Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
That's a rough Atomos fight but once you can get off the ground in W2 you can get Swift Song, which means if you're patient enough you can beat anything. Come in with the White dead, set the Thief and Bard singing, then knock them out of it when you're fast enough and start hacking away. The Thief can have a Double Lance from the statues in the basement so he'd be your main damage, and either the Bard or the Geomancer can have the Dancing Dagger, that would probably work better than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

No full party should ever have trouble with Atomos unless you managed to roll four White Mages. It takes a while for him to suck in anyone, and you can always revive a character right before she's removed from the battlefield to gain more time.

Nasgate posted:

Soul cannon would indeed be rather unfun.

Nah, Bard trivialises Soul Cannon. Romeo's Ballad for the Launchers, !Hide for the main cannon.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 26, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not saying it'd be hard, but doing it with such low damage output would be awfully tedious.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

No full party should ever have trouble with Atomos unless you managed to roll four White Mages. It takes a while for him to suck in anyone, and you can always revive a character right before she's removed from the battlefield to gain more time.

Nah, Bard trivialises Soul Cannon. Romeo's Ballad for the Launchers, !Hide for the main cannon.

The launchers are Heavy, and you don't exactly have many options to raise your speed to lock them down consistently.

I mean, you'll kill him eventually with your withered, aged party, but I hesitate to say it's trivial.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Well, the scenario being imagined had White Mage, so you'd be able to get Esuna/Heal out of Lix to minimize the loss due to aging.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

OK, so this year my goal is to gun for a party with ninja and geomancer in it so I can test out The Silliest Omega Kill, but I wasn't sure whether I was better off going chaos or pure chaos to achieve this. I mathed it out and as it happens, the lack of dupes in pure chaos doesn't quite outweigh the two extra jobs in the pool. Unless you specifically want freelancer/mime, chaos is always slightly better than pure chaos for getting you any given pair of jobs. Then, because I'm a huge math nerd and apparently I have way too much time on my hands, I ran the calculations for all the jobs in just about every mode that I could, and this was the result:

Fiesta Job Combo Probability Tool

It's not very pretty right now, but it should be fully functional. Feel free to let me know if you spot any issues.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

OK, so this year my goal is to gun for a party with ninja and geomancer in it so I can test out The Silliest Omega Kill, but I wasn't sure whether I was better off going chaos or pure chaos to achieve this. I mathed it out and as it happens, the lack of dupes in pure chaos doesn't quite outweigh the two extra jobs in the pool. Unless you specifically want freelancer/mime, chaos is always slightly better than pure chaos for getting you any given pair of jobs. Then, because I'm a huge math nerd and apparently I have way too much time on my hands, I ran the calculations for all the jobs in just about every mode that I could, and this was the result:

Fiesta Job Combo Probability Tool

It's not very pretty right now, but it should be fully functional. Feel free to let me know if you spot any issues.

What is the Silliest Omega Kill?

I had to do him with Ninja / Samurai / Samurai / Samurai last year : (

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Imagine doing it with four Thieves. :v:

derra posted:

The launchers are Heavy, and you don't exactly have many options to raise your speed to lock them down consistently.

I mean, you'll kill him eventually with your withered, aged party, but I hesitate to say it's trivial.

Fair point, I forgot they were Heavy. White Mage should take care of that though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

derra posted:

What is the Silliest Omega Kill?

I had to do him with Ninja / Samurai / Samurai / Samurai last year : (

Due to a perfect storm of weird interactions, I'm pretty sure a geomancer (or ninja) dual wielding rune chime and some other bell can always hit and damage Omega without incurring any counters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There’s some thing with Dual-Wielding where if the second attack does 0 damage, Omega ignores its counters.

I’m kinda curious if that extends to other bosses, where you can bypass counters (or possibly even form changes, like say, Archy) with a Ninja by doing 0 damage with your second attack.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Well, guess what I just found out I can do on the iOS version!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's loving amazing.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Clearly the best version

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

*crawls up from under the floorboards of the 2017 Fiesta thread*

Try the extra spicy randomizer, which I quickly cooked up for last year's Fiesta! Drag a GBA ROM onto the randomizer.exe program to get two randomized roms; a Mild randomized ROM and an Extra Spicy randomized ROM.

I generated the new ROMs and put the extra spicy one in a zip file, but trying to run that ROM just gives me a blank white screen. And trying to run the ROM file directly (outside of a zip file) just gives a crash.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? I'm using 64-bit VBA-m on Win 10 for emulation, in case that matters.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
You might be running an EU ROM, are you sure it's the right region? And to clarify, the ROM is unzipped (.gba extension) when you run it through the randomizer, right?

