Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

tudabee posted:

I finally got around to watching Dan's Fifty Shades video and I really appreciate that he brings up its fanfiction origins beyond the "lol fanfiction" that most do.

I find fanart as a medium strangely fascinating, but there seems to be little critical discussion about it outside maybe as a vehicle for female power fantasy. But from the start, as Dan mentions, it had a huge social component not just among fans but between fans and the authors because the authors themselves are also "just fans" of the original work. Then you get things like AUs that might be used by multiple people and it's an interesting source of communal storytelling. And drama, of course, but that's just people.

So.. Thanks (unironically) for making me think about fanart, Dan!

I mean, tbh, the entire concept of "canon" and "official" works vs "fan" works is kind of hosed. Fanfiction of books is one of the few areas where the number of people who really meaningfully make it (one or two) is small and influential enough that a fanfic is glaringly, unambiguously different from a sequel. Like, the only real difference between, say, the Han Solo movie and SW fanfiction is who owns the license and that's really tied up in our societal ideas about IP. Even The Empire Strikes back was done by very different people than ANH as far as editors and director goes. It's actually kind of interesting to think about how our modern concept of "ownership" really draws a clear line between "fan works" and "real sequels" that's actually really blurry in practice.

Of course, that's a really shallow discussion of it. For instance, "fanfiction" is a genre of its own right, with its own genre conventions and contrivances that sort of bleed over the tone of the "official" property, and the "official" sequels ostensibly (but not always) have some concept of quality control fanfic doesn't (fanfic being self-published and fanfic communities being largely open to post on outside certain content censorship boundaries). But fundamentally you hit a ship of Theseus with even straight up sequels to any collaborative artform, much less adaptations or spinoffs or reboots or reinterpretations. Dan kind of touches on this with his "there are a million Batman spinoffs with Batman as a knight or..." thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

For the vast majority of human history, we didn't really have a concept of "fanfiction" or even strictly of owning creative work. People just grabbed stories and characters willy-nilly and put their own spins on them. It wasn't until the advent of the printing press (and its ability to quickly make copies of a work for sale) that the western world started to think about creators' ownership rights, which arguably led to the current situation where we believe in a separation between the writer of a published work and the writer of a work on Wattpad.

It's kind of a bummer, because, as Dan points out, fanfic lets a writer get to the important stuff without taking time establishing everything, which allows creative access for writers who are better at, say, plot or snappy dialog than character creation or worldbuilding. (Not that all or even most fanfic is done by brilliant authors, but that's neither here nor there.) It's also a shame that some really skilled writers can't have their work compensated or more widely distributed because they're working with someone else's IP.

Though, as a creative myself, I have to admit that I wouldn't be too keen to just throw all my stuff to the public domain winds. At least not in the current political and economic climate. I guess it's just kind of unfortunate that a lot of valid art gets tossed aside solely because of a weird distinction that didn't exist until really recently in history.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just call it a spec script and people will suddenly respect it

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Puppy Time posted:

For the vast majority of human history, we didn't really have a concept of "fanfiction" or even strictly of owning creative work. People just grabbed stories and characters willy-nilly and put their own spins on them. It wasn't until the advent of the printing press (and its ability to quickly make copies of a work for sale) that the western world started to think about creators' ownership rights, which arguably led to the current situation where we believe in a separation between the writer of a published work and the writer of a work on Wattpad.

Oh definitely, I wasn't trying to come at it from a perspective of "ownership" so much as I guess "spiritual consistency." Like going into a work with a similar ethos, background, and mindset more than just IP ownership, which is why I emphasized novels as one of the few areas where this may soooorta apply. Even in antiquity authorship could be important, not for ownership but for classifying themes or tone or whatever else between multiple pieces by the same person. I feel like a continuity of authorship does mean something at least (not good or bad, just as a matter of fact), it's just essentially meaningless with dealing with so-called sequels or spinoffs in the vast majority of massively collaborative projects like film, TV, or (most) games.

It's also actually comical that we demean fanfiction and then have a straight faced discussion about BBC Sherlock vs the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movie vs Elementary. Like, it really doesn't matter who "owns" a property, if people were allowed to openly and widely publish and distribute this sort of derivative work we'd still discuss them on their merits like we do the billions of Sherlock Holmes adaptations. It would just be "Meyer Twilight" vs "Leonard Twilight" vs "Taylor-Johnson/Marcel Twilight" instead of this weird, often even nonsensical authorship/fanfiction divide we have now.

