Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

You think with the amount of autists in here we'd be slam dunking this train poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Pirate Radar posted:

Have you ever questioned which way the train is going?

Have you ever seen anything so full of steam power?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Westworld Season 2: Have you ever questioned the nature of the forums?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Despera posted:

I think most people on the outside world were sure that dolores didnt blow herself up.
I rather stupidly thought that they were going to do a T-1000 and walk out of the flames guns blazing or something. :smith:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
A train leaves Westworld carrying Dolores and the tech at 11:00 am, averaging 60 mph.
Another train headed in the opposite direction leaves ShogunWorld carrying Maev at 1:00 pm, averaging 90 mph.
To the nearest mile, how far are the two trains from RajWorld at 3:00 pm

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Despera posted:

A train leaves Westworld carrying Dolores and the tech at 11:00 am, averaging 60 mph.
Another train headed in the opposite direction leaves ShogunWorld carrying Maev at 1:00 pm, averaging 90 mph.
To the nearest mile, how far are the two trains from RajWorld at 3:00 pm

Not enjoying Ford's new riddle. :(

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Everything potentially being a simulation means there are absolutely no stakes in the show and everything can just be explained away with "that didn't actually happen".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I guess a lot of people were having problems with the ~pearl~ vs. muffin debate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SRtpEvkgRU

They'll always be cupcakes to me.

Cojawfee posted:

People thought they were just abandoning him in the middle of no where. The "last mercy" would giving him a method to kill himself instead of starving to death. You don't have to be such a jerk about it.

Middle of nowhere, right in front of the Mesa?

There is no "middle of nowhere" in the park. It's a park.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 29, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
props to whoever did the Lakota language translation/coaching, the Ghost Nation rider might even have been a native speaker, they did it well other than Thandie Newton being bad at pronouncing it (to be fair most native English speakers can't handle the gutturals well). she sounds like she's trying to speak Japanese or something.

Lakota has different endings depending on whether the speaker is male (yo/yelo) or female (ye/ksto) and movies usually gently caress it up and use all the same endings depending on the gender of the translator, for example Dances With Wolves often uses female endings for male speakers

visually the Ghost Nation is a mashup but they did the language right and I'm interested to see where they take them

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mustard_tiger posted:

This TV show may be too hard to follow for some goons, even when things are explicitly shown on screen. Maybe they should bring in a narrator for season 3, hopefully Delores because she spends most of her time monologuing anyways.

e: just watched the scene again and everything points to him being in the front car attached to the locomotive. All backround movement points to it aswell.

The one shot where the scenery was "moving the wrong way" was after the tech turned around and was facing in the other direction.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I thought the Westworld walkthrough sequence was a visual metaphor for a computer exploring another computer but I'm happy to learn the detailed explanation that it's actually a literal simulation chamber program. I'm not offended by being wrong because it's just a tv show and also communication is equal parts interpretation by a sender and recipient of a message.

The train bit probably could have been framed better though.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I miss the hosts failing to understand something and just saying things like "doesn't look like anything to me". Now it feels like several characters happen to be called hosts, but they essentially behave exactly as slightly autistic humans do. I suppose this is explained as them having awakened now, but it's a nuance that feels like its been lost somewhere.

I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't feel like there is any real delineation between hosts and humans now, other than the hosts (or most of them anyway) being suddenly psychopaths.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cojawfee posted:

People thought they were just abandoning him in the middle of no where. The "last mercy" would giving him a method to kill himself instead of starving to death. You don't have to be such a jerk about it.

yeah, I though that too. So looks like Im also "bad at TV"

It was an interesting episode, but probably the weakest of S2 so far

I like rear end in a top hat Teddy properly answering to Dolores bullshit

Is Hopkins back for real or are they doing some CGI trick?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

Everything potentially being a simulation means there are absolutely no stakes in the show and everything can just be explained away with "that didn't actually happen".

Where is this everything is a simulation thing coming from? At worst, one storyline being seen (outside of Bernard being in the Cradle this episode) will be shown to be actually in the Cradle and have impact on the outside world.

Even if it is multilayered, it's no different than Inception, where this still "matters" so its a weird complaint.

Like someone said earlier, this is very reminiscent of people not understanding the last Lost season and thinking they were dead all along.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

The one shot where the scenery was "moving the wrong way" was after the tech turned around and was facing in the other direction.

The goofed shot is the one where he stands up from the seated position. He's facing the back of the train the entire scene. He doesn't turn around.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Gonna stop you right there, because I assume that you think that they were dead the entire time in Lost.

