Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Garrand posted:

Yeah, IIRC elmnt80 works in an auto parts store.

Yeah, this is motor oil. :v:

Its been in the loving ground for a million years or so. Another 6 months on our shelf ain't gonna hurt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Jyrraeth posted:

Mr. I don't help customers and will audibly sigh and roll my eyes when they interrupt me.

I’ll ask you not to doxx me in future tia.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Me - holding a shelf I just pulled off a wall while up to my ankles in the product from said shelf

Customer: "Where's the brand floor cleaner?"

Me: "Next aisle, midway down, bottom shelf"

Customer - walks away, then comes back after 10 seconds "I don't see it."

Me - sets down shelf, walks them to the next aisle, midway down, bottom shelf, and hands them the floor cleaner

Customer: "Oh, I didn't go down the far"

Me:

Jyrraeth posted:

Mr. I don't help customers and will audibly sigh and roll my eyes when they interrupt me.

Had a lady, and two friends come in at 8, shop till 9, for over $250 worth of poo poo. I started ringing her up, and midway through the sale wanted two gift card (Visa & Lowes), which red flagged me instantly. Told her I can do them, in cash, after the first sale.

So it's time to pay, she wants to use her phone, which we do, it works, but hers doesn't. cue a minute of her rubbing her phone over the CC machine (and she knows what the brand of CC machine is, which is odd). Then she pulls out her card to pay, no chip in it, so she swipes, the machine doesn't even beep when she swipes it, which is weird, like the mag strip isn't activated. So she pulls out another card, same thing, then another, same thing.

Then she starts wanting me to manually enter the card, but I'm getting some real bad vibes, so I tell her we can't (and we're not supposed to). So she is starts asking for that, trying to get me to do it "by receipt," to use the old manual card thing, switch registers (we can't do that), trying to get the other guy to do stuff, who calls the boss (who is also like don't do it). She just basically keeps getting more and more insistent on doing ways that are esoteric to say the least)

Eventually she just left, but gently caress, it's memorial day weekend, go have a picnic you store scum. And had two returns at 9:30 last night. I really don't want to lose my cool on a customer, but gently caress an I getting there this week.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I once had a lady come in on Xmas eve, ten minutes before close, wanting a shipping rate on 'gifts' to Nigeria. She was pretty mad when the system was down, but left.

Mad enough that after we closed, the phone rang, which meant corporate was calling, because the bitch hadn't left the parking lot and was calling because I refused her service. Cue the next 15 minutes of me manually rebooting, opening the doors for her smug rear end, and her dragging in....4 stained Playskool chairs, a kid's table, and a garbage bag full of used clothes. Color me surprised.

Color her a screaming maniac when the estimate rate was over $800, not including packing. Her husband looked past dead as he hauled the poo poo back out and she screaming the entire time.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I feel bad for family members witness their fellow family member go berserk over something stupid.

I remember a long time ago a mother and a teenage son (15sh?) were shopping and lady was being a bitch over something stupid I forgot what. The son had a look of wanting to die right then and there. I recall another similar scenario and teenage daughter was trying to calm her mother down. It was probably something dumb about being out of particular flavor yogurt. I noticed a few husbands try to swerve an impeding bitchfest from their wives too.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Maintenance guy came in from doing something on the roof, noticed that one of our coolers is leaking heavily.

He took the yellow cone off of a literal hole in the floor to put near the puddle and left without mentioning either of these problems to anyone.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
That reminds me. One of our sister stores had a slight problem yesterday. Four out of six compressors decided to that they'd grown tired and living and died, one after another, like a Christmas tree light suicide pact.

Refrigeration was lost. Not in one section, in the entire store.

I'd kind of love it for it to happen at mine because gently caress, it sure would solve all my rotation problems.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That reminds me. One of our sister stores had a slight problem yesterday. Four out of six compressors decided to that they'd grown tired and living and died, one after another, like a Christmas tree light suicide pact.

