Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Got to talking with some people about James Cameron and aliens and terminator last night and i know dark horse has been putting out licensed comics based on those properties for like 20 years but have any of them actually been worth reading

site fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Got to talking with some people about James Cameron and aliens and terminator last night and i know dark horse has been putting out licensed comics based on those properties for like 20 years but have any of them actually been worth reading

Oh yes, the early stuff is pretty excellent. The original AvP comic is outstanding. Also there is a Superman vs Terminator series that is bonkers insane and good and in-continuity with the books ta the time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

site posted:

Stormwatch ended with an Aliens crossover that was pretty brutal, but interesting to read.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
superman vs terminator sounds like my kinda crazy

and i had forgotten about the stormwatch/aliens crossover i read that last year, that was a fun way to kill off most everybody

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Robocop Terminator is the poo poo.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

site posted:

Some recent Aliens comics like Dead Orbit by James Stokoe and Dust to Dust by Gabriel Hardman are good. There's also Salvation, that's a classic, by Mike Migonla from around the time he was launching Hellboy.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What was the Alien comic where that dude bashed his moms head in because he didn't want to gently caress her?

EDIT:
Oh spoilers I guess

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't think I've read any Aliens comics since the mid-90's (basically when they started really pumping them out instead of doing a miniseries or two a year), but here's what I can remember:

The first and second series which were just titled "Aliens": good but not really outstanding. They're about bad stuff going down on earth in the wake of Aliens. These were made before Alien3 so an adult Newt is a big part of the story. Originally in black and white, but reprints have colorized them.

Genocide is all about how two hives forked and the hives are fighting each other. People get stuck in the middle.

Hive has got some fantastic Kelly Jones art and is about some people trying to mask themselves so they can observe the aliens in the wild. Things go badly. This is probably the best miniseries they did based on just the art.

Newt's Tale was better than it had any right to be given it's just a retelling of Aliens from Newt's perspective. It used stuff that was cut from the movie and was later put back in for the really awful director's cut version.

Colonial Marines is where I started breaking down. This was a twelve issue miniseries and it probably should have been another four issue miniseries. While it was being published, Dark Horse also published another dozen Aliens series so that should tell you how absurdly saturated they got. I know I've read Rogue and Sacrifice that were two of those dozen, but I don't remember a drat thing about them.

A real problem with the Aliens comics is that they were all the same and nobody really tried stretching things. That's fine when you're telling a horror story every once and a while but when they just started flooding the market I went, "Yeah, I don't need this," and walked away. The omnibus editions are currently getting supercheap reprints, though, so it's not horrible if you wanted to just grab one and go for it.

The Terminator comics I read a lot less of, but Robocop Vs. Terminator is fantastic and everyone should read that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I read the John Arcudi and Doug Mahnke one cause I'm a fan of The Mask. All I can remember is there was an android Xenomorph who talked and smoked cigars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still can't believe we never got an Aliens/Predator/Terminator/Robocop/Mask event.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This page has a pretty comprehensive rundown of all of the Aliens comics, things I had completely forgotten about (I've read basically none of these):

John Byrne did a comic that takes place in the 1950s where a Xenomorph attacks a 1950s Drive-In Movie.
Chuck Dixon wrote a one-shot that I guess was inspired by the film Babe?

Chris Claremont wrote quite a bit of Aliens/Predator stuff.

Here's a similar link for Predator comics.

Rhyno posted:

I still can't believe we never got an Aliens/Predator/Terminator/Robocop/Mask event.
They got as far as Aliens vs. Predator vs. The Terminator and Superman & Batman vs. Aliens & Predator and Godzilla vs. Barkley, but never the quadruple/quintuple crossover. I assume based on how IDW had to keep dicking around and doing faux crossovers that it gets dicey with that many licensors involved.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Uthor posted:

Robocop Terminator is the poo poo.

I know, right? Written by a pre-crazy Frank Miller and drawn by Walter By (Thunder) God Simonson it will be in your local store's dollar bin, IF you can find it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was that Overkill crossover that mixed Witchblade and the Darkness into the mix. I think a goon once put together a map of all the weird licensed crossovers and how they connected the various universes but he never updated it once the IDW/DC crossovers began.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm a bit foggy on the book but where did Kate Bishop even come from? I have Young Avengers vol 1 with me which the Marvel wiki says that is her first appearance. So like, she's basically some random civilian?

