Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I must be living in Bizarro world or something because this show does not feel like Arrested Development at all. The timing is way off, there's way more lame awkward humour and characters seem to just say lines at each other rather than having any actual interplay. The scene where Buster rants in episode two or three is literally a worse, more embarassing version of a joke that people loved from earlier on in the show.

I'm ganna stay strong and keep going in hope, but three episodes in this season has dug lower than the absolute lowest lows of season four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn’t like the first three episodes but after that I liked it. It feels way more like season 1 than any others in regards to being mostly all Michael focused and less zany.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Arrested Development Seasons 1-4 are so good that i am buckled in for wherever this is going, but i must simply reserve judgment until my 2nd complete viewing

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
I loved the first episode, but there was a noticeable downturn for the next two. Then episode 4 brings in the Maeby apartment scam and it's like "yes, the slump is over!". Then episode 5 is kinda whack, so I stopped... :notfunny:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also feel like there is more Maeby in S5 than like all of S1-S2 combined and while Alia Shawkat looked positively... festive in S4 she is ridiculously fine in S5, which makes her costumes even more extreme.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
"mom's loving cottage"

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
So I loved the first 3 seasons and well Season 4 was AD so I watched and there's some good there with a lot of bad.

The promise of everyone in the room really got me excited. Then there was Tambor, and the NYT interview and I was seriously just considering writing off the season.

But, I gave one episode a go and haven't seen any mention of the thing that bothered me the most which was the MeToo jokes with Ron Howard and Tambour. They just felt wrong especially after the interview. I'm really wondering whether I'll be able to make it through this.

pigz fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 30, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Were you ok with the transphobia, racism, ableism, and homophobia 15 years ago when the show came out?

What about GOB’s affinity for roofying people?

The show has always been about objectively terrible people, and all these people white-knighting Jessica Walters are also ignoring her choice to act in this show, as well as her agency to stand by these men and continue to support the cast.

I’m not defending his behavior, I believe the two women, I’m just saying I really don’t see how it affects this show, but I also don’t think art/music/tv is ruined if someone involved is a scumbag (like The Beatles)

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Bust Rodd posted:

Were you ok with the transphobia, racism, ableism, and homophobia 15 years ago when the show came out?

What about GOB’s affinity for roofying people?

The show has always been about objectively terrible people, and all these people white-knighting Jessica Walters are also ignoring her choice to act in this show, as well as her agency to stand by these men and continue to support the cast.

I’m not defending his behavior, I believe the two women, I’m just saying I really don’t see how it affects this show, but I also don’t think art/music/tv is ruined if someone involved is a scumbag (like The Beatles)

I understand the point of view.

For me, I think there is a major difference between things that happen on set in real life and things that happen to fake characters in a tv show. And maybe if they didn't make light of the Tambor situation in the show in the very first episode i would be better able to divorce the characters from the people. I know it's a little thing and mostly one line, but it's bothersome and makes me wonder how seriously people associated with show really do take the situation with Tambor (and Walters).

But yeah the things that entertain me has certainly changed over 15 years good point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I totally missed the line. What was it?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Using actual Trump footage and referring to him directly feels very... Not Arrested Development.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
"George Sr., realizing his performance as a woman wasn't winning any awards, decided to run away to Mexico."

It's something like that. Near the end of the first episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Console Role Player posted:

"George Sr., realizing his performance as a woman wasn't winning any awards, decided to run away to Mexico."

It's something like that. Near the end of the first episode.

I thought that was a joke about his award-winning performance as a transwoman on Transparent? I mean, that was the show he was working on when he was accused of harassment, so they probably should have avoided it, but I don't think it's a joke about #MeToo.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 30, 2018

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Calaveron posted:

"mom's loving cottage"

This was my hardest laugh out of the whole thing for sure.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Don't be such a geo-bead is pretty drat good though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was optimistic about S5 since I ended up liking S4 more on a second viewing, but... it's just not doing it for me.

It's not bad, but it's just kind of not very funny? The conversations have a weird pace to them where I just end up tuning out - in general there's a real lack of any snappy dialogue, which is so uncharacteristic of this show that it feels bizarre.

Also I'm getting sick of playing "spot the green screen" in literally every other scene. Sometimes it looks like different people are green screened in different parts of the same scene! At some point, if you can't get everyone together, it's maybe not worth it to try and fake it.