Now, whether this is tenable when people can hijack your work to turn the lead into a Nazi symbol or you need to sell sequels to survive in our capitalist hellscape is another matter entirely, I'm speaking somewhat in the abstract more than advocating a specific action like "repealing IP laws by next year" or whatever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tbh there is something fun about playing in someone else’s sandbox for a bit. I’ve been fascinated by fan films since I was little, and they sparked some weird creative spark in me seeing all these people try and make a film that looks like some big hollywood movie while filming outside an office building.

It was like watching with your imagination turned on.

But the downside of fan films is you can be so loving lazy and just fill it with fan service and no story and fans will slurp that poo poo up. Like that Darth Maul fan film where he fights by some rocks.

That being said, I’m sure it was a fun shoot and everyone was probably giddy as hell when it was done.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I mean, tbh, the entire concept of "canon" and "official" works vs "fan" works is kind of hosed. Fanfiction of books is one of the few areas where the number of people who really meaningfully make it (one or two) is small and influential enough that a fanfic is glaringly, unambiguously different from a sequel. Like, the only real difference between, say, the Han Solo movie and SW fanfiction is who owns the license and that's really tied up in our societal ideas about IP. Even The Empire Strikes back was done by very different people than ANH as far as editors and director goes. It's actually kind of interesting to think about how our modern concept of "ownership" really draws a clear line between "fan works" and "real sequels" that's actually really blurry in practice.

Of course, that's a really shallow discussion of it. For instance, "fanfiction" is a genre of its own right, with its own genre conventions and contrivances that sort of bleed over the tone of the "official" property, and the "official" sequels ostensibly (but not always) have some concept of quality control fanfic doesn't (fanfic being self-published and fanfic communities being largely open to post on outside certain content censorship boundaries). But fundamentally you hit a ship of Theseus with even straight up sequels to any collaborative artform, much less adaptations or spinoffs or reboots or reinterpretations. Dan kind of touches on this with his "there are a million Batman spinoffs with Batman as a knight or..." thing.

A book that I read for the video but just couldn't find a good pull quote from is Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over The World by Anne Jamison touches on both these subjects at length. Really good read, just not very quotable.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I think there are a couple of different reasons for why fanfic is seen as so low-quality, and neither of them have to do with their being anything inherently wrong with the concept.

Firstly, there’s the fact that fanfic is a convenient crutch for lazy writers who don’t want to bother coming up with their own characters and ideas, and this laziness results in poor writing overall. I’m not saying all fanfic authors are like this, but those writers who do fit this description tend to gravitate towards fanfic because a lot of the hard work has been done for them, including building up an audience. Likewise, when a writer gains more experience and develops their skills, they’ll naturally move towards showing off those skills by creating their own original works, thus graduating from fanfic just as they stop sucking.

I don’t personally understand this mindset, by the way. I’ve always wanted to write but the whole point of it was to tell by own story, not someone else’s. My first attempt at writing a novel turned out to be a steaming pile of crap but at least I can look back on it and say it was my steaming pile of crap.

Secondly, although this is related to the first idea, fans who aren’t mature enough to really understand a work tend to make a lot of mistakes when adapting it, turning it into a distorted version of itself. Characters behave wildly out of character, disliked plot points in the original are clumsily retconned, the themes and subtext are ignored or overturned and so on. The heart and soul of the work, whatever made it popular in the first place, is gone. Even other fans might not like it if it doesn’t pander to their own interpretation of the original. A normal story has a lot of freedom but a fanfic is always going to be constrained by the limits of the original as well as being contrasted against it, which is more than what most inexperienced writers can handle.

Note the focus on “inexperienced” writers here. These problems aren’t insurmountable, which is why professionals can get away with stuff that’s technically fanfiction, but it takes a specific skillset to do it right. And that’s on top of the skills every writer already needs. These clueless people posting their poo poo on Deviantart are like someone who has never ridden a bicycle before trying to enter the Tour de France.

On a related note, The Dom recently posted a review of a terrible Harry Potter fan film. I was very wary going into this because he’s in his stupid gimmick persona, but it wasn’t overly distracting this time and I was amused by the fact that this basically turned the review itself into a terrible Harry Potter fan film.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Something to consider is that many fic authors aren't terribly interested in writing as its own craft. They come to fanfiction as fan first and last, and writing is merely the process necessary to make their ideas real. This is exactly the same issue with many fan film: the lack of interest in the craft of filmmaking with filmmaking being merely the exercise that needs to be done to make the thing exist.

