Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That is incredibly optimistic. Far more optimistic than the B2W2 manga deserves.

Is the B2W2 manga not the reason it's stopped being collected in "Volumes" and changed to being "Pokemon Adventures: ORAS chapter" etc. and being collected individually? Or is that just an online thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Onmi posted:

Is the B2W2 manga not the reason it's stopped being collected in "Volumes" and changed to being "Pokemon Adventures: ORAS chapter" etc. and being collected individually? Or is that just an online thing?

As far as I can see, that is indeed the case. Makes tracking where I am with My Anime List so much harder, I hate it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 35: Final Unprecedented Island Adventure

Welcome back to the final update of Emerald. It's been one hell of a trip, but it must end eventually. And what better way to finish then with some ~HACKING~

Compared to Crystal, which only had one event we can't get (though it's available on the Virtual Console), Emerald has FOUR events you can't access since you weren't in specific parts of the world in 2003-2005. Sucks to be you.

We've got plenty of neat little islands to visit, but don't think you can just hack in the tickets and go. Oh no no no, the game actually accounts for this and doesn't allow the event to occur unless you've gotten the ticket and had the event activated via Mystery Gift. So that's two AR codes I have to activate at once to get this to work. Even then, for some of these events, it just acts like you've already been to the island but haven't met the legendary, so I'll go over the event text in those instances.

Aye, mate, are you the one who brought that mighty odd PASS? I'll tell you, you're trying to reach a tiny spit of an island far in the south. There's no telling what we'll encounter once we reach there, aye. That shivers my timbers! All aboard!

Southern Island

The first event island is actually the only one you can still visit, even today! The Eon Ticket is of course event exclusive, only available to those who could obtain the Eon Ticket e-Card at E3 2003, the September 2003 issue of Nintendo Power or at Toys R Us stores (RIP), when you activated Mystery Events for your RS games and received it from Norman. Since Mystery Events aren't a thing in non-Japanese versions of Emerald, the only way to receive this ticket is to mix records with someone who has the OG Eon Ticket in RS, other RS games that got the ticket through record mixing won't count. So, this is an event you can technically do now! Obviously I didn't fancy doing that.

Here's what Norman says when you go see him in his Gym to receive the ticket.

HARUKA! Good to see you! There's a letter here for you, HARUKA.

[Obtained the EON TICKET.png]

It appears to be a ferry TICKET, but I've never seen one like it before. You should visit LILYCOVE and ask about it there.

After you've finished here, you aren't able to come back in RS, whereas you can visit this island whenever in Emerald. A good change. Oh yeah, all events start in Lilycove harbor, they don't work if you go to Slateport, though you can travel to whichever island from either after you've unlocked it.

But what secret Pokemon is waiting for us in the depths?

It's the other Lati! In Ruby, this would be Latias, in Sapphire, this would be Latios and in Emerald, it's the one we didn't select for the TV broadcast.

It's an alright level to fight too, since we haven't seen our team for a bit cause of the Frontier.

Oh good, Recover. Just what we needed. Get used to seeing that.

Alright, we're at a good amount, so let's start chucking balls. It's a bit early for Timers, so let's get through these Ultras.

Or we just catch it after a couple turns. That was easy.

Okay, with three more events to go, how many islands are there left?

Before we continue, we've, uh, completed the Hoenn Dex. And that gives us our final trainer card star. Seriously, you just need to the beat the Champion, win all Master Rank contests and get the corresponding paintings, obtain all 7 Gold Symbols and complete the Hoenn Dex, excluding Jirachi and Deoxys. The National Dex is completely optional, since these stars are very similar to RS's, where you had to defeat 50 trainers in a row in the Battle Tower instead of the Gold Symbols. That's it, so much easier than getting all the stars in FRLG.

I know one person who will be very happy we did this.

Professor Birch's Lab

You really have completed the HOENN region's POKEDEX. That's more than just impressive. I have a gift for you. Consider it my show of appreciation for the fantastic work you've done. My gift is a rare POKEMON only found in another region! You can have any one of these three POKEMON!

Are you going to keep battling and sharpening your skills? Or are you going to try filling the NATIONAL POKEDEX? I'm staying here to help the PROF.

For obtaining all 200 Pokemon in the Hoenn Dex, we can get a Johto starter, making it the only way to get these Pokemon in the main series Gen 3 games. You can only choose one, however, which doesn't really help filling the National Dex, but hey, you only need to restart your game and do this two more times to get all three! ...don't do that, there's a much easier way of getting the Johto starters.

I dunno why Birch says something different when you first pick Cyndaquil compared to the other two, but eh, it doesn't matter what I pick, since I'm not completing the National Dex anyway.

Listen, YUKI. You've completed the HOENN POKEDEX, but your POKEMON journey isn't over. There is no end to the road that is POKEMON. Somewhere, there is a grassy patch that's waiting for you!

"the BATTLE FRONTIER?"

Maybe.

Let's get the other reward for completing the dex, I'm collecting 'em!

It's tough trying to complete it, but don't give give up. If you do complete it, please come show me. ... Wow! That's awesome! Yep, it's totally awesome! This POKEDEX is completely filled! You really must love POKEMON! I'm so impressed! Let me give you something in recognition of your feat!

Aww yeah, another Diploma. I should get an album of these bad boys.

Now that we've seen Latias, we can enter in the final good saying. It's only been 20 updates...

So, uh, we seem to be missing berries 37-40. They don't seem to be in these games. Hmmmmmmmmm...

Where you're trying to go is an island that's far, far away. No knows what awaits there... the very thought excites my blood as a sailing man! Get on board, youngster!

Ooh, what crazy Pokemon lurk here?

Navel Rock

I don't think we're in Hoenn anymore. Let's head into the cave.

Navel Rock Cave

Hmm, this song sounds familiar... well anyway, Navel Rock is really big and empty, I don't get this design, but we eventually reach a junction, so let's go right.

And down and down and down and down and down and down and down and down and down and down and down and down. Seriously, that's how many floors there are.

Johto Legendary

Oh hey, that's where the Johto legends are hiding. Both Lugia and Ho-oh are only available through this event in the main series games. The Mysticticket was first distributed for Emerald in Japan from February 11th to 27th 2005 and continued to be distributed until January 2007, after the release of DP. In America, it was distributed at the Nintendo World Store in May 2005 for the newly released Emerald and during the Pokemon Rocks America 2005 tour, from September to October. Oh, were you not in those places during that time? TOO BAD, you've missed it forever.

Due to its high level, both birds are gonna be a pain to catch, so we'll have to chip them down enough before they wreck us.

