Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

ilmucche posted:

People can spend their money however they drat well please. We can judge them for it though.

Seriously, what is the ultimate goal of the game. I've never looked into seriously, and for a while I got it confused with no man's sky. It's a space exploration game where you can pay to get better ships? Is it eventually supposed to be like eve corporation builder or tie fighter spacebattles or no man's sky exploration or dust514 planetary bombardment or a combination of all of those?

This is an extremely difficult question because the game has been sold as everything.

Chris Roberts used to do a "10 for the Chairman" video series where people asked him if (_________) would be in the game and he said "Yes" 100% of the time. Listing all of the things that the game is supposed to be would make this post 20,000 words.

Take No Man's Sky, add in Spore and multiply by Fable. People are expecting to live in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
if we're posting about Clifford in this thread, don't forget to post his ridiculous tornado pc case which he uses to stream to <10 viewers on Mixer

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/982431376879378432

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Would that even cool properly? It looks loving open on all sides that aren't a fan.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

It’s just a box of fans.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
has this game collapsed/RSU gone bankrupt yet?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

People can spend their money however they drat well please. We can judge them for it though.

Seriously, what is the ultimate goal of the game. I've never looked into seriously, and for a while I got it confused with no man's sky. It's a space exploration game where you can pay to get better ships? Is it eventually supposed to be like eve corporation builder or tie fighter spacebattles or no man's sky exploration or dust514 planetary bombardment or a combination of all of those?

i assume everyone that put big money into Star Citizen is a failed EVE online player. they want to get in on the ground floor so they can dominate the game for the next 10 years or something. you can easily sink $10,000 into EVE if you wanted to, buying max level characters and huge capital ships and rare modules.

but most of the people who do that are idiots and get their poo poo stolen/blown up quickly, because EVE isn't a game about having the best ship. its about having the most friends, which you can't just buy.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Teikanmi posted:

has this game collapsed/RSU gone bankrupt yet?

Give it more time. The slow death is unforeseen and unforgiving. It can happen at any moment.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

Inkel posted:

if we're posting about Clifford in this thread, don't forget to post his ridiculous tornado pc case which he uses to stream to <10 viewers on Mixer

Thought I was looking at the bitcoin thread for a second. Was it possible at one point to buy spaceship jpegs with bitcoin?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

21st Cherry boy posted:

Thought I was looking at the bitcoin thread for a second. Was it possible at one point to buy spaceship jpegs with bitcoin?

Not from the company directly, but in the grey market on reddit some large sellers offered discounts in the past if people paid for autism chariots in cryptocurrency.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

that's like 60 watts of case fans what the gently caress is he trying to accomplish there

like all i can guess is that he imagined when it was turned on he'd be able to sit on it and ride it around like the mail order propeller beanie in that old Calvin and Hobbes series

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm not an alcholic, I know people who drink 3 bottles of wine a day where I just drink one

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Actual arguments by backers every year they kept changing the dates on Squadron 42 promos(until they just erased the year all together): "Well you see, it doesn't explicitly say that the year is supposed to signify a release date. It could mean anything!"

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Lol wouldnt that case be for radiators? Like a rig like that i bet you could even do passive radiators that dont need fans and have a dead silent setup.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
That guy is very extremely sad

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
:d2a:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

food court bailiff posted:

"i don't need to defend my spending" - a person who has spent multiple posts trying and failing to do exactly that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sure I spent at least $3000 last year on weed, cigarettes, and other drugs combined. Probably closer to $5000 honestly, since I'm buying for two.

But at least I fully admit my wife and I are addicts and that money was more or less wasted.

And at least I didn't spend that money on the promise of getting really super high at some point in the indeterminate future lmao

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I'm sure I spent at least $3000 last year on weed, cigarettes, and other drugs combined. Probably closer to $5000 honestly, since I'm buying for two.

But at least I fully admit my wife and I are addicts and that money was more or less wasted.

And at least I didn't spend that money on the promise of getting really super high at some point in the indeterminate future lmao

if you quit smoking cigarettes you would have more money for weed

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

ilmucche posted:

Watch Black Mirror Season 4 Episode 1, that's what Star Citizens want

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lol, this f2p whale tangent owns. It's funny because we can laugh at the suckers paying money for a free game, and then we can remember that there are suckers involved in Star Citizen who are paying for no game.

Lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rutibex posted:

if you quit smoking cigarettes you would have more money for weed

I have mostly quit, and I've quit in the past (it's real easy for me to quit). My wife can't quit easily tho

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
The argument of "oh they are just paying for something they like" doesn't hold water when f2p games are just mindless Skinner boxes designed to get people addicted yet unsatisfied. I'm sure people who sit like zombies in front of slot machines also think they are paying for something they like, but they are being taken advantage of.
Similarly, you may know lots of slot machine makers and think they are artists who deserve payment for their art, and it's fine anyway because only rich yacht owners blow their life savings at the slots, it never happens to poor suckers who the things are designed to prey on, but that's bullshit. F2p games are poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CountryMatters posted:

The argument of "oh they are just paying for something they like" doesn't hold water when f2p games are just mindless Skinner boxes

In the cases of f2p games where you have to "pull" stuff from "banners" (loot boxes), they're not even paying for "fun", they're paying for a small possibility of "fun".

