Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

whatever7 posted:

Have you question the nature of you Fire Emblem playthrough?

I just want to highlight, while wading through all the bullshit train discussion of the past 3-4 pages, this genuinely made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know how it slipped my mind. I just remembered that the only time someone can legally hand you a gun with one bullet is when they are locking you onto a train that is being slammed into a futuristic administration building.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean he handed him a mercy bullet and locked him into the car. Whether it was going to be an explosion or not it was obvs the tech had a painful death ahead of him.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

esperterra posted:

I mean he handed him a mercy bullet and locked him into the car. Whether it was going to be an explosion or not it was obvs the tech had a painful death ahead of him.

Entropic posted:

How are goons so bad at watching tv?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

bring back old gbs posted:

The pistol thing was so insanely painfully obvious why would you even post that you misunderstood it christ that is emberassing:psyduck: whyyyyyyyyyyy

You don't necessarily die the second the train crashes, maybe you get steam shot all over you first, or you survive the initial crash somehow and slowly burn to death. So you're given a pistol with a single bullet to make your death a quick, sure thing. But you're definitely going to be in a train crash because someone gave you a suicide method and then pulled the pin connecting two cars and it is so god drat obvious if you are paying any attention at all. :psyduck: jfc this thread

Also, lol that people thought it was so he "wouldn't starve." 1. He isn't far from the mesa. 2. He probably knows where exit elevators are. 3. He was only given ONE bullet. 4. What is he going to shoot and eat? Are the robot animals edible? 5. Teddy said "better use it fast."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjYe6p8lCce

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 30, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Goons are really bad at understanding the concept of knowledge, what it means to know things, how to use their senses and interpret the data they collect with them, how to form coherent ideas and articulate them clearly as part of a productive discussion, how time works, which direction time flows, flows time direction which, and sports

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Season 2 will end with a reveal that ALL of Season 1 and 2 was actually a simulation inside The Cradle. Ford wanted to run a beta test of the rebellion, which will now happen for real in Season 3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Also, lol that people thought it was so he "wouldn't starve." 1. He isn't far from the mesa. 2. He probably knows where exit elevators are. 3. He was only given ONE bullet. 4. What is he going to shoot and eat? Are the robot animals edible? 5. Teddy said "better use it fast."

Did you cheat off the person next to you when you "figured out" the guy was on the part of the train connected to the engine? Because there's no way you were able to figure that out and also think that saying Teddy handed the guy a gun with one bullet so he won't starve to death means the guy is going to use that one bullet to shoot an animal and eat it. The bullet was clearly meant for a suicide.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rad Russian posted:

Season 2 will end with a reveal that ALL of Season 1 and 2 was actually a simulation inside The Cradle. Ford wanted to run a beta test of the rebellion, which will now happen for real in Season 3.

"Hmm, maybe I should roll back the latest firmware update on the robots."

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Did you cheat off the person next to you when you "figured out" the guy was on the part of the train connected to the engine? Because there's no way you were able to figure that out and also think that saying Teddy handed the guy a gun with one bullet so he won't starve to death means the guy is going to use that one bullet to shoot an animal and eat it. The bullet was clearly meant for a suicide.

I didn't think that? I was listing reasons why the gun was clearly for suicide.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just finished this episode and then read the last 10 or whatever pages. I was also confused by the train part. I thought Dolores and friends were planning to ride the train into the Mesa on a mission to try to rescue her dad, not use the train to blow poo poo up. So yeah, I thought the tech was being locked in and let go.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I liked that Teddy isn't even using his own bullets and just gives the tech the lovely one he found on the ground that morning.

I was really hoping the tech would just gently caress up everyone's plans by shooting the explosives before reaching the tunnel, but I guess 20 seconds wasn't enough time since he was too busy not paying attention to anything else happening on the train.

pzy posted:

The railroad spike nail gun was hilarious

Why did they even have that thing
Like what were they doing with it

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I’m really wondering at this point why Charlotte doesn’t just cut Abernathy’s dome open and take out the brain hard drive already. If the original plan was to sneak him out as a “guest” while the park was still running, well you don’t have to worry about that anymore. Everything is hosed. He managed to slip away once before, don’t take any risks. But yeah it’s TV and bad people are dumb so let’s use the incredibly cruel crucifying machine that we just had handy instead.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I’m really wondering at this point why Charlotte doesn’t just cut Abernathy’s dome open and take out the brain hard drive already. If the original plan was to sneak him out as a “guest” while the park was still running, well you don’t have to worry about that anymore. Everything is hosed. He managed to slip away once before, don’t take any risks. But yeah it’s TV and bad people are dumb so let’s use the incredibly cruel crucifying machine that we just had handy instead.

The thing that ticked me the most off about this whole plot is when they do manage to grab Abernathy and get him into the car/ATV thing, the driver asks Charlotte "What's so special about this one?" instead of just hitting the gas and it gives the hosts time to kill like 2 more redshirts.

Dude, just floor it, we'll have time for 20 questions after we're out of loving gunfire range.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Can someone explain how they could film that scene better to help goons grasp the concept of direction? There are tons of establishing shots, script lines, background movements ect that show you which way the train is moving. Like jfc how do you tell the direction your car is moving when you're in it?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

WampaLord posted:

The thing that ticked me the most off about this whole plot is when they do manage to grab Abernathy and get him into the car/ATV thing, the driver asks Charlotte "What's so special about this one?" instead of just hitting the gas and it gives the hosts time to kill like 2 more redshirts.

