Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nate, Sarah and John would smoke him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can't really stay in this thread long because I don't want any of the ridiculous plotlines to get spoiled, but I'm near the end of season one and this show is hilarious. Not even attempting to be an overwrought prestige drama like all the Marvel shows, every actor having tons of fun with the material, just everything about Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell (not something I'd ever thought I'd say).

I would so far put this above any Marvel show for at least pure entertainment value.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

dont even fink about it posted:

I can't really stay in this thread long because I don't want any of the ridiculous plotlines to get spoiled, but I'm near the end of season one and this show is hilarious. Not even attempting to be an overwrought prestige drama like all the Marvel shows, every actor having tons of fun with the material, just everything about Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell (not something I'd ever thought I'd say).

I would so far put this above any Marvel show for at least pure entertainment value.

It only gets better from here. Season 1 is where they ARE tryharding with the plot and drama.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's nice to hear that about Season 1, the thing was a slog watched live when you have to dwell on the bad parts. Good news: they figure out what works and run with it.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Bruceski posted:

Good news: they figure out what works and run with it.

Bingo. They have an over-arching plot to deal with for each timeline but don't really bog down the show with long, stupid drama or love triangles or other nonsense after season 1. They just use it to guide the Time Idiots from one episode's plot to the next. It uses this freedom to get weird with it and keeps pushing the boundaries on what weird even is.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

God, if this is how you're feeling about season 1, then season 2 will blow your mind. Then season 3 will piledrive whatever is left of you from low earth orbit directly into the dirt.

Feel totally free to livepost reactions.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Then season 3 will piledrive whatever is left of you from low earth orbit directly into the dirt.

Praise Beebo!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bruceski posted:

It's nice to hear that about Season 1, the thing was a slog watched live when you have to dwell on the bad parts. Good news: they figure out what works and run with it.

Season 1 would have been fine without the Hawk people or Vandal Savage.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

Season 1 would have been fine without the Hawk people or Vandal Savage.

It would have been fine without the Hawks and if Vandal Savage was in 1950s domestic goddess and 2200s scenery chewing evil emperor mode pretty much all the time, because those were the only couple of times his character was actually interesting and showed something of a personality and was in keeping with the future goofiness of Legends.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It probably would have also been fine without Hawkman, specifically.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

I'm near the end of season one and this show is hilarious.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Feel totally free to livepost reactions.
I'm also interested in reactionposting.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
At least keep us up to date on Nate’s shift from “I like books!” to “:catdrugs: for everyone!”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inkspot posted:

At least keep us up to date on Nate’s shift from “I like books!” to “:catdrugs: for everyone!”

And his concurrent shift from "I like books!" to "Dude, can I bang your mom? :heysexy:"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That usually happens after taking drugs, so it’s pretty legit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I can say from experience that watching the concluding episode of Crisis on Earth-X at the gym is a bad idea. It's hard to keep a good pace on an elliptical when you're at risk of bawling your eyes out

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Heh I still smile when I think of Nate saying "We heard there was a cougar in the neighbourhood" when talking to Ray's hot mom.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

I can say from experience that watching the concluding episode of Crisis on Earth-X at the gym is a bad idea. It's hard to keep a good pace on an elliptical when you're at risk of bawling your eyes out

I had to play therapist for a friend of mine over Discord as he semi-live trip reported watching Supergirl from the beginning to now and just got rocked by Earth-X Part 4 :allears:/:smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Heh I still smile when I think of Nate saying "We heard there was a cougar in the neighbourhood" when talking to Ray's hot mom.

That entire sub plot was just brilliant

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

That entire sub plot was just brilliant

His body language in that is also fantastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nick Zano is a goddamned delight.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Nick Zano is a goddamned delight.

Him and Masie Richardson-Sellers play off each other so well, so I'm perfectly content if they just end every season with Amaya going "I'm going back to Zambesi" and then contriving increasingly ridiculous reasons to bring her back at the start of the next for as long as they both want to be a part of the show.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I need to call up DC and have them do up some Suns Out Guns Out tank tops like Nate had

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I finished season 1 tonight and, well, the show writes itself into a corner after the Chronos reveal and slows down a lot after episode 9. The western episode is... Not great, and while Savage is not exactly horrible, he also gets killed constantly (several times just getting blasted off the set and the story), so the actual recurring villain is the group's idiocy. There's also a couple of threads here and there that just go nowhere, like Future Hitler Babby and Savage's army of semi-immortal cultists. In this show, staging an intervention for people is a powerful tool to get them to stop being insane.

-Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell have a perfect yin yang of over-acting and under-acting. As a homicidal psychopath who is the only person in touch with his feelings, Purcell is the beating heart of the show. I wish the show always hit this level of hilarity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df4omAHJMbk

I have no idea how Purcell could say some of those lines without busting up.

-Arthur Darvill is not really a believable dashing rogue in any sense, which makes it kind of better, especially when comrades in arms from his previous adventures also don't believe that.

-Hawkpeople: Really lame and no one is sure why they are in this show, including them. I mean geez, Rip Hunter stole their villain from them. After getting killed by Savage... 206 times, was it? Yeah maybe they need to find a new line of work. Also maybe their gimmick shouldn't be getting owned.

-Brandon Routh can turn big or small and probably solve any problem that way, but won't, since that would mean he is in any way useful without someone directly encouraging him. Also making Brandon Routh play a useless dork is an in-joke in itself.

-Caity Lotz just straight-up being Xena, except now it is unnecessary to infer anything about her sexuality.

-Like alcohol, Firestorm is the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

-I love that pretty much every other hero the Legends meet hates their guts, because to anyone outside of the group, they're all clearly idiots.

I'm a little bit into season two and boy howdy are they leaning heavily on tie-ins from the other shows this season. I will make reactionposts.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 31, 2018

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

the actual recurring villain is the group's idiocy.

Rarely has a truer statement been uttered

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rhyno posted:

Nate, Sarah and John would smoke him.
Of course they would. Swamp Thing has been known to grow giant marijuana plants as a housewarming gift in the comics. That poo poo is canon. (Hellblazer #63)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Robot Hobo posted:

Of course they would. Swamp Thing has been known to grow giant marijuana plants as a housewarming gift in the comics. That poo poo is canon. (Hellblazer #63)

I read that as Herbaliser.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The blue god hungers for battle :black101:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

actual recurring villain is the group's idiocy.

You can't drop this line and also expect me to believe you haven't been through season 2

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Dumbledore once said the smartest people make the biggest mistakes. Wally being an engineering genius explains why he fits in so well with them, he's smart enough to be as stupid as them.

Rory is the voice of reason.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

This is factual. Einstein called it out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blaise330 posted:

Dumbledore once said the smartest people make the biggest mistakes.

I can confirm that. So focused on the high concepts they trip over their untied shoelaces.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Blaise330 posted:

Dumbledore once said the smartest people make the biggest mistakes. Wally being an engineering genius explains why he fits in so well with them, he's smart enough to be as stupid as them.

I loved his fairly insightful conversation with Snart in season 2: "You become a better man..." "You mean a weaker man." "No... better."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Are we culturally at a place where we just gloss over "Dumbledore once said..."?

I'm not making a thing of it. I just want to know if that's something I'm supposed to have already gotten used to and somehow missed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No, we as a global society need to fight the scourge of Harry Potter.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Are we culturally at a place where we just gloss over "Dumbledore once said..."?

I'm not making a thing of it. I just want to know if that's something I'm supposed to have already gotten used to and somehow missed.

This is actually very valid and if is in fact true, I have also entirely missed it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's a line that wouldn't be out of place at all spoken on this amazing dumb show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Argue posted:

It's a line that wouldn't be out of place at all spoken on this amazing dumb show.

I tried to picture in my head who would possibly say a line like that and already I can hear Nate, Ray, Wally (:rip:), and even Mick saying it at the very least.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

nine-gear crow posted:

I tried to picture in my head who would possibly say a line like that and already I can hear Nate, Ray, Wally (:rip:), and even Mick saying it at the very least.

We all know it's a Gary line.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd love if in the next season one of the villains is a lich with multiple Phylacteries and only Mick and Constantine realise what's happening because Mick watched the Harry Potter movies some time off screen and Gary showed Constantine the book series. This exchange results:

Mick, after breaking the phylactery fails: "Oh my God, he's Voldemorting..."
Constantine: "The cheeky bastard..."

Then they have to explain it to everyone else. Except Ray who has taken "Which House are You" online quizzes countless times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They have to protect a young JK Rowling, because as Constantine explains, somehow, inexplicably, she got the intricacies of magic exactly right and now something wants her dead.