I mean, look at Doug: he has no interest in filmmaking, only in his ideas being real. The craft is little more than a chore that must be endured.

Also a lot of people write fic because it's good practice, or because it's a means to engage with a community of fellow creatives, or because they found they were good at it and thus find it entertaining and fulfilling even if they have no desire to move on to ""real"" writing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I mean, I think the most toxic thing about fanfiction that really gets them the most flak (aside from "it's a womz thing") is that it's in that dark part of nerddom where people construct their entire identity around what media they like. Fanfiction is where you get the really dark side of "I am a <x> fan and a <y> fan and that is my primary identity" with all the baggage that comes with that. It leads to a lot of infighting, hugboxing, feuding, and cliquishness. Of course, it's not inherent to fanfiction as a concept, but it's heavily aligned with the current climate of fanfiction as it exists on the internet.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

everyone should watch Chris Conley's Star Wars fan film, that's all I'll say

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I made a fan film recently, p sure I’ve brought it up here before. It wasn’t easier than doing my own work at all. It was harder than anything I’ve ever made because you put limitations on yourself due to keeping true to the source. Which is a decent exorcise, and can be rewarding in its own weird way...but you can’t really dig in and let loose with it because then you lose what it’s supposed to be and what’s the point in doing it after that?

I never understood those kinds of fan fiction where they simply take a character and change everything about them except their name. At that point it’s just lazy name usage rather than lazy story telling.

That being said, if your world isn’t character specific, then I think the possibilities are endless. Like Star Wars you have a setting that can house trillions of characters and you don’t need to rely on existing ones to tell a good story. Or even with Predator or Alien. You just need the creatures and they’re hardly characters. They’re just a framework to hang a story off of.

It’s easier to have fun with it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I've always thought of Fanfiction as a way to express ideas that naturally arise from the original work but would not be functionally explorable in the original source material. This is why the first thing I think of when I think "fanfiction," is the X-wing novels. Relatively gritty politically oriented Clancy-ish military fiction is not compatible with the kind of story Star Wars portrayed in the films, but it is something that would naturally come to mind given some of the parts of the world on display, so "fanfiction," becomes the natural outlet inspiration. A couple decades later we get Rogue One, a film that probably never would have been made without those novels being written and proving the world could handle such stories.

The infamous Star Trek/X-men crossover novel Planet X is another example that comes readily to my mind. For all that it is poorly written dross, at it's core is a desire to explore the thematic connections between the two universes; questions of racial tolerance, the undying belief in peaceful resolutions to seemingly intractable problems and humanity working toward a better future in the face of adversity. Neither franchise could have supported the experiment "in canon," so fanfiction becomes the only way for such an exploration to happen.

You could argue I'm stacking the deck by including officially licensed expanded universe materials in my definition of fanfiction, but I personally don't see a meaningful distinction between such things an a fanfic.net story. In the end they're both playing with someone else's toys.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
A lot of fanfiction isn't even based on fictional works. RPF (real person fiction) seems to be written about basically any group of celebrities with a big enough following.

When looking up what people wrote RPF for these days I found a bunch of chinese language Steven Colbert/Jon Stewart fanfiction which is probably the strangest thing I've seen online in a while. Though I think it's mostly for boy bands and the casts of TV shows or movies .

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Sanguinia posted:

I've always thought of Fanfiction as a way to express ideas that naturally arise from the original work but would not be functionally explorable in the original source material. This is why the first thing I think of when I think "fanfiction," is the X-wing novels. Relatively gritty politically oriented Clancy-ish military fiction is not compatible with the kind of story Star Wars portrayed in the films, but it is something that would naturally come to mind given some of the parts of the world on display, so "fanfiction," becomes the natural outlet inspiration. A couple decades later we get Rogue One, a film that probably never would have been made without those novels being written and proving the world could handle such stories.

The infamous Star Trek/X-men crossover novel Planet X is another example that comes readily to my mind. For all that it is poorly written dross, at it's core is a desire to explore the thematic connections between the two universes; questions of racial tolerance, the undying belief in peaceful resolutions to seemingly intractable problems and humanity working toward a better future in the face of adversity. Neither franchise could have supported the experiment "in canon," so fanfiction becomes the only way for such an exploration to happen.

You could argue I'm stacking the deck by including officially licensed expanded universe materials in my definition of fanfiction, but I personally don't see a meaningful distinction between such things an a fanfic.net story. In the end they're both playing with someone else's toys.

