Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Who's having a better Meltdown May, Roseanne or Elon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Matt Zerella posted:

Elon's still got his companies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Matt Zerella posted:

You forgot Grimes! She's literally getting her name changed!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matt Zerella posted:

Elon's Raptor engine is cheering him up.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Elon's still got his companies.

In pure meltdown optics tho it's a tight race. One is racist the other is classist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Matt Zerella posted:

In pure meltdown optics tho it's a tight race. One is racist the other is classist.

Elon appears to be racist against journalists.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The solution seems obvious to me: give the Roseanne character the Kevin Can Wait treatment

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Elon appears to be racist against journalists.

Lol I forgot about this. Can't film flam the musk man.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

While I'm on a Broadcast/Cable Network rant, I have to wonder how long producers are going to put up with the ancient distribution models of these outlets.

It's been something I've been mulling over with the whole "The Expanse" situation as well as other examples. Past seasons of "The Expanse" are on Amazon in 4k (no HDR). HBO has released Westworld and Game of Thrones on UHD disc. Amazon distributed American Gods and Counterpart outside of the US instead of Starz, in HDR. Star Trek Discovery is on Netflix in other countries in HDR.

Netflix just added Dynasty, a motherfucking CW show, and it's in goddamn 4k with a Dolby Vision grade.

All of these have something in common. Their first run in the US was HD SDR and there was no way to watch them as they aired in higher quality.

The tools of UHD workflows (4k mastering, 4k and wide color gamut capture, and HDR grading) are becoming cheaper and more accessible by the day.

If you are a producer looking for a distribution partner for your next drama, at some point you have to start looking at these outlets and say to yourself "If I go with Amazon or Netflix, I can use cinema quality tools and produce a cinema quality product. If I go with traditional networks, no one is going to see that work."

Think of something stylized like Legion in 4k HDR and it's a huge missed opportunity. I can't even imagine watching Altered Carbon in SDR, the HDR grade was a massive part of the look and feel of the show.

That's even discounting things like no commercial breaks and flexible runtimes, both offer more narrative freedom.

Then there's the junk like a network logo in the corner or #whatevernextthingwewanttopromote lingering on screen.

If Netflix and Amazon continue on their trajectory on original content spending, I can see a day where producers are going to actively avoid traditional broadcast and cable networks for their projects because they don't want to be tied to a 20th century distribution model.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Producers go to the network that gives them either the most money or the most creative freedom. I don’t think things like 4K video quality really enters the picture.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vegetable posted:

Producers go to the network that gives them either the most money or the most creative freedom. I don’t think things like 4K video quality really enters the picture.

HDR and WCG are creative freedom though. 4k doesn't really matter much, but being able to grade in high dynamic range and having the full PCI-D3 color space to play with can dramatically change the look of a TV show.

https://variety.com/2017/artisans/production/netflix-marvel-iron-fist-1202018740/

Ignore for a moment that the content itself sucks (Iron Fist). The big takeaway is that yes, the creatives on these shows are greatly appreciating having a larger toolbox to work from. HDR lets photographers shoot at higher light levels without blowing out highlights while at the same time retaining rich shadow detail. You can obtain shots with HDR that you simply cannot represent in SDR and it is working its way back to the camera.

Here's what the colorist on Altered Carbon had to say.

quote:

Dolby Vision HDR transformed the look of 'Altered Carbon' – in all of the VR scenes and wide VFX shots I was able to bring out so many more details and nuances in the black. It really added texture and enhanced the look and feel of this fictional world. The colour helps tell its story and these details make it that much more immersive

If you're ever watching a show and think to yourself "This is too dark, I can't see anything" that's exactly what HDR can fix. It allows them to bring out all the details in the low end while not having to sacrifice bright highlights.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 31, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Or, maybe more often than not, the one that owns them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I just watched the new season of Arrested Development and uh... Why is Will Arnett actually turning into Bojack Horseman?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Do you enjoy the USA Network show Colony, but hate child actors because 9 times out of 10, they're terrible and ruin everything?