I don't. But every mystery of the show was wrapped up in 'the only thing that matters is that you die some day and go to this cool afterlife where you get to see all your friends so be a hero and they'll like you in death'.

There was so much intrigue, mystery, plot points, details, questions, and deep lore that went completely unaddressed. And if you're not going to address it, why the gently caress would you introduce it to begin with? Those motherfuckers had no idea what they were doing and scrambled for a sub-par ending to cash out and walk away, and it rendered most of the show worthless.

And at points, I'm worried Westworld doesn't have an adequate roadmap to explain these little details they throw out there. They purposefully drop clues to build a mystery, and I really hope they circle back for all of it instead of saying "oh that part was a simulation, didn't count, don't worry about it".

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The train thing still isn’t as dumb as the muffin/ball discussion. I have hopes we can get there though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Westworld is back baby awooooo! (wolf howl)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Someone please link me to the list of all scenes that have had the black bars at top and bottom, i only remember the intro and bernard in the matrix

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I hope that MiB and his daughter are both humans and their conversation and his forgetting a detail about her childhood that obviously meant something to her is just an indicator that he's neglected his family for a long time rather than some host memory test

Yeah, though I figured her saying “Come back with me and we’ll try a fresh start” is what convinced him she wasn’t real. He, being the lovely guy he is, couldn’t believe in a willingness to forgive. Especially in his own daughter who reminds him so much of himself. The tragedy being she really is human and just wants to have a relationship with her dad.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, though I figured her saying “Come back with me and we’ll try a fresh start” is what convinced him she wasn’t real. He, being the lovely guy he is, couldn’t believe in a willingness to forgive. Especially in his own daughter who reminds him so much of himself. The tragedy being she really is human and just wants to have a relationship with her dad.

Sort of a dick move leaving her asleep alone in the hostile park, that is for sure.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

The goofed shot is the one where he stands up from the seated position. He's facing the back of the train the entire scene. He doesn't turn around.

It also happens to be the most important shot for establishing direction before the action of decoupling is presented to the viewer. It shows how tight tv needs to be and why it's so drat hard to make a professional looking, high-quality production.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

packetmantis posted:

Teddy gives him a gun with one bullet and says it's his "last mercy" god drat how are goons so loving stupid

It would make sense if the show had a loving foreshadowing regarding this loving tech. This is not a documentary. You tell story in a some what consistent style.

Show could have included a 3 second clip of Dolores telling hardcore Teddy where they are going they don't need him anymore.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I figured it was obvious they don’t need them once Teddy executed the other guy??

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the tech dying started a doomsday clock, when it reaches 0, Delores will wish she could reset teddy. I'm thinking 2.33 episodes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TTerrible posted:

The train thing still isn’t as dumb as the muffin/ball discussion. I have hopes we can get there though.

I’m not sure if these are dumber than the True Detective thread wondering which of them was the True Detective

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

double nine posted:

the tech dying started a doomsday clock, when it reaches 0, Delores will wish she could reset teddy. I'm thinking 2.33 episodes.

That would put us a third of the way into episode 8. I'm guessing it's episode 9 and in episode 10 he shoots her.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

whatever7 posted:

It would make sense if the show had a loving foreshadowing regarding this loving tech. This is not a documentary. You tell story in a some what consistent style.

Show could have included a 3 second clip of Dolores telling hardcore Teddy where they are going they don't need him anymore.

You're totally right on this - given how much Dolores monologuing we have to sit through it seems pretty weird that we didn't have any sort of comment about it. Presumably something would have been said at some point considering they've repeatedly used the tech's abilities and Dolores may have use for him again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

That would put us a third of the way into episode 8. I'm guessing it's episode 9 and in episode 10 he shoots her.

Not consistent with the intro of Teddy floating in the pond - she'd have to shoot him.

Also I wasn't paying much attention and was briefly confused by the train scene but it all snapped into focus when the engine blows up. I'm guessing that is the misdirection that was intended.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TTerrible posted:

That was entirely my fault, and I'm normally one of the people who accuses others at being bad at watching TV.

I just figured the show was trying to set up a different thing and they hadn't used the words "control unit" for the brains enough at that point so I thought it was a different thing.

I still do think having Bernard pick up a ball instead of a whole muffin/brain thing was needlessly confusing though.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
The scene where the release the train shows the tech pulling away as Dolores and the crew are seen slowing down.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Caros posted:

Sort of a dick move leaving her asleep alone in the hostile park, that is for sure.

