Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Wheres Wallace posted:

FREEZE ALL LOCOMOTIVE DISCUSSION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

All this train talk makes me worry that everyone in this thread got vaccinated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuVVlSgYLc

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm enjoying all the goons who can not believe that someone could misunderstand the train scene given all the information provided in the scenes that followed it. How could you dumbos think Dolores stayed on the part of the train with the engine when it very clearly is driven into the mesa in a later scene you hadn't seen yet? How could you think the train is in a barren area when a later scene you didn't know about very clearly shows the train is close to the mesa?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blazing Ownager posted:

In all fairness, this was kind of shot very bizarrely.

The way it played off (and I was paying attention) it looked like they detached the rear car with the tech in it, not the engine. I was like "Why is he so upset about them cutting him loose while they ride off?"

Maybe it was just me but I think it was shot oddly and it's the main source of the confusion.

:same:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I'm enjoying all the goons who can not believe that someone could misunderstand the train scene given all the information provided in the scenes that followed it. How could you dumbos think Dolores stayed on the part of the train with the engine when it very clearly is driven into the mesa in a later scene you hadn't seen yet? How could you think the train is in a barren area when a later scene you didn't know about very clearly shows the train is close to the mesa?

..but you DID see the scenes immediately afterwards? :psyduck:

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Seriously watch the scene again, it is not ambiguous in anyway.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
I went and found a youtube video of some people reacting to the train scene live incase after half a dozen pages the train buzz from written posts is wearing off and you need a quick topper.

(timestamped 1315 / 21:55)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CDYV1kY_BM&t=1315s

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It was shot in a way that made you need to pay attention to details. Which is good

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TTerrible posted:

..but you DID see the scenes immediately afterwards? :psyduck:

Yes, and those scenes cleared up what happened. That was my whole point. When watching that train scene for the first time, it's easy to get the wrong impression at first before you get more information than the direction the background is moving and half a second of seeing the engine. I don't think anyone still thinks the tech was on his own train car that got left behind. People were saying they thought that at the time, before receiving further information.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Look, goons can either pay attention to the show or to other people’s posts, or neither, but not both.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, and those scenes cleared up what happened. That was my whole point. When watching that train scene for the first time, it's easy to get the wrong impression at first before you get more information than the direction the background is moving and half a second of seeing the engine. I don't think anyone still thinks the tech was on his own train car that got left behind. People were saying they thought that at the time, before receiving further information.

ok but what direction was the tech facing? You can't have it both ways

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TTerrible posted:

I think you're too far gone.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Honestly had Teddy not given him the pistol, this would all be more clear.

The pistol implies "going to be stranded alone for days and starve to death" not "you're gonna explode in 30 seconds but here you go I guess you can shoot yourself first if you want"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I accept your apology.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Honestly had Teddy not given him the pistol, this would all be more clear.

The pistol implies "going to be stranded alone for days and starve to death" not "you're gonna explode in 30 seconds but here you go I guess you can shoot yourself first if you want"

Yea, it was a useless guesture by teddy because Teddy's a dick. Duh

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Btw rear end in a top hat Teddy is the most fun teddy. Remember the Gatling gun scene last season

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WampaLord posted:

The pistol implies "going to be stranded alone for days and starve to death a 5 minute walk from The Mesa" not "you're gonna explode in 30 seconds but here you go I guess you can shoot yourself first if you want"

Can't have it both ways!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blazing Ownager posted:

Not my guess.

My guess is the reason they need all the data of who people 'really are' is for one word... fidelity. For when they replace them.

Yeah that works for me, you think the hosts are there to perform for you and take you on quests but every single thing they say to you is designed to psychoanalyze/probe your mind without you even realizing it. Pretty much a reverse turing test while you think you're having fun time cowboy adventures.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Can't have it both ways!

Holy poo poo. The scene where we find out the train is really close to the mesa happens AFTER that scene. Someone who thought they were abandoning the tech in the desert didn't know how close they were to the mesa yet.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The pistol thing was so insanely painfully obvious why would you even post that you misunderstood it christ that is emberassing:psyduck: whyyyyyyyyyyy

You don't necessarily die the second the train crashes, maybe you get steam shot all over you first, or you survive the initial crash somehow and slowly burn to death. So you're given a pistol with a single bullet to make your death a quick, sure thing. But you're definitely going to be in a train crash because someone gave you a suicide method and then pulled the pin connecting two cars and it is so god drat obvious if you are paying any attention at all. :psyduck: jfc this thread

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Did the train have a muffin or a ball? The gun was to shoot the trains control unit, ending the simulation. We didn't see it not happen.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
i acquit this muffin train

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TTerrible posted:

Did the train have a muffin or a ball? The gun was to shoot the trains control unit, ending the simulation. We didn't see it not happen.