Well that hurt a lot.

Of course it has fuckin Recover, gah!

Alright, we've gotten it low enough, let's get ballin'. Timer ballin'.

Just like that. Timer Balls are great after 20 turns. Which this took, because it kept using Recover.

Now to go up and up and up and up and up. Yeah, it's bullshit the other way has so many more floors.

Ho-oh will be a bit easier to whittle down, since Rock Tomb won't do that much damage, right?

drat, Wargreymon is so strong he can 2 shot this bird. We should be fine, since it recovers more than we do, so we can whittle it down that way.

While he takes a beating and nearly gives me a heart attack, Wargreymon does what I need him to do. Ball time!

Very nice, that's both birds caught! Man, if only there was an easier way of obtaining these two...

Don't forget this hidden item, this is only way to get it in the main series games!

Oh hey, Navel Rock is also in FRLG too, so let's go obtain this ticket "legit" and explore it!

Okay, everything's in order for you to board a special ferry. SEAGALLOP HI-SPEED 10 will be departing immediately.

Navel Rock

Welcome to Navel Rock, nestled inbetween Four and Five Island, so when we came here in Emerald, we were technically going to a second region. How's that for postgame content? Japan got the Mysticticket for FRLG in July to August 2004 from the Pokemon Festa and American players could use either FRLG or Emerald when obtaining the ticket when it first became available shortly after Emerald's release.

Heading down.

This was the original event, so it'll be the same as Emerald since Emerald just ported it over! Let's see how this team handles the birds.

Still a bitch.

But not too bad.

Up to the top.

Alright, fire chicken, let's see how hard you'll be.

...oh. Not at all.

A neat little bonus, though you have to find it this way instead of just, you know, pressing A. Anyway, back to Emerald for the next island.

I beg your pardon? Can we sail to this place on the map? I know someone who will help you better. Please wait.

Let's have a look. ... Boy, this is quite a ways away. I'm afraid I can't help you...

What's the idea of turning down someone that I owe so much to? YUKI, I'm terribly sorry. You came to me seeking my help, and we almost turned you away. Well, let me make things right. We'll sail right away, of course! Let's find this island on this OLD SEA MAP!

Faraway Island

Like with Navel Rock, Faraway Island isn't in Hoenn, but it's not in Sevii, since it isn't in FRLG, making this an Emerald exclusive area! Let's see what's here.

...ber, 6th day. If any human ... sets foot here ... again ...et it be a kindhearted pers... ...ith that hope, I depar...

Ooh, a mystery. While we have no indication who wrote that, in the Japanese versions, the message is signed by ...ji, so it's probably Mr. Fuji, who has the same Japanese name. Wonder what he was doing on this island?

Oh hey, it's a Mew. Exclusively in a Hoenn game. After a Kanto remake. Okay.

Hey do you remember when I told you to remember the Mimic Circle guys? That's cause I love leaving hints to what I'm gonna do much later in my LPs, so we've got to situate ourselves next to this Mew to encounter it, which will be tough since it mimics our movements!

But after a minute, we walk right while it walks up. It's battle time!

VS Mew

That's right, not only is this the first time in the series we can encounter and catch Mew, but it even has a unique battle theme! Man, I bet you guys loved this event when America got it- oh, wait, apparently only Japan ever got the Old Sea Map distribution during the Pokemon Festa 2005, from July to August or the PokePark theme park in September 2005. That's it. American players never got the chance to get this event, so the translated Faraway Island is impossible to reach.

Since Mew is so low in level, it won't be doing much to us. UNLESS???

Alright, never mind.

Since it has a catch rate of 45, it's much easier to get than all the other event Pokemon in this update.

Before we head to the final island, let's do something I may have kinda forgotten about.

We always argue about who is the strongest of all TRAINERS here. So when I heard about you, I decided to be your fan! I hope you'll keep on battling other tough TRAINERS. That way, we'll be able to see more of your hot, hot battles. That will make the others here see how great you are. Remember, I'm cheering for you, YUKI!

For beating the Elite Four we get a fanbase! This only happens in Gen 3, but it's a cute little thing that affects absolutely nothing and those are some of the best things in video games.

Everyone else in here needs to shower me in praise.

Even though people may say that you're strong... you've still got a long way to go compared to your father.

...alright, let's go to the final island already. This one also just pops up with no fan fare when you HACK, but the dialogue is the same as going to Navel Rock.

No BGM.

Birth Island has no music and a single strange object in the center.

Wonder where we are. When we touch the triangle it moves. Let's chase it around!

It becomes more and more red as you press it and if you don't interact with it after a secret timer depletes, it returns back to the start.

When it's back in the middle, you should probably save because...

Deoxys Descends

It's an alien!

VS Deoxys

The Normal form of Deoxys is anything but, being the one you fight in battle and the one it becomes in RS and ColoXD. It's a poor man's Attack form, having very slightly higher defense stats (but still really bad) and no unique moves in its learnset as a reason to keep it in that form at that level. In those games where it must be this form though, it's pretty goddamn amazing, having superb attacking stats, Psycho Boost, Choice Band and Superpower. Since you couldn't obtain Deoxys until its Attack and Defense forms became available in FRLG, its Normal form is only used when you use it in Gamecube battles and in Hoenn games before Emerald came out. It's just not used anymore due its other options being superior.

Deoxys hits really really hard, but it's hard to catch because any good attack from our team will take it out.

Thankfully Ranmaru can weaken it, but drat, he nearly knocks it out!

Alright we've caught it. Now it'll become its new form since this event is only in FRLG and Emerald, where it'll become something other than its regular form. RS only gets Southern Island. The AuroraTicket was available in Japan from April to July 2004 if you purshased a ticket for Movie 7: Sky-Splitting Visitor: Deoxys, as well as an AuroraTicket voucher at participating toy and supermarket chains like Daiei, Toys R Us and Pokemon Center stores. The voucher could be exchanged at the same store it was purchased from from June to August 2004 to use in your FRLG games, though you could wait and use it Emerald. Similarly, the AuroraTicket became available in America during the Pokemon Rocks America 2004 tour in October 2004, unrelated to the movie's release in January 2005. So, let's talk Speed form.

Unique to Emerald, Deoxys-S is, uh, fast. Literally, it's got the highest Speed in the game, knocking Ninjask from its spot after five games in the spotlight. Unless you use priority or boost your stats, this Pokemon will go before you, period. So it gets some cool moves to keep that theme, like Double Team, Agility and Extremespeed, but what it basically did was supplant Deoxys-D as a hazard and screen setter, since it ensures they stay up by laying them down first or using Taunt to stop the opponent laying theirs. And then hitting you with a Psycho Boost with slightly better offenses. Sure, its offenses aren't much, but they're not bad, so it'll hurt. Despite four forms, only two really see use, but they're pretty drat good at what they do, so it's a great lead to annoy the opponent with, if nothing else.

