Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

She's just over forty and women over forty don't get cast

She was recently in Logan Lucky—and she was great in it, she just doesn’t come in until the third act. She’s also a featured player in the inaugural season of Trust, which was Danny Boyle’s take on the John Paul Getty kidnapping. Swank played Gail Getty.

So she can still land a prestige project or two, and on top of that, I feel like a lot of people saw The Next Karate Kid as an embarrassment. Cobra Kai might be getting strong marks, but while that might intrigue, say, Elizabeth Shue into coming in for a couple of episodes so that Johnny can finally close the book on Ali and move on, I’m not sure Swank’s going to give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Holy poo poo this show is good. Only managed 3 episodes in a row, took all of my willpower not to binge watch it all last night and go to bed 2 hours later than I needed to get up.

Johnny is a charismatic dude. Daniel-san can get hosed!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I kind of resent the show trying to do a heel turn for Miguel and a face turn for whatever Johnny's stupid kid is named with exactly one episode left.

Nah, In with Miguel. gently caress that stupid slickback dropout.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

I kind of resent the show trying to do a heel turn for Miguel and a face turn for whatever Johnny's stupid kid is named with exactly one episode left.

Nah, In with Miguel. gently caress that stupid slickback dropout.

Nah, I thought they did a pretty good job of balancing both kids, and showing the whole concept of 'no bad student, only bad teacher.' They also did a great job of showing Miguel having a calming influence on Johnny, and Robby helping Daniel become more grounded and down-to-earth again.

Besides, Robby face-turns in episode 7 when he turns away his punk friends, Miguel heel-turns in episode 8 when he sees Sam with Robby and turns jealous.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ep 8 jealousy is completely reasonable cause Robby was definitely trying to get some.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Ep 8 jealousy is completely reasonable cause Robby was definitely trying to get some.

Absolutely. Though it was also a reflection of Miguel still having a poor view of himself and believing that Sam would cheat on him. Exacerbated by the grounding, of course.

That's what I love about this show; it's all organic and consistent.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
EDIT: Post above said it better and more succinctly. Though I would add that Miguel didn’t have any right to be at that spot in the first place and was driven there by Johnny’s bull-headed Cobra Kai philosophy.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 30, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I think Miguel's actions during the party were somewhat justified, I mean, that your girlfriend hides your existence from her parents (and straight up in front of you) hurts; even for a teenager with no self-esteem issues. From there the whole thing just snowballed, with both Sam and Miguel being at fault for things going like they did.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well, by Hawk's interpretation of it anyway.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I think Miguel's actions during the party were somewhat justified, I mean, that your girlfriend hides your existence from her parents (and straight up in front of you) hurts; even for a teenager with no self-esteem issues. From there the whole thing just snowballed, with both Sam and Miguel being at fault for things going like they did.
The new remake in another 20 years will have the girlfriends as the real villains of the piece, leading the poor bewildered manchildren into fighting each other, using their movie-lady powers of blithering weak-rear end indecision.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

roomforthetuna posted:

The new remake in another 20 years will have the girlfriends as the real villains of the piece, leading the poor bewildered manchildren into fighting each other, using their movie-lady powers of blithering weak-rear end indecision.

I see you found the hot takes from MGTOW.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I thought it took balls to turn Miguel into a dick by the end of the season without knowing if there would be a season 2.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You kind of need for things to go poorly to sustain a compelling narrative, and given that the movies all have fairy tale endings born of perceived slights and magic bullshit, it's refreshing that the show lets actually lovely things happen to and between most of the characters.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I still don't think Miguel is the bad guy in anything. He was kind of a jerk for tugging on Robby's hurt shoulder during their fight, but that's not bad enough for him to be a "bad guy." Kid worked his rear end off to win that tournament. Robby didn't even have to win his semi-final match. This show played out just how the first Karate Kid should have played out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Definitely, he grows to be a jerk and does some pretty rash decisions but he doesn't stop being the kind-hearted kid he was at the start of the series. The fact he realizes his actions cost him Sam's love (thus making the win an empty one) makes me think he won't be giving in so easy to Kreese's influence in S2.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hawk is going to take after Kreese like a duck to water. It wouldn't surprise me if next season they make him the big bad, a betrayer of friendships, and have him beat Robby/Miguel/Aisha in the tournament until he maybe loses/forfeits to Sam in the final. Or maybe they'll follow Karate Kid 2's lead and have the kids fight a California street gang to the death during a tidal wave or something.

Subscribe to my webzone to hear more of my Cobra Kai season two fanfic!

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 31, 2018

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Or maybe they'll follow Karate Kid 2's lead and have the kids fight a California street gang to the death during a tidal wave or something.
You get my vote as consulting writer. That's an elected position, right?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW6lx9FSiFc

The most important video has been made.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Senerio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW6lx9FSiFc

The most important video has been made.
The song really says "history repeats itself"!!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Just noticed another fun counter-parallel - when Robby is hurt in the final, Daniel is like "are you okay? Just breathe and remember to focus" and kind of pushes him into continuing the fight, versus Miyagi's "no shame in stopping" discouragement.
(Later, Daniel does lean a bit more towards "it's okay to back out", but only on like the third injury-attack.)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
To be fair to Daniel for some reason, Miyagi was older and had gone through more bullshit in life in order to get to that point. Breathe deep and focus is a decent step in that direction.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Propaganda Machine posted:

To be fair to Daniel for some reason, Miyagi was older and had gone through more bullshit in life in order to get to that point. Breathe deep and focus is a decent step in that direction.

Maccio is older now than Morita was when they made karate kid!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Not in Hollywood years :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Maccio is older now than Morita was when they made karate kid!

