Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Quick question: I found the mountain wreck under the alien base, the one with the cyclops thermal plant fragment, and beyond the door you have to cut into, I've run into a hallway I just bounce off of and can't get past, either on my own or with the Seaglide. Has anyone else had that problem? It seems from other YouTube videos that I should be able to get through, but this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDg7tXaxcu4

you've saved and gone back? to see if the wall has disappeared?

That's pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually watched Yellow Submarine and somehow it feels even more Subnautica than I imagined.

Warpers are the Blue Meanies.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Meskhenet posted:

you've saved and gone back? to see if the wall has disappeared?

That's pretty weird.

I verified the game in Steam, then reloaded, and it's still not letting me through. Guess there are too many ghosts in the wreckage. :shrug:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yo, been playing this game since early access.

Is there any way to see your time capsule's ranking?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man. im totally loving this game. I only made it to the aurora while in early access but decided it was time to sink some time in. I just got to the mountain area and went into the tower there, got rejected, but it said it was gonna download some stuff to my PDA but nothing happened. not sure where to go next. just explore I guess? I have the prawn and seamoth, and I have the seamoth depth upgraded to 500m.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

if you're lost, just go deeper

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh hey it turns out it did put stuff in my log, just didnt highlight it.

1200m? jesus, im scared shitless and i havent even gone 500m yet.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat i jus tbuilt the cyclops, this thing is cool as gently caress.

game owns.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Just don't drive it too far into the dark blue. It's pretty disorienting to try and 180 it out of major trouble in a hurry.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

queeb posted:

drat i jus tbuilt the cyclops, this thing is cool as gently caress.

game owns.

Now you get to enjoy the tedious process to moving all of your storage lockers full of random poo poo on board.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

game was super awesome until the lava stuff.

The it was more of a slog to just finish it.

Im going to get the vr system at some point. You bet ill be loading this up again to try that out.

I have a fear of water, its going to be fun.

Fair warning: I picked up Subnautica this weekend specifically to play in VR, and I can't go ten minutes in the game without getting violently nauseous.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Avasculous posted:

Fair warning: I picked up Subnautica this weekend specifically to play in VR, and I can't go ten minutes in the game without getting violently nauseous.
Did they fix it being a pain in the rear end to use keypads and other such interactions in VR yet?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Avasculous posted:

Its is simulating the effects of the alien infection.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Its is simulating the effects of the alien infection.

No, that's the burning feeling when you pee.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

What are you, Captain Kirk?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

What are you, Captain Kirk?

He could be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tkJyMEUTWw

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Wipfmetz posted:

Yeah. At one point i prefered to just leave my PRAWN at the lava stuff and swim to my Seamoth because gently caress traversing that area with a prawn. Who decided that a walker would be what we need for the final biomes in an underwater survival game?

I just went all the way down in the Cyclops. Only things I really used the prawn suit for was the Lava Castle and the portal hopping for the enzyme ingredients. I would've used the sub for those too if there was a hole big enough to ram through.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have the devs said anything about DLC or additional content in future patches lately? I still like the game and haven't actually fully explored everything but more stuff would be great.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Have the devs said anything about DLC or additional content in future patches lately? I still like the game and haven't actually fully explored everything but more stuff would be great.

They are working on arctic-like expansion.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Theres an 'expansion' with a new arctic biome, but its a completely different player character and playthrough.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Can't wait to play Subnautica but 99% of the surface is blocked off by ice. That won't increase dread levels at all! :stonklol:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They won’t do that cause you’d get stuck in terrain even more than you do now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

They won’t do that cause you’d get stuck in terrain even more than you do now.

Coming soon: Every form of creature popping out of the terrain now billed as "Working as intended"?

Hopefully they at least sort stuff clipping inside your base for the expansion. Coming home to find a biter in a now otherwise empty containment tank was always loving rude.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One time I had a fish friend just swimming around in my cyclops. I liked that and was sad when it disappeared

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a cuddle fish I had released get stuck inside my base and I couldn't get it out because you can't recapture them

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I had that. The trick is to wait on the outside of the base, wait until the cuddle fish gets close enough to you to interact and then pet it through the base wall. With luck, after it finishes the petting animation or whatever it will be back on the outside.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

New game announced;

https://www.beyondbluegame.com/

Made by bbc apparently, release early next year. Research Mission in earth ocean. Swimming like subnautica, but no survival.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Looks pretty.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Section Z posted:

Did they fix it being a pain in the rear end to use keypads and other such interactions in VR yet?

I gave it another shot that lasted an equal amount of time.

The thing that's nauseating is that both headset motions and one of the gamepads controls your view. Lightly touch the latter, and your brain has to reconcile an ocean landscape twirling 540 degrees around with your unmoving head. I think ideally, you just never touch that gamepad, but having to whip my head around and straight up/down every time something snarls at me isn't practical either.

I didn't get far enough to have to enter in a code to a locked door or anything, but operating the Fabricator was pretty rough.

Fortunately, the game is pretty great in 2D.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

There are a few events that automatically progress the infection to not infected(no warpers) to glowly bulbs on your hands stage (warpers want your head on a plate):
poking the on/off button at the alien cannon, and the exploration of the ruined alien research facility are the only two events that I know that force it from not-infected to full infection.

There are numerous creatures that infect you if they get a hit on you: bleeders and all crawlers are the ones that I know that infect you.

Wait, what? The only reason those floating assholes keep jumping me is because I got infected with something somewhere?

This is bullshit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can you blame them? You're gross and green. Who wants that in their ocean? Not knowing it was affected by infection level confused me when I first started. Everyone online was freaking out about Warpers. When I started up the game, I saw one and it didn't even bother with me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Avasculous posted:

Wait, what? The only reason those floating assholes keep jumping me is because I got infected with something somewhere?

This is bullshit.
Oh it's more hilarious than that.

Notable plot triggers spoiler ahead All the disease research facility does is trigger the max aggro green spots stage of the infection (and give a 'uh... go deeper, again, :lol:' text hint). So not only can you beat the game without ever going there, it's downright detrimental.

EDIT: Also, the below is true. My own spoiler is it's own extra layer of :allears: about that plot point.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 16, 2018

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

He's joshing you, dude. You're infected the moment you enter the water.

When you get the scanner, scan yourself and look at the screen it has.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

WarpedNaba posted:

He's joshing you, dude. You're infected the moment you enter the water.

When you get the scanner, scan yourself and look at the screen it has.

It only starts saying "INFECTED" after a certain point. I'm not sure if it's time or getting bit by a creature or what.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Said it right off the bat for me.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just did a speedrun (any%, scanner only) and it says this when I self-scan

edit: I'm pretty sure lorewise you're infected as soon as you unseal your pod, but there's an incubation period before it can be detected. I'm just not sure if the incubation period is determined in-game by time, getting bit, or plot-related triggers

edit 2: after making that edit I seem to remember there's a point where your PDA says that a self-scan is recommended, and then you show up as infected, but I'm not 100% sure

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 16, 2018

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The self-scan thing used to be immediate, maybe they changed that for the full release?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
There are also infected fish that might mess with the timeline.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FronzelNeekburm posted:

There are also infected fish that might mess with the timeline.

Yeah you can also come across Enzyme Host Peepers randomly swimming around well before you see them in the Containment Facility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah you can also come across Enzyme Host Peepers randomly swimming around well before you see them in the Containment Facility

Those fucks confused the hell out of me. I wasted probably two hours trying to figure it what to do with then before I realized they’re kind of a set piece rather than an ingredient of whatever