We still have two Deoxys forms to talk about, so let's visit the island from a different region. These are the only two event areas in the remakes, no Southern Island or Faraway Island here.

Like before, Birth Island is in Sevii and is the same as Emerald.

So we've still got this drat puzzle to go over.

VS Deoxys

What'll it look like this time?

Yep, no matter what game you fight Deoxys in, it'll always appear in its Normal form.

It's still low level with very little defenses, so be careful attacking it.

Since we might be here a while (3 catch rate legendaries woo), let's talk about the two forms of Deoxys unique to FireRed and LeafGreen.

Unique to FireRed, Deoxys-A really, REALLY does some damage. It has absolutely pathetic defenses, but if you absolutely annihilate everything in your way, so what? It's basically the Normal form on steroids, so it completely replaces it, especially with Superpower (and Taunt and Zap Cannon lol) as its unique moves. Because both of its attacking stats are stupidly high, it's best to go for a mixed set, otherwise you're just throwing stat points away, as even an uninvested super effective hit will HURT. Because of the Choice Band, it's best to go with the physical side, but its wide movepool, TM and Tutor moves means it can go for whatever, especially since Psycho Boost is ridiculous if you fully invest in the special side. It's best to trade it to Emerald to get Fire Punch, but everything else can be gotten here. Seriously, it's fast, hits incredibly hard and will fall over immediately if something somehow survives its attacks.

Unique to LeafGreen, Deoxys-D might not have the staggering firepower of its other forms, but with an alright typing, Recover and Pressure, this is definitely a Pokemon that can stall forever. It gets the most unique moves, in Knock Off, Spikes, Iron Defense, Amnesia, Counter and Mirror Coat, so it definitely won't be going anywhere. It's low HP is a bit of a shame, but unlike a lot of walls, it's pretty drat fast, so it's able to usually get the finishing blow on weakened foes. With Cosmic Power, Toxic, Night Shade/Seismic Toss and screens added on top, Deoxys-D can become a huge problem very quickly and can very consistently set up all layers of Spikes. If you wanna relax, take your time and see how much PP you can burn away, then this is the form for you. But if you want to get screens and spikes up first, then Deoxys-S is a better pick.

Neat, we've got our murder alien.

Phew, I did all those events in a row, so Nimbus could use her Sing PP back, drat Pressure legendaries...

Oh, the gold color is brilliant! The four stars seem to sparkle! I've seen several TRAINERS with a SILVER CARD before, but, YUKI, you're the first TRAINER I've ever seen with a GOLD CARD! Okay, YUKI, please allow me the honor of resting your POKEMON!

Huh... this mechanic started in Gen 3, along with the stars. I always thought it was Gen 4. Neat! Well that's all the events and all the Pokemon in the Hoenn Dex. I think we're about do-

...the gently caress do I do about this thing?

Oh look it's a meteor shower above Mossdeep or fuckin something. SO, Jirachi is the next pixie Pokemon, with 100 in all stats and a killer ability in Serene Grace (though it has little to use it with). It has the potential to do a lot, especially with its typing, making it more durable than Mew or Celebi. However, its typing means it needs to decide which attacking stat to use and with Calm Mind, Psychic, Thunderbolt and the elemental punches, it's a pretty good special sweeper that can take some hits. Its unique move Doom Desire is like a physical Future Sight, so it's not very good. Only Body Slam can be used with its ability, so it needs to wait for other options, meaning it doesn't really use physical attacks. Otherwise, it's a good durable Pokemon that you can easily get in your games right now. Huh, really?

Despite being completely unavailable in all main series Gen 3 games, Jirachi is still available even now in other ways through Pokemon Channel in Europe and Australia and Pokemon Colosseum in America. After completing Channel, you can transfer Jirachi to RS and also fix the Berry Glitch, while pre-ordering Pokemon Colosseum gave you a disc full of promotional material for the game, as well as a Jirachi to transfer to RS, or a Celebi if you pre-ordered the Japanese version of Colosseum, though you also need the actual game to transfer it over. Since you can obtain Jirachi from these ways, it doesn't matter there were events for it nearly 15 years ago. gently caress that's a while ago. The Jirachi also holds a Ganlon or Salac Berry, so that explains where those two are, but it's not the best way to get them.

Shame I couldn't catch it in a Nest Ball, but 3 catch rate mons mean you burn through them quick. Oh well. There's also another way of getting Jirachi in these games, along with any other Pokemon you want, if you have patience and knowledge of the super cool Pomeg Glitch. Since I had trouble setting up the Celebi Egg Glitch last LP, I won't be bothering with showing it off, but I will be going over it in the Side Notes. It's pretty drat crazy.

Oh look at that I completed the National Dex, who could've seen that coming. I know I said I wasn't going to complete it, but I didn't really finish it, not like the Hoenn Dex, which went pretty smoothly I thought.

Yep... nothing's really changed, it's just a little extra. We're missing some stats on the back of the Trainer Card, but that's not a surprise. We've got Hall of Fame Debut, Link Battles, Pokemon Trades, Pokeblocks with Friends, Won Contests With Friends and Battle Points Won (Battle Tower & Straight Wins in RS). Only FRLG really cares if you complete the National Dex and that excludes Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Jirachi and Deoxys. Maybe someone else will appreciate this?

Hmm, guess he doesn't give a poo poo. Probably for the best, since we nearly gave Oak a heart attack.

Woo another diploma. Right, uh, what else is there to do?

Oh yeah, Gym Leader rematches. They're poo poo. You're relying on them just becoming available on the Pokenav to fight them again and it takes like four rematches before they get to their highest level of around 60. Sure, you could use them to grind to make fighting Steven, but it's just too much of a hassle, especially since you gotta visit them in their Gym to fight them again. They'll improve on the system later, but they never make it perfect.

My dream... hahaha... it has already come true, actually.

Oh yeah, you can put some dolls in your bedroom. I completely forgot until I was ready to end the LP. Anyway, uh, it's over. It was a lot of fun, hope you enjoyed. But what's next? Pokemon Platinum? Something entirely different?

