Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
It's only 9:30 in Orange County, they're still filming the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

RJWaters2 posted:

It's only 9:30 in Orange County, they're still filming the show

They film on location in the OC.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
don't call it that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nichael posted:

Netflix and Hulu shows typically upload at 3 AM EST, midnight Pacific.
Balls.

Edit: COME ON!

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 29, 2018

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It's on. 10 minutes 'till the intro?!

Edit: Holy poo poo. Michael Cera is very much a dude now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Clip from Conan works way better with the context the scene beforehand provides.

:siren: S5 SPOILER RULES :siren:

Gonna try and go for the usual TVIV thing and say spoiler tag any specifics (and mention what episode they’re from) until June 4. That gives people the rest of the week to watch through the eps. After that, everything can be untagged. If a mod comes in with different rules feel free to ignore me of course

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

First episode's a slow burn but pretty good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fartington Butts posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo. Michael Cera is very much a dude now.

Holy crap you weren’t kidding

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Man there's a lot of exposition and narration in the first couple. Hopefully it loosens up

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

T.C. posted:

Man there's a lot of exposition and narration in the first couple. Hopefully it loosens up

Even with that I'm now super glad I watched the remix straight before this.

I'm starting to get the feeling this seasons going to be spent filling in the last five years again.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Steve2911 posted:

Even with that I'm now super glad I watched the remix straight before this.

I'm starting to get the feeling this seasons going to be spent filling in the last five years again.

It's like that for the first two episodes, but I'm on e5 and it feels like since e3 the show is taking off again.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jesus, the Lindsay CGI is somehow worse than season 4.

Season is pretty good, though. Maebe really is the standout, as of episode 5.

I really wish they'd cut it with the Ron Howard crap. It wasn't funny in the last season, and everytime they go back to it the show drags.

Caros fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 29, 2018

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Will Arnett looks terrible. Like he might have a drinking problem or something.

Caros
May 14, 2008

clown shoes posted:

Or he's just older than you remember. At worst he's put on a few pounds.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Caros posted:

Or he's just older than you remember. At worst he's put on a few pounds.

They all look older but there's something about the weight in his face.

edit: In this profile from 2016 he opens up about drinking again while doing Flaked after being sober for 15 years.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/will-arnett-flaked-a-comedians-878795

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 29, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My favourite joke from the first two episodes is when George Michael and Maeby try and remember Lucille’s quote about sending all the murderers and rapists to an island, and then the discussion at the end about whether there would be one murderer or one raped murderer left.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

My favourite joke from the first two episodes is when George Michael and Maeby try and remember Lucille’s quote about sending all the murderers and rapists to an island, and then the discussion at the end about whether there would be one murderer or one raped murderer left.

Well yeah, he'd definitely be raped.

The writing was pretty tight in the season overall for solid wordplay, though they teased a few reveals too obviously. Honestly my only big complaints are stuff that ties into season 4 like Rebel.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just finished the fourth episode. It's good so far, but not as good as the first three seasons. It feels like it was made with a lot less money - the almost total lack of recurring characters outside of the Bluths themselves is really noticeable. It just feels kind of sparser than AD typically feels.

I think so far the only returning characters are Kitty, John Beard, Steve Holt, Stan Sitwell, and Rebel Alley in a single scene that seems like it was filmed during season 4 but held on to.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can't wait for the next eight episodes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Everybody looks terrible. TV shows should stop being made after the actors start looking different.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just love the aging process we see George Michael go through mid-scene.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Binged all 8 episodes, and it was definitely a step up from S4. They cut and ran from a lot of S4's less interesting ideas, without feeling like they abandoned them. High hopes for the second half now that those loose ends are tied up.

(Ep 8) They still didn't reveal that Michael did a horrible Thing on Quatro. I'll have to rewatch these to discern which "George" scenes were Oscar. I knew talking to Lindsay in that bar was when I first saw it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think there is something really funny about the phrase Uncle Michael.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

clown shoes posted:

He does. He is/was sober for a while but he had some interviews about a relapse not toooo long ago.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Season 5's terrible. Season 4 had marginally more jokes. Both bad.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Steve2911 posted:

I just love the aging process we see George Michael go through mid-scene.