Like at least with drugs or video games (that have actually been released), you're directly paying for fun. You expect fun.

When I buy weed, I don't pack each bowl thinking "I hope I hit the 1% possibility of pulling an Epic Level Buzz".

It's slightly more defensible if they're paying for energy to keep playing the game, but only in a very technical sense, because broadly speaking it's not really defensible for the companies to structure their games in a way that's been proven to be as seductive and dangerous as Vegas gambling.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Well. I'm at a loss for words.

Should put him somewhere at $82,000. Not including all of the gifts he sends to the offices.

I guess he could have also turned $27,000 of his $54,000 into store credit to buy $27,000 worth of different spaceships which is equally as stupid. You could just refund $27,000 and still have $27,000 worth of internet spaceships my man.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 5, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Clocks posted:

She, and from the last page, but the numbers I gave weren't per month, they were over however long I played the game for (usually around 6mo or more). I agree if I was dropping like $3k per month on a game that would definitely throw me farther into the whale stratosphere but a few hundred or so isn't much worse than other disposable income stories I've heard. :shrug: Like I guess spending on virtual pixels is pathetic but the guys spending $20k a year on their aquariums are cool. Or the guy who bought an $80k sound system from savings (and is now divorced lmao). Oh wait, it's almost as if anyone can go overboard on hobbies and it's the degree and control to which it matters.

Once again yes I will admit my spending puts me into a top percentile but for mobile games whales are people who easily drop a few grand per gacha, not overall. Even then at least they're playing some kind of game, star citizen isn't even that.

Who have you willed your Clash of Clans account to in the event of your passing?

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Inkel posted:

I'm trying to figure out what this guy does for a living to afford all this garbage. I am honestly in disbelief that people like this actually exist, his entire Twitter is pure garbage. I mean he seems like he is happy with his life so good for him but holy poo poo his entire online presence is retweeting streamers and showing off things he wasted his money on.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rutibex posted:

its about having the most friends, which you can't just buy.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Not from the company directly

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bath Tubs posted:

I'm trying to figure out what this guy does for a living to afford all this garbage. I am honestly in disbelief that people like this actually exist, his entire Twitter is pure garbage. I mean he seems like he is happy with his life so good for him but holy poo poo his entire online presence is retweeting streamers and showing off things he wasted his money on.

I think that's how most people use social media.

But yes, this guy is a special kind of combination of rich/broken

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Inkel posted:

If hes not gonna put a case on it couldn't he cool it better by just pointing a box fan at it?

Those fans are basically doing nothing without a case on it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

JB50 posted:

If hes not gonna put a case on it couldn't he cool it better by just pointing a box fan at it?

Are they all equally facing inward or outward?

it seems like either scenario would just create a ball of stagnant hot air right where you would want the cooling and circulating to take place.

why not just drop money on one of those oil cooled setups?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

He literally could have ordered a couple of those $100 sealed cooling loops from Corsair and had a more efficient build, but the thing to remember about Clifford is he’s one of those guys for whom brand loyalty is the most important thing.

He built that computer to show off how faithful he is to that fan company, not because it was a good or smart thing to do.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
There are only 2 good fans in that computer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This is a good example, this pimp mobile and modules is worth about $1400 real life dollars. blown up in high security space. likely one jump after buying it. star citizens want to have this ship, but in a game where they can never lose it:
https://zkillboard.com/kill/70357303/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

JB50 posted:

It is a case. It’s a case made out of fans.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

He literally could have ordered a couple of those $100 sealed cooling loops from Corsair and had a more efficient build, but the thing to remember about Clifford is he’s one of those guys for whom brand loyalty is the most important thing.

He built that computer to show off how faithful he is to that fan company, not because it was a good or smart thing to do.

EK also makes some pretty good kits at varying price points that are regular (non sealed) water cooling. They’re probably not particularly good deals but if you’re a noob and are worried about buying fittings that won’t work with your reservoir or something it can make things a bit simpler.

He has a video after the one linked with the case sides on. It sounds like an industrial refrigeration unit.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

It's not even brand loyalty with this guy

He simply equates to 'this thing costs way more than option b therefore it is better and everyone online will fawn over me for buying it'

All his creepy tweets at the companies after buying their stuff is added fluff , I guess he hopes hey will sponsor his mixer stream or something

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Blue On Blue posted:

It's not even brand loyalty with this guy

He simply equates to 'this thing costs way more than option b therefore it is better and everyone online will fawn over me for buying it'

All his creepy tweets at the companies after buying their stuff is added fluff , I guess he hopes hey will sponsor his mixer stream or something

He also has that "buying friends" mentality that drove goons to do poo poo like Doobie's Doghouse or plow hundreds of thousands into Star Citizen.

If you read the original threads there are a ton of goons "Bought a $300 ship :smug:" "Oh yeah? Bought a $500 ship :smug:" "Well *I* bought the $3000 autism chariot for the organization :smug:" "Well *I* bought ten fighters to hand out to newbies :smug:"

Clifford is just doing it into the void of the internet without encouragement which is worse than when a community feels peer pressure to one up everyone else's autism chariot fleets.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Star Citizen is a lot like Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville gimmick. They are both just selling the idea of something that are making people happy even though both of those concepts only exist in their own minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Jimmy buffet made a song though. Margaritaville is just his brand, not a fake product.