Well, no, see, we're not done with Gen 3 just yet. It's divided into three parts and we've only done two of them, RSE and FRLG. There's a lot of stuff that just doesn't match up, some Johto Pokemon are really hard to get, there's some missing berries aside from events and some legendaries that seem to have no place at all? Well, we'll be solving all these problems as we head to Arizona, BABY, it's Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 14: Glitzer Popping

So it's time to talk about the really big glitch of the LP and it's similar to the Mew of Celebi Egg Glitch in size, since it's pretty similar in what in does, but activated in a different way. This glitch can only be performed in Emerald and Gen 4 because of the new effect of the Pomeg Berry: it lowers a Pokemon's HP EVs by 10, which can cause the Pokemon's HP to become lower than 1 without it fainting. As you'd expect, this is pretty big, as the game gets pretty drat confused.

Before we really glitch things up, one big thing you can do with this glitch is have Eggs be sent out into battle, since the game considers your Pomeg'd Pokemon to still be alive, but not able to be sent out. So the Pokemon that would hatch from the Egg is sent out (mixed with the colour palette of the Egg) and has all the stats and moves it would have while hatching. During this time, you can level up, learn moves and evolve, all without hatching the Egg. When it does hatch, it's sent back to level 5, EVs are reset to 0 and all exp is removed, but the changed moveset and evolution remain, allowing you to get level 5 evolved Pokemon and Pokemon with moves they won't learn for a long time. Also, since you can trade Eggs in these games, Pokemon that would evolve when traded, like Kadabra, will evolve while you have a Pomeg'd Pokemon in your party.

But the main use of the Pomeg Glitch is Glitzer Popping, letting you go beyond the sixth slot of the party and, like similar Gen 1 and 2 glitches, start messing around in the game's data and corrupt Pokemon in Box 1 and 2 in the Storage System. It's pretty easy to set up, but if you want to get a specific Pokemon from this, then you need to know what happens when you corrupt a Pokemon's data to get something different in the PC. To understand how this all works, we need to go over how the Pokemon's data is laid out:

This determines everything the Pokemon is about, but the main reason this glitch works is because the game organises these four structures in different orders depending on the remainder of the Pokemon's personality value mod 24, in this chart (don't worry if you don't know what mod is):

So, by changing a Pokemon's personality value via this glitch, we change what values the game reads, as the data structures don't change order when you forcibly change the personality value in this way, so in this way, we can have the game read a Pokemon's HP and Attack EVs as the species index, or the ID of the first move as the Pokerus status and met location. Can you see how this glitch might work? By changing the personality value, we can manipulate all aspects of a Pokemon's data by changing how many EVs it has, or what attacks it has, things very easy to control and have the game read it as the species index number, or the item held, something we wouldn't be able to manipulate in such a way.

This means, of course, that only some Pokemon actually work for this glitch, since they need to have the right personality value to then corrupt to a different personality value that will have its structures read in the "right" way. To use that table, a corrupted Pokemon will have its personality value changed to either 8 above or 8 below the number its previous personality value was. Obviously you won't know what the personality value is unless you use a save editor of some kind and since you're there you might as well change the EVs to your liking, but remember that all four data structures get read in different ways, so depending on which one you end up in, the Growth structure values is now being read as Moves, so you'd end up with a Pokemon with glitched moves, or with Pokerus. It's overall not important, since the main focus in on turning the EVs or first Move into the Species ID.

Alright, how exactly do you corrupt a Pokemon then? It's actually a lot simpler than you'd think, aside from having the very specific Pokemon you want to corrupt. All you need to do is clone the Pokemon you want to corrupt multiple times and place it in box 2 slot 23/24 and then chequerboard the other clones around the box to increase the chance of the Pokemon becoming corrupted. Other, more useless Pokemon should be placed in the gaps as a "corruption initiator" to be corrupted in unfavourable ways instead of the Pokemon you actually want to corrupt properly. Because of how fast you'll be scrolling through game data in this glitch, you're going to be changing a lot of things very quickly, so it's best to have a lot of backups and sacrificial lambs.

Now, fill your party with fainted Pokemon, one of which needs to know Fly, and the Pokemon you'll use the Pomeg Berry on to activate the glitch. Reduce its HP to 1, but don't put it to 0 just yet. When using the Pomeg Berry on it, you don't want to lower its HP below 0, or the game won't count it as a fainted Pokemon. You can simply use a Potion to put it back to 0. Anyway, now is the time to save, this is where you'll restart if the glitch either doesn't work, or corrupts your favoured Pokemon incorrectly.

Start a wild Pokemon battle and flee from it, then deposit the first fainted Pokemon in the PC. Now use the Pomeg Berry and reduce the Pokemon's HP to 0. Start another wild Pokemon battle and since you technically don't have any non-fainted Pokemon, you'll send out ??????????. Open the Pokemon menu and view the summary of the first valid Pokemon in the party, then back out and scroll up. And keep scrolling, yes even past the Cancel option, slot 256, to start you at slot 255, which is the data of the Pokemon in box 2 slot 23. The more you scroll up, the more you corrupt the Pokemon in the storage system, up until slot 215 (Box 1 slot 1) at which point you start selecting Day Care data, contest data, map data, flag data, etc. Basically anything you can think of, you can potentially blindly select and change in some way. Only do so if you know what you're doing.

When you've corrupted as much of the PC as you want, leave the battle and check the Pokemon in the PC. What you're looking for is just a normal Egg where your Pokemon might be. Ignore all the Bad Eggs and other random crap that might be in there. Withdraw the Egg and see if it's the right Pokemon by sending it out into battle. If it is, hatch it and it's added to your Pokedex, completely legit!

Now you might be thinking woah woah woah, how do HP and Attack EVs translate to a Pokemon species, you can only have 252 in one stat, do you add them both to get a Pokedex number, so 386 for Deoxys? Close, but no, you need to know the internal species ID for that Pokemon, so for Deoxys, that's 410 and if you need a Pokemon lower than 255, then you just use the HP EV, but for anything higher than that, you need to have 1 Attack EV, since that gives you the species number of 256. You then add on whatever amount of HP EVs to get the number you desire, so 154 HP EVs will get you 410, Deoxys. You can also do this with Moves, such as Beat Up resulting in Celebi, hey remember that? But there aren't as many moves as there are Pokemon anymore, so it doesn't work out. You aren't able to manipulate the held item in this way by changing Defense and Speed EVs, as 1 Defense will equal 512, which exceeds any item ID value. Maths!

