Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jikes posted:

A lot of changes were made between the book and series, almost always for the better. The screenwriters did an outstanding job of adapting the book and I think they improved on the source material, which is pretty rare.

Quite honestly I do not view one or the other version as better. They are both solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh God, like I said earlier in the thread, I thought Jopson quietly drifted off after Crozier was telling him childhood stories.

I...much would have preferred that to be what happened. :(

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Man, that youtube video looks really good! I swear it was in 480 for half the season watching online...meh!

When is the bluray coming out! I need those 1080Ps... :ohdear:

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh God, like I said earlier in the thread, I thought Jopson quietly drifted off after Crozier was telling him childhood stories.

I...much would have preferred that to be what happened. :(

We all would have... :smith:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

That would be harrowing in modern gear. In that era's stuff... They needed a separate platform to support their balls.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I was confused with Jopson's final scene, he looked angry but a part of me wants to say he just wanted to just get back to his captains side, pushing aside food that would nourish him and seeing an illusion of him at his best.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The acting was great especially Ciarán Hinds as the victorian equivalent to the modern day empty suit.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Quixotic1 posted:

I was confused with Jopson's final scene, he looked angry but a part of me wants to say he just wanted to just get back to his captains side, pushing aside food that would nourish him and seeing an illusion of him at his best.

I thought that scene was a great expression of how Jopson was feeling over his abandonment: that Crozier at his best was an illusion, hence he's pompously overdressed, detached, literally going through the empty motions of leadership. A great detail it's easy to miss is how grotesque and unappetising the mirage-banquet actually looks; it's a weird stylised mess of jellies, feathers, and chicken legs. The series did a fantastic job with the counterintuitive idea that if all these men are doomed from the start, how they choose to face it down matters a lot.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I thought that scene was a great expression of how Jopson was feeling over his abandonment: that Crozier at his best was an illusion, hence he's pompously overdressed, detached, literally going through the empty motions of leadership. A great detail it's easy to miss is how grotesque and unappetising the mirage-banquet actually looks; it's a weird stylised mess of jellies, feathers, and chicken legs. The series did a fantastic job with the counterintuitive idea that if all these men are doomed from the start, how they choose to face it down matters a lot.

yet again we return to Mr Blanky being a god drat badass

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

yet again we return to Mr Blanky being a god drat badass

The rope and fork scheme was brilliant, as well as his parting insult to the virgin tuunbaq.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

etalian posted:

The rope and fork scheme was brilliant, as well as his parting insult to the virgin tuunbaq.

He also "found" the NW Passage and therefore felt fulfilled in life. The only person on the show to die happy. :unsmith:

I seriously need this to come out on bluray. :sweatdrop:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

etalian posted:

The tug on the rope making the tines on the forks pop up like a porcupine was a great little effect.

Quixotic1 posted:

The anger (and boy does Liam Garrigan emote well) was him deliriously believing Crozier and the rest had abandoned him whereas previously they’d dragged the sick and weak in the sledges.

That for all Crozier had said and done before, he didn’t actually give a poo poo about his men, only himself and his position.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 29, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

The anger (and boy does Liam Garrigan emote well) was him deliriously believing Crozier and the rest had abandoned him whereas previously they’d dragged the sick and weak in the sledges.

That for all Crozier had said and done before, he didn’t actually give a poo poo about his men, only himself and his position.

the avclub's review of the final episode put it well - jopson's death is so painful because "he dies wrong"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, him dying with his last thoughts being that despite all his service and loyalty, Crozier had abandoned him, when we know (and the book stresses this even more iirc) that Crozier's primary concern is his men makes it extra painful :(

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Hasselblad posted:

Quite honestly I do not view one or the other version as better. They are both solid.

I haven't watched yet (nowhere to stream) but this scene captures Franklin so well. I also wonder if "I've always wanted to move below" was foreshadowing. cause he gets eaten underwater, in the book

HorrificExistence fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 29, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, him dying with his last thoughts being that despite all his service and loyalty, Crozier had abandoned him, when we know (and the book stresses this even more iirc) that Crozier's primary concern is his men makes it extra painful :(

Then Crozier finding Jopson’s dead body face down with one arm still extended, showing he’d expired that way :smith:.

It was also sad that Little sat all the ‘able’ survivors down for a strategy meeting, intending to follow Crozier’s explicit plans, but they explained they had taken a vote while he’d still been asleep and ‘you were outvoted sir’.

A friend of mine watched on my recommendation and went on this rant about Hickey ‘how could anyone follow him? He was crazy etc etc etc, why did they take so drat long to hang him?! Why didn’t someone kill him?!’

I basically brought it down to conditions, Hickey scheming that since Crozier had a larger group and weren’t leaving the ill/injured, Tuunbaq would probably go after them, and like what Hodgson told Goodsir about why he couldn’t off Hickey himself: ‘But I’m hungry... and I want to live.’

