Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FWIW, I go spells of multiple months where I get exactly the same sort of survey with no right choices. I always answer honestly.

I do also go through dry spells where I don't get much, but I can't say it's correlated with me answering those surveys honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Mogomra posted:

I used to get a lot of surveys, then at some point last year or something I started getting all sorts of "which place did you visit recently" surveys where I didn't go to any of the choices*. After a week or so of answering honestly, the surveys dried up. Now I'll get 1-3 a month. That might even be an over estimate.

* There would usually be at least one choice that was like across the street or down the road from where I actually went. I often wonder if I should have just answered with those options to appease the google survey fun bux gods.

tldr: I used to get a lot of surveys like you, until I took an arrow to the knee.

I've been getting those at least 1-2 times a day. But the choices are always something I drove by, but not stopped at. I always answer honestly, and always get 10 cents.

I've mostly been getting Youtube suggestions recently. It will show me a youtube video suggestion and ask if it was a good suggestion or not. Generally get 35-50 cents for answering.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I need an app that can track my data usage over a three month period. My plan is three months at a time thing where I have a 18gb cap, and MIUI on my phone looks like it can only do one month at a time.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Does your provider offer an app? A lot of them do

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tsyni posted:

I need an app that can track my data usage over a three month period. My plan is three months at a time thing where I have a 18gb cap, and MIUI on my phone looks like it can only do one month at a time.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

My Data Manager should let you track for different times than just a month, I used to make use of it when I had a much stricter data plan: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&hl=en

If you ever get another phone that isn't stuck with MIUI though, it's been standard in Android settings app (including in the Samsung variant) to check over your past 4 months of data usage before it gets purged.

Also, your provider may have a code you can dial and they'll text you back with how much data you used and how much is left. Eg, I dial *3282# on my AT&T phone and get back: my total used as a text.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mogomra posted:

I used to get a lot of surveys, then at some point last year or something I started getting all sorts of "which place did you visit recently" surveys where I didn't go to any of the choices*. After a week or so of answering honestly, the surveys dried up. Now I'll get 1-3 a month. That might even be an over estimate.

* There would usually be at least one choice that was like across the street or down the road from where I actually went. I often wonder if I should have just answered with those options to appease the google survey fun bux gods.

tldr: I used to get a lot of surveys like you, until I took an arrow to the knee.

I'm pretty sure that one is used for location tracking verification. "We saw your phone near this address yesterday" type of stuff.

I get them all the time for the place I park for my van pool. I always say yes, and that I didn't make a payment.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

They also added a "I was there but didn't go in" type answer

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, there's a "Just passed by" answer now which works great for me. My office is next to a strip mall and I walk almost daily at lunch up and down the length, so I get multiple surveys a week of "were you at Target?"

What's fun is even when I answered "just passed by" it asked me if I had a receipt to take a picture of.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

What's fun is even when I answered "just passed by" it asked me if I had a receipt to take a picture of.

Toll sidewalks incoming. :tinfoil:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Freedom isn't free

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, there's a "Just passed by" answer now which works great for me. My office is next to a strip mall and I walk almost daily at lunch up and down the length, so I get multiple surveys a week of "were you at Target?"

It's funny how Google geniuses can write magic software that detects your proximity to advertisers, but not understand that humans sometimes walk past commerce without being shoppers

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yesterday, there was a major incident that closed two routes home.

Waze was trying to take me on one of the closed routes because it knew my normal route was closed.

Google Maps knew the 2nd route was closed, but wanted to take me home the normal, currently closed, route.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
So I recently got an Honor 9 and it's great, except that the alarm/stopwatch interface is godawful. You have to manually spin dials. I tried to find an alternative clock app that lets me instantly type my desired times or at least uses a better interface like the analog clock I had on my old OnePlus One, but the Google Clock app has me tap the hours, type the hours, tap the minutes, type the minutes, which is dumb, and I hate the Timely animations. Any suggestions?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Timely works great and looks good, too.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Timely works great and looks good, too.

Timely is the best

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Terrorforge posted:

I hate the Timely animations

The app looks useful and all, but I have weird sensory hangups and the way the digits and UI elements morph and undulate makes me wanna barf.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

uses a better interface like the analog clock I had on my old OnePlus One

This is how you set alarms in the Google clock app tho?

You can tap the keyboard icon and just type the time in too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AMdroid is the best.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also you could just download the oneplus clock app

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/oneplus-ltd/oneplus-clock/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't even touch or look at anything to set alarms.

"Hey Google..."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

"Hey Google..."

The correct answer

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm old and still don't trust my phone with important alarms, so I use the alarm clock I bought 15 years ago. :colbert:

(as long as my phone continues to forget to alert me of calendar reminders, I will continue not trusting it.)

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Blue Train posted:

This is how you set alarms in the Google clock app tho?

