Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

And The Surge too :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
New episode coming later today, but for now, enjoy this:

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/1001467581398765570

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's time to finally get down to Byrgen-business and unleash terrible horrors on the world in our quest to stop terrible horrors from being unleashed on the world! Wait, what?

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
It just wouldn't be a From Software game without a Berserk reference.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The cutscene where the blood moon hangs low is one of my favourite in the whole series.

Close enough to touch, almost.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm gonna have to Well Actually you here and say that the spider friends in Byrgenwerth are called Gardens of Eyes, not Mi-Go Zombies. The most Mi-Go looking creatures are probably the Giant Lost Children in the Nightmare Frontier.

The centipede things are called Flourescent Flowers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I found both names while looking up what they were called and just defaulted to the one I saw the most. I wonder if the name is just a fan sticking point similar to how the Winter Lanterns used to be called 'Brain Trusts' among the community and people still call it that for some reason. All three Bloodborne wikis refer to the creature as a reference to the Lovecraft Mi-Go (which looks like this) so I have to wonder where that nickname actually came from and why it's still used considering it's apparently not the official name.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 29, 2018

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's entirely possible that I'm wrong, too. I'm going off the Fextralife wiki.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'd be interested to see what the Future Press guide calls them (since that's the official one, heavily worked on by one EpicNameBro). I'd assume Garden of Eyes is their real name considering straight-up calling them a Lovecraft thing is a little on the nose.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

This gamefaq (spoilers obviously) https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/805577-bloodborne/faqs/71777/enemies says the names within are from the Future Press guide so yeah, Garden of Eyes.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The fairly unpleasant idea of immortality even when "pasted" always gives me the heebie-jeebies. It mainly makes me think of a Clive Barker story I read once, but I think some of Anne Rice's vampire novels had that kind of thing too.

I'm mostly familiar with mi-gos from Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Even in an ASCII/tile-based game, they managed to make them kind of creepy. (Mainly due to the way they perfectly mimic sounds they've heard; including voices.)

Gorilla Salad posted:

The cutscene where the blood moon hangs low is one of my favourite in the whole series.

Close enough to touch, almost.

Yeah I like that one. There's another one coming up at some point that I like even more, though. Can't remember the exact context, but it was pretty creepy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the description of the queenly flesh itself:

quote:

What remains of Annalise, blood queen of Cainhurst.

This pinkish lump of flesh remains warm, as if cursed.
All hail the undying queen of blood!

All hail the undying queen of blood! :haw:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alfred hasn't just defeated her, he has humiliated her by crushing her into a pulp.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He had to mash L2 a whole bunch of times to get the wheel spinning that fast I'm sure!

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
I'm imagining some hunter faction or another coming up with a weapon that's basically a stick attached to a blender the size of a church bell that you try to push your enemies into.

It transforms into a saw with a flick of the wrist for some reason.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What, do you mean the Whirligig Saw?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

There's a lot of fan art of Yurie by the way. She's very popular among JP artists on pixiv

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What, do you mean the Whirligig Saw?

Well maybe with a big container around it. Gotta keep your Royal Gazpacho from splattering all over the place, it's disgraceful.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CJacobs posted:

There's a lot of fan art of Yurie by the way. She's very popular among JP artists on pixiv

She cute with a good name, also probably one of the most sane people around when you think about it.

She's actively protecting one of the things that is kind of helping Yharnam not be an awful shithole.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe not, considering what she's wearing. But we won't find out why that is for a long time so I'll just leave that little thing there for now.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CJacobs posted:

I loathe her. Mostly because I was stupid enough to try to fight her inside the house every time.
Also that spell, ugh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DeafNote posted:

I loathe her. Mostly because I was stupid enough to try to fight her inside the house every time.
Also that spell, ugh.

dehumanize urself and face to a call beyond

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't know what made me :stonk: more- the gross centipede thing, or the fact that when you took a look at the moon above Byrgenwerth, it was in front of the clouds.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know what made me :stonk: more- the gross centipede thing, or the fact that when you took a look at the moon above Byrgenwerth, it was in front of the clouds.

Friend both of these things are perfectly normal, nothing weird or mad involved.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There is absolutely no weird space poo poo happening in this game.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Now that we've all seen the Bloodmoon, I'd like to remind everyone...

"The red moon hangs low, and the beasts rule the streets. Are we left no other choice, than burn it all to cinders?"

...what's happening now has apparently happened before, and fairly recently.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

thetruegentleman posted:

...what's happening now has apparently happened before, and fairly recently.
Yes, probably. The Scourge of Beasts is why there are Hunters in the first place. It makes sense that it breaks out, the Hunters kill all the afflicted, but that it eventually relapses. This last time appears to be particularly intense, though.

The note you're referencing is in Old Yharnam, and was probably written by Djura. We can reasonably assume that Djura was a Hunter of the Dream, because he talks about having been part of that cycle, both when you meet him after killing Paarl ("I no longer dream. But I was once a Hunter like you.") and if you attack him afterwards ("You still dream I should think? Then come as often as you like, I'll show you another death.") He was part of the Powder Kegs, who burned Old Yharnam to the ground, but he later became remorseful and changed his mind. We don't know why he no longer dreams yet, but maybe one day we will.

I'm taking "The red moon hangs low" symbolically. I don't think Djura killed Rom when he was a Hunter, because things would have been worse in Yharnam if he had. There's a lore note in Byrgenwerth that CJacobs missed, that says: "When the red moon hangs low, the line between man and beast is blurred", which must refer to the Scourge having happened before. FromSoft really loves cycles, after all.

