Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a sports podcast similar to Hardcore History? Just breakdowns of old events in sports history. I know 30 for 30 is doing them but looking for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Papi making choking motions for like 5 minutes straight on hq today :discourse:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Is there a sports podcast similar to Hardcore History? Just breakdowns of old events in sports history. I know 30 for 30 is doing them but looking for more.

Sporting History is pretty great.

Edit: The Baseball History Podcast stopped updating years ago but there's a ton of excellent content, as well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/jksports/status/1000021758701907968

Hahahaha

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This might...make me tune in to a random baseball game? I don't think he'll be good but I just cannot imagine what in the world this would sound like and for some reason I'm curious.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keith burns his bridges to the loving ground and pisses on the ashes and somehow ESPN brought him back again

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Didnt he do baseball play by play back in the 90s? IIRC that was how I first knew of him when I was a kid.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Basticle posted:

Didnt he do baseball play by play back in the 90s? IIRC that was how I first knew of him when I was a kid.

he anchored fox's studio show when he was there

this espn deal sounds like what he's been doing this year plus baseball stuff

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They let loving Berman call baseball games forever and there's no way Keith is worse at it than he was

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

MourningView posted:

They let loving Berman call baseball games forever and there's no way Keith is worse at it than he was

backbackbackbackbackbackbackbackbackback

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Olbermann announcing that Trump was finished like six months ago and that his work making videos for GQ was done is the most Olbermann thing ever

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Olbermann announcing that Trump was finished like six months ago and that his work making videos for GQ was done is the most Olbermann thing ever
I’m glad he backed off of politics somewhat, as he was becoming a broken record.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m glad he backed off of politics somewhat, as he was becoming a broken record.

you can only be right for so many decades

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Olbermann gets a pass I suppose because he helped make ESPN the franchise it is today.

But, like him or hate him Rush Limbaugh got trotted out on his rear end for saying this on Monday Night Countdown regarding Donovan McNabb: "I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there's a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

He wasn't exactly wrong, Donovan McNabb was an average pedestrian QB his entire career but the overall bile for Limbaugh was enough froth to paint the racist rainbow in many broad strokes until ESPN bounced him. He didn't get a second chance.

Keith can set fire after fire after fire and ESPN just acts like a battered wife thinking "This time will be different, he'll change."

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

McNabb was a pretty good QB early on. "Average pedestrian" was Jake Plummer at that time. He got blamed for that team having just garbage weapons on offense. When he finally got a decent receiver to throw to they made the Super Bowl and he was statistically one of the best QBs in the league. He flamed out at a younger age than most which hurts his legacy, but he had a real solid run for like 4-5 years.

When the Rush comments came out, McNabb had just finished a season with a top-10 offense despite his best receiver being Todd Pinkston. He was the starting QB for a team that had made the conference championship two years in a row and were favorites again in 2003. The media tends to slobber over any QB on a winning team.

Rush aimed those comments at a white demographic who believe black players aren't smart enough to be the QB. And when one gets praise for doing well it's a result of the liberal media overrating him so they can indoctrinate us all into their PC culture. It was straight-up dogwhistling.

From what I know about Olbermann, his biggest crime at ESPN is he annoys his co-workers and gets into pissing contests with upper management. Not sure I'd put them on the same level.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

He wasn't exactly wrong, Donovan McNabb was an average pedestrian QB his entire career
lol you loving idiot

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Average QB's dont typically win the MVP. Also for future reference, saying Rush Limbaugh is right about anything is not a good way to frame an opinion or arguments.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 27, 2018

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Average QB's dont typically win the MVP

What does that have to do with Donovan McNabb

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jackie D posted:

What does that have to do with Donovan McNabb

For some reason I thought he won it in 2004

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I completely forgot McNair and Manning were co-mvps, we've all learned a lot today

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also for future reference, saying Rush Limbaugh is right about anything is not a good way to frame an opinion or arguments.

Yeah

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Great work from David Aldridge in a very short intermission interview with Steve Kerr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Unrelated, to add on the pile of "sports radio hosts are the loving worst by a mile", a couple hosts in Michigan are filing suit over claims that one wants to have sex with underage girls

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

Unrelated, to add on the pile of "sports radio hosts are the loving worst by a mile", a couple hosts in Michigan are filing suit over claims that one wants to have sex with underage girls

All three sides in this, the two radio hosts and the blogger, are all incredibly terrible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Indy 500 ratings were awful

quote:

Despite viewership gains on IndyCar racing over the past five years, ratings for the Indianapolis 500 have reached its lowest point since the race went live flag-to-flag for the first time in 1986.

After 54 consecutive years of televising the race, ABC’s final Indy 500 telecast registered a 3.4 overnight Nielsen rating, which showed a steady decline over the past three years. 2017 had a 3.6 rating, while 2016 registered a 4.1 and 2015 brought in a 4.3.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It must be because of their politics, right?

We've decided that's what lower sports ratings mean, right?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Until they stop blacking it out locally in Indy, this will never appreciably change. Though finally ditching ABC might help a bit as ABC loving sucks at racing coverage, especially for Indycar.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

And somehow

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1001571350010449920

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fernando Alonso

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

I'm glad that thanks to new math 3.74 is now less than .8

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Peanut President posted:

I'm glad that thanks to new math 3.74 is now less than .8

...its not? Cable does not equal broadcast.

Also, a lot of the Indy number is likely due to the headache in streaming ABC/ESPN3 versus NBC. I expect number next year will look better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are too many foreigners winning and it's turning off the fans. IMO someone should make a new Indycar series with just American short track racers and all ovals, using stock block engines and cars that look like a feeder series to Formula 3000.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

man there's grasping at straws and then there's this:

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1001837832107905029

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Haha there is zero rivalry going on with those two teams. There is nothing contentious or edgy at all. The debates surrounding it are "is LeBron better than Jordan" and "is this good or bad for basketball".

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DJExile posted:

man there's grasping at straws and then there's this:

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1001837832107905029

It's not even the best rivalry in the NBA! God, so close to two other teams being in the finals for a change.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

can't wait to get high with bomani and pablo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/Ben_ESPN/status/1003654345253060608

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Let her call the loving finals already you dipshits

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

Let her call the loving finals already you dipshits

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus this looks awful :stare:

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1003678686271459330

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1003681962777874432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4bE8ejFbv8

i was caught off guard by the fact most of the show had music, but i got used to it

too bad most people nowadays will give up after the first episode