Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Is the Terraforming Candidate anomaly super common for anyone else? I've got something like two dozen candidates in my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Almost every time I get a precursor homeworld it's some sort of situation like this with me in red.

Like yeah great technically the SYSTEM is very close to my territory, but the hyperlane will be connected to some other arm/cluster of a rival.

If I remember correctly, it spawns between 5-8 jumps of your capital. It ignores bypasses (wormhole / gateway), but otherwise will spawn anywhere within range.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

Nordick posted:

I got the Vultaum homeworld in this game and it's smack dab in the middle of my empire.

What I do have a problem with though, is one of the new Distant Stars events that gives you coordinates to some ancient laboratory, and in two games in a row now I've had it point to literally the opposite edge of the galaxy.

EDIT: The animal speciments get really spread out too, for the reward they eventually give. I don't mind having to get up to some shenanigans to grab that goddamn Tarblac from my neighbour's territory, but having to run all over the galaxy for them can be a bit much. Easier now with the experimental subspace thingy for science ships, admittedly.

Also got the homeworld in a very good location.

However it is 1356, the galaxy is fully mapped and I still haven't seen a single fallen empire (set 3 to spawn) and also have a living ocean anomaly that looks interesting but it requires building a research station above the planet. Unfortunately the planet has no research resources so I don't appear to be able to advance this. Hoping that there is a beta this week with a few fixes because I'm very much enjoying this playthrough.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

binge crotching posted:

If I remember correctly, it spawns between 5-8 jumps of your capital. It ignores bypasses (wormhole / gateway), but otherwise will spawn anywhere within range.

It must be 5-8 jumps based on the old proximity system, because it is definitely not 5-8 hyperspace jumps in my current game. The border to my neighbor was about 9 jumps, and then I had to conquer three systems off them to have access to the precursor system.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Skippy McPants posted:

Is the Terraforming Candidate anomaly super common for anyone else? I've got something like two dozen candidates in my game.

Yes, it's fairly common for me to have between 10-20 of them in a large galaxy now. It's better than it was before where you had maybe 1 if you were lucky but it seems it may be a little too common now? But at the same time if a planet had a active magnetosphere and gravity strong enough to retain gasses why couldn't I just slam asteroids into it until the air became breathable?

binge crotching posted:

When the game pulls cheap poo poo like this I just save scum. So long as the event hasn't fired the spawn point will change when you reload.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is anyone else real grumpy about the way other empire's territory auto-explores now? It makes anomolies pretty much entirely an early game thing, now that they've been expanded it'd be real cool to be getting more advanced ones in the late game. I'm going to try and disestablish an empire tonight by taking only their planets, curious to see if it will de-explore space and let me re-survey it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Once a planet (or other celestial object) is scanned by anyone you can no longer get an anomaly from it regardless of whether you scanned it or not. So going around scanning other empire's territory was just wasting your science ship's time when they could be scanning things that have yet to be explored. From the outcome of various wars when a system reverts to neutral (i.e. no one controls it anymore) it will change back to 'unexplored' but since it's likely already been scanned you won't get anything special from it anyway. (At least this is the way it used to be in earlier versions but I don't recall reading anything to the contrary lately)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I'm noticing that space which gets revealed by empire communications being established confuses the auto survey because while the new empire's systems are revealed the hyperlanes exits are not (though as a player you can see it on the map). Auto-explore thinks there are no unsurveyed systems available until you manually send the ship over first.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So question.

If I start as a Oligarchy with Civil Service, then switch to Empire will I be forced to repick/lose Civil Service. As it's Requirements will no longer be met.

I'm really stuck on an Imperial Empire where newly conquered aliens start as slaves but through service can gain citizenship ( not voting rights obviously, but at least rights. ). Kinda baffled I can't seem to do this.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

(At least this is the way it used to be in earlier versions but I don't recall reading anything to the contrary lately)

This seems to be no longer the case, because as of the current patch I've gotten anomalies from systems formerly claimed by other empires.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Anyone do the L-Cluster and get the Freed Dragon, Immature Sample (or something like that). It flew off to another part of the galaxy and I've almost tracked it down, but I'm curious what will happen.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Is anyone else real grumpy about the way other empire's territory auto-explores now? It makes anomolies pretty much entirely an early game thing, now that they've been expanded it'd be real cool to be getting more advanced ones in the late game. I'm going to try and disestablish an empire tonight by taking only their planets, curious to see if it will de-explore space and let me re-survey it.

the solution is diplomatic anomalies ala star trek where inhabited planets spawn a new pool of anomalies that have to do with both weird science things and various diplomatic scenarios

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rookersh posted:

So question.