Refrigeration was lost. Not in one section, in the entire store.

I'd kind of love it for it to happen at mine because gently caress, it sure would solve all my rotation problems.

I had the option to let this happen to my store, as we had an electrical issue over the weekend and there's no way it gets fixed before things spoil. But like an idiot I did what the manager asked me and reset the unshielded fuse box :shrug:

I didn't know what I had done at the time, although he really REALLY should have checked I understood how serious it was that he asked me to do.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Not quite the same as losing tons of food, but it always amused me at the copy store when a printer went down, and always on weekends, and we only had one black and white and one color. And to call a tech and schedule one to come out was a 48 hour business day turnaround. When I worked in the main print center, it was literally within an hour or two because the contract with them was 24/7.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Bias training is today.

I, for one, am glad I'm being paid to not make 400 frappucinos and deal with customers this afternoon.

Even if that does mean I have to watch training modules on an iPad being shared with 8 other people for four hours.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
It sucks being someone who actually wants to move up while all the higher positions are held by people with no desires to go any higher than they are.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Anora posted:

Me - holding a shelf I just pulled off a wall while up to my ankles in the product from said shelf

Customer: "Where's the brand floor cleaner?"

Me: "Next aisle, midway down, bottom shelf"

Customer - walks away, then comes back after 10 seconds "I don't see it."

Me - sets down shelf, walks them to the next aisle, midway down, bottom shelf, and hands them the floor cleaner

Customer: "Oh, I didn't go down the far"

Me:

Had a lady, and two friends come in at 8, shop till 9, for over $250 worth of poo poo. I started ringing her up, and midway through the sale wanted two gift card (Visa & Lowes), which red flagged me instantly. Told her I can do them, in cash, after the first sale.

So it's time to pay, she wants to use her phone, which we do, it works, but hers doesn't. cue a minute of her rubbing her phone over the CC machine (and she knows what the brand of CC machine is, which is odd). Then she pulls out her card to pay, no chip in it, so she swipes, the machine doesn't even beep when she swipes it, which is weird, like the mag strip isn't activated. So she pulls out another card, same thing, then another, same thing.

Then she starts wanting me to manually enter the card, but I'm getting some real bad vibes, so I tell her we can't (and we're not supposed to). So she is starts asking for that, trying to get me to do it "by receipt," to use the old manual card thing, switch registers (we can't do that), trying to get the other guy to do stuff, who calls the boss (who is also like don't do it). She just basically keeps getting more and more insistent on doing ways that are esoteric to say the least)

Eventually she just left, but gently caress, it's memorial day weekend, go have a picnic you store scum. And had two returns at 9:30 last night. I really don't want to lose my cool on a customer, but gently caress an I getting there this week.

You should have reported her for retail fraud. Those cards were probably all stolen or re-coded with stolen details.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pentaghastly posted:

Bias training is today.

I, for one, am glad I'm being paid to not make 400 frappucinos and deal with customers this afternoon.

Even if that does mean I have to watch training modules on an iPad being shared with 8 other people for four hours.

I'd love to know details on what happened, is it just "watch a movie, sign this paper, RACISM IS SOLVED" or was there an actual effort?

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Volmarias posted:

I'd love to know details on what happened, is it just "watch a movie, sign this paper, RACISM IS SOLVED" or was there an actual effort?

Lots of watching videos. My group just did all the activities while the videos played. Had a little discussion about race, finished an hour early, then did all the closing duties we had and we're out.

Very cringey scenario was like "I saw a group of teenagers and immediately thought 'oh there going to order a bunch of frappucinos' but sometimes! they dont always do that. Sometimes they get caramel macchiatos and passion teas with classic syrup. My bias was WRONG"

It was so...like that isnt the same as assuming qualities about a person because of their race. Like come on starbucks.