Maybe the red moon is a From Beyond kinda thing. It's always been there, we just couldn't see it, because Rom was in the way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I'm taking "The red moon hangs low" symbolically. I don't think Djura killed Rom when he was a Hunter, because things would have been worse in Yharnam if he had. There's a lore note in Byrgenwerth that CJacobs missed, that says: "When the red moon hangs low, the line between man and beast is blurred", which must refer to the Scourge having happened before. FromSoft really loves cycles, after all.

I read that one and talked about it immediately after :confused:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Rom itself is also a fairly recent thing: I won't cover it at length because it covers future events, but it was apparently made to stop/hide one very specific thing. More importantly, various scholars in Bloodborn know about the effects of the red moon, and if we take that along with the Old Yharnam note, it's reasonable to conclude that they were being very literal about the blood moon: it appeared over Old Yharnam, and everyone there either went mad or transformed as a result. There's more to support that later in the game, so we'll have to wait.

The difference from then and now is that Old Yharnam was an accident brought on by blood use: the new blood moon appears to be very much deliberate, which makes it all the more horrifying.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Sorry if this kills the topic or has been mentioned before and I have missed it but I have a question about a part right at the start of the game. After you receive the transfusion and look over to see the werewolf rising from the blood, why does it burst into flames when it reaches for you? I have seen and read some on Bloodborne but still don't have an answer.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nobody knows really

some people think its symbolic hallucinations or something

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think the game ever answers that. What I assumed was that there is an incense lamp near the bed that burns up the beast when it comes into the light, which you can see it does just before it sets on fire... but there isn't one when we actually wake up ingame. The going theories are that it's some protection spell by the messengers who've decided to save you now that you're a hunter, or that it's the same werewolf as the one you fight once you wake up and get your weapons (it's already missing a third of its health or so when you find it).

edit: It could also be a hallucination since it just climbs out of a pool of blood on the floor and all.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's a symbolic dream, the blood werewolf is the beast plague and it bursts into flames because you are picked by the Hunter's Dream and the Messengers to be the Hunter for this terrible night. Which presumably stops you from becoming a beast until your duty is done. Note that Eileen and Djura, who appear to have Dreamed in the past based on dialogue, also are still human not beast. I've always assumed the werewolf missing half it's health is actually the old man who gave you the blood transfusion, who was probably half-dead given his age and that he's in a wheel-chair.

Oh also the Blood Moon showing up in Old Yharnam was probably deliberate too imo.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 1, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the intro, I enjoy that the Doll's line "Ahh, you've found yourself a Hunter..." can be taken to be directed at two different entities: The messengers, or you.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
funny, when i was watching the intro i took it in a completely different way, that she was talking to old doctor who gives you the transfusion. but then again it took me a couple of videos to even connect that the weird little creatures in the intro were messengers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It could also be that! It's a nice little line. I also like that the intro begins with the blood minister responding to something we said, implying that we specifically asked about paleblood and also that we know nothing about Yharnam. It's a good little subliminal way to introduce the player to the world and put them in the character's shoes from moment one.

And speaking of paleblood, don't you worry, I'm gonna give you an explanation for what all that junk means sooner than you might think if you've played the game. ;)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Did the PC write the note about seeking Paleblood to transcend the Hunt?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dunno why they would, considering they don't know anything about it coming into Yharnam. To spoil a little bit of the upcoming bonus feature: The player character has confused this mysterious 'paleblood' for Yharnam's healing blood and the minister does not help with this mistake. Gilbert is the first one to correct us, referring to 'paleblood' and the healing blood as different entities (he says he doesn't know what paleblood is, but refers to the Church's healing blood keeping him alive after he came down with the sickness).

The subject of who wrote that drat note is much-debated and there's no conclusive answer in the game itself but I assume we can't have written it because we didn't know what the hunt was until after we signed the contract and became a hunter. And we were a little bit unconscious on a hospital bed during that process!

edit: Apparently, according to the JP version of the game, the note claims to have been hastily scribbled by you. But that doesn't make any sense so I'm not sure why it would say that. I can't find an actual screenshot of this, only hearsay from folks online, so it may not be true? No reason to doubt it but still, proof would've been nice.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 1, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Dunno why they would, considering they don't know anything about it coming into Yharnam. To spoil a little bit of the upcoming bonus feature: The player character has confused this mysterious 'paleblood' for Yharnam's healing blood and the minister does not help with this mistake. Gilbert is the first one to correct us, referring to 'paleblood' and the healing blood as different entities (he says he doesn't know what paleblood is, but refers to the Church's healing blood keeping him alive after he came down with the sickness).

The subject of who wrote that drat note is much-debated and there's no conclusive answer in the game itself but I assume we can't have written it because we didn't know what the hunt was until after we signed the contract and became a hunter. And we were a little bit unconscious on a hospital bed during that process!

edit: Apparently, according to the JP version of the game, the note claims to have been hastily scribbled by you. But that doesn't make any sense so I'm not sure why it would say that. I can't find an actual screenshot of this, only hearsay from folks online, so it may not be true? No reason to doubt it but still, proof would've been nice.

Well we haven't had any sleepwalking yet, maybe you wrote it in a dreaming fever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

It's "hastily scrawled", so maybe the PC wrote it before the Old Blood-related memory loss set in?

How did the PC get to Yharnam in the first place? It's all closed off and locked tight, and Yharnamites don't care much for outsiders.