If I start as a Oligarchy with Civil Service, then switch to Empire will I be forced to repick/lose Civil Service. As it's Requirements will no longer be met.

I'm really stuck on an Imperial Empire where newly conquered aliens start as slaves but through service can gain citizenship ( not voting rights obviously, but at least rights. ). Kinda baffled I can't seem to do this.

Yeah, any civic whose requirements are no longer met will go inactive until you either meet the requirements again or reform out of it. The Citizen Service civic doesn't actually do anything with citizenship though, it's just fluff. You can edit species rights in any form of government and change from slavery to residency or whatever you want regardless of your form of government.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1001063470123638784

Wiz you are a beautiful and magical being

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Jazerus posted:

the solution is diplomatic anomalies ala star trek where inhabited planets spawn a new pool of anomalies that have to do with both weird science things and various diplomatic scenarios

I heartily endorse this idea or product

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know of a conversion mod that gives buildings and etc a organic look? I already found the "Scourge Ships" mod that gives me organic ships, now i just need the buildings.

Edit: Just cosmetic changes i mean, altering how the vanilla buildings look.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, any civic whose requirements are no longer met will go inactive until you either meet the requirements again or reform out of it. The Citizen Service civic doesn't actually do anything with citizenship though, it's just fluff. You can edit species rights in any form of government and change from slavery to residency or whatever you want regardless of your form of government.

Oh! Huh.

So how would I go about setting it.

I can't check at work, but is there basically a tab in the rights screen that lets me set people as slaves, but also gives then full rights if they serve?

My ideal is.

- Core species is always full citizenship.

- Set as Xenophile/Militaristic/Authoritarian. Any species that migrate naturally get full citizenship ( because they chose to join our great Empire and obviously already believe in our cause. ).

- Any species we annex/conquer will be enslaved. However if they serve in the military they will gain full freedom. No exceptions here, even Weak can serve.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I feel like it would be cool if we could set citizen rights by planet, so we could set up like penal colonies and poo poo, or the opposite like paradise worlds where any pop could be sent to enjoy full social welfare regardless of their usual species rights.

Maybe not practical or useful, but cool.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Citizen Service actually does effect citizenship in that any species with full military serivce has to be given full citizenship if you have it. It doesn't really matter in play but it is an interesting touch.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nordick posted:

I feel like it would be cool if we could set citizen rights by planet, so we could set up like penal colonies and poo poo, or the opposite like paradise worlds where any pop could be sent to enjoy full social welfare regardless of their usual species rights.

Maybe not practical or useful, but cool.

Don't populations count as like 1 million people? That wouldn't be a prison world, it would be a gulag world.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Oh! Huh.

So how would I go about setting it.

I can't check at work, but is there basically a tab in the rights screen that lets me set people as slaves, but also gives then full rights if they serve?

My ideal is.

- Core species is always full citizenship.

- Set as Xenophile/Militaristic/Authoritarian. Any species that migrate naturally get full citizenship ( because they chose to join our great Empire and obviously already believe in our cause. ).

- Any species we annex/conquer will be enslaved. However if they serve in the military they will gain full freedom. No exceptions here, even Weak can serve.

You can't set anything in species rights as being contingent on military service because that's not a concept the game recognizes, you'll have to do it manually. You can prevent a species from serving, or let them be in armies but not become generals, but you can't do a full on "only pops that serve in the military become citizens" because the game just doesn't simulate that.

Jabarto posted:

Citizen Service actually does effect citizenship in that any species with full military serivce has to be given full citizenship if you have it. It doesn't really matter in play but it is an interesting touch.

I forgot this until I checked the wiki but yeah, it does limit your options, it just doesn't fully recognize the concept of "service guarantees citizenship" because pops don't ever "serve" per se.

The wiki has a pretty good breakdown of species rights: https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Species_rights

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rutibex posted:

Don't populations count as like 1 million people? That wouldn't be a prison world, it would be a gulag world.

I don't really care, the whole pop thing is so abstract to begin with. Pops are just pops to me, I don't really concern myself with what they're supposed to represent "in the real world".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

When did they get rid of the ticking upward war exhaustion for the WiH?