If you have no idea what I'm talking about still, then yeah, maybe I'm back at explaining this stuff, so just refer to Werster's video on the subject as he explains it very clearly. And there you go, you can now get any Pokemon you drat well fancy, though it might not be a great idea to get Mew and Deoxys if you plan of using them. That's because if you don't get them with an obedience flag (fateful encounter when traded to Gen 4) via their event, they don't obey you in the slightest and cannot be traded. Though since you have a save editor to get the right Pokemon to corrupt, you can just, uh, change that. Okay, well see ya.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well well well, here we are again, another LP done. Since I did the entirety of this game and a few extras in about four months, I think I can say that this LP was an absolute blast! Thanks so much for reading and commenting and participating, this LP was a joy to make from start to finish and this is definitely got me into the groove of SSLPs. Sure, I've left out a few things here and there, or didn't exactly cover everything I wanted in exact detail, but overall I think this LP was pretty smooth sailing and one of the most enjoyable ones. Part of that was making every update around 300 images instead of the old 200, it meant I covered a lot more in one go than I did before, so technically this 40 update or so LP is around 60 updates if you converted the length, so about as long as my Crystal one.

Now for stuff I'm probably gonna change: I won't be putting videos in my Pokemon SSLPs anymore, it just didn't seem worth it. Sure, they didn't take particularly long to make and it's nice to have them, but with how little views they get and how they've got no commentary or any real spark in them just isn't interesting to me. Also, the next LP will help me a lot with this, but I think I need to show off battles more. There were A LOT of trainers in this game, nearly 500 before we even reached the Battle Frontier and I feel like I'm not showing off the fun stuff, just the trainer text, which doesn't seem that interesting. This was especially apparent in the FRLG stuff, where I barely showed our old team doing anything. It made me wonder why I was bringing them back to just show off trainer text, it just seemed a little pointless, but I did make those images quite a few months ago. Also the Victory Road update was pretty short and I could've given it more by showing off more battling. But is that something you're interested in seeing? Do you not care? Please let me know.

Finally, please tell me of any kind of critique you have of how I write my commentary, how I present things, the image size and all that, I'm really getting into the swing of this stuff, but I want to make sure I don't fall into the trap of doing whatever I fancy and getting too up my own arse. Is my commentary getting too over the top? Too annoying? Too wacky or HEE-LARIOUS? Do you care about the Japanese side of things? Am I too descriptive in my mechanic talks? Not descriptive enough? I'm always interested in how you guys like my stuff!

Finally, a big thanks to all those who submitted ideas and Pokemon for the LP, especially to Onmi and rannum for their anime/manga write ups and to Explopyro for diving deeper into some mechanics than I ever would. Cheers to everyone for reading, watching, partaking and discussing, this has been great fun. Now, on to Orre!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I had Jirachi sitting on the Colosseum bonus disc (which I got at the Pokemon Center day of release, RIP) for about ten years before I got a GBA-Gamecube cable off Amazon.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Thanks for another excellent LP. I think you've given me too much credit, frankly, my contributions were fairly minor although obviously I'm glad to have been of assistance. For better or worse, Gen 3 is the one I know the most esoterica about, so while I'll be following along with future LPs I doubt I'll have as much to contribute in the future.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you do the Orre games, there's a lot to enjoy in them and I think they tend to be underrated or overlooked by a lot of people.

As far as concrit goes, since you've asked for it, I don't have that much to say except that I think your instinct to cover battles more is the right one. I'm not exactly sure what the right way to go about it is, but "trainer text - skip battle" definitely hollows things out too much (and/or focuses in on the wrong things, since the trainer text is mostly inane). At the same time, I understand why you did it, because there are a lot of monotonous fodder battles and most of them have nothing interesting happen, I just think "only show when they have a pokemon we've not seen yet in the LP" was a step too far. We don't need a blow-by-blow, and maybe nothing interesting happens at all, but battling is the core of these games and it's weird to barely see it in an LP. I have no idea if that makes any sense?

That said, Orre certainly isn't going to give you that problem, and maybe moving forward into Platinum and beyond the enemy teams will be more interesting to comment on, so it's entirely possible a happy medium will emerge naturally. I guess we'll have to see.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, gently caress events. They're something I'll always hate about this franchise, and the fact that Nintendo/Game Freak bothered putting up a system through the internet then never used it, at least definitely not to the extent they should have, is irritating. Especially if you live outside the countries Nintendo cares about, as I do. It sucks.

Anyways, great job with the LP! It was as enjoyable as always, and the FRLG updates were neat too, even if the game's kind of bland and I have negative hopes for the reremake. I'm looking forward to the Orre games, I didn't own a Gamecube so my knowledge there is a lot less than about the rest of the series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Crosspeice posted:

Well, we'll be solving all these problems as we head to Arizona, BABY, it's Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness![/i]

Let the music play! :getin:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Let's finish this up
Brandon & the Battle Pyramid

Brandon was the final brain Ash went against and also, as you'd figure his toughest. Brandon's anime personality is being very stern, doesn't get frazzled, always yelling NOOO, and he's kinda judgmental. His introduction is dressing down the kids for trespassing on the ruins of PokeLantis (yeah...), telling them to leave, for example. And considers Ash an impatient child. Which to be fair he is considering he rushses off in the ruins and gets possessed by the king of PokeLantis who trapped his dark soul in a pokeball after ho-oh destroys his kingdom. But hey whom among us haven't unleashed an ancient evil or two in our times.
Oh also he's an archaeologist(/tomb raider), which I think is a cute way of representing the pyramid's exploration aspects. He's going through the ruins of PokeLantis to discover and document it, then oops Ash got possessed so he has to fix this mess with a battle.

The writers clearly saw that Brandon was the only Brain who had nothing but legendaries in both his teams so he gets to use all 3 Regi. And boy does Ash just not deal well with these things. Regirock tanks everything Sceptile throws at it despite the dirty tricks employed (going for the legs, burying him in ceiling rubble, hiding behind the referree) and then gets it in one blow with lock on - hyper beam.

But that was just a weird evil spirit. So after saving him (with help from Pikachu), he gives Ash another dressing down (fair) and tells him to not be an arrogant prick next time.

Several episodes later Ash tries again, but not before another ruin where Brandon find the location of a sealed chamber and still gives Ash some poo poo about the whole "was so arrogant you got possessed by an evil king" thing. Brandon uses a Registeel this time in a 1 v 1 against his Torkoal and just totally no sells everything except for this one time where Torkoal gets paralyzed and...passes that paralysis through Registeel? In return he does the equally weird thing of using sandstorm to make a sand tornado to pick up torkoal's heat wave???? There's no GIFs of the amount of spinning that goes on in this battle which is a shame, but it all ends thanks to lock on -> zap cannon.