Usually in a show like this, at least a couple of the actors put in a clunker of a performance, but this series had goddamn dynamite performances from even the ship’s pet dog. Are most of the cast stage performers or character actors in general?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

It's also a kick in the nuts given how his promotion was a optimistic "There is a man in this room who has earned a place at the table" scene but then he basically gets abandoned to die alone. Joplin also took care of Crozier when Crozier was going cold turkey for his booze addiction.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

LadyPictureShow posted:

Usually in a show like this, at least a couple of the actors put in a clunker of a performance, but this series had goddamn dynamite performances from even the ship’s pet dog. Are most of the cast stage performers or character actors in general?

Yep, most of them have a strong theatre acting background. The casting agent deserves a lot of credit though, the older actors are fairly well established in the UK and Ireland but everyone under 40 was unknown to me and have pretty thin film/TV credits. Apparently Adam Naigaitis (Hickey) and Jared Harris (Crozier) are both going to be in an upcoming HBO series about the Chernobyl disaster, so that could be a winner.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The cast was incredible. It was a deep bench too. Even when the ranks thinned out in the later episode the increased focus on background characters paid off well. It was heartbreaking when John Bridgens went off to die alone with his partner's journal.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Yep, most of them have a strong theatre acting background. The casting agent deserves a lot of credit though, the older actors are fairly well established in the UK and Ireland but everyone under 40 was unknown to me and have pretty thin film/TV credits. Apparently Adam Naigaitis (Hickey) and Jared Harris (Crozier) are both going to be in an upcoming HBO series about the Chernobyl disaster, so that could be a winner.

After watching this, I secretly hope Harris plays the reactor engineer trying to save everyone, and Naigaitis is in the role of the increasingly unstable reactor.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9RmY6phhkU

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Q&A and request for questions:

https://twitter.com/theterroramc/status/1001572640937652224

Celebrate the end of #TheTerror 's epic voyage with a Q&A! @JaredHarris and showrunners David Kajganich and @shugh100 will be chatting with @IndieWire's Steve Greene tomorrow at 7pm ET/4pm PT. Send us your questions and they could be answered live!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LesterGroans posted:

The cast was incredible. It was a deep bench too. Even when the ranks thinned out in the later episode the increased focus on background characters paid off well. It was heartbreaking when John Bridgens went off to die alone with his partner's journal.

Were they def an item or was it just speculation?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

On a rewatch, just look at Blanky’s chat of his experience with Ross at Fury Beach it kinda foreshadows the winding of the following eps

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I like how they left it ambiguous, they could have been lovers or just very close and affectionate friends.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Milo and POTUS posted:

They didn't state it outright, but I assumed they were. Henry even had a sketch of Bridgens' tattoo in his journal. That seems like the sailor version of writing "Mr. Henry Bridgens" surrounded by hearts in your trapper keeper.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

LesterGroans posted:

They didn't state it outright, but I assumed they were. Henry even had a sketch of Bridgens' tattoo in his journal. That seems like the sailor version of writing "Mr. Henry Bridgens" surrounded by hearts in your trapper keeper.

Episode 6 (burning carnival ep), Peglar came in to chat with him, and it seemed like even if they weren’t together, they might have had a little something going on in the past.

E: after they get out of the tent, Peglar’s pushing through the crowd, and when he spots Bridgens, they hug. Still ambiguous if they were just good pals

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 30, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Just ordered the Frozen in Time book to further my obsession with the expedition. Wife just saw Sir John's perfect, stockinged leg last night. I told her I would hang it on my wall, with pride.

Actually, I might make it my av... maybe use his "greatest argonauts of our time" speech for text :getin:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Well, I was reading an account about the Inuit stories regarding what was seen and passed on over the years regarding the expedition, and this is even grimmer than the show

quote:

“They were beings but not Inuit,” he said, according to the account by shaman Nicholas Qayutinuaq.
The figures were too weak to be dangerous, so Inuit women tried to comfort the strangers by inviting them into their igloo.
But close contact only increased their alienness: The men were timid, untalkative and — despite their obvious starvation — they refused to eat.
The men spit out pieces of cooked seal offered to them. They rejected offers of soup. They grabbed jealous hold of their belongings when the Inuit offered to trade.
When the Inuit men returned to the camp from their hunt, they constructed an igloo for the strangers, built them a fire and even outfitted the shelter with three whole seals.
Then, after the white men had gone to sleep, the Inuit quickly packed up their belongings and fled by moonlight.
Whether the pale-skinned visitors were qallunaat or “Indians” — the group determined that staying too long around these “strange people” with iron knives could get them all killed.
‘That night they got all their belongings together and took off to the southwest’Qayutinuaq told Dorothy Eber.
But the true horror of the encounter wouldn’t be revealed until several months later.
The Inuit had left in such a hurry that they had abandoned several belongings. When a small party went back to the camp to retrieve them, they found an igloo filled with corpses.
The seals were untouched. Instead, the men had eaten each other.

And, the expedition strikes from beyond the grave!

quote:

In 1854, Rae had just come back from a return trip to the Arctic, where he had been horrified to discover that many of his original Inuit sources had fallen to the same fates they had witnessed in the Franklin Expedition.