Also COLOR BRAVE was a theme

Edit: another scenario where a scruffy looking guy asked a woman in line for money, barista says "sir you arent allowed to panhandle here" and the woman in line says "thats my husband!!". I laughed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

Very cringey scenario was like "I saw a group of teenagers and immediately thought 'oh there going to order a bunch of frappucinos' but sometimes! they dont always do that. Sometimes they get caramel macchiatos and passion teas with classic syrup. My bias was WRONG"

:psyduck:

quote:

Also COLOR BRAVE was a theme

At least they addressed it a little. I'm curious how much, if any, lasting impact that training makes. Did anyone have a profound relevation about the nature of race in America?

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
We had a notebook to write down our private thoughts and it also had some prompts for us to answer and discuss. Such as "what do you want to say to your customers about today?" And stuff like the first time we experienced or noticed things like (and I have the notebook in front of me now) "your racial identity", "how you altered your communication style to avoid playing into stereotypes" things like that. Which....when you're white you don't really think of yourself as "white" so I couldn't answer the first one. Another question that asked about wearing your natural hair to work without comments or questions.

I think the point was to show white people how they don't ever have to think about race because they aren't a marginalised group. Meanwhile when you're a person of color your entire life experiences are shaped by being black or asian.

They asked us to rate some statements on scale of easy to hard difficulty. For example "I can voice my dissatisfaction with a situation and not be told I'm 'too angry'". As a woman I rated that "hard" because I've been called a crazy bitch or a oval office just because I was angry and letting people know about it. But like...a black woman voices her dissatisfaction and gets told she has a bad attitude, a black man does it and its "threatening" and someone calls the police because theyre "threatened" and we know how that ends.

I think if other people in my group took this seriously we could have had a great discussion about that where we didnt feel like we were speaking out of place because we were white. We're female, too, how does it feel when someone tells you you're being a bitch just because you were angry? Would they ever say the same to an angry white man?

Look, I really just don't want to hear from customers tomorrow about our bias training and its a difficult burden to place on my coworkers who arent white to lead a discussion with a white customer about race and what happened today. I live in the bible belt in a predominantly white suburb. Our customers are racist as gently caress.

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 30, 2018

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's difficult to have discussions with customers since they communicate in grunts, hoots and screams.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

Look, I really just don't want to hear from customers tomorrow about our bias training and its a difficult burden to place on my coworkers who arent white to lead a discussion with a white customer about race and what happened today. I live in the bible belt in a predominantly white suburb. Our customers are racist as gently caress.

Understood, sorry if I was pressuring you to answer about this. It sounds like it was actually done in an interesting and useful way :unsmith:

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Volmarias posted:

Understood, sorry if I was pressuring you to answer about this. It sounds like it was actually done in an interesting and useful way :unsmith:

Haha, its fine. I don't mind sharing what we discussed today. If anything I'm "bringing our mission and our values to life" as I connect with all of you :respek: one doodoo cup of coffee at a time

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vonnie posted:

It sucks being someone who actually wants to move up while all the higher positions are held by people with no desires to go any higher than they are.

This is a big issue in my mind at my work.

It goes sales rep > assistant manager > manager > district manager.

District managers have been trimmed down, and lord knows they’re not going anywhere otherwise. Which means that store managers are having fewer places to get promoted to. And then it trickles down the assistants. Etc.

There are a few branches where maybe you could be over indirect. Or small business, which has a huge turn over rate.

Overall, the main silver lining is that I make way better commission than management, so I can chill being on the bottom, but whenever they decide to kill commission, yeah, there’s no pathway for promotion anymore.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Today in Bureaucracy Gone Mad, there is a new system separate to the one for payroll that checks how many people work on any given day. As we never close, this means that if the guy who starts at midnight clocks in one minute early it raises a flag that there were more people working that day than there were supposed to be.

Then the regional manager has to call the store manager for a chat.

Over a minute.