Fanfiction can also be used to explore ideas that would be possible within the regular canon, but just wasn't thought of by the original author, either because it didn't occur to them or because the original author just didn't want to go in that direction. Mark Waid and Geoff Johns are regarded as writing good Flash comics, but they have their preferences for which parts of the comics that they focus on. One notable example is that Waid hated the Rogues, a specific group of Flash villains, and rarely used them in his stories, while Johns loved the Rogues and greatly expanded on their characters and role within the Flash canon.

In some cases it might be better to just write the fanfic instead of tweaking the story to make it more original, depending on how much you would need to keep in order to have the ideas you want to explore still available.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

If you want to look at fan fiction that isn't as stigmatized or in different ways, look to modding of computer games. It's basically the same thing except it can actually be inserted into the original work, like if you wrote a chapter of fan fiction that could easily be stapled into the book. Now of course the more female coded stuff like romance mods is generally more stigmatized than the stuff that's "neutral"/male coded but despite being basically the same it's treated very differently than regular fan fiction.

I'd almost consider speedrunning in this since it's basically just modding the social rules around the game instead of the software ones and since it's a template that is applied to a lot of different games it's basically the equivalent of a coffee shop or high school AU fanfiction, you take parts of the work and put it in a different context.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

and i must meme posted:

I found a bunch of chinese language Steven Colbert/Jon Stewart fanfiction

I can't stop cracking up over this sentence.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think a lot of it comes down to how easy it is for a higher quality fanfiction to just change the names and other obvious bits to make an original piece of fiction and not bother to keep it associated as fanfiction. Whereas even the highest quality mod will have difficulty disguising that it's built from another game's bones.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

and i must meme posted:

A lot of fanfiction isn't even based on fictional works. RPF (real person fiction) seems to be written about basically any group of celebrities with a big enough following.

When looking up what people wrote RPF for these days I found a bunch of chinese language Steven Colbert/Jon Stewart fanfiction which is probably the strangest thing I've seen online in a while. Though I think it's mostly for boy bands and the casts of TV shows or movies .

Jenny Nicholson (I think it was her) posted on twitter a while ago about a genre of fanfiction where the author writes a first-person account of being sold by their parents as a sex slave to One Direction. It seemed kind of like the tip of an iceberg I really don’t want to know about.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
Yeah, when I was looking through the RPF tag on AO3 earlier I found that there was a 'Columbine - Fandom' tag which made me check out pretty quickly.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Bakeneko posted:

Firstly, there’s the fact that fanfic is a convenient crutch for lazy writers who don’t want to bother coming up with their own characters and ideas, and this laziness results in poor writing overall.

There's a big problem with calling this "lazy," which I alluded to in my previous post: there are a lot of different skillsets in writing, and the vast majority of writers are going to have problems with at least a few of them. However, this isn't a natural state, in terms of how humans have told stories for most of history: normally, you'll find a variety of tales featuring stock characters, many of them involving similar events, just with variations according to region, time, who's doing the telling, etc. Hell, many of the greatest works of literature are, by this definition, fanfic, because the writer wasn't especially interested in coming up with their own characters.* William fukken Shakespeare himself used preexisting characters and stories pretty much exclusively, and nobody's calling him lazy!

Like, yeah, there are lazy writers in fanfic, but that has nothing to do with originality, as you can see if you look at the majority of junk in any random publisher's slush pile. By privileging "originality" in terms of IP, we're blowing off so many story types that are completely valid, and ignoring the fact that "can establish characters and setting" is not the only or even the most important skill in writing. It's an added barrier to entry that doesn't filter for quality at all, just selects against certain kinds of stories. It's equivalent to calling all stories not set in fantasy worlds "lazy" because the writers don't want to bother coming up with their own settings. Just like not every story needs a Middle Earth, not every story needs original characters, and many benefit from not needing to spend the time establishing who's involved.

* If we had to filter out classic literature by this setting, for example, we'd remove not only basically the entirety of Shakespeare, but also Dante's Divine Comedy, all of Arthurian literature, nearly every fairy tale, most of mythology... you get the picture.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Oh definitely, I wasn't trying to come at it from a perspective of "ownership" so much as I guess "spiritual consistency."

Oh, yeah, my post wasn't a response to yours, I just have Opinions about fanfic, IP, and the ways we think about them.

ETA:

CelticPredator posted:

I never understood those kinds of fan fiction where they simply take a character and change everything about them except their name. At that point it’s just lazy name usage rather than lazy story telling.

