Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yet the last two aren't as poppy imo because the hooks are pretty weak on half the songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new CHVRCHES is definitely their weakest but I'm still enjoying most of it. I'm a sucker for well-made synthpop, though, and that's definitely their forte which they're still sticking to.

Although they're playing here in October and I don't know if I'm gonna go. Tickets are like $45 after fees, which seems steep for a band like them. I already saw them a couple years ago (I think it was right after Every Open Eye came out) at a festival and they were great then, but the setlist was like exclusively songs I wanted to hear back then too.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1dh4FAgLUs

So loving psyched for the 1st to get here (even though he flubs the intro to the second verse)

Already got the shipping notification for the pre-ordered vinyl :getin:

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The new CHVRCHES is definitely their weakest but I'm still enjoying most of it. I'm a sucker for well-made synthpop, though, and that's definitely their forte which they're still sticking to.

Although they're playing here in October and I don't know if I'm gonna go. Tickets are like $45 after fees, which seems steep for a band like them. I already saw them a couple years ago (I think it was right after Every Open Eye came out) at a festival and they were great then, but the setlist was like exclusively songs I wanted to hear back then too.

what makes you think it's their weakest? I'm genuinely curious.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man I know a lot of people get down on U2, but I saw them last night in Nashville and goddamn they put on a good show. Go see em if you get a chance.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i think the new chvrches is fine but the album art is suuuuuuper bad

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Panda Bear was one of the worst shows I’ve ever seen. Animal Collective was ok but didn’t play For Reverend Green. This was like 8 years ago Pitchfork Fests though so I wouldn’t be surprised if he completely stopped giving a poo poo by now.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
saw Combo Chimbita on Friday and they were loving incredible. best live band I've seen in aaaages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmEUaiCrEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNoD-bGLths

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Loky11 posted:

what makes you think it's their weakest? I'm genuinely curious.
Have you heard The Bones of What You Believe or Every Open Eye? Those are way catchier. They have tracks that stick with me even years later. Love is Dead has some good tracks, but I don't know that they have that kind of staying power. I listened to the album once. It's not like it's the kind of album that makes me want to listen to it over and over again.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Have you heard The Bones of What You Believe or Every Open Eye? Those are way catchier. They have tracks that stick with me even years later. Love is Dead has some good tracks, but I don't know that they have that kind of staying power. I listened to the album once. It's not like it's the kind of album that makes me want to listen to it over and over again.

both of those are some of my favorite songs this past year. I get it. I've listened to the whole album 2x now and it's kind of growing on me. I need to see them live.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

It may be because I'm older and more cynical now, but the lyrics feel way worse than they did 5 years ago. I get that these songs aren't really about that, but when the lyrics distract me from what should be a melody-driven album, I just...I dunno.

None of these songs grab me like almost anything on Bones. Graffiti is fine, the singles are...also mostly fine. It's just not a step forward.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, I legit love this new CHVRCHES album. It's one of those albums I immediately whistle along to, which there aren't a ton of.

The cover art seems kinda Hot Topic-y, but the music kinda sounds like Paramore with synths anyway, so I think it fits.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

New CHVRCHES is awesome, I'm a fan. Can't wait to see it live this fall

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Anonymous John posted:

I saw Fever Ray in DC as well (front row what what) and was kind of disappointed. The theatrics wore off after five songs, and I didn't like the reinterpretation of the old songs, such as all the percussion on Triangle Walks. The tour for the first album in 2009 was so much more memorable.

Also, a big gently caress you to the insufferable belligerent gay couple at the front. You didn't ruin my night, but you may very well have done so to others.

Yeah, I would have given a lot to see her tour her 2009 album instead of that of this one.

Balcony supremacy for lighting-heavy shows like that, imo. Crowd up there was surprisingly polite. No one tried to encroach on my spot on the railing or anything.

gently caress belligerent folks, though, ban couples, and double gently caress belligerent couples at shows. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

I let this short kid in front of me at the Alvvays show halfway through the set — she was shorter than me, girls to the front an all that — in a matter of minutes, she pulled up two of her friends and started slam dancing to every song they could and it was one of the most :shepface: "fml" moments ever

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I had been standing near the front of a show at the black cat in DC several years ago for over an hour and three douchebags tried to push their way to the front right before the headliner.

I'm 6' but the lead douchebag was probably 6'5" and I arm blocked him from trying to move right in front of me and was like "no way man I've been here a long time, you're tall, and being a dickhead".

He didn't end up getting in front of me and my girlfriend but still was right there near the front because most people don't know when to speak up for themselves.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Luckily most small indie shows I don't have to worry about any kind of crowd issues, but it seems to always be an issue when it's in a bigger venue. I usually will stake out a spot and just plant myself as best I can, lean into anyone trying to shove me aside.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Florence and The Machine tour has been announced and her openers are incredible!

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/music/sd-me-music-florence-machine-tour-20180529-story,amp.html

September 8 Vancouver, BC, Canada Skookum Festival

September 10 Seattle, WA KeyArena†

September 11 Portland, OR Moda Center†

September 14 Salt Lake City, UT Maverik Center†

September 15 Denver, CO Grandoozy Festival

September 22 Las Vegas, NV Life Is Beautiful

September 23 San Diego, CA Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl San Diego State University‡

September 25 Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Bowl‡

September 29 Dallas, TX The Pavilion at Toyota Music Factory‡

September 30 Houston, TX The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion‡