That nobody got paid for.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pentaghastly posted:

We had a notebook to write down our private thoughts and it also had some prompts for us to answer and discuss. Such as "what do you want to say to your customers about today?" And stuff like the first time we experienced or noticed things like (and I have the notebook in front of me now) "your racial identity", "how you altered your communication style to avoid playing into stereotypes" things like that. Which....when you're white you don't really think of yourself as "white" so I couldn't answer the first one. Another question that asked about wearing your natural hair to work without comments or questions.

I think the point was to show white people how they don't ever have to think about race because they aren't a marginalised group. Meanwhile when you're a person of color your entire life experiences are shaped by being black or asian.

They asked us to rate some statements on scale of easy to hard difficulty. For example "I can voice my dissatisfaction with a situation and not be told I'm 'too angry'". As a woman I rated that "hard" because I've been called a crazy bitch or a oval office just because I was angry and letting people know about it. But like...a black woman voices her dissatisfaction and gets told she has a bad attitude, a black man does it and its "threatening" and someone calls the police because theyre "threatened" and we know how that ends.

I think if other people in my group took this seriously we could have had a great discussion about that where we didnt feel like we were speaking out of place because we were white. We're female, too, how does it feel when someone tells you you're being a bitch just because you were angry? Would they ever say the same to an angry white man?

Based on this and other accounts I’ve heard it sounds like Starbucks got THIS close to actually doing something cool and good but missed the mark, probably because it is 100% about PR and their hearts aren’t really in it.

[quote="Pentaghastly" post=""484560034”"]
[/quote]
:sever:

Edit: Starbucks botched the hell out of this whole thing start to finish IMO. Given how manifestly they don’t really want to give a poo poo about anything but their image, they would have been much better off just issuing a bland “The events in Philiadelphia do not reflect Starbucks’ values” statement, firing the store manager in question and going radio silent and the whole thing would have dropped out of the 24-hour media churn in about three days.

It would have been best to have actually taken the opportunity to make some real changes to both policy and attitude and do some serious training, but they clearly weren’t interested in that and the way they handled it just made things worse for them as opposed to doing nothing. I suspect they got bad advice from a PR agency that was more interested in generating billable hours for itself than in giving its client good advice.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 30, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, most of your customers will be seething over the left wing going PC madder because Roseanne got cancelled.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pentaghastly posted:

"what do you want to say to your customers about today?"
:vd: is what immediately comes to mind

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

I was thinking "put on deodorant". More than a few of mine smell like someone rolled a leaky forty in a pile of yesterday's cigarette ash.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
And gangrene. Don't forget the diabetics with rotting limbs lurching between the aisles leaving a trail of ichor.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Starbucks operates under the assumption that we care about "making Starbucks a third place" and "inspiring and nurturing the spirit" of our poo poo customers that think me and my coworkers are idiots and treat us like we're not even human for only 9.50 an hour. You can read reviews of any establishment and see dickheads talk about how we expect $15 an hour for whatever it is they think we do all day or how a self-service kiosk would be better

It's pathetic, actually. Who are they kidding? We sell overpriced sugar beverages that I'm pretty sure contribute more to obesity than soda. "Coffee healthy!" The salted caramel mochas we sold during Christmas? 370 calories for a TALL.

We still have a woman who gets it as a frappucino EVERYDAY. I'm not nurturing her spirit!! If anything I'm facilitating her slow death!

I've got 8 hours to look forward to today. I will not be "nurturing spirits" because I dont get paid enough to do that.

Sorry for ranting. I hate my job and its cringe "values" and "missions"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If retail has made you hate people (and I mean, how can't it, it's just a matter of time) you might actually be happier making similar money just doing laundry at a hotel or washing dishes in a restaurant or something.

