Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I guess a lot of people were having problems with the ~pearl~ vs. muffin debate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SRtpEvkgRU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

whatever7 posted:

It had terrible editing, I also thought the tech was let go.

Teddy gives him a gun with one bullet and says it's his "last mercy" god drat how are goons so loving stupid

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

packetmantis posted:

Teddy gives him a gun with one bullet and says it's his "last mercy" god drat how are goons so loving stupid

People thought they were just abandoning him in the middle of no where. The "last mercy" would giving him a method to kill himself instead of starving to death. You don't have to be such a jerk about it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Goddamn I swear if this poo poo is Lost all over again and Westworld doesn't actually matter because it's fake as gently caress I'm gonna lose my poo poo

Like how do you not learn that lesson from the Lost backlash and decide day 1 you're not going to pull that crap

Gonna stop you right there, because I assume that you think that they were dead the entire time in Lost.

But you would be wrong (and have terrible viewing comprehension). Because they were only dead in the season 6 "alternate universe" segments, not the entire show. This is literally spelled out by Jack's dad in the final moments. I don't care what people think of Lost, but they were not dead the whole time and nothing in the finale rendered everything else "pointless."

However, the fact that so many people rip Lost apart for something that didn't actually even happen on the show should show everyone that a much tighter, more competent show like this is not going to attempt that and having hissy fits over assuming they will is loving stupid.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

I went back and checked and there's one shot where the landscape is moving the wrong way (as though the car the bots are on is leading), but in the rest of the shots it's correct (with the tech's car leading).

Aside from the one goofed shot there's enough cues to tell which car is leading, but for maximum clarity there probably could have been a long-shot from the side as the cars separated.

I think maybe the landscape thing got me. I've never had any issues with paying attention to Westworld but I too was confused as to why they left the tech behind and then essentially blew themselves up. At some point when they step over to the other car it looked like they were moving forward or something, I don't know.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
This TV show may be too hard to follow for some goons, even when things are explicitly shown on screen. Maybe they should bring in a narrator for season 3, hopefully Delores because she spends most of her time monologuing anyways.

e: just watched the scene again and everything points to him being in the front car attached to the locomotive. All backround movement points to it aswell.

mustard_tiger fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 29, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Use your heads! The train was moving one way in one timeline but the shot of it moving the other way shows us there’s another timeline.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

The "last mercy" would giving him a method to kill himself instead of starving to death.

no poo poo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Then what are you complaining about? The options were "Here, shoot yourself before this train smashes into the mesa and blows up." Or "We're letting you go. You might want to just shoot yourself instead of wasting away in the desert."

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I think the other scene showing the train pulling away from Teddy and Delores should clue the viewers in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yes, and the action occurring on screen draws the viewer's eyes away from subtle details like which direction the background is moving and the small portion of the engine we are able to see.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I hope that MiB and his daughter are both humans and their conversation and his forgetting a detail about her childhood that obviously meant something to her is just an indicator that he's neglected his family for a long time rather than some host memory test

Pretty sure that's what it was based on his reaction. He was trying to be a good dad but hosed up.

That whole scene was great. Ed Harris did so much acting just with his eyes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm a pretty smart guy who is good at watching TV and I didn't realize that Dolores et al. weren't on the train that crashed until I read it here. It was not obvious that they uncoupled from the rest of the train not vice versa.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I also thought Deloras et al were also on the explodey bit, it was poorly shot.

mustard_tiger posted:

I think the other scene showing the train pulling away from Teddy and Delores should clue the viewers in.

A train pulling away also looks like a cart falling back.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Pirate Radar posted:

Use your heads! The train was moving one way in one timeline but the shot of it moving the other way shows us there’s another timeline.

The train is inside the cradle being simulated to move in different directions to decide the best outcome. There's a scenario where it's moving up and also Dolores is a T-Rex (Jurassic World spoiler).

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Megabound posted:

I also thought Deloras et al were also on the explodey bit

LOL that would be amazing

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Teddy gave the tech one bullet because up ahead there’s a section of track that the Chinese laborers we saw earlier are working on. If the tech lets the train go through it will kill the Chinese laborers, but if he uses the gun to shoot a railway switch the train will divert onto a section of track that the cool coyote dog that keeps showing up is on. Which does he pick???

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The gun and the bullet were sponsored by Burger King.

Burger King: A place for hamburgers.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Megabound posted:

A train pulling away also looks like a cart falling back.