Which I thought they kinda acknowledge with GM’s repeated “that’s...all in the past now”.

edit: also seconding that Will Arnett is looking rough.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I am not liking this season at all. Whoever said it feels cheap was right on the money, so to speak.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

clown shoes posted:

I am not liking this season at all. Whoever said it feels cheap was right on the money, so to speak.

Yeah, this didn't feel great. It seems off for a lot of reasons. I think season 4 was really good, but this half season didn't work out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I really felt like this slogged as it went on and was straining so hard to tell a story it forgot to have many jokes. Maeby was the best bit probably. Only having half of the season definitely doesn’t help. Shame cos I really thought it came back strong.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

After that half season, I feel like the cast should lose George, Lindsey, and Tobias. George and Tobias feel extraneous, and Lindsey had a central plot, but Portia basically wasn't in the show. Or just make it a George Michael and Maeby spinoff. It all needs to be tighter.

I don't really know if watching most of it at 3 to 5 AM made me miss stuff, but it was pretty disappointing.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Haven't seen it yet but I definitely don't think binging the whole series at 3 a.m. is the best way to do it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just finished the half-season. It doesn't quite blow me away, and there are parts of it I think are weaker than 4, but parts that I also think are stronger. Though the almost complete lack of Lindsey is very noticeable, as is the green-screen. I do think it gets stronger as it goes, especially the last 3-4 episodes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Just finished the half-season. It doesn't quite blow me away, and there are parts of it I think are weaker than 4, but parts that I also think are stronger. Though the almost complete lack of Lindsey is very noticeable, as is the green-screen. I do think it gets stronger as it goes, especially the last 3-4 episodes.
I'd agree with this. I think it gets too caught up in trying to keep hold of its plot - the plot isn't as interesting or told as well as Season 4's - but it's also funnier and has better individual moments. There's a lot of great bits I liked, but I'd struggle to explain what was happening. I felt the opposite about 4, which I think told a great story and had some fantastic character moments but wasn't especially funny and struggled for memorable scenes.

The Keystone Kops bit in this could never have happened in 4, because the episodes weren't structured right, and it's my favorite moment in 5. But in terms of plot and character development I would have been okay if the show ended with Michael getting punched in the face.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I didn’t really follow the production at all- is this half of a season that was produced and is being released in two parts, or a half-sized season, with no back half being held in reserve?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

3 episodes in, it's ok but a lot of it feels like S4: Part II.

clown shoes posted:

The ones that stood out for me after so many years off was Jessica Walter and Jeffrey Tambor. They are the oldest in the cast, but in S4 they seemed like they were getting frail, which is why it surprised me when they announced a S5 at all.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Hello, darkness, my old friend...

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I made it through the first two episodes (and maybe that NYT interview is too much on my mind), but I think I'm going to bounce off this series. There doesn't seem to be any jokes, or even amusing little turns of phrase - just characters moving around and things happening around them (yes, I know that's basically what sitcoms are - you know what I mean).

Does it pick up noticeably down the line? I'm one of those people who really liked S4 once it all started clicking into place, but I'm just not digging the vibe with this one.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MorgaineDax posted:

Hello, darkness, my old friend...

I’m now old enough to see Michael Cera’s receding hairline. Time don’t stop for anyone.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I didn’t really follow the production at all- is this half of a season that was produced and is being released in two parts, or a half-sized season, with no back half being held in reserve?

The former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Matinee posted:

Does it pick up noticeably down the line? I'm one of those people who really liked S4 once it all started clicking into place, but I'm just not digging the vibe with this one.

Yeah, as I wrote above, I do think that the second half of the (mini) season is much stronger than the first half, even if it does still have its issues.

One thing that does change in the second half, there are more of the recurring characters who show up, so it feels less focused entirely around the core cast (sans Lindsey).

• Locked thread