I have a friend/former coworker who was a really great front desk clerk at a midsize hotel, but after two years she got so fed up with her ineffectual boss (who hid in her office, never enforced a schedule and let all the lazy assholes in the department do whatever they pleased) and the company's policy of bending over for the worst customers to a preposterous extent (a plague in the hotel industry because executives are terrified of negative online reviews) that she quit for a lower paying job, and when that didn't work out she returned to the hotel but only wanted to do laundry all day. She went to the GM and told him that she never wanted to talk directly to a guest again so she'll do laundry for less pay. She's such a great worker that the GM accepted this arrangement and she's been doing that the past nine months and is genuinely happier. It's hard work (and being in the same room with like 12 running commercial dryers all day really sucks) but she can just go to work, work for 7 hours, then go home and forget about it.

At this point retail jobs pay so lovely and retail workers are treated so lovely that menial labor jobs actually might be better if you're not super extroverted.

e: or learn/get licensed to drive a forklift. Then you can get a warehouse job where you'll be constantly hounded by your boss to go FASTER FASTER FASTER GODDAMMIT until you dream of locking every manager in the company in a barn and torching it, but at least you'll be paid like $12/hr and won't end up hating everyone in the entire world, just your managers.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 30, 2018

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hey, for those of you in Massachusetts (which includes myself and probably at least one other person in this thread), the state legislature failed to act on the minimum wage bill in April, which means it will go to a referendum as part of the general election in November.

For those that don't know, the tl;dr of the bill is:
  • Minimum wage goes from $11/hr to $12/hr ($3.75 to $5.05 tipped) on January 1st, 2019
  • Goes to $13/hr ($6.35 tipped) on January 1st, 2020
  • Goes to $14/hr ($7.64 tipped) on January 1st, 2021
  • Goes to $15/hr ($9.00 tipped) on January 1st, 2022
  • Annually starting January 1st, 2023, minimum wage increases are based on the 12-month percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If retail has made you hate people (and I mean, how can't it, it's just a matter of time) you might actually be happier making similar money just doing laundry at a hotel or washing dishes in a restaurant or something.

At this point retail jobs pay so lovely and retail workers are treated so lovely that menial labor jobs actually might be better if you're not super extroverted.

e: or learn/get licensed to drive a forklift. Then you can get a warehouse job where you'll be constantly hounded by your boss to go FASTER FASTER FASTER GODDAMMIT until you dream of locking every manager in the company in a barn and torching it, but at least you'll be paid like $12/hr and won't end up hating everyone in the entire world, just your managers.
This is where I'm at now, except I want to move out of state too. I hate customers and coworkers and management alike. Despite being a department manager, I'm a big time introvert myself and just want to be left alone wherever I go. I'm tired of hearing customers whine to me how we're out of a cheap rear end hotdog, pay 50 cents more for a different kind bitch. I'm sick of hearing coworkers complain how I got a big delivery coming in to throw, put a little hustle into it and work it out quickly you lazy bum. Sick of hearing management hounding me about the dumbest of policies, sure thing dude I'll be sure to date those boxes so we can properly rotate those 2-3 boxes per stack.

Also the last day before my current vacation that I'm in, store manager made me do disciplinary paperwork to my hardest working coworker, my assistant, because he accidentally missed ordering a couple of hotdogs. We were busting our asses for memorial's day weekend. The look on his face when I gave it to him, he was just in disbelief. We all make mistakes, and disciplining someone over a couple hotdogs when we got a slew of other hotdogs on sale was ridiculous. It's poo poo like this that make me hate my job. It's hard enough getting a reliable good worker, but don't punish them over an occasional mistake.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I actually don't mind most of my customers. They're occasionally annoying.

I mind being taken off my truck to go get carts, not because no one at the front end is available, but because one cashier is off talking to someone in another department, and the others are busy talking to each other.

I mind being expected to work like a highly-trained, highly-motivated professional, while being paid like a pauper.

I mind never knowing what the gently caress days I'm working every week.

I mind that I absolutely cannot delegate one thing to someone else below managerial level and expect that it'll actually get done.