Dude, just floor it, we'll have time for 20 questions after we're out of loving gunfire range.

and the ones standing there get shot even though they were facing the gate that delores comes out from

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

My only problem with the train scene is that it seems like a huge gamble, wouldn't massive damage to the mesa potentially gently caress with the server running everything?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So, by what means is the cradle populating Virtual Westworld? Is Delores' father Abernathy or the replacement bartender? By same token who is the madame?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Its especially stupid because the entire reason for getting this stuff out (at least what they revealed in the show) is because they wanted to have insurance against Ford. When they fired Ford, they were worried that he might delete everything. He's dead now (so they think), so why are they still cloak and dagger about it? Delos management won't send rescue unless they have the data, they have the data so just extract the brain and grab one of those brain interface tablets. Put it in a bag, throw it on a helicopter and do the rest of the QA search and rescue.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mustard_tiger posted:

Can someone explain how they could film that scene better to help goons grasp the concept of direction? There are tons of establishing shots, script lines, background movements ect that show you which way the train is moving. Like jfc how do you tell the direction your car is moving when you're in it?

Pull out a bit more so you can see which car is rolling on its own and which is still hitched to the locomotive.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What is even going on in this show? Didn't the Delos mercenaries find Teddy dead, swimming in the lake? How is he running trains into Delos occupied Mesa?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

What is even going on in this show? Didn't the Delos mercenaries find Teddy dead, swimming in the lake? How is he running trains into Delos occupied Mesa?

Gas thread close forum

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Cojawfee posted:

Its especially stupid because the entire reason for getting this stuff out (at least what they revealed in the show) is because they wanted to have insurance against Ford. When they fired Ford, they were worried that he might delete everything. He's dead now (so they think), so why are they still cloak and dagger about it? Delos management won't send rescue unless they have the data, they have the data so just extract the brain and grab one of those brain interface tablets. Put it in a bag, throw it on a helicopter and do the rest of the QA search and rescue.

My theory is the data contains Delos' brain, and more people than just those in the park want it. They have to secure it secretly so nobody knows they have it.

Except Bernard and Elsie know what they're up to now.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Dr. Abysmal posted:

He managed to slip away once before, don’t take any risks. But yeah it’s TV and bad people are dumb so let’s use the incredibly cruel crucifying machine that we just had handy instead.

The annoying thing is we've already seen in the "present" timeframe that he's missing again, so somehow he's going to get free and it wont be a surprise or a twist because they told us weeks ago.

mustard_tiger posted:

It's weird how much confusion there is over this since I feel like American viewers must have seen a cowboy movie/show that included robbing a train or surviving a runaway train; it played out exactly the same way. Even with not really paying attention, knowledge of Western tropes should have filled in all of the gaps.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What was the point of trying to blow up the Mesa when all that is did was jostle the server room.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

davecrazy posted:

What was the point of trying to blow up the Mesa when all that is did was jostle the server room.

:psypop:

I can't tell where the stupidity ends and the trolling begins anymore.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Why is Westworld?

When is Westworld?

*drinks turpentine*

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I'm betting that gun and bullet are gonna pay off big in the season finale. Maybe used to shoot Ford again now that he's back alive?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

how do you lose a swordfight from this position

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

mustard_tiger posted:

they could try actually explaining where the train is going / the whole plot to blow up the compound, we have no frame of reference what is "towards the mesa" or where anything is in the park

they wanted it to be a surprise I guess but lol bad editing

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

oh yeah and why the gently caress did they want it to be a surprise anyway? just loving tell us so there's some tension, they could be out for a nice scenic train ride to view the countryside for all we know

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still don't understand why I was a moron for not getting that their plan was to blow up the Mesa, not stage a commando raid, but it's probably got something to do with me watching the 4 episodes before this most recent one completely drunk off my rear end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still don't understand why I was a moron for not getting that their plan was to blow up the Mesa, not stage a commando raid, but it's probably got something to do with me watching the 4 episodes before this most recent one completely drunk off my rear end.

I don't think the plan was to actually blow up the mesa. They probably wanted to blow their way past whatever kind of barrier would normally be up when a train isn't going out to Sweetwater.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I imagine she was just making herself an entrance.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

mossyfisk posted:

how do you lose a swordfight from this position

I see that and raise you

It was still a much better fight than QA walking slowly toward the fort, and they're actually robots not expert swordfighters.

There hasn't been a good holywood swordfight in 80 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB8tiSMCwRE

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

JaySB posted:

:psypop:

I can't tell where the stupidity ends and the trolling begins anymore.

Would you say that you are :lost: ?

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Choo choo

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cirofren posted:

I see that and raise you

It was still a much better fight than QA walking slowly toward the fort, and they're actually robots not expert swordfighters.

There hasn't been a good holywood swordfight in 80 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB8tiSMCwRE

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hell I'll give you something more recent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woS7cKQ20Xs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Entropic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkkF6Zz67TE

Seriously, how goddamn great was Toshiro Mifune?
I don't care about this dumb train derail but Sanjuro is such a fuckin' good movie.