An outbreak of influenza had swept the area, likely sparked by the wave of Franklin searchers combing the Arctic. As social mores broke down, food ran short.

Inuit men that Rae had known personally had chosen suicide over watching the slow death of their children. Families had starved for days before eating their dog teams. Some women, who had seen their families die around them, had needed to turn to the “last resource” to survive the winter.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

More, more! I love this stuff.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Here you go Octy!

quote:

In order to figure out whether end-stage cannibalism happened, Mays and Beattie looked at three Franklin Expedition skeletons for evidence of burning, for specific patterning of fractures in the bones, and for evidence of “pot polish,” where broken or cut bone ends become smooth from being tossed in a metal or ceramic vessel during cooking.

None of the bones the researchers studied were burned, but there was some evidence of smashing while the bones were fresh. However, it is unclear if these breaks were made by people immediately after death or by animals trampling on them much later.

But when Mays and Beattie found pot polish on two leg bones, they knew there was clear evidence that someone boiled parts of these men’s bodies for at least 20 minutes in a cooking pot. Even more interesting is that one of the bones with pot polish was probably also reused. After its marrow was consumed, someone used the human bone fragment as a spoon or knife to scrape more fat from the rim of the pot.

In cool science stuff, here’s an article about how they figured out one of the skeletons was Goodsir:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011/07/skeleton-may-help-solve-mystery-doomed-franklin-expedition

And in spooky timeline lore:

quote:

1852–58 (?): Inuit may have seen Crozier and one other survivor much further south in the Baker Lake area
Guess Blanky stabbed his way out of Tuunbaq. The Chad ice master lives another day!

The Franklin Expedition always fascinated me, I had a book on mummies as a kid and there were photos of the Franklin ice mummies in there. ‘I gotta learn more about this!’
*a week later, at the library, reading the back cover*
‘Dad, what’s this word mean? ‘Canablism’?’

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 30, 2018

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
It's the bizarre behavior of the crew that is the biggest mystery of the Franklin Expedition. This is why the lead poisoning theory has legs. I never bought the "well they were victorian englishmen of course they had high lead concentrates" explanation for the lead levels found on the beechy corpses. They would have long lost any hair/nails that had grown in Britain and regrown it on the ship given the time. Whatever caused the high lead levels was on the ship.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

LadyPictureShow posted:

In cool science stuff, here’s an article about how they figured out one of the skeletons was Goodsir:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011/07/skeleton-may-help-solve-mystery-doomed-franklin-expedition

Good read. I had been under the wrong impression that lead solder contaminated cans were known, documented event, not just speculation.

https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/50012/title/DNA-Analysis-Throws-New-Light-on-the-1845-Franklin-Arctic-Expedition/

quote:

mitochondrial DNA analysis supported a western European origin for the crew—consistent with historical accounts ... It also increased the minimum number of individuals at Erebus Bay from 11 to 21, and suggested movement of remains between sites some decades after the crew perished...

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Just ordered the Frozen in Time book to further my obsession with the expedition. Wife just saw Sir John's perfect, stockinged leg last night. I told her I would hang it on my wall, with pride.

Actually, I might make it my av... maybe use his "greatest argonauts of our time" speech for text :getin:

They should sell Franklin Leg Lamps.
(Or use them as major awards)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Despera posted:

It's the bizarre behavior of the crew that is the biggest mystery of the Franklin Expedition. This is why the lead poisoning theory has legs. I never bought the "well they were victorian englishmen of course they had high lead concentrates" explanation for the lead levels found on the beechy corpses. They would have long lost any hair/nails that had grown in Britain and regrown it on the ship given the time. Whatever caused the high lead levels was on the ship.

Well you didn't need more complex causes given how the men were on a starvation diet while having to haul 4000 pound sledges by hand.

It also didn't help that they had no accurate maps of the region and Franklin had picked the east side of Prince William island he would have avoided getting icelocked. The western channel by comparison attracts massive amounts of ice part due to Arctic wind patterns.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I also think that the Uruguayan Rugby team survivors from the Andes crash (yanno ‘Alive’) said that after a while with the hopelessness, the isolation, the cold, and the starvation (as well as having to subsist off of their dead friends to gain any sustenance) some of them started exhibiting odd behavior. And they were ‘only’ there 72 days and didn’t have to haul sledges.

They were hitting ‘end-stage’ too by the time they were rescued. I read an interview with one of the survivors talking about how they had only eaten the meat at first, but when that was running out, they got desperate, first eating the organs and later cracking bones to get at the brains and marrow for any kind of sustenance.

Some of the weird behavior by the Franklin crew could be explained by lead poisoning, yes, but also by how loving hopeless things had become.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 1, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Should've had a carnivale.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

They should sell Franklin Leg Lamps.
(Or use them as major awards)

:chanpop:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I hereby call dibs on the trademark/patent/rights

A Christmas Story 3: A Very Blanky Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So what was up with the jewelry/piercings on the dude (lieutenant?) who was dying at the end? I feel like I missed a scene or something.