Edit: I also have to say that this is the first time I've found Tobias to be largely annoying. The whole doing the other characters schtick is not funny at all, and neither are his interactions with the Murphy Brown character.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 30, 2018

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Episode four was so much better than the first three it gave me quality whiplash. It was honestly great. I'm... Weirdly optimistic for the rest???

Also anyone notice the weird influx of rape jokes this season? The show had a couple before, but episode one has the conversation between George Michael and Maebe, episode two has the "I rape and kill" bit and episode three literally ends suggesting Buster is raped in prison

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Some good jokes, but on the whole I found it super meandering. It's basically one long farce, with various characters misunderstanding each other leading to Situations, but the ways in which they misunderstand each other are super forced and difficult to believe, and are driving this big over-arching plot instead of driving episodic plots or quick gags. (In a way, it's super ambitious to have what amounts to a six hour continuous farce plot, so you can see where they might run into difficulty on that front.)

Like, example: Michael goes to hunt down George Michael at the model home, but finds Tobias instead. After leaving, he bumps into George Michael on the street, but hides from him in the bushes. Why? Wasn't he just going to look for him? Character motivations frequently feel unclear, like they're just doing the thing that would generate the most confusion instead of doing a thing based on their circumstances.

It feels sprawling and messy and over-reliant on referencing itself. Honestly, it feels like an exercise in self-indulgence, where each episode just runs as long as the script wants, and most of the episodes aren't self-contained, instead spilling over continuously into each other. Sometimes formal constraints can be a really good tool for generating tighter, more engaging work. This is super baggy.

I thought George Michael and Maeby were good. Cera and Shawkat are one of the few comedy pairings that was really working for me. The "all the rapists and all the murderers..." joke is the best of the half-season, I think. I also liked the bits with Tony Wonder, because in a weird way they're one of the few glimpses into a genuine humanity on this show. Gob actually misses this person and wants to reconnect, and seems basically ingenuous in his attempts to do so. It's a far cry from the subplot where George Senior is vaguely trying to kill himself and no-one cares.

Also, Michael is just a horrible character. I don't mean that in terms of his moral compass, I mean the way he's written, he's the most tepid straight man ever at this point. Most of his "straight" lines are just him basically rolling his eyes and saying, "I don't want to know," or, "oh, jeez, how typical of my bad family".

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Android Blues posted:

Like, example: Michael goes to hunt down George Michael at the model home, but finds Tobias instead. After leaving, he bumps into George Michael on the street, but hides from him in the bushes. Why? Wasn't he just going to look for him?

Michael went to the model home to get his scuba equipment ("maybe the best thing a father can do for his son is disappear for a while and let him figure out what kind of man he wants to be on his own"). He hides in the bushes because it's outside Rebel's apartment and he doesn't want to explain why he's there or potentially get into another fight ("so when Michael saw his son brashly approaching, he decided to be the adult in the relationship and avoid conflict by squatting in a bush").

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I tried watching an episode from season 3 and then an episode from season 5 for comparison.

Woof. The pacing is so much snappier in 3. And the camera is not always doing shot-reverse shot the way it is in 5. Much better overall direction in the original.

They should've tried to stick to 22 minute episodes.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

This is brutally boring.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Some people in this thread have already mentioned how Season 5 feels like Season 4 Part 2. I feel like at least part of this reason is that so many of the plotlines of this season are carried over from the last one. Obviously this has always been a show with a pretty strong continuity, but I also think that previous seasons have been pretty good at introducing new plots and characters. When it comes to new characters in this season I can only think of a few that have very little screen time and leave little impression.

Because of this, I felt like this one was just running on steam. George Michael is still dealing with Rebel and Fake Block. Michael is still dealing with the movie rights, and GOB is left with a drawn-out Tony Wonder plot. One of the the reasons Maeby's storyline is so great is that it's actually something we haven't seen before.

One of the things I loved about the show and it's running gags is that it slowly built a bigger, denser world and you got to see how all those elements came together and played off of each other in a way that made you say, "How could I not see that coming?" Here, the only real moment I felt that way was at the mid-season finale, which I think says something about how the streaming format has effected the structuring of episodes. Now they all just kind of blur together without much of a focus or conclusion to each one. Say what you want about the original edit of Season 4, but it used the streaming format to really showcase how well the show does at building up things and weave plot threads together.

I have more thoughts, but I'll post them later. The show still had some strong points, but I feel like nostalgia was the main thing that powered me through this. That and I had a relatively free day.

