Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

I prefer chronological order by release, personally. I made a spreadsheet by just going to the wikipedia page with all the releases and CTRL-F-ing for, say "September, 2016," but mine is hopelessly out of date these days.

I did try to do one that did things by chronological order (according to the Doctor's perspective), but it gets really complicated with most of the Big Finish Doctors, and I just wasn't interested enough. I think Eight is the easiest, though, and given that he's mostly a Big Finish Doctor, that would probably be worth it.

Big Finish has a limited version of that on there site: https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/monthly-series

The find and filter on the side. But if you're in the main range page, it only covers that. If you go into each specific Doctor, you can filter those too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Which set should I grab from Big Finish while I have an extra $20? UNIT: Cyber-Reality, or The Worlds of Doctor Who?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Haven't listened to UNIT yet, but Worlds is merely ok.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Since I don't think Season 26 has any Tardis interior scenes I'm just going to assume that's what they're flying around in from now on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CLASS is back in action at BF:

https://twitter.com/BadWilf/status/1001124007117316096

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Back by popular demand contractual possibility

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Astroman posted:

I remain surprised Moffat left that thread hanging.

When has Moffat ever not left a thread hanging?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

THIS YEAR, ON DOCTOR WHO, EVERY EPISODE* ENDS WITH A CRYPTIC RHYME ABOUT A DANGLING THREAD, LEADING UP TO THE SHOCKING CONCLUSION WHERE IT'S ALL, I DON'T KNOW, THE TERELEPTILS' FAULT OR SOMETHING.

__
*All three of them

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

In that case, it was a good call. We really don't *need* to see Capaldi go back for that cameo during the Time War, it's okay to just know it happened at some point. He showed a remarkable amount of restraint which is honestly unlike him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In that case, it was a good call. We really don't *need* to see Capaldi go back for that cameo during the Time War, it's okay to just know it happened at some point. He showed a remarkable amount of restraint which is honestly unlike him.

Yeah, I don't think it's important to see, or to know when, I just like speculating on the question of when exactly it might've happened on his personal timeline.

My girlfriend suggested that it might've happened before The Magician's Apprentice, on the basis that he's clearly gone through some poo poo between Last Christmas and then, but we never learn exactly what.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Since I don't think Season 26 has any Tardis interior scenes I'm just going to assume that's what they're flying around in from now on.

Battlefield has one, but it's done in front of a terrible-looking curtain because they either lost or damaged the TARDIS set. An excellent warning sign for what's about to come.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Trin Tragula posted:

Battlefield has one, but it's done in front of a terrible-looking curtain because they either lost or damaged the TARDIS set. An excellent warning sign for what's about to come.

Darker themed stories, where the status quo is changed!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You and your freaky friends~!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Three episodes into Mawdryn Undead and it's both better and more mental than I remember from back in the day. It may be my favorite Five story this side of Androzani.

Turlough is the world's least convincing teenage boy, though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

I really can't believe how little McCoy I actually own.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh shame.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
Dunno if it's been mentioned ITT way back in November when it was announced, but I just saw that Big Finish are releasing some Star Cops audio plays. Star Cops is an underappreciated gem and I'm kind of excited to hear about this. And it's tangentially related to DW not just because of Big Finish, but also because of Chris Boucher (who created Star Cops, script edited Blakes 7, and also wrote several classic DW stories, including the one that introduced Leela).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I finished Jago and Litefoot Forever today. I'm glad they were able to put something together as a capstone to the series, especially given the cliffhanger at the end of Series 13. Litefoot's appearance is really obviously cribbed from old dialog; like, I'm pretty sure I'd have been able to tell even if I hadn't known Baxter had passed away. But really, that doesn't matter all that much. It's a fun little send off tale with a heartwarming ending. My only compliant is that Ellie is a little shortchanged, especially given Quick gets another promotion in the course of this one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My favorite J&L moment came not from the series itself, but from one of the bonus features where they're interviewing Baxter & Benjamin:

Baxter: "I'm amazed how they find us all this wonderful young talent to work with!"
Benjamin: "Well, they'd be hard pressed to find anyone older."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In the Forever behind the scenes, David Warner laments the end of J&L because he liked working with a pair of leading actors a decade older than he was

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

In the Forever behind the scenes, David Warner laments the end of J&L because he liked working with a pair of leading actors a decade older than he was

The entire spectrum of Doctor Who actors and actresses, main series and spin-offs, seems like one big happy family, light on the dysfunction.

I like to think it's due to the lunches Big Finish provides.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I passed Terry Molloy in the hall at a convention once and I asked "are the big finish lunches as good as everyone says?" and he just went "oh GOD yes" and kept going

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

We like hearing Capaldi talk about Doctor Who yes?
https://twitter.com/nazzlepops/status/1001556243142643719

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

howe_sam posted:

We like hearing Capaldi talk about Doctor Who yes?

God yes, forever. FOREVER.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I passed Terry Molloy in the hall at a convention once and I asked "are the big finish lunches as good as everyone says?" and he just went "oh GOD yes" and kept going

I asked Colin if Nick Briggs really sounded like that in real life and he looked at me like I was daft for a second before realizing I was messing with him and giving me that 6th Doctor oh, you... look and groan and I felt like a companion for a split second. :swoon:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

God yes, forever. FOREVER.

Yes...but at the same time he'll never say anything as good as this ever again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtkWPaTs4A4&t=353s

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Trin Tragula posted:

Yes...but at the same time he'll never say anything as good as this ever again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtkWPaTs4A4&t=353s

Peter: The Chumbleys. :smug:
Everyone else: :confused:
Moff: :roflolmao:
Peter: :smug:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Capaldi's smiles and hair are what everyone should strive for

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's so endearing both that Capaldi would say that, and that Moffat would immediately burst into laughter upon hearing it. I don't like to infer behind-the-scenes relationships, but I can't help but feel that on some level Capaldi said it because he knew Moffat would get it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I'm pretty sure the cover has already been posted...but I just want to appreciate this some more

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:captainpop::chanpop::eyepop:

:vince:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm pretty sure the cover has already been posted...but I just want to appreciate this some more

I’m so excited for this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hot drat, I finished the first draft of my script! Now to check the rules before I start polishing, but first let me take a big sip of wate—

quote:

6. No established monsters can be used, nor established Doctor Who characters other than the companions

PBBBBBBBBBTBTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

MOTHERFUCKER

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
That is SUPER unfortunate since the entire story revolves around the results of a weeping angel getting loose and going rabid :sigh:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Hot drat, I finished the first draft of my script! Now to check the rules before I start polishing, but first let me take a big sip of wate—

MOTHERFUCKER

Yeeeeeeeeah, that's always been BF's rules, even back when they accepted unsolicited scripts. Licensing fees and all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

MOTHERFUCKER

Isn’t it also meant to be a short prose story rather than a script?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Davros1 posted:

Yeeeeeeeeah, that's always been BF's rules, even back when they accepted unsolicited scripts. Licensing fees and all.

Well poo poo. Looks like I’m going to have to invent something similar. Maybe a monster that can only see you when you move, like some sort of... t... Rex?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Isn’t it also meant to be a short prose story rather than a script?

MOTHERFUCKER

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Retro TV is airing the War Games for the first time. And it’s still a masterpiece. Breaking it up into two episodes per night means you can’t overdose on the escalation. The madness, and eventual realization of how hosed they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Retro TV is airing the War Games for the first time. And it’s still a masterpiece. Breaking it up into two episodes per night means you can’t overdose on the escalation. The madness, and eventual realization of how hosed they are.

Nightly Troughton chased by things? :frogon:

• Locked thread