It isn't the job I mind, so much as the cavalcade of minor annoyances that build and build like the sound of a million angry ants gradually falling into lockstep, marching in the shape of a middle finger.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yawgmoth posted:

I think we all feel that. I know I did today running on four hours of sleep. But I don't sell burnt coffee so there is that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kilonum posted:

Hey, for those of you in Massachusetts (which includes myself and probably at least one other person in this thread), the state legislature failed to act on the minimum wage bill in April, which means it will go to a referendum as part of the general election in November.

For those that don't know, the tl;dr of the bill is:
  • Minimum wage goes from $11/hr to $12/hr ($3.75 to $5.05 tipped) on January 1st, 2019
  • Goes to $13/hr ($6.35 tipped) on January 1st, 2020
  • Goes to $14/hr ($7.64 tipped) on January 1st, 2021
  • Goes to $15/hr ($9.00 tipped) on January 1st, 2022
  • Annually starting January 1st, 2023, minimum wage increases are based on the 12-month percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index

Gonna repost this in the restaurant industry thread.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Tipped minimum wage is such bullshit. I'm glad that my stake enforces regular minimum wage for all employees.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

therobit posted:

Tipped minimum wage is such bullshit. I'm glad that my stake enforces regular minimum wage for all employees.

It's hard to overturn because of the casual tax fraud that tipping structures encourage, among any number of other issues.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So our trash compactor is bust. We're currently waiting for a replacement and have been having a dumpster delivered to the store and picked up when it gets full.

Turns out the manager is waiting for a used one to become available, so we've been doing this dumpster stuff for 2 weeks so far. Guess what? An open air dumpster attracts vermin like I dunno... rats? Today we have found rats in the produce section. Faaantastic. Good thing I got the next 2 days off.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Discendo Vox posted:

It's hard to overturn because of the casual tax fraud that tipping structures encourage, among any number of other issues.

In Oregon they still get tips anyway. Honest question: How does under-reporting of income keep tipped minimum wage alive?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I always tip cash so the waitstaff can under-report their tips if they want to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Starbucks operates under the assumption that we care about "making Starbucks a third place" and "inspiring and nurturing the spirit" of our poo poo customers that think me and my coworkers are idiots and treat us like we're not even human for only 9.50 an hour. You can read reviews of any establishment and see dickheads talk about how we expect $15 an hour for whatever it is they think we do all day or how a self-service kiosk would be better

It's pathetic, actually. Who are they kidding? We sell overpriced sugar beverages that I'm pretty sure contribute more to obesity than soda. "Coffee healthy!" The salted caramel mochas we sold during Christmas? 370 calories for a TALL.

We still have a woman who gets it as a frappucino EVERYDAY. I'm not nurturing her spirit!! If anything I'm facilitating her slow death!

I've got 8 hours to look forward to today. I will not be "nurturing spirits" because I dont get paid enough to do that.

Sorry for ranting. I hate my job and its cringe "values" and "missions"

Hey, rant away, that’s a big part of this thread.

I’m sure you know you need to get out at some point. Not sure if you posted here or not, so sorry if this is a repeat question, but do you have a longer term goal you’re working towards?

There are better paying and valued jobs that you can qualify for and get rewarded better for your effort. They’re harder to find, and it just takes s lot of time to job search and network while also working full time, but they are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

therobit posted:

In Oregon they still get tips anyway. Honest question: How does under-reporting of income keep tipped minimum wage alive?

People think it means tipping will end (partly because some places that implement individual living wage standards do things to discourage tipping). The people who underreport believe that "gravy train" will dry up compared to reported, taxed income. A lot of the culture around tipping revolves around really crappy internalized beliefs about worth and competition that don't bear out. In practice, raising the minimum wage, removing the tip exemption and pegging the rate to an economic indicator equation is one of the real low-hanging fruit in US policy, across the board.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 31, 2018