But to say something nice, GOB has some really nice shirts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Calico Heart posted:

Also anyone notice the weird influx of rape jokes this season? The show had a couple before, but episode one has the conversation between George Michael and Maebe, episode two has the "I rape and kill" bit and episode three literally ends suggesting Buster is raped in prison

I think people expressing this sentiment are either looking for them when you didn't notice them before or are simply more sensitive to them. Prison rape jokes have always been a part of this show (Oscar: AND THEY COVER IT IN SOAP AND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO THANK THEM), Barry Zuckercorn spying on children, Michael almost sleeping with a MRF, literally Tobias's entire pedophilia plot line in S4, like the ENTIRE Tony Wonder//GOB plot is predicated on roofies and masks and lying about who fucks who. These are all forms of sexual assault and harassment and some of the funniest moments in the show, at least the Gob//Tony plot.

Actually the best 'rape' joke got CUT from the S4 edit: When they warn Lucille about getting sexually assaulted by a guard and she says something like "Send them a thank you note" or something, and I loved that it was simple and charming and biting, like all her best lines.

The Transparent reference was a reference to the show and I don't think there isn't a read of that as joking about sexual assault without just reaching into the stratosphere.

The rapist/murderer island gag is funny because it's not attacking or laughing at real victims, its an imaginary island full of rape and murderers who don't exist.

I'm personally way, way more uncomfortable with the density of incest in the show than with the handful of rape jokes. Like am I the only person who thought Lindsay trying to gently caress Michael and then Gob trying to gently caress Lindsay was the grossest part of the show? It was kind of only acceptable when it was two 15 year olds but now they are in there 20's and its just... uh like insanely gross. The only comedic value it adds is another layer of "The fabulously wealthy have strained values".

Ron Howard: "It was a lot of words about rape."

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Lindsay isn't related to Michael or Gob. It's still gross, but it's not incest. Maebe's not related to George Michael either.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

The rapist/murderer island gag is funny because it's not attacking or laughing at real victims, its an imaginary island full of rape and murderers who don't exist.

As someone who has been a victim of both rape and murder, I found the entire joke incredibly unsettling.

zandert33 posted:

Lindsay isn't related to Michael or Gob. It's still gross, but it's not incest. Maebe's not related to George Michael either.

"She was made in a cup. Like soup."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

zandert33 posted:

It is incest because they grew up together as siblings, westermick effect, etc etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess if the entire premise of a major character right from S1E01 is an incest joke, they have to ramp it up somehow :confused:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Esquire ranked every episode of Arrested Development (seasons 1-4)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Astroman posted:

As someone who has been a victim of both rape and murder, I found the entire joke incredibly unsettling.

So.....how was the island?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just finished the eight episodes.

It was oddly humorless to me. Everyone was in-character, but it wasn't really funny. I laughed at Buster in the attic, and when GOB had his G-O-Bead revelation, but, eh. Hopefully the second half will be funnier.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy balls what is all this Ron Howard's Family poo poo doing in ep. 6.

And he's just standing by himself in every single shot, with a body double talking to people in alternate reverse shots. Is there some sort of gag there about how the most off-putting directing in the whole show is when you're shooting a director

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

The Uncle Jack is the 4th best episode of the series. :chloe:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RJWaters2 posted:

The Uncle Jack is the 4th best episode of the series. :chloe:

Oh god

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

The internet continues to top itself in pointless, tedious rankings of entertainment.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

This person REALLY doesn't like season 4.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Calico Heart posted:

Episode four was so much better than the first three it gave me quality whiplash. It was honestly great.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "great," but it's definitely a big improvement.

The first three feel so weirdly inert, as though everyone's just doing impressions of their characters... if that makes any sense?

Anyway, I'm only halfway through, but I have to agree that Hurwitz et al. really should have tied up the unresolved storylines from S4 a lot more quickly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is it really that hard to get everyone in a room?

It took 5 years to make this season, so, like, tell everyone that they're booked 3 years from now for like 4 weeks. There you go, everyone's in the same place and you don't have to put Lindsay in a sheet or give Tobias a bastard son to have his scenes with.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think the most frustrating thing about maybe and George Michael is that it’s been 15 years it will they won’t they. Walk through the door or close it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

I think the most frustrating thing about maybe and George Michael is that it’s been 15 years it will they won’t they. Walk through the door or close it.

They brought it up a few times, but it seemed like they were moving away from it more. Maybe I'm just misremembering the early seasons, but I swear like ALL of George Michael's interactions with Maeby are about his attraction to her, and they had a bunch of scenes this season that were just them being a regular duo working on each other's problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
“I thought you were running for a house seat, not a sofa” lol

• Locked thread