Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
If we're having oldchat: I had an Apple IIe and my mom won a Commodore 64 with a tape drive in a drawing. I fought with my parents about my bad handwriting, saying "Look, when I grow up everything is going to be computerized and I won't have to write a drat thing." I lost the battle but won the war.

Collateral Damage posted:

iSCSI over PPPoE over WiFi.

For security reasons. :unsmigghh:
Cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My first Linux was Centos 7.3.

... but my first UNIX was SunOS 4.1.3.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
When I was young I had an Atari ST with an attached tape drive. My favourite game was some 4-bit Bruce Lee thing. This must have been in 1986 or something.

Edit: the tape drive took around 20 minutes to load a game. While it was loading you had to stare at some psychedelic flashing lights. Almost certainly would have triggered seizures in some people with hindsight.

Dravs fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 30, 2018

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Dravs posted:

When I was young I had an Atari ST with an attached tape drive. My favourite game was some 4-bit Bruce Lee thing. This must have been in 1986 or something.

Edit: the tape drive took around 20 minutes to load a game. While it was loading you had to stare at some psychedelic flashing lights. Almost certainly would have triggered seizures in some people with hindsight.

For me it was loading Zaxxon off tape on my Atari 800. I remember those days fondly, because they are long gone and the joy of waiting for a tape to load, or typing in 10 pages of hex code from Compute or Antic magazine to play a game are a thing of the past.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I can play the sounds of the Commodore 1541 drive in my head.

*grind* *grind* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *beat* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *grind* *grind*

Ahh memories.

That and the evolution of the modem connection sounds as speeds and modulation changed.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Dravs posted:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

The original :getout:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I work for a fairly large university, supporting a few hundred windows PCs. We're getting more and more Macs to support, which is a pain in the rear end that I can't do anything about. I've been told that, although our central IT organization has a Casper implementation, we won't be using that because it's too expensive per unit. So everything we need to do to these drat things has to be done manually. Is there something my department can buy for a reasonable price that will let us manage < 100 Macs remotely? Stuff like enforcing security settings, remote access to user machines, installing software, mounting (smb/cifs) network shares, etc?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah it's called Casper Jamf Pro and it's practically free for education.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah it's called Casper Jamf Pro and it's practically free for education.

you pretty much need a dedicated resource to run it though. This will take a significant amount of time to configure, set up, and administer.

Pro tip - make hella use out of that support contract. Their support staff tend to be both knowledgeable and very responsive.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

ratbert90 posted:

My first PC was a Commodore 128. I’m young at the age of 33 apparently.

My first Linux was Slackware 3.1, I have hired guys who’s first Linux was Ubuntu 12.04. :smith:

I'm 33, too, but my first Linux was Gentoo 1.2 since I didn't really get into Linux until high school.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't remember which version of slackware I used, but it was on 70-something floppy disks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A ticket came in:

We're not GDPR compliant, and we need more time!- ICANN.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I remember booting my first instance of linux off of several 3.5 disks. get part of the way through the boot and it prompted to put in the next disk.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Question for any dbas here.

Let's say you have an sql2008 database. It is fairly heavily used by 100+ users a day and is tied to a core app. The database seems to rarely but regularly either not write data to some columns or is writing incorrect data.

Server itself is provisioned with 8gb of ram and the db itself is 24+ gb

Aside from ' Holy poo poo this is underprovisioned ' what other issues should I be looking at? My googlefu is failing me today.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

blackswordca posted:

Question for any dbas here.

Let's say you have an sql2008 database. It is fairly heavily used by 100+ users a day and is tied to a core app. The database seems to rarely but regularly either not write data to some columns or is writing incorrect data.

Server itself is provisioned with 8gb of ram and the db itself is 24+ gb

Aside from ' Holy poo poo this is underprovisioned ' what other issues should I be looking at? My googlefu is failing me today.

Not a dba, but what do you mean by "incorrect"? It should have Foo but it has Bar in the column? If that's the case I'd look for concurrency issues in the app (record versioning or other problems).

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Volguus posted:

Not a dba, but what do you mean by "incorrect"? It should have Foo but it has Bar in the column? If that's the case I'd look for concurrency issues in the app (record versioning or other problems).

Basically some fields.that are supposed to be null have data in them or fields that are supposed.to be flagged a certain way in workflow are being flagged incorrectly.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Are you quite sure it's a database problem? You should turn on query logging to see what the application is actually doing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I remember trying Debian for about a week in 2000, then giving up because of the lack of documentation. Then, someone handed me a FreeBSD cd and the handbook in a printed form, and I never really looked back since.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

iSCSI over PPPoE over WiFi.

For security reasons. :unsmigghh:

SSL tunnel that poo poo! You don't want Bobby Tables capping your packets!

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Thom and the Heads posted:

every once in a while i remember that networking over power line exists

I hadn't considered how an extension cord run across your yard could be an IT security threat before.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

spankmeister posted:

Are you quite sure it's a database problem? You should turn on query logging to see what the application is actually doing.

This. If the app can connect, but data isn't making it to the right place, that's not a database issue. That's an "app doing stupid poo poo" thing.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I can play the sounds of the Commodore 1541 drive in my head.

*grind* *grind* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *beat* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *grind* *grind*

Ahh memories.

That and the evolution of the modem connection sounds as speeds and modulation changed.

My first full-fledged PC was the IBM PC that I split with my dad. His office was next to my bedroom so at night he’d settle in to futz with Lotus 1-2-3 with booting DOD from 5-1/4” floppies:

Honk-honk-weeee!-honk tick tick tickTick tick

My brother and I both trigger each other with that sound. I’d love to find an audio clip of that sound and send it to him.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

I heard this sound in 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp47x1EabqI

God help me this is interesting. Bringing me back to my electronics 101 class where the instructor was a straight up phreaker in his younger days and had a huge hard on for analogue modems and encoding schemes.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 31, 2018

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

blackswordca posted:

Basically some fields.that are supposed to be null have data in them or fields that are supposed.to be flagged a certain way in workflow are being flagged incorrectly.