My guess would be either "basically just using the character as an actor" or "I know that fan work gets more audience than original work." Or just the fact that, within fanwork culture, characters can get so altered by popular opinion and trends that they get reduced to a kind of archetypal idea, rather than the collection of actual traits non-fans think of.

It's fascinatingly similar to the kind of stock characters you'll see in Commedia dell'arte or the Reynard fables; there's a tendency to see characters in terms of their roles within the narrative, and those roles often come with a bunch of ideas attached that may not actually be evident in the story itself. (I recall seeing a complaint a while back about Star Wars slashfics commonly depicting Hux with a battery of traits- generally perfectionism and neatness related- that have no evidence in canon at all, but are part of a fandom tradition of writing the role of Pretty Gay White Man.)

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 30, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

business hammocks posted:

Jenny Nicholson (I think it was her) posted on twitter a while ago about a genre of fanfiction where the author writes a first-person account of being sold by their parents as a sex slave to One Direction. It seemed kind of like the tip of an iceberg I really don’t want to know about.

And I thought being trapped in an island with Josh Hutchinson was bad.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I Before E posted:

And I thought being trapped in an island with Josh Hutchinson was bad.

People discovering a place to share their fetishes tends to become a wild, wild ride.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Another part of it really is that fanfic is often the place that teenage girls express their teenage girl hormones which tends to bring more scorn than teenage boys doing the same things. For some reason teenage girls having weird hormonally driven porn is easier to make fun of than teenage boys’ weird hormonally driven porn.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Another part of it really is that fanfic is often the place that teenage girls express their teenage girl hormones which tends to bring more scorn than teenage boys doing the same things. For some reason teenage girls having weird hormonally driven porn is easier to make fun of than teenage boys’ weird hormonally driven porn.

Both are pretty easy to make fun of imo

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

hopeandjoy posted:

For some reason teenage girls having weird hormonally driven porn is easier to make fun of than teenage boys’ weird hormonally driven porn.

I think it's called the double standard.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm not really up on the current state of youth culture, but I'm guessing it's still true that boys express their weird hormonal drives in more ephemeral ways, like consuming rather than creating weird porn, and by threatening women over the internet.

Is there fanfiction created by teenage boys? (I should know better than to ask)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll make fun of anyone who turned Invader Zim
into a love orgy. Yo everyone hates everyone there! Come on!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Very much, especially gay stuff.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The vast, vast majority of gay fanfic is written by girls and women. (Because the vast, vast majority of interesting fictional characters are male.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I'm not really up on the current state of youth culture, but I'm guessing it's still true that boys express their weird hormonal drives in more ephemeral ways, like consuming rather than creating weird porn, and by threatening women over the internet.

Oh, there's plenty of teen boy fanfic, though a lot of it tends more towards "My OC was totally awesome and beat up Goku" than anything romantic. (Though I am sure there's also plenty of boys writing romance fic.)

It's kind of hard to know who's what gender, though, since fandom spaces still tend toward anonymity and there's always the possibility of people masquerading as another gender and/or expressing genders they can't express in real life.

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll make fun of anyone who turned Invader Zim
into a love orgy. Yo everyone hates everyone there! Come on!

...you're really not aware of the vast, vast genre of hateshipping, I guess.

I mean, given the amount of "They fight like a married couple LOL!" stuff in regular media, it should be no surprise that a lot of people take stories about enemies and strong antipathy and read a shitload of romantic/sexual tension into them.

ETA:

hopeandjoy posted:

The vast, vast majority of gay fanfic is written by girls and women. (Because the vast, vast majority of interesting fictional characters are male.)

The latter statement doesn't entirely follow from the former; there is SO MUCH fanfic devoted to male characters with minimal presence in a work, and a lot of shows with interesting female characters who are ignored in favor of less-developed male characters.

There's definitely an issue of misogyny in fanwork groups, just like in the rest of culture. (This isn't meant to be a WELL ACTUALLY so much as I just think that the subject is pretty interesting and it's unfairly boiled down a lot.)

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 30, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not no. I just grew an intense hatred for that stuff as a kid because it was just so weird and I kept finding these stories because I was really young and sad they killed my favorite show.

I get the reason for doing slash fiction, but I dunno. Sometimes I find it skeevy if it involves children.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not no. I just grew an intense hatred for that stuff as a kid because it was just so weird and I kept finding these stories because I was really young and sad they killed my favorite show.