What, no way, how old is Maccio

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MiddleOne posted:

What, no way, how old is Maccio

56. He's 4 years older than William Zabka, who at least was legitimately a teen during the filming of the Karate Kid.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't understand how Macchio's entire facial structure changed after he hit 30. It's inhuman.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

In KK3, they supposedly convert the South Seas apartments into condominiums, but in Cobra Kai, the building appears to still be the same old apartment complex?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
It probably got un gentrified

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They converted them by just offering what were the apartments up for sale and adding an association.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

It probably got un gentrified

I know it's all the rage these days, but Reseda is in fact still a shithole.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Propaganda Machine posted:

I know it's all the rage these days, but Reseda is in fact still a shithole.

Exits to freeways
Wisted like knots on
The fingers
Jewels cleaving
Skin between
Breasts.
Your Cadillac breathes
Four hundred horses
Over blue lines
You are going
To Reseda
To make love
To a model
From Ohio
Whose real name
You don't
Know
You spin
Like the cadillac was
Overturning down a
Cliff on television
And the radio is on
And the radioman is speaking
And the radioman says
Women were a curse
So men built Paramount
Studios
And men built Columbia
Studios
And men built
Los Angeles
It is 5 am
And you are listening
To Los Angeles
And the radioman says
It is a beautiful night out there!
And the radioman says
Rock and Roll lives!
And the radioman says
It is a beautiful night out there
In Los Angeles
You live
In Los Angeles
And you are going to
Reseda; we are all
In some way or
Another going to
Reseda someday
To die
And the radioman
Laughs because
The radioman fucks
A model too
Gone savage
For teenagers with
Automatic weapons and
Boundless love
Gone savage for
Teenagers who are
Aesthetically pleasing
In other words
Fly
Los Angeles beckons
The teenagers
To come to her
On buses;
Los Angeles loves
Love
It is 5 am
And you are listening
To Los Angeles
I am going to
Los Angeles
To built a screenplay about
Lovers who
Murder each
Other
I am going to
Los Angeles
To see my own
Name on a
Screen, five feet
Long and luminous
As the radioman says
It is 5 am
And the sun has charred
The other side of
The world and come
Back to us
And painted the smoke
Over our heads
An imperial violet
It is 5 am
And you are listening
To Los Angeles.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Didn’t they actually show the apartments getting torn down? Or at least they tried to make it look that way for the movie since they obviously still stand.

That’s just the one thing that I’ve noticed that doesn’t seem to still be canon regarding the original movies.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Exits to freeways
Wisted like knots on
The fingers
Jewels cleaving
Skin between
Breasts.
Your Cadillac breathes
Four hundred horses
Over blue lines
You are going
To Reseda
To make love
To a model
From Ohio
Whose real name
You don't
Know
You spin
Like the cadillac was
Overturning down a
Cliff on television
And the radio is on
And the radioman is speaking
And the radioman says
Women were a curse
So men built Paramount
Studios
And men built Columbia
Studios
And men built
Los Angeles
It is 5 am
And you are listening
To Los Angeles
And the radioman says
It is a beautiful night out there!
And the radioman says
Rock and Roll lives!
And the radioman says
It is a beautiful night out there
In Los Angeles
You live
In Los Angeles
And you are going to
Reseda; we are all
In some way or
Another going to
Reseda someday
To die
And the radioman
Laughs because
The radioman fucks
A model too
Gone savage
For teenagers with
Automatic weapons and
Boundless love
Gone savage for
Teenagers who are
Aesthetically pleasing
In other words
Fly
Los Angeles beckons
The teenagers
To come to her
On buses;
Los Angeles loves
Love
It is 5 am
And you are listening
To Los Angeles
I am going to
Los Angeles
To built a screenplay about
Lovers who
Murder each
Other
I am going to
Los Angeles
To see my own
Name on a
Screen, five feet
Long and luminous
As the radioman says
It is 5 am
And the sun has charred
The other side of
The world and come
Back to us
And painted the smoke
Over our heads
An imperial violet
It is 5 am
And you are listening
To Los Angeles.

Mike Doughty rules

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

empty baggie posted:

Didn’t they actually show the apartments getting torn down? Or at least they tried to make it look that way for the movie since they obviously still stand.

That’s just the one thing that I’ve noticed that doesn’t seem to still be canon regarding the original movies.

They did, I mentioned it either here or in th chat thread.

Edit: Oh yeah, from a month ago

Rhyno posted:

It's been a long rear end time since I seen it but didn't Daniel's apartment building get bulldozed in KK3?

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

No Bulldozer, just lots of rubbish and a sign

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just realized Miguel's gang banger dad his mom escaped must

A) Come back in season 2
B) Have been trained in karate personally by Krauser

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I just realized Miguel's gang banger dad his mom escaped must

A) Come back in season 2

I hope Miguel's dad escaped the gang banging life in Central America by escaping to Okinawa only to fall back in with a bad crowd in the gambling district. There he learns Karate from a man who was disgraced in front of hundreds and has a heart full of vengeance and a wardrobe full of fabulous shirts

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Chozen Few would be a good name for his street gang.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Cobra Kai/Fatal Fury crossover confirmed. Terry Bogard joins Miyagi-do as an instructor, while Kreese teams up with Geese Howard. Meanwhile, Terry Silver and Krauser are off in Germany eagerly awaiting the outcome of the King of Fighters tournament. Andy Bogard and Johnny Lawrence are kind of stuck in the middle, seeking a balance between the passive, mind-of-no-mind philosophy of Miyagi-do, and the aggressive, strike first, no mercy attitude of the original Cobra Kai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha Kreese is who I meant

• Locked thread