Well, there is now 1 fewer child actor on the show after tonight, and it was pretty brutal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed that this half-season of Kimmy Schmidt is the funniest the show’s been in a long time. The episodes are tighter and the scripts are great.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It's a shame that no one is really talking about Colony this season because they've been firing on all cylinders, tonight's episode was brutal as gently caress.

Also seconding the love for Joe Pera Talks With You. It's one of those things where I rarely find it laugh-out-loud funny, but it's extremely comfy and wholesome in a way few shows are.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Colony is up there with the very best shows this year.
It's always been good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is there any Xan in this season of Kimmy? This is important

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Colony is real solid. They've handled the shift to Vancouver really well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Kimmy: What in the holy hell is Episode 3?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao it's so good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gonz posted:

Do you enjoy the USA Network show Colony, but hate child actors because 9 times out of 10, they're terrible and ruin everything?

Well, there is now 1 fewer child actor on the show after tonight, and it was pretty brutal.

The one thing I liked about Tin Star was that the kid played by a truly terrible child actor got killed at the end of the first episode. He was so bad it probably created the opposite reaction of what they wanted though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shout out to whomever in this thread recommend Bosch. Just started season 2 and it is real good.

Its kinda cute they keep casting Wire alumni for every role.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
House is seriously the best background noise procedural (at least through the end of S4), but holy poo poo any time they try to have a villain for the season it’s so bad.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

If Johnny Galecki is game they should just call the show "Darlene" and focus the show on Darlene and David moving back in together and trying to raise their kids

Then the original stars can cameo and everyone's happy

Season ended on a cliffhanger with Roseanne about to get her knee surgery and possibly dying - let her character die

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1001838408061341696

Yes, it worked out so well in the end

Does this guy not understand that you can't just "move" a show like that when the writers and cast have jumped ship and you probably don't have the budget it would take to bring them back or pull similar levels of talent to something that toxic

I don't feel like you need to work in television to understand that.

zoux posted:

The real victim, as always, is the president.

This isn't the first time he's weighed in on programming decisions at ABC

Hope he doesn't find out about BET

Conservative white peoples' perspective of what constitutes "racism" will never not be mystifying to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Michael Caputo is a loving moron so no, I'm sure he doesn't know that.

Remember, this whole thing was supposed to be a set up for Trump TV and media empire. but he hosed up and got elected.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EugeneJ posted:

If Johnny Galecki is game they should just call the show "Darlene" and focus the show on Darlene and David moving back in together and trying to raise their kids

Then the original stars can cameo and everyone's happy

Season ended on a cliffhanger with Roseanne about to get her knee surgery and possibly dying - let her character die

The problem is, the show has to be a legally distinct knockoff of the original or else Roseanne gets paid.

Also, I feel like I'm not living in reality when a sitting president chimes in not once, but multiple times about a goddamn sitcom. Burn it all down at this point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The problem is, the show has to be a legally distinct knockoff of the original or else Roseanne gets paid.

Also, I feel like I'm not living in reality when a sitting president chimes in not once, but multiple times about a goddamn sitcom. Burn it all down at this point.

He was whining about it again this morning.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bull3964 posted:

Traditionally, attacking sitcom parents is a job for the Vice Preaidency.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

swickles posted:

Traditionally, attacking sitcom parents is a job for the Vice Preaidency.

Remember when Al Gore just went in on Veronica's Closet for being a sub-par addition to the Must See TV lineup

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

The network does not give a poo poo about her getting paid. All they want is the optics of firing her.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Matt Zerella posted:

The network does not give a poo poo about her getting paid. All they want is the optics of firing her.

At this point, yeah they do. It was even mentioned in the article about a potential continuation.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Buy her out

And I kind of want to see a Late Shift-type movie about the behind-the-scenes of the original series

Tom Arnold seems like the guy to tell that story

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Is there a Kimmy Schmidt thread?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bull3964 posted:

Sara Gilbert and Michael Fishman play the parents, Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman play the kids

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sam Bee called Ivanka a feckless Seaward and I dunno why it's got all the culture warrior conservatives all mad

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

Sam Bee called Ivanka a feckless Seaward and I dunno why it's got all the culture warrior conservatives all mad

Because it's Sam Bee and she's a liberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what's the true story behind Disney and anti-semitism? I'm seeing it brought up a lot since yesterday.