I get the reason for doing slash fiction, but I dunno. Sometimes I find it skeevy if it involves children.

Yeah, it's definitely weird and skeevy in a lot of cases, though if it helps, a lot of the time people aren't thinking about things in terms of "yeah, kids loving is super okay in real life!" so much as "I identify a lot with this child character and am kicking around my feelings about sexual stuff in a safeish environment because in real life all I get is NO DON'T DO IT EVER IT'S FILTHY AND BAD!!!!"

And yeah, most fanfic is risibly crappy and dumb and weird, so I feel like there's room to sit somewhere and laugh at its dumb weirdness, so long as everyone remembers that the creators are people and have their own complicated people reasons for what they do. (And that it's not necessarily an invalid art form, any more than poetry is invalid because of the vast gallons of terrible teen poetry in existence.)

Goddamn I write too much about this stuff. I hope this derail is at least more interesting than litigating the prequels for the umpteenth time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

I will equally make fun of fanfiction whether its a boy wanting to gently caress hatsune miku or a girl wanting to be spit roasted by the backstreet boys, I'm an equal opportunity snarkist.

My Immortal :v:

E: No seriously My Immortal was written by a dude.

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 30, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
James Roberts wrote several IDW Transformers comics runs, and had some really good ones in 2012 that got people's attention.
Before he became a published comic author, he was apparently really big in Transformers fanfic circles and that was it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

James Roberts wrote several IDW Transformers comics runs, and had some really good ones in 2012 that got people's attention.
Before he became a published comic author, he was apparently really big in Transformers fanfic circles and that was it.

Something similar happened with Ian Flynn, the current head writer for both the Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comics. Not sure if it was fanfic explicitly, but he did come out of the broader online Sonic fandom to Archie Comics, and then later IDW when they picked up both series.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Leal posted:

My Immortal :v:

E: No seriously My Immortal was written by a dude.

Really?

The only story I know about who was behind My Immortal is super bizarre.

Last year a woman who claimed to be one of the original writers was going to release a memoir, but it was cancelled before it was published. It's a long story but the memoir was about how she was a native american girl who had been separated from her brother in foster care, and had written My Immortal as a ploy to find him (how this worked was never explained).

But then the brother resurfaced on Kiwifarms and said that he had never been lost in foster care and that their family was white, and the memoir was cancelled after some extra fact checks by the publishers. The author disappeared from the internet soon after, although she confirmed most of the brother's story on her tumblr.

However, she never admitted to not writing My Immortal, and although the brother didn't know, he said she definitely could have, since she used 'Tara' as a nickname at the time and was interested in making fun of bad fanfiction.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nine-gear crow posted:

Something similar happened with Ian Flynn, the current head writer for both the Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comics. Not sure if it was fanfic explicitly, but he did come out of the broader online Sonic fandom to Archie Comics, and then later IDW when they picked up both series.

He literally wrote sonic fan comics.

http://www.sonicverseteam.net/comics/archives_svt/bumbleking/

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
All of this talk about fanfiction, and nobody brought up any of the great literary classic like Half-Life: Full-Life Consequences or Doom: Repercussions of Evil.

For shame. :colbert:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Puppy Time posted:

There's a big problem with calling this "lazy," which I alluded to in my previous post: there are a lot of different skillsets in writing, and the vast majority of writers are going to have problems with at least a few of them. However, this isn't a natural state, in terms of how humans have told stories for most of history: normally, you'll find a variety of tales featuring stock characters, many of them involving similar events, just with variations according to region, time, who's doing the telling, etc. Hell, many of the greatest works of literature are, by this definition, fanfic, because the writer wasn't especially interested in coming up with their own characters.* William fukken Shakespeare himself used preexisting characters and stories pretty much exclusively, and nobody's calling him lazy!

When I took a crack at writing fanfic in high school, I almost always borrowed a setting, but not characters. I was intimidated by the prospect of worldbuilding and writing someone else's characters without loving up. Ultimately I ended up not even writing most of the ideas I had before deciding to do nonfic stories instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Solitair posted:

When I took a crack at writing fanfic in high school, I almost always borrowed a setting, but not characters. I was intimidated by the prospect of worldbuilding and writing someone else's characters without loving up. Ultimately I ended up not even writing most of the ideas I had before deciding to do nonfic stories instead.

Yeah, I was never really comfortable in writing someone else's characters, either. Which may partly be why I'm so fascinated with fanficcers, who blithely do it, often without caring too much if they get it "wrong." It's a really neat storytelling process.