Brandon does finally acknowledge that Ash improved and he'll happily face him again after another ruin trip. There's actually this whole mini-arc where they stick around the same area, the cast figures what they're going to do next and Ash tries to figure out how to get around lock on and settles on bringing in bulbasaur, squirtle & charizard. After some training there's no way they can lose!

Brandon comes back with his newly captured Regice, agrees to a 4v4 battle, and starts off by getting rid of Charizard with his...Dusclops. Shoutout to Ash forgetting Dusclops is a ghost type, trying to use Seismic Toss, causing the power up theme music to cut out and Dusclops to get the win. I think the writers figured going against all 3 Regi would probably be a bit much, so it's Dusclops, Ninjask, Solrock & Regice. It bleeds into another 2-episode battle and is pretty solid, they do a good job of showing Brandon's experience. Positioning, move combos, turning the arena into an ice rink, it's pretty varied. "Gathering the Gang of Four" and "Pace - the Final Frontier" if you're interested.
If you're wondering how Ash gets around lock on...he doesn't. Regice doesn't have it. Ice Beam, Blizzard, Focus Punch & Rest (no chesto berry though). This entire string of episodes had a big uptick in quality but the set up & follow through still leaves some desire. There's an interesting implication that Ash only beat Regice since it was so new: it was taking more hits and had ot heal off its damage, and might be why it didnt have a lock on combo. Ash also knocks Regice out in one Volt Tackle after a successful Rest which...

Brandon Ash and accepts loss with ease and he's happy that Ash improved so much. He doesn't even yell NOOO a single time, where as he did it like 6 times each other time.

But despite having 4 episodes all about him + several filler about preparing for him, Brandon's not done. He has the three Regi which means he gets to show up in Sinnoh!

Brandon is here to deal with waking up & capturing this absolute unit. Which doesn't go very well, because Regigigas wakes up, takes control of his Pokemon and causes everyone to go berserk and go on an unstoppable rampage out of the temple and into Snowpoint. We get to see Brandon in actual distress over his friends and has to do the whole "remember who you are" shtick. Its the only time we get to see him like this and it's fun to see it being done to 3 robots who have no faces to show actual emotion.

but also

He gets an entire episode where he trashes Ash's biggest rival, Paul. Before Paul came to Sinnoh, he followed his brother around and saw him lose hard to Brandon despite beating the rest of the Frontier. Unlike Ash, he let the loss go and went to be a Pokemon Breeder. But Paul resents the whole thing, loses his cool and that causes him to lose the battle as well. It's the only time we see Paul act like that, otherwise he's just kind of a cool headed jerk.
This was also a 6 vs 6 battle and Brandon only used his legends. Paul didn't KO a single one.

A lot of people think Brandon might be Paul's father due to their close resemblance, but it's never stated.

As for the Pyramid itself, its a giant, glassy pyramid THAT'S ALSO AN AIRSHIP? The four corner extend outwards and allow for giant turbines to take flight so it can move all over as needed. We even get to see the inside of it several times: there's the battle arena in the upper part of the pyramid, the tip of it opens into a sky light, the under portions are where regirock & steel hang out to handle intruders and there's a pilot are near the top as well.
Presumably Brandon lives in here and I believe keeps all the stuff he finds on display. By far the most realized of the actual facilities in this entire thing.

rannum fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 30, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Now for stuff I'm probably gonna change: I won't be putting videos in my Pokemon SSLPs anymore, it just didn't seem worth it. Sure, they didn't take particularly long to make and it's nice to have them, but with how little views they get and how they've got no commentary or any real spark in them just isn't interesting to me. Also, the next LP will help me a lot with this, but I think I need to show off battles more. There were A LOT of trainers in this game, nearly 500 before we even reached the Battle Frontier and I feel like I'm not showing off the fun stuff, just the trainer text, which doesn't seem that interesting. This was especially apparent in the FRLG stuff, where I barely showed our old team doing anything. It made me wonder why I was bringing them back to just show off trainer text, it just seemed a little pointless, but I did make those images quite a few months ago. Also the Victory Road update was pretty short and I could've given it more by showing off more battling. But is that something you're interested in seeing? Do you not care? Please let me know.

I think a little more battling pics to help spice up an update would be fine. But at the same time don't force yourself to show like..every thunderbolt or EVERY trainer battle in full detail.
Though this wont really be a problem in the gamecube games since there's less overall trainer battles and also the structure of the game(s) make it so there's more going on turn to turn. Colosseum in particular I remember having most of its trainers pull something on me, even if they didnt have a shadow pokemon.

Very looking forward to those LPs by the way, I have a big soft spot for them. And to an extent, they'll pair nicely with that Reborn LP OFS is doing.

quote:

Finally, please tell me of any kind of critique you have of how I write my commentary, how I present things, the image size and all that, I'm really getting into the swing of this stuff, but I want to make sure I don't fall into the trap of doing whatever I fancy and getting too up my own arse. Is my commentary getting too over the top? Too annoying? Too wacky or HEE-LARIOUS? Do you care about the Japanese side of things? Am I too descriptive in my mechanic talks? Not descriptive enough? I'm always interested in how you guys like my stuff!

Finally, a big thanks to all those who submitted ideas and Pokemon for the LP, especially to Onmi and rannum for their anime/manga write ups and to Explopyro for diving deeper into some mechanics than I ever would. Cheers to everyone for reading, watching, partaking and discussing, this has been great fun. Now, on to Orre!
I think your current style is just fine. Just enough mix of informative, summarizing, jokes and such. I also like how you handle battle facilities, in general.

And thank you for such a nice LP!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Is having a medical professional ask if you want "the usual" better or worse than them saying "We hope to see you again"?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

rannum posted:

Let's finish this up
Brandon & the Battle Pyramid[b]

Brandon was the final brain Ash went against and also, as you'd figure his toughest. Brandon's anime personality is being very stern, doesn't get frazzled, always yelling [b]NOOO!

You have a broken b tag here, namely, the b tag of the title is not closed. Great summaries though, I left the anime by the beginning of the Battle Frontier so this is all new to me.

Montegoraon posted:

Is having a medical professional ask if you want "the usual" better or worse than them saying "We hope to see you again"?

The latter is selfish and seems to wish for violence on your Pokemon, but the former feels downright insulting to you. I'm not sure.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
oh man I am so hype for proper Orre LPs on these here forums. I love those stupid, deeply flawed games, and possibly played more of them than any of the mainline games. The novelty of Pokemon 3-D models, always double battles, and the strategy involving the capture and purification of Shadow Pokemon just had me hooked.
Also, the weird set of Pokemon available provides a fascinating limit, and gives the sort of spotlight to Johto Pokemon that the gen 2 games never really did.
Also. doodoodoodoo-doo-doo! doodoodoodoo-doo-doo. ARRIBA!