Except the train pulling away had the tech on it? And it was pulling away in the direction of travel. I never want to be a passenger in a car driven by you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mustard_tiger posted:

Except the train pulling away had the tech on it? And it was pulling away in the direction of travel. I never want to be a passenger in a car driven by you.

If you are focusing on the tech banging on the door and not the rest of the scene, him moving away from the car the camera is attached to can look like he is dropping back from the rest of the train.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
People generally associate movement from left to right as going forward. Lateral direction to the right is understood as progress, while towards the left implies regression. In the same way, having the tech on the left side of the frame and the hosts on right also implies that he's behind them and that they instead are progressing, rather than (in actuality) lagging behind while he accelerates forward. I realize the background makes it clear that the train is moving to the left - however, any time you see the background there's focus and action going on at the forefront (the host pulling the pin, Teddy loading the gun, the tech's reaction, etc.) and there's no final establishing shot to make it clear what's actually going on (the last shot of the scene is Teddy's grumpy face).

I too was confused. I was unsure if the direction was deliberate, but now I think it was in order to conceal the Dolores' plan from the audience for ~another 2 minutes. It looks like it just resulted in confusion rather than surprise, though.*

e.g.

Watch the fellowship again sometime and realize that the journey from the Shire to Mt. Doom is framed from left to right, e.g. the characters travel towards the right side of the screen. This is common cinematic language that you can see in pretty much every tv show/film.

i remember this from a youtube video, i'll try to find it and post it if anyone's interested.

*Although rewatching now and the shot goes from the interior, where they realize there's a train coming, to a shot of the train, followed by a shot of the hosts. Again, implying that the hosts are on the train. Last shot is of Dolores looking away disinterestedly before the train disappears inside the mountain and an explosion is heard. It's kinda weirdly shot, to be honest.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk if this is better or worse than arguing about how guns and swords work.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So the ball goes in the train, right?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
anything's better than guns and swords chat, move on to train chat please

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pirate Radar posted:

So the ball goes in the train, right?

I thought it was the other way around tbh. Clearly this is setting up the return of the shrink ray, and Dolores crashed the train car into Bernard's ball while it was in the cradle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This was all just a thought experiment in the mind of an autistic Robert Ford child robot.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Going to have to second the Goons are bad at watching television thread rename.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You've never been outside the forums, have you? I have. And the world out there is marked by being bad at watching television, too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The truth is most people are bad at watching television.

Not me tho I'm really good at it!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Caufman posted:

You've never been outside the forums, have you? I have. And the world out there is marked by being bad at watching television, too.

You keep talking about outside the forums. If it's so great out there, why does everyone one to get into the forums where they can be obtuse and refuse to see something from another person's perspective?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I'm really good at watching TV and have been for decades and if you don't like it then, well..

*shoves a white hot fireplace poker into your bladder*

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Despera posted:

Going to have to second the Goons are bad at watching television thread rename.

I mean that’s what this entire forums should be called.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Caufman posted:

I think most people on the outside world were sure that dolores didnt blow herself up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I want to know the engineer who decided that the backup mainframe should be bathed in various shades of red for maximum ominous atmosphere.

Seriously, was someone trying and failing to larp as Eugene "The Plague" Belford?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I understood that Dolores wouldn't blow herself up but I still second-guessed what I saw because of the bad editing. I mean there is literally a shot of the tech where the ground is going in the wrong direction. All it needed was a clearer shot that shows that the car the tech is in is attached to the engine.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

double nine posted:

I want to know the engineer who decided that the backup mainframe should be bathed in various shades of red for maximum ominous atmosphere.

Seriously, was someone trying and failing to larp as Eugene "The Plague" Belford?

Oh goddamnit. Ford created a Delos version of the Da Vinci virus, didn't he?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Despera posted:

I think most people on the outside world were sure that dolores didnt blow herself up.

Maaan, don't reveal that you don't really know what people outside these forums think.

Cojawfee posted:

You keep talking about outside the forums. If it's so great out there, why does everyone one to get into the forums where they can be obtuse and refuse to see something from another person's perspective?

You frighten me sometimes, Cojawfee.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goons s1 based on one tiny little visual clue: SOLVES THE MYSTERY OF THE RIDDLE OF SEASON 1

Goons s2: based upon a poorly edited sequence: HOW TO TRAIN? HOW DO I TRAIN? TRAIN GO CHOO CHOO?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

was ... the real train ... inside of us ... all along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Have you ever questioned which way the train is going?