Unless he knows that the tech to put someone’s consciousness into a host (what they were trying to do with Delos and ostensibly why they need to get Delores father out) is working. So, if she dies, no big deal. Just 3D print up a new host body and she’s good to go

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

WampaLord posted:

That was entirely my fault, and I'm normally one of the people who accuses others at being bad at watching TV.

I just figured the show was trying to set up a different thing and they hadn't used the words "control unit" for the brains enough at that point so I thought it was a different thing.

I still do think having Bernard pick up a ball instead of a whole muffin/brain thing was needlessly confusing though.

They read to me as external HDD caddies and HDDs from the off. I suspect they've shown the component parts and how they interact for some reason though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So William sold Delos on the Park because they could use it figure out what they really wanted. How exactly? They are in a Wild West Theme Park. The answer is in the combination of predictive algorithms, and using a analogue of those guests and simulating them in a virtual environment.

They build up as good a copy of them as they can, make predicitions, and get the fidelity test right. Then iterate circumstances in which the simulations are offered, well I don't know what Delos offers other than BioTech and the Park, whatever. They hone their personalised marketing based on the results of those iterations.

Does that make sense? Glory is like the matrix, but it was build to try and find the best way to sell things to people, by simulating their guests, and testing their sales techniques in numerous, perhaps millions, of run throughs.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TTerrible posted:

They read to me as external HDD caddies and HDDs from the off. I suspect they've shown the component parts and how they interact for some reason though.

To my credit, I will say that I had no problem realizing that Dolores and crew did NOT blow themselves up :v:

But giving the tech a gun with one shot does seem like a very very small act of mercy considering he's going to die in like 20 seconds. It would make more sense if you thought the tech was going to be abandoned in the middle of nowhere, but I guess they're just trying to show that Evil!Teddy's idea of "mercy" is hardly merciful.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Collateral posted:

So William sold Delos on the Park because they could use it figure out what they really wanted. How exactly? They are in a Wild West Theme Park. The answer is in the combination of predictive algorithms, and using a analogue of those guests and simulating them in a virtual environment..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1wwn5PqbZw

Delos' interest in the park is to use Host technology to extend his own life and escape his mortality. It is explained here. Kinda boring but that's his end game.

It's probably The Board that wants to use it as a mass brain scanning/predictive marketing/blackmail tool for the rich and powerful.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 29, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Collateral posted:

So William sold Delos on the Park because they could use it figure out what they really wanted. How exactly? They are in a Wild West Theme Park. The answer is in the combination of predictive algorithms, and using a analogue of those guests and simulating them in a virtual environment.

They build up as good a copy of them as they can, make predicitions, and get the fidelity test right. Then iterate circumstances in which the simulations are offered, well I don't know what Delos offers other than BioTech and the Park, whatever. They hone their personalised marketing based on the results of those iterations.

Does that make sense? Glory is like the matrix, but it was build to try and find the best way to sell things to people, by simulating their guests, and testing their sales techniques in numerous, perhaps millions, of run throughs.

Marketing whatever Delos has its fingers in. Corporations spend billions of dollars a year on marketing research and that only gets you an idea of the consumer that the consumer is willing to admit to. You take away the fear of being judged and you get a view of what that person is truly like, something William has real experience with. So Delos takes all that and now knows exactly how to market to these people in ways that will really speak to them. It’s a holy grail of one to one marketing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Sir, we've gathered enough data on the target.

Excellent, our masterplan is now complete. Billions of dollars, hundreds of lives, and perhaps....our very souls have been sold for this very moment.

All we need is your confirmation.

*solemnly looks out over the park*

Do it.

*me at home*

wtf every other commercial is a Carls Jr ad where a Geisha is eating a hamburger now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Sir, we've gathered enough data on the target.

Excellent, our masterplan is now complete. Billions of dollars, hundreds of lives, and perhaps....our very souls have been sold for this very moment.

All we need is your confirmation.

*solemnly looks out over the park*

Do it.

*me at home*

wtf every other commercial is a Carls Jr ad where a Geisha is eating a hamburger now

Then you buy out Carls Jr and make them stop the ads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Durzel posted:

I miss the hosts failing to understand something and just saying things like "doesn't look like anything to me". Now it feels like several characters happen to be called hosts, but they essentially behave exactly as slightly autistic humans do. I suppose this is explained as them having awakened now, but it's a nuance that feels like its been lost somewhere.

I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't feel like there is any real delineation between hosts and humans now, other than the hosts (or most of them anyway) being suddenly psychopaths.

I...isn't this the premise of the show? :confused: