Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

the popes toes posted:

As May comes to an end, Trout is leading with 18 dingers. That's a lot of nuts! However,

On this day in baseball history, 1998 Mark McGwire hits his 27th home run to establish a major league record for the most homers hit before the month of June. Last season, Ken Griffey Jr. set the previous mark with 24 round-trippers in the first two months of the season. McGwire finishes the season with 70 and Sosa with 66

1998 was a memorable year for many reasons, enough for a book. But this brawl (stay for the Strawberry punch) may typify what a crazy season it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=ZKIHNsf8O_A

I always love the bullpen trotting in from the outfield "hey guys whats happening wait for us"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Johnny Bravo posted:

Sosa hitting 20 just in the month of June was crazy that year too.

On the topic of baseball fights, one of my favorites was Farnsworth not even hesitating to spear a dude and drop fists on him before the benches cleared.

I love that you can read that and be like "Does he mean the time with Jeremy Affeldt or the time with Paul Wilson"

We miss you, Rowdy Kyle (even though you were a lovely pitcher)

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

ozymandius1024 posted:

I love that you can read that and be like "Does he mean the time with Jeremy Affeldt or the time with Paul Wilson"

We miss you, Rowdy Kyle (even though you were a lovely pitcher)

Paul Wilson was the one I was thinking of!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZbG5MPsfYM

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

uhhhhhhhhhhh seriously?

quote:

Alex Reyes was removed from Wednesday's game against the Brewers with an apparent injury.

Advice: Reyes was making his season debut after a long recovery from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. He looked dominant in the first inning but struggled with his control in the second and his velocity dipped to a concerning degree in the ensuing frames. The 23-year-old right-hander was lifted after throwing 73 pitches over four scoreless innings. There should be an update soon from Miller Park in Milwaukee.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I haven't seen any actual reports about it being a real injury. No trainer was near him on the bench. Just had a lovely start kinda. Lifted for a pinch hitter in a totally normal spot to be lifted if he wasn't going to be in the game much longer anyways.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He was throwing 96 in his final inning. Maybe the dip in the 2nd and 3rd was due to him having command issues.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah honestly I'd wager it's more that this is his first start back and he was on a pitch limit as it is. 76 through 4 IP is already a bit of a hefty load for your first game back from TJS.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I remember Kris Medlen and Peter Moylan talking poo poo to each other in the early days of twitter, one would be like "you got shelled today lol" and the other would usually respond by inviting them to their barbecue or something.

Medlen was cool, I'll miss him

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
kris medlen was loving filthy when all of his arm ligaments were intact

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/1001924901710671872

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/1001886291036950530

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Oh damnit, not Stringbean...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs pen now consists of Morrow, Strop, Cishek, three AAA scrubs (Rosario, Farrell, Mazzoni), Duensing who's blown up his last handful of appearances, and Justin "loving" Wilson. :shepicide:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

where the gently caress is Albert Almora who literally leads our team in bWAR

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Somehow left off the ballot despite having more PA's than Heyward or Zobrist, who are both on it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poque posted:

Nah, Jason Heyward and Ben Zobrist are clearly your best outfielders.

(holy lol)

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Probably not enough starts. :lol:

Only Cardinals will probably be Mikolas and hopefully Pham, plus maybe Hicks as a reliever for GOES FAST novelty.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Javy vs Albies will be a fun votestorm to watch at least.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
PS - RIP Chapman filter. You are no longer needed.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

Probably not enough starts. :lol:

Daniel Murphy is on the list

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This is normally the part where I'd posit the Cubs might complain to MLB to get a clearly deserving player on the ballot, but Maddon hates Almora so it's not happening.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Which baseball-man is most likely to have Twitter burner accounts

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's so many baseball guys there's probably a bunch.

But they're baseball guys so they're all boring or MAGA accounts.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Which baseball-man is most likely to have Twitter burner accounts

Joe Maddon

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

Joe Maddon

Spends his nights tweeting @MLB about the how terrible the slide rule is.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

Same but Brandon Nimmo.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Cubs are gonna end up with like 5 players on the team regardless of merit, who cares if Almora is off the ballot

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Matt Kemp is going to be the Dodgers' only All Star in tyool 2018

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Dexter Fowler and Hunter Pence are going to get more votes than Almora and Nimmo combined

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

The Cubs are gonna end up with like 5 players on the team regardless of merit, who cares if Almora is off the ballot

The Cubs had what, Wade Davis last year? I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

There are a number of Cubs (Baez, Bryant) who definetly should be in the mix for voting though.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/DanielMosherNY/status/1001913833311567879

mets

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Simmons isn't going to finish top 5 for shortstops behind Machado, Lindor, Correa, Gregorious and maybe Bogaerts and I'm gonna be really mad.

At least Trout is a shoe-in forever and Ohtani will likely be hype-trained in as an alternate and can pick up an AB as a pinch hitter.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heat the Mets.

Also, Brewers and Cards have not taken two in a row off each other the entire season. They have alternated every game they have played each other, even across series.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Good Dog posted:

Simmons isn't going to finish top 5 for shortstops behind Machado, Lindor, Correa, Gregorious and maybe Bogaerts and I'm gonna be really mad.

At least Trout is a shoe-in forever and Ohtani will likely be hype-trained in as an alternate and can pick up an AB as a pinch hitter.

They should pick Ohtani has both DH and pitcher and let him do both.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Good Dog posted:

I've already prepared myself for Simmons not making the cut because of Lindor and Machado but yeah, he's had a better season than any of the other guys though Bogaerts was hurt for a little bit.

I think Ohtani should be involved in some way and maybe the hype is enough to get him in as a DH but it might be tough with how good Martinez has been and, to a lesser extent, Giancarlo being in New York now.

e: Comedy option is Elvis Andrus being the Rangers' lone pick. Dunno who else they'd send, Bartolo maybe?

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 30, 2018

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Costco is selling Yankee single game tickets, looks like a good value https://m.costco.com/New-York-Yankees-Single-Home-Game-eTicket.product.100400917.html

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

There are a number of Cubs (Baez, Bryant) who definetly should be in the mix for voting though.

Bryant leads all NL 3B in wRC+, so I feel like he will deservedly get a start.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The MRI machine overheated but thank God no one was in it at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

the popes toes posted:

The MRI machine overheated but thank God no one was in it at the time

What did some jackass try to be funny with the gently caress off sized magnet?

• Locked thread