Edit: Like everyone in that book had two connections to previous Marvel things

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Edge & Christian posted:

John Byrne did a comic that takes place in the 1950s where a Xenomorph attacks a 1950s Drive-In Movie.

As the original creators intended! :argh:

(god I dislike John Byrne)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm a bit foggy on the book but where did Kate Bishop even come from? I have Young Avengers vol 1 with me which the Marvel wiki says that is her first appearance. So like, she's basically some random civilian?

Do you have the correct Young Avengers vol 1? The one that doesn't have a Kid Loki? If there's no KLoki running around, yeah,that's her first appearance.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Yes I do, the one with Patroit, Hulking, Asgardian and Cassie Lang fightin' Krang

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, Kate Bishop is not a legacy character or anything, she just shows up and is awesome. And the Young Avengers decide they need more awesome in their lives, so she gets to be on the team.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

prefect posted:

Stormwatch ended with an Aliens crossover that was pretty brutal, but interesting to read.

In a similar vein the Darkness/Batman crossover was super important to the overall story arc of The Darkness comics because that's where Jackie officially breaks ties with his mob family, which drives the rest of the first run of the comic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And all crossovers with Judge Dredd are considered canon to Mega-City One. Which isn't a huge deal - the stuff with Batman was a cross-dimensional thing and aliens like the Predator and Xenomorphs already exist in that universe. (Neither are as cool as the Klegg.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

She is the girl at the wedding who saves patriot

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kate was great because she had no powers and just confidently asserted herself to the boys. I adore her character arc.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I picked up a bunch of Rat Queens on comixology last night on a whim and I don't know what the heck is going on. I had previously read issues 1-12 along with the Braga special so I picked up volume 3, 4 and the recent relaunch.

I finished up volume 3 last night and

hannah is arrested, the rest of the queens are coming to rescue her or something, her dad is presumed dead and/or imprisoned, hannah is in deepshit with a demon

so I start volume 4 and its completely different they're all living with gerrard, braga is in the group, everything is sunshine and roses

what the heck did I miss here?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Looks like volume four is part of the relaunch. I thought it was a soft reboot, but I haven't read it myself. I wouldn't expect any of the story lines to continue through it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Kate was great because she had no powers and just confidently asserted herself to the boys. I adore her character arc.

She's like the opposite of original flavor Hawkeye, it's amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey now, Clint can't help that he was written poorly for 40 years!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

That's the same as saying the avengers were written poorly for 40 years.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Jealous carny is and will always be the best superhero/villain origin story.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

That's the same as saying the avengers were written poorly for 40 years.

I fail to see a problem with that statement.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Patrick Spens posted:

Jealous carny is and will always be the best superhero/villain origin story.

And he carries that with him to know that he is in fact a dude with a bow and arrow in a silly costume.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Molybdenum posted:

I picked up a bunch of Rat Queens on comixology last night on a whim and I don't know what the heck is going on. I had previously read issues 1-12 along with the Braga special so I picked up volume 3, 4 and the recent relaunch.

I finished up volume 3 last night and

hannah is arrested, the rest of the queens are coming to rescue her or something, her dad is presumed dead and/or imprisoned, hannah is in deepshit with a demon

so I start volume 4 and its completely different they're all living with gerrard, braga is in the group, everything is sunshine and roses

what the heck did I miss here?

It kept getting delayed due to artist issues and the writer kind of lost the thread by vol3, so he did a semi reboot.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

How's the series doing now?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Retro Futurist posted:

It kept getting delayed due to artist issues and the writer kind of lost the thread by vol3, so he did a semi reboot.

I did read that the original artist was facing domestic violence charges...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC they got another artist and they also had to quit after some scandal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC they got another artist and they also had to quit after some scandal.

I don't think there was a scandal, he just quit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Didn't Tess Fowler quit when she found out Wiebe was trying to get Upchurch back?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's the story she gave yeah

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I don't think there was a scandal, he just quit.

Sejic only did two issues (and some covers) and then quit, saying he was having health problems. I think there was some fan speculation that he just wanted to focus more on his own work (Sunstone et al) because it was more profitable than half of Rat Queens. Dunno how much substance there is to that, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Selachian posted:

Sejic only did two issues (and some covers) and then quit, saying he was having health problems. I think there was some fan speculation that he just wanted to focus more on his own work (Sunstone et al) because it was more profitable than half of Rat Queens. Dunno how much substance there is to that, though.

The dude does like to overwork himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Selachian posted:

Sejic realized that the comic is cursed and wanted to get out before a meteor hit him or something.