The train is the ball and The Mesa is the muffin.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TTerrible posted:

I love my muffin ball train

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it was pretty cool when that one japanese dude who's in everything requiring a part played by a japanese dude chopped off that soldiers hand.

but then it made me miss James Fong, who was a pretty cool dude. he is dead, right? anyways, lo pan floating in and kung-fu'ing some muthafucks would be pretty cool and totally appropriate.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I was disappointed that the samurai duel was a long back and forth thing and wasn't like a stylish Kurasawa deal where they stare menacingly at each other for half a minute and then the whole thing is over in one slice a big blood spurt.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cirofren posted:

The muffin I guess. Let's say it's an interface between the pure code control unit and the flesh host.

I guess the cradle is used as a restore point for when hosts die and need a mind wipe? What else would the use it for and why couldn't Abernathy or Clements get a cradle restore instead of cold storage? I didn't mind the addition of balls and muffins but the cradle seems to make a good season one a bit dumber in the wider view.

Going back a few pages but while there does seem to be a little bit of retconning going on with the way Hosts are treated, not restoring malfunctioning hosts like Clementine or Abernathy does make sense. If a host is corrupted due to overwhelming physical damage (say a crushed head) or mental trauma beyond the usual bounds their narrative is designed for (Maeve seeing her daughter killed by William) then they can fix that by doing a reset and restoring to backup if necessary.

From the perspective of most techs however the Abernathy and Clementine malfunctions had some unexplained elements. If you roll back to an earlier working backup there is no guarantee that the same flaws wouldn't reoccur so it's not worth the risk.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Thing with Abernathy and Clem, what was the drill supposed to do? For Clem it turned her into some kind of undeadish drone that kind of remembers who she was. For Abernathy it did fuckall until they overloaded his brain with the databall. It didn’t stop them from being able to function or anything. Much less the other hundred or however many in cold storage.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkkF6Zz67TE

Seriously, how goddamn great was Toshiro Mifune?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Entropic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkkF6Zz67TE

Seriously, how goddamn great was Toshiro Mifune?

On a side note 13 Assassins rocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgPC74-Tde8

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

TK-42-1 posted:

Thing with Abernathy and Clem, what was the drill supposed to do? For Clem it turned her into some kind of undeadish drone that kind of remembers who she was. For Abernathy it did fuckall until they overloaded his brain with the databall. It didn’t stop them from being able to function or anything. Much less the other hundred or however many in cold storage.

It definitely stopped Abernathy when they did the procedure, he had to be reactivated from cold storage by Charlotte.

But yes, they imply the procedure is irreversable, like the drill breaks the muffin and destroys the ball, but the hosts are actually doing fine now. Maybe Charlotte replaced Abernathy's ball and Delores replaced Clementine's ball?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Entropic posted:

i acquit this muffin man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptoN-5QE0Lw

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

santanotreal posted:

It was shot poorly and had me confused for a few seconds. Once the tunnel exploded, it only took a few more seconds to process the actual order of events with the train.

Oh yeah, same here.

When the blip appeared on the radar I figured out the proper order, but that was still a very odd shot of it the detachment to be that confusing.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

TK-42-1 posted:

Thing with Abernathy and Clem, what was the drill supposed to do?
The nose drill was basically host lobotomy. Don't think about it much more than that. Like lobotomized patients, Clem kind of knows who she was, she can still perform basic motor functions (albeit with machine-like precision), and she lost most communicative functions. The results might be a little less unpredictable, but the point's the same: It turns the hosts into shadows of their former selves, but there is something leftover. Maybe Bernard using her for his confrontation with Ford changed things a little, but a 50s-era psychiatric horror story is the archetype that she reminds me of most, so that's what I've gone with.

Also, Abernathy had plenty of extra poo poo done on his dome so there's a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous with him. Lotta strands in the old Duder's head.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 30, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The tech took the gun and used it to shoot the train engine, that’s what caused the explosion.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You guys have all seen Every Frame a Painting, right?

His episode on Kurasawa is really great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

The tech took the gun and used it to shoot the train engine, that’s what caused the explosion.

Ward and May were just talking

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

bring back old gbs posted:

The pistol thing was so insanely painfully obvious why would you even post that you misunderstood it christ that is emberassing:psyduck: whyyyyyyyyyyy

You don't necessarily die the second the train crashes, maybe you get steam shot all over you first, or you survive the initial crash somehow and slowly burn to death. So you're given a pistol with a single bullet to make your death a quick, sure thing. But you're definitely going to be in a train crash because someone gave you a suicide method and then pulled the pin connecting two cars and it is so god drat obvious if you are paying any attention at all. :psyduck: jfc this thread

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bring Back Hiroyuki Sanada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bring back old gbs posted:

Goons Are Bad At Watching TV

see also: All of TVIV