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 30, 2018

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

You might be running an EU ROM, are you sure it's the right region? And to clarify, the ROM is unzipped (.gba extension) when you run it through the randomizer, right?

That was it. Pulling the gba file out and applying the randomizer to it directly worked. Thanks!

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Sullla's site address has changed and this link is no longer valid. The site is now at: http://www.sullla.com/

The FF stuff is at: http://www.sullla.com/FF/finalfantasy.html

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Yo Kyro you forgot this for the OP:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Per asking eLmaGus on his stream just now, the runners for this year's The Run will be:

eLmaGus/jenja23/Yagamoth/:siren: the one and only DRAGONDARCH :siren:

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Per asking eLmaGus on his stream just now, the runners for this year's The Run will be:

If there was ever a reason to be :siren: HYPE :siren: for FF5FJF it's another DD run.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Sakako posted:

If there was ever a reason to be :siren: HYPE :siren: for FF5FJF it's another DD run.

but the question is, will he go 24 hours without sleep before the race again?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Why use math when I can use more different math!

(Alt Title: Dude, Where's My Dragon Fang?)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Huzzah! posted:

but the question is, will he go 24 hours without sleep before the race again?

I will be impressed if he can top his last run of running some convoluted scheme to set up "Death By Math But Different" only to wipe to a Moldwynd in the Wind Shrine and be forced to restart the entire game because he forgot to save.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

I will be impressed if he can top his last run of running some convoluted scheme to set up "Death By Math But Different" only to wipe to a Moldwynd in the Wind Shrine and be forced to restart the entire game because he forgot to save.

He's looking for a better strategy. He's even staring at the open chest!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
half of me wants Darch to actually figure out something cool and win, but then the other half remembers that he turns into a big pissbaby when his dumb strategies don't work

this has been my state of mind around May 30 of the past four years

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

He's looking for a better strategy. He's even staring at the open chest!
I know that's one of his dumb quips but I forget the context. Aegis/Flame Shield or something else?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I thought he got blacklisted last year. Am I misremembering, or was that just not real?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

I know that's one of his dumb quips but I forget the context. Aegis/Flame Shield or something else?

That one is referring to opening a chest with a Dragon Fang, then hulking out because he didn't notice, and assumed it wasn't there at all. This is because he didn't sleep for 24 hours beforehand.

He once had to let the Aegis Shield burn, to get the Flame Shield, for reasons.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

I thought he got blacklisted last year. Am I misremembering, or was that just not real?

Why would they blacklist him? There's no law against entertaining but needlessly complex and inefficient strategies.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Nah, he took last year off due to personal stuff. Honestly glad he's back to run this year, and only 50% because of schadenfreude.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Never forget:

W.T. Fits posted:

Okay, for those who haven't been following the streams, I have to put this down to preserve it for prosperity because holy loving poo poo this is terrible.

Dragondarch's team is Monk, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Dancer. Here's his foolproof strategy for dealing with the Seal Guardians in Moore Forest.
  1. After getting the wind drake from Bal Castle, go to Kuza and grind to level 32.
  2. Proceed with the game until the Barrier Tower. Grind there for Reflect Rings.
  3. Go to Drakenvale and get a Poison Eagle to cast Float on everyone.
  4. Go to the Gil Cave to grind out 370,000 Gil to buy Hermes Sandals with in World 3.
  5. Let the Aegis Shield be transformed into the Flame Shield.
  6. Make Bartz a Mystic Knight and weaken him to critical HP.
  7. Give Bartz the Flame Shield, give everyone else Reflect Rings.
  8. Reset the game because Bartz got one-shotted immediately in the Seal Guardian fight.
  9. Kill the Water, Earth and Wind Crystals.
  10. Kill off everyone except Bartz.
  11. Use !Focus + Drain Sword to kill the Fire Crystal.
SIMPLE! :pseudo:

:allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He once had to let the Aegis Shield burn, to get the Flame Shield, for reasons.

W.T. Fits posted:

Okay, for those who haven't been following the streams, I have to put this down to preserve it for prosperity because holy loving poo poo this is terrible.