You can tap the keyboard icon and just type the time in too

I downloaded the app, and for me it looks like this:

I've tried to make it look like yours, but I can't find anything.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

Probably a server side switch. Google loves those

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Possibly, I definitely remember that interface but can't remember if it switched randomly or if it was an os update. I use oreo fwiw

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

"Hey Google..."

I don't need Google knowing about my masturbation alarms

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

vyst posted:

I don't need Google knowing about my masturbation alarms

They know.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zH9Zca1vRM

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Terrorforge posted:

What OS version are you on? I think it just uses the standard platform time picker. Your one looks like it did on Gingerbread but I can't remember exactly when it changed.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Tunga posted:

What OS version are you on? I think it just uses the standard platform time picker. Your one looks like it did on Gingerbread but I can't remember exactly when it changed.

7.0 Nougat. But now that thanks to you I know what that UI element is actually called, I was able to google the issues and it seems to be a problem endemic to the Honor series of phones.

However, there was an Oreo-based update available that I just installed, and while the default Honor clock is still bad and dumb, the google clock I downloaded now uses the less dumb watchface system. Is there a way to just set that as the default clock app that opens when I tap the time and whatnot?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

7.0 Nougat. But now that thanks to you I know what that UI element is actually called, I was able to google the issues and it seems to be a problem endemic to the Honor series of phones.

However, there was an Oreo-based update available that I just installed, and while the default Honor clock is still bad and dumb, the google clock I downloaded now uses the less dumb watchface system. Is there a way to just set that as the default clock app that opens when I tap the time and whatnot?

If you're setting timers and stuff through assistant it will say the timer and have clock underneath it, you can tap that to select which app is used by default. For the home screen widget I don't think there's a way, on the mate se there isn't. You'd need to install a different launcher or different widget

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Blue Train posted:

If you're setting timers and stuff through assistant it will say the timer and have clock underneath it, you can tap that to select which app is used by default. For the home screen widget I don't think there's a way, on the mate se there isn't. You'd need to install a different launcher or different widget

I didn't even know what Google Assistant was until I googled it just now. But now that I do know I think I'll start using it, seems way better than slapping my greasy mitts all over my phone while cooking.

And I should probably look into a different launcher anyway. Thanks for the help, guys.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
SwiftKey has a beta feature that recommends emoji based on what you have typed. It's actually pretty dope! Like, type "Merry Christmas" and it shows emoji for Xmas trees and Santa and such. It's like a glorified filter. I like it much better than when they were showing emoji with the predictions and it's easier than scrolling through every single emoji to get to the one you want.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gboard does that too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got an amazing 1.40€ from google rewards since 2016 so I guess Google is scared of EU privacy laws.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Is pocketcasts still the podcast app of choice? I've used beyondpod for like ten years and until recently it's always worked well enough but it's started being really inconsistent about downloading metadata. As far as I can tell development on it is virtually abandoned so I'm open to a switch.

Does pocketcasts let you set up rules to auto populate a playlist? I currently have one that puts new episodes from feeds tagged "news" at the top, then goes through everything else in release order and puts the oldest five episodes from feeds tagged "backlog" at the end. Hoping this is a basic feature these days. Also did I hear something about pocketcasts being bought out?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Party Boat posted:

Is pocketcasts still the podcast app of choice? I've used beyondpod for like ten years and until recently it's always worked well enough but it's started being really inconsistent about downloading metadata. As far as I can tell development on it is virtually abandoned so I'm open to a switch.

Does pocketcasts let you set up rules to auto populate a playlist? I currently have one that puts new episodes from feeds tagged "news" at the top, then goes through everything else in release order and puts the oldest five episodes from feeds tagged "backlog" at the end. Hoping this is a basic feature these days. Also did I hear something about pocketcasts being bought out?

NPR bought Pocketcasts. PocketCasts is a great app, but I'm not really sure it'll have the hardcore filtering and playlist features you're looking for - it's not really that type of app.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
My girlfriend works for a blood donation company and she needs something better than a pen, paper, scanner, and manual input to sign up donors. Initially I considered using Excel forms to do this, but if there's an app out there that does this it would be really nice. The donors would need to be able to pick a time slot that hasn't been taken already, as well as input their necessary information. Is there anything out there close to this?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Katosabi posted:

My girlfriend works for a blood donation company and she needs something better than a pen, paper, scanner, and manual input to sign up donors. Initially I considered using Excel forms to do this, but if there's an app out there that does this it would be really nice. The donors would need to be able to pick a time slot that hasn't been taken already, as well as input their necessary information. Is there anything out there close to this?
Google Forms might work, not sure about the timeslot part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Is there a good image editing/annotating app out there? I'm mostly looking to do things like cropping, adding annotations (Arrows, etc.) in screenshots and photos. I've used Pixlr, but I'm not a huge fan and am guessing there's something better.