Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

My first instinct before reading the options was D, but what's the ratio size of Jenni vs falling ship, also how easy would it be to replace Jenni if it's crippled?
I'm thinking a push from Jenni instead of kamikaze Jenni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

malbogio posted:

How would the Emergency Jump work? Is the Jenni creating the wormhole? Would the Jenni have to go through the wormhole with the falling ship?

The Jenni would be making the wormhole with her Jump Engine, but can place it so only the falling vessel passes through. The issue is that Jump calculations are tricky things, and it might not finish in time.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Toughy posted:

My first instinct before reading the options was D, but what's the ratio size of Jenni vs falling ship, also how easy would it be to replace Jenni if it's crippled?
I'm thinking a push from Jenni instead of kamikaze Jenni.

The Jenni and the falling ship are about the same size. Velocity and vectors and stuff would make it difficult to knock the ship away without seriously damaging The Jenni.

Replacing your ship in FE is a matter of finding a new one and recommiting the Influence. You might even have enough now to get one that doesn't have the Hunk of Junk trait

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm not casting my vote just yet but this facility is orders of magnitude more important and invaluable an asset than a single ship. I'd err more toward a "suffer significant damage to the Jenni and smash the falling ship way the gently caress out of the way rather than lose the Jenni entirely" solution