Dragondarch's team is Monk, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Dancer. Here's his foolproof strategy for dealing with the Seal Guardians in Moore Forest.
  1. After getting the wind drake from Bal Castle, go to Kuza and grind to level 32.
  2. Proceed with the game until the Barrier Tower. Grind there for Reflect Rings.
  3. Go to Drakenvale and get a Poison Eagle to cast Float on everyone.
  4. Go to the Gil Cave to grind out 370,000 Gil to buy Hermes Sandals with in World 3.
  5. Let the Aegis Shield be transformed into the Flame Shield.
  6. Make Bartz a Mystic Knight and weaken him to critical HP.
  7. Give Bartz the Flame Shield, give everyone else Reflect Rings.
  8. Reset the game because Bartz got one-shotted immediately in the Seal Guardian fight.
  9. Kill the Water, Earth and Wind Crystals.
  10. Kill off everyone except Bartz.
  11. Use !Focus + Drain Sword to kill the Fire Crystal.
SIMPLE! :pseudo:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why would they blacklist him? There's no law against entertaining but needlessly complex and inefficient strategies.

Running theory was that it was him being a sore sport that would've got him blacklisted, but the thing is, he's chummy with RK and honestly he's not that bad as long as you're not trying to correct him on things he thinks he knows better than you.

He's just really prone to Dunning-Kruger hubris and really questionable life choices like running a marathon FJF race on 72 hours awake.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:neckbeard: One of my favorite events of the year! I'm surprised I missed the topic until now because I've been checking for it. To prepare I've almost beaten Bravely Default on Hard mode which I started sometime last year after the Fiesta and put off for awhile. Fun game, although I did turn out disappointed in the Blue Mage analog. So glad to see this still kicking, maybe this year I'll fill in my job card!

:siren:Oh, there's a newish glitch for FFV GBA to dupe items if you're into glitching and have a Beastmaster. Unfortunately the wiki that had all those bugs and stuff has been down for awhile so you'll have to make due with this video.

Can Of Worms posted:

*crawls up from under the floorboards of the 2017 Fiesta thread*

Try the extra spicy randomizer, which I quickly cooked up for last year's Fiesta! Drag a GBA ROM onto the randomizer.exe program to get two randomized roms; a Mild randomized ROM and an Extra Spicy randomized ROM. The Mild randomization shuffles each job's skill tree and base skill so you can theoretically get a White Mage with !Rapid Fire, or a Beastmaster with !Call. The Extra Spicy randomization is... a bit more intense. Not only does it randomize skill trees and base skills, it randomizes them per character. You might end up with a Bartz Knight with !Flirt who learns !Chakra, while a Lenna Knight could have !Calm and learn !Summon 5. Spoiler files are provided by the program to help deal with this insanity. Source code here.

Here's an example of an extra spicy ROM I used for playtesting (party of Knight, Samurai, Berserker, Bard.)
Just a heads up, I'll probably slightly expand my small Randomizer pledge from last year unless I get hit with some expenses coming up. I'm thinking I'll only allow it if you've beaten a real run first however! Also, I have not forgotten about my tiny :toxx: from last year but I'll get to it around preregistration. I'll post more later!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Doom Goon posted:

:siren:Oh, there's a newish glitch for FFV GBA to dupe items if you're into glitching and have a Beastmaster. Unfortunately the wiki that had all those bugs and stuff has been down for awhile so you'll have to make due with this video.

This is great. Really opens up some job combinations to be slightly less useless if they can all use the Chicken Knife. Granted, you already have Beastmaster so it's more of a time saver.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I am in the camp of wanting DD to do very stupid things. I want no sleep runs, with extra spicy wipe timing.

I want to let the aegis shield burn, and run the numbers for focus.

....I have a problem, don't I?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
It doesn't seem to dupe items, but instead generates them by creature type? Some good items on the list but can't dupe Chicken Knives for instance.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So since I actually have a decent paying job this year, my usual "10 cent per speed trap victim" pledge is A) not going to have an upper limit, and B) is also going to include "1 cent per snapped rod", so if you wanna see me donate a bunch of money at the end of the Fiesta, make sure you report these in Discord. :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

So since I actually have a decent paying job this year, my usual "10 cent per speed trap victim" pledge is A) not going to have an upper limit, and B) is also going to include "1 cent per snapped rod", so if you wanna see me donate a bunch of money at the end of the Fiesta, make sure you report these in Discord. :v:

We discussed it in the Discord and I'll let the thread know too; whatever Kyro donates for this, I'm going to match. Snap some rods, run the ruins on Fast Forward only!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I will donate $1 for every completed quadzerker run, up to $20.