Also, thanks for an amazing LP. Man, I didn't remember just how bullshit the Battle Frontier was, because I barely attempted any of it (pretty much just the Factory, Dome, and Arena). Platinum's Battle Frontier is actually better in every way, and it's mostly nostalgia that makes people think otherwise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So Pikachu can sometimes use electric attacks on Ground-types, but Seismic Toss still doesn't work on Ghosts.

Alright. :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

You have a broken b tag here, namely, the b tag of the title is not closed. Great summaries though, I left the anime by the beginning of the Battle Frontier so this is all new to me.

Ah, thanks, fixed. And glad you enjoyed them, it was fun going back and watching the episodes for these.
I was kind of ragging on the anime throughout, and while the BF saga in particular is a lot of missed opportunity I found the battles fairly enjoyable and May's contests were generally better here than in the hoenn saga proper. The last 10 or so episodes in particular are all pretty great and that carried over into the DP series through pretty much its entire 3 or 4 year run.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So Pikachu can sometimes use electric attacks on Ground-types, but Seismic Toss still doesn't work on Ghosts.

In fairness to the original series, "aim for the horn" was a cute way of getting around things at a time where abilities wasn't around. And the Onix was covered in water. And the donphan was.....w-well anyway the anime usually tries to stick closer to how typing works as time goes on.

Instead it tries to go for other, sometimes nonsensical interactions like what happened in Torkoal vs Registeel. They're still doing that, for that matter; the Valerie battle in XY Ash has Hawlucha literally break Trick Room apart.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, gently caress events. They're something I'll always hate about this franchise, and the fact that Nintendo/Game Freak bothered putting up a system through the internet then never used it, at least definitely not to the extent they should have, is irritating. Especially if you live outside the countries Nintendo cares about, as I do. It sucks.
So let's talk about Wish Chansey. It was a special Chansey that knew Wish and Sweet Scent and was only available in Fire Red and Leaf Green.

And by "Available" i mean "Was only distributed at the New York City Pokemon center for roughly 17 days" Also you had to get lucky enough to get a Chansey, there were a bunch of other pokemon(that also knew Wish) that you could get instead out of your mystery egg.

Why is this important?

Because there is no legitimate way for Chansey to know Wish outside of this event. And since it was a promotion for FR/LG games you could move tutor Seismic Toss onto the Chansey, which it also could not(at the time) learn any other way.

And then come generation 5 they changed Wish so that it heals for 50% of the user's hit points rather than the recipients and Oh yeah doesn't Blissy have the highest hit point total in the game?

There were definitely more Wishtoss Blisseys roaming around on the wifi than there were people who actually went to the NYC Pokemon center.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It did in generation 1!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kurieg posted:

So let's talk about Wish Chansey. It was a special Chansey that knew Wish and Sweet Scent and was only available in Fire Red and Leaf Green.

And by "Available" i mean "Was only distributed at the New York City Pokemon center for roughly 17 days" Also you had to get lucky enough to get a Chansey, there were a bunch of other pokemon(that also knew Wish) that you could get instead out of your mystery egg.

Why is this important?

Because there is no legitimate way for Chansey to know Wish outside of this event. And since it was a promotion for FR/LG games you could move tutor Seismic Toss onto the Chansey, which it also could not(at the time) learn any other way.

And then come generation 5 they changed Wish so that it heals for 50% of the user's hit points rather than the recipients and Oh yeah doesn't Blissy have the highest hit point total in the game?

There were definitely more Wishtoss Blisseys roaming around on the wifi than there were people who actually went to the NYC Pokemon center.

It did in generation 1!
I think stuff like this is why gen 6 started having the "native" symbol on Pokemon. It cleans up all the old weird super limited events.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm glad we've had the anime and manga stuff, since I'd forgotten how whack some of it was. Especially the anime, the BF arc was cool, but man did it waste potential. Should've just kept the series in Hoenn, going to Kanto for it was pretty darn pointless for the most part.

And events suck, but boy are they fun to hack in and show off.

The Orre LPs will go up tomorrow, but note that I'll have a no spoiler policy, so try not to discuss them too much in this thread before we make the jump.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I'm glad we've had the anime and manga stuff, since I'd forgotten how whack some of it was. Especially the anime, the BF arc was cool, but man did it waste potential. Should've just kept the series in Hoenn, going to Kanto for it was pretty darn pointless for the most part.

Lets Go Eevee/Pikachu will probably force Ash back to Kanto (I think he did say he wanted to try the league again...) so maybe we'll get the fanservice the BF arc probably should have provided.

Like, the Battle Arena is right next to Saffron City. And the BA is a fighting dojo. And they just did nothing with this! There were a few episodes *in* Saffron and one was a contest and the other was a ramen pasta battle.
The Battle Pyramid's second & third matches are in & near the Indigo Plataeu, but you see nothing of the anime's league arenas or olympic village or what have you
I'm firmly in the "please leave kanto alone" camp these days but if you're going to go there anyway, roll out that fanservice.

Outside of Pallet/Viridian/Pewter/Cerulean chunk of Kanto the only other reference was inexpliacbly

The top of this skyscraper in the filler town of Hophophop Town is referenced in an entirely different unnamed filler town in BF (featuring a...scizor who doodles on pokemon's faces)

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Thanks for the LP! I really enjoyed the background information about missed events/Japanese version differences/hacking and competitive details. All that stuff just flew by me when I played RSE years ago. Adding the commentary provided a nice spin to games I have a lot of nostalgia for.

To be honest, the Orre games are some of my most favorite in the whole series (though I haven’t played Sun/Moon and never finished the Hoenn remakes). There’s a lot of unique stuff about them, and I loved using Johto Pokémon in my teams. Looking forward to it!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

rannum posted:

Lets Go Eevee/Pikachu will probably force Ash back to Kanto (I think he did say he wanted to try the league again...) so maybe we'll get the fanservice the BF arc probably should have provided.

Like, the Battle Arena is right next to Saffron City. And the BA is a fighting dojo. And they just did nothing with this! There were a few episodes *in* Saffron and one was a contest and the other was a ramen pasta battle.
The Battle Pyramid's second & third matches are in & near the Indigo Plataeu, but you see nothing of the anime's league arenas or olympic village or what have you
I'm firmly in the "please leave kanto alone" camp these days but if you're going to go there anyway, roll out that fanservice.

Outside of Pallet/Viridian/Pewter/Cerulean chunk of Kanto the only other reference was inexpliacbly

The top of this skyscraper in the filler town of Hophophop Town is referenced in an entirely different unnamed filler town in BF (featuring a...scizor who doodles on pokemon's faces)

Isn't that the skyscraper where Team Rocket try to kidnap a Hypno?

I only remember it for this exchange:

"Why didn't we do this earlier?"
"We had to fill out the half-hour."

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Another LP put to bed, and what a great one it was. I really missed out on a lot of stuff in this gen having only played ORAS, not the originals, so thanks for showing that off. I'm also 2/2 for my Pokemon actually being useful in your attemps at Battle Something, so that's cool :v: I acutally enjoy you skipping battles in favor of the trainer text - somehow I am a huge sucker for this and in a SSLP it's hard to keep Pokemon battling interesting when half of 500 trainers use like 25 Pokemon (or something like 10 total if you're Team Magma/Aqua). I think your formula is very good, with Side Notes and stuff I feel like I get the ultimate complete Pokemon experience. Especially with the regional stuff and whatnot, it's so great to have someone explain it in a manner that's comprehensible and a light read that isn't "let's copy Bulbapedia word for word".

Can't wait for the games I keep hearing good stuff about but never played cause getting a Gamecube in my country is still a pain in the rear end - I think Nintendo literally didn't have an official distributor around here on GC launch :v: On that note I will be missing videos of the battles, cause I haven't seen the games in action yet, but it's your decision.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Isn't that the skyscraper where Team Rocket try to kidnap a Hypno?

I only remember it for this exchange:

"Why didn't we do this earlier?"
"We had to fill out the half-hour."

Yes, it's a bunch of high class socialites who have trouble sleeping so they use Hypno & Drowzee to get to sleep. After one of their drowzee evolved, the (mumblemumbledreamwavesmumble) react with children in the city and make them think they';re Pokemon and run away.

None of this is mentioned or referenced in the BF episode

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I have never played an Orre game but I know a lot of people who get really excited about shadow pokemon, so it'll be interesting to see how they're actually used instead of being edgy oc fodder.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Thanks again for the awesome LP! Can't wait to see you tackle the GameCube titles! I rented Colosseum as a kid but didn't beat it, and never played XD, so it'll be some new ground that I look forward to seeing!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The Orre games should be very good, I've personally been playing through them with patches that add in the Physical/Special split. I'm glad the manga updates could be enjoyed, I really did gloss over a tonne of RS (And didn't cover E because it's bad and they should feel bad) and I'm a little upset I miss Crystal since I never got to talk about Gold.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Onmi posted:

The Orre games should be very good, I've personally been playing through them with patches that add in the Physical/Special split. I'm glad the manga updates could be enjoyed, I really did gloss over a tonne of RS (And didn't cover E because it's bad and they should feel bad) and I'm a little upset I miss Crystal since I never got to talk about Gold.

You got names of those patches? I don't like dealing with the classic physical/special differences these days.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

You got names of those patches? I don't like dealing with the classic physical/special differences these days.

https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/38582-pokemon-xd-physicalspecial-split-patch/
XD's one

I cannot seem to find the Colosseum one.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm really looking forward to the next LP! I've never played the Orre games, so this will be completely new for me.

I liked the format you settled into by the end of the LP. Not every trainer battle is worthwhile or even interesting, and you capture the important parts: showing how your team is growing. To me, Pokemon is about raising a team of friends to their highest potential, so battles are just a means to an end. So only showing the results of the battle and any new pokemon works fine for me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

Since Orre covers Johto Pokemon, why not talk about it there?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crosspeice posted:

And events suck, but boy are they fun to hack in and show off.

The Orre LPs will go up tomorrow, but note that I'll have a no spoiler policy, so try not to discuss them too much in this thread before we make the jump.

Going to Kanto was likely an order from Game Freak, since you know, FRLG. Gotta sell those too, and considering the Battle Frontier was basically filler until the next arc, they could put that in there easily. Too bad they didn't do much with it.

Also, tomorrow!? You just don't rest, do you?

Kikas posted:

Can't wait for the games I keep hearing good stuff about but never played cause getting a Gamecube in my country is still a pain in the rear end - I think Nintendo literally didn't have an official distributor around here on GC launch :v: On that note I will be missing videos of the battles, cause I haven't seen the games in action yet, but it's your decision.

I'm surprised that was an issue. My country (Argentina) hasn't had any contact with Nintendo for well over a decade at this point (last time I remember Nintendo existed here was when I was but a child, playing on my Nintendo 64 Super Smash Bros., they had a whole thing here with arcade cabinets (with N64s) and I bought a Gameboy Printer...I'm not sure why) yet consoles arrive with no issue.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I will say I kind of wish you had detailed the leader rematches a bit more here & in HGSS. Some of the teams are pretty interesting. I can't blame you for not detailing all of them, though. I mean HGSS had 16 of the things.
Like Bugsy brings out a Shedinja. Lt Surge devotes a team slot to a Pachirisu & that's fantastic.. Brock...keeps his Onix still, because he's gota theme dang it.
Roxanne basically turns into Brock 3.0: she gets Kabutops, Omastar, an Onix (that becomes a steelix), evolves his Graveler.
Or how the early leaders take like 3 of their 4 matches to get up to post-game levels. Roxanne's first is with unevovled pokemon at level 35
All the Emerald leader rematches are also double battles. I mean that was shown in your screenshots, but I find it notable because that's something they never did again.

Course that doesn't really matter moving forward since the only other game with proper rematches is...Platinum.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Another fantastic LP. I actually had a legit Jirachi. One of the kids at my school had the special disk. He was very popular for a week or so. I don't even have that Ruby cartridge anymore though, a real tragedy. I can't wait to see Colosseum and honestly more excited about Gale of Darkness. I've beaten Colosseum and loved it to bits, but I've never really experienced much of XD. Which is strange because I love Lugia, but I guess it just passed me by.

I think the toughest thing is battles. Reading a bunch of battles tend to make my eyes glaze over. Mechanics breakdowns and things like that help break it up, but there's only so much you can do.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Thanks for an awesome LP of my favourite generation, Crosspeice! I never played the GC games so I'm looking forward to the next one.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The Birth Island stuff is cool, because while next to no one who played FR/LG or Emerald got access to it, it didn't stop Game Freak from giving a call back to the triangle in Episode Delta in ORAS.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's keep this gravy train rolling with my next LP over here! Thanks for a great LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Thanks for another fantastic LP, Crosspiece! And now, off to the shenanigans of the GC Pokemon games!

• Locked thread