It was a good move, it makes it way easier to finish the dang thing, just wondering when.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jazerus posted:

This is brilliant. A “diplomatic incident!” anomaly class for inhabited systems would be awesome and could replace just parking your science ships on assist or decommissioning them after the initial exploration phase.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Baronjutter posted:

-Diplomacy and federations and vassals, they've been tweaked a bit since launch but all are pretty bad and lacklustre.
I am really hoping Federations get a major look over soon, because it just feels like such an empty system right now. I think being able to have different ways a president can be chosen or elected would be a good start as well as giving more advantages to a federation than just no border friction and a naval capacity pool.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm playing a life-seeded empire tall empire and really struggling with unity. I can't find any ways to get it other than Strongholds and the temple building. If I give my droids Propaganda Machines it only boosts the unity output if the tile they're on is already putting out Unity, right? Otherwise I'd just give propaganda machine to every droid. Anything else I can do other than Curator poo poo?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CrazyTolradi posted:

I am really hoping Federations get a major look over soon, because it just feels like such an empty system right now. I think being able to have different ways a president can be chosen or elected would be a good start as well as giving more advantages to a federation than just no border friction and a naval capacity pool.

Chosen?? Elected?! Any diplomacy/federation DLC that doesn't add the full breadth of CK2 monarchistic succession types will be a failure. Plus some sort of EU4 style HRE mechanics!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Need space NATO with crises over the butterflies only allocating 5.98% gdp to military spending when the charter clearly states an even 6%, the free riding winged fucks.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Chosen?? Elected?! Any diplomacy/federation DLC that doesn't add the full breadth of CK2 monarchistic succession types will be a failure. Plus some sort of EU4 style HRE mechanics!
Yeah, EU4 HRE mechanics was something that came to mind for how one type of Federation could be structured.

Mostly I was inspired by elements of the Civ 4/5 UN system as well as the Alliance system Space Empires 5 put in place.

One of the mods I play with, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1325109871, has some great ideas and works mostly fine if you're just in a fed with human players. Has some bugs, but isn't bad for a mod.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eiba posted:

I don't know if the random gifts from strangers is working the way it's supposed to, but in practice it has been for me. Every time someone I don't know gives me a gift like that I call them back up and give them a nonagression pact, and going forward I take more of an interest in the wellbeing of that country.

It's weird as heck that there's no gift dialog though. Just "how does this deal sound?" when the "deal" is a pretty substantial gift with no strings attached.

There is in fact special gift dialogue (I just tested it and it works fine). Are you sure that they used the standard dialog when gifting?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I noticed that Stimsis (of Fourth Stimpire fame) was removed from the name list file. I feel grief.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

CrazyTolradi posted:

I noticed that Stimsis (of Fourth Stimpire fame) was removed from the name list file. I feel grief.

No, it's still there. Are you looking in the right place? Are you sure a mod didn't remove it?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Wiz posted:

No, it's still there. Are you looking in the right place? Are you sure a mod didn't remove it?
I'm an idiot and was looking in the localisation files, my bad.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

There is in fact special gift dialogue (I just tested it and it works fine). Are you sure that they used the standard dialog when gifting?

Wiz, a lot of people who otherwise hate me have been giving me large amounts of energy. Should I take gifts from strangers or report it as a bug?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wiz posted:

Hey Wiz, since you're around I was wondering what strength you expect players to be at when they unlock the L-Gate stuff? I had a couple of 5k fleets and was equivalent or stronger than all my neighbours when I activated it and I was surprised at how completely outmatched I was.

Fortunately I just reloaded a save but it feels like it would have been rather game ending in ironman.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chalks posted:

Hey Wiz, since you're around I was wondering what strength you expect players to be at when they unlock the L-Gate stuff? I had a couple of 5k fleets and was equivalent or stronger than all my neighbours when I activated it and I was surprised at how completely outmatched I was.

Fortunately I just reloaded a save but it feels like it would have been rather game ending in ironman.

I opened an L-gate with about 3k fleet strength. Those nanites were not kind.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aethernet posted:

Wiz, a lot of people who otherwise hate me have been giving me large amounts of energy. Should I take gifts from strangers or report it as a bug?

There's a bit of AI weirdness in 2.1 with it being too friendly in general. Should be sorted in 2.1.1.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chalks posted:

The L-Gate chain is being completed a lot quicker than intended. We're going to make some tweaks.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
So, update on something I mentioned a little back. It seems that refugees you accept can't be assimilated specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Wiz posted:

There's a bit of AI weirdness in 2.1 with it being too friendly in general. Should be sorted in 2.1.1.

There's nothing wrong with an AI player actually being nice for once. Makes a change from the standard KILL KILL KILL you usually get out of these things.