I’m an Oracle DBA. This is not a database problem. No modern rldb will behave this way, even sqlserver.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I have a feeling I'm about to piss someone off enough that they're going to complain about me to someone else!

Request for access to a folder and then someone who's not on the approvers list says "I should be on that list, give them access and also put me on the list to approve people in the future" which is, uh, not how it works. I don't believe anything nefarious is afoot but come on. And it's a big rush because they want to get something up and going but ultimately didn't quite request the kind of access needed in the proper way either.

Oh well.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

fishmech posted:

The cheap powered ones can reliably transport 1080p content over ~100 feet, and the higher end ones can handle somewhat higher resolutions over even farther. I think there's very few as of yet that will support full 4K resolution though.

I hear point-to-point HDMI to Ethernet is pretty awful, but we've had good luck with WIPS devices in our media labs. Just ordered a handful of these and since it's done by IP, there's no real distance limit to broadcast as long as you've got the infrastructure and the bandwidth. They're def not cheap tho. (about $500 a pop) Only ever use the ethernet port, tried experimenting with the wireless and it was pretty choppy.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 31, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Levitate posted:

I have a feeling I'm about to piss someone off enough that they're going to complain about me to someone else!

Request for access to a folder and then someone who's not on the approvers list says "I should be on that list, give them access and also put me on the list to approve people in the future" which is, uh, not how it works. I don't believe anything nefarious is afoot but come on. And it's a big rush because they want to get something up and going but ultimately didn't quite request the kind of access needed in the proper way either.

Oh well.

I worked a place where SOP when we found a security group with no one on the approver list was to pick a random name from the list of people with access and ask them who should be doing approvals.

It worked surprisingly well, actually

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My first Linux was Corel Linux. This newfangled Linux thing with a major software company behind it, surely that will be the best distribution, right?

I quickly moved on to a real distribution. Mandrake :eng99:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Iron Rose posted:

you pretty much need a dedicated resource to run it though. This will take a significant amount of time to configure, set up, and administer.

Pro tip - make hella use out of that support contract. Their support staff tend to be both knowledgeable and very responsive.

Well, an old Mac Mini or iMac running Server OS should do fine for the back end.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This gave me warm and fuzzy flashbacks. Not in '01 because I was on ADSL by then, but late 90s? You bet.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

It's still almost science fiction to me the speeds data is transferred at these days. My history is 9600 > 14.4 > 28.8 > 56K (USRobotics Courier, which gave even bettter speed if your ISP also had them at their end, which all did) through dual ISDN, 2 Mbps SDSL, 40/20 Mbps VDSL and all crappy DSL variants in between, to my now 250/30 stable DOCSIS 3 cable connection. To download a Linux ISO in a few seconds feels crazy to me still.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My ISP doubled my plan to 200/20 for 3 € more. Scheduled for the first, it actually changed yesterday for me.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My dad still gives me grief about a $500 long distance bill I ran up as a kid dialing every BBS in our area code one summer. All that so I could play Tradewars on more than one BBS.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sheep posted:

My dad still gives me grief about a $500 long distance bill I ran up as a kid dialing every BBS in our area code one summer. All that so I could play Tradewars on more than one BBS.

Got the same shitstorm from my mom for exactly the same reason.

BBS in Dearborn Heights: Free
BBS in Dearborn (same loving exchange, even): Local Toll
BBS in Redford: Free
BBS in Detroit (literally across the street): Local Toll

HorstMann's list was the bible, though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Levitate posted:

Oh well.

Any response other than "oh no, how dare he do his job properly" :eyeroll: is the wrong response

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

JazzmasterCurious posted:

It's still almost science fiction to me the speeds data is transferred at these days. My history is 9600 > 14.4 > 28.8 > 56K (USRobotics Courier, which gave even bettter speed if your ISP also had them at their end, which all did) through dual ISDN, 2 Mbps SDSL, 40/20 Mbps VDSL and all crappy DSL variants in between, to my now 250/30 stable DOCSIS 3 cable connection. To download a Linux ISO in a few seconds feels crazy to me still.

And DOCSIS 3.1 is theoretically capable of 10 gig download speeds

I mean, last I heard no cable company figured out how to actually pull off speeds like that yet but the specification is there and customer equipment will already be in place for when they do.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Sheep posted:

Mine as AOL. Got banned from the computer for the summer. When I got back on the computer I ended up getting my whole family banned for AOL for life by taking advantage of netsplits to take over an AOL IRC room and deoping everyone. It led to getting a real ISP and then switching to cable when it was available.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I started with a 2400 baud modem and still occasionally laugh at myself when I start getting annoyed at the fact that I'm downloading something at "only" 20 megabits per second while in a car doing 80 MPH, or when my cable at home underperforming and I'm getting "only" the same 100mbit/sec speeds I'd have seen between my home PC and file server 10 years ago.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Got the same shitstorm from my mom for exactly the same reason.

BBS in Dearborn Heights: Free
BBS in Dearborn (same loving exchange, even): Local Toll
BBS in Redford: Free
BBS in Detroit (literally across the street): Local Toll

HorstMann's list was the bible, though.
Also did the same thing with AOL dialup numbers back when they went unlimited. All the Toledo numbers were busy all the time, but Findlay was usually available and it's still 419 so it's still local right? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

On a whim I decided to try to play Pillars of Eternity II over remote desktop on my iPad. It worked surprisingly well.