October 2 Nashville, TN Bridgestone Arena§

October 3 Charlotte, NC Spectrum Center§

October 5 Washington, D.C. The Anthem**

October 9 New York, NY Barclays Center

October 12 Boston, MA TD Garden

October 13 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena††

October 14 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center††

October 16 Toronto, ON, Canada Air Canada Centre††

October 19 Chicago, IL United Center‡‡

October 20 Minneapolis, MN Target Center‡‡

*with Wet

†with St. Vincent and Lizzo

‡with Kamasi Washington

§with Billie Eilish

**with Beth Ditto

††with Grizzly Bear

‡‡with Perfume Genius

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 29, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I'm definitely still trying to figure out how I feel about it overall. I had the preview songs on loop before the album dropped but I guess I'm trying to figure out how it all ties together

like Every Eye Open starts with a bang and goes melancholic. I don't know if Love is Dead is more subdued or more all over the place but I enjoy it enough

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 29, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

T Bowl posted:

Tesla model c-grime incoming

LOOK AT ME IM ELON SIMPSON

*shoves car charger into mouth*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

plz dont pull out posted:

Like personally I liked Every Open Eye just as much if not more than the first album. On paper them going even further in a pop direction works for me. I'm all about pop music, or at least stuff that's catchy and hook driven. But this isn't what I wanted and with me being kinda bad at articulating why I do or don't like a particular album all I can say is that the chorus of Miracle sounds like it came from a Imagine Dragons song.

I feel like Graffiti is the best song for that sort of direction, but some of the other songs are trying to do the same straightforward thing and aren't quite as succesful or are just redundant. Maybe it's just biasing me since it's the opener. I don't actively dislike any of them though

comedy option: needs more Iain/Martin vocal tracks

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 29, 2018

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
It's a little late in the thread but I just want to throw in my RIP for Scott Hutchison. Frightened Rabbit are loving amazing, and he'll be missed. Weird personal connection: my parents' very first date was getting ice cream and taking in the sights at the same area where Scott went missing and was found. :(

In happier, less macabre posting:

I quite like the new CHVRCHES. I remember - in this very thread! - saying that their first single sounded like low-grade Hilary Duff, but it grew on me in a big,bad way. That song, and "Never Say Die", fuckin' rip and about 85% of the album is the same.

The lyrics are definitely a step down though. Compare "Icon of symmetry, swallowing sides/Fall down in front of me, follow my eyes" from BOWYB to "It's a deliver-iver-iverance/If you can never, never change/It's a deliver-iver-iverance/If you hurt me in exchange" from the new album. It's no contest.

Alright, I legit love this new CHVRCHES album. It's one of those albums I immediately whistle along to, which there aren't a ton of.

The cover art seems kinda Hot Topic-y, but the music kinda sounds like Paramore with synths anyway, so I think it fits.

Why the change? Just a quick grow-on-yah deal? Cuz yeah bud I'm in the same boat just whistlin' and bugging my co-workers :tipshat:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

T Bowl posted:

Also Panda Bear's last three LPs are their best overall work in my opinion. I think I am a bigger fan of his than them as a collective, and nothing very memorable has come from any of the others solo output.

I really liked Deakin's solo album—it's a real grower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmaJTpJpUiU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The guy from Jonathan Fire*Eater died:
https://www.stereogum.com/1998342/jonathan-fireeaters-stewart-lupton-dead-at-43/obit/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Why the change? Just a quick grow-on-yah deal? Cuz yeah bud I'm in the same boat just whistlin' and bugging my co-workers :tipshat:
Haha I listened to it a second time and it really clicked for me how fuckin' catchy it is. I then listened to the whole thing again immediately afterwards.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
People slam dance to Alvvays?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Teenagers will find a way to mosh to literally anything

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

While the songwriting (both lyrically and composition) is stronger on The Bones of What You Believe, Lauren's singing is so much stronger and more confident on the two more recent CHVRCHES albums, and the mix is SO much better, that I just like listening to them more. :shrug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Schpyder posted:

While the songwriting (both lyrically and composition) is stronger on The Bones of What You Believe, Lauren's singing is so much stronger and more confident on the two more recent CHVRCHES albums, and the mix is SO much better, that I just like listening to them more. :shrug:

Totally agree, I'm enjoying her voice more than any other album.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

‡‡with Perfume Genius

I do want to say that Perfume Genius is pretty great stuff.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Can't wait for the new Gruff Rhys album. It's getting great reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L09PSR7uQtU

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

I really liked Deakin's solo album—it's a real grower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmaJTpJpUiU

Thanks for reminding me of this album, I love it, but had forgotten about it somehow!

knows a black guy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 30, 2018

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah I like that one but the Panda Bear albums are still better imo.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

anybody else going to Hinterland Music Festival? it's the peakest indie/AAA/alt-country lineup I think I've ever seen, sounds p good tho

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
No Lydia Loveless OR Jason Isbell? But they do have Wheeler Walker Jr. that should be interesting.

Also, alt-country sounds like a label for the worst music ever.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yet alt-country is some of the best music ever.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Im seeing Peach Kelli Pop and Voidz in June and am super excited. I also saw TV Girl while visiting portland last week and TV Girl is extremely good live

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Peach Kelli Pop rule and I can’t wait to see them again in a couple weeks! Everyone should check em out! Peachkellipop.bandcamp.com

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

skooma512 posted:

When I last saw Alvvays, the audience was primarily 30-something instagram moms.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

T Bowl posted:

Yeah I like that one but the Panda Bear albums are still better imo.

I also love Avey's solo album

but FYI thread, I saw Dirty Projectors live at Boston Calling and my god are they good live. Im thinking of buying a Sunday pass for Gov Ball just to watch them again. If they are in your town go see them. The harmonies are perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

bows1 posted:

but FYI thread, I saw Dirty Projectors live at Boston Calling and my god are they good live. Im thinking of buying a Sunday pass for Gov Ball just to watch them again. If they are in your town go see them. The harmonies are perfect

I second this recommendation. I just saw them a few hours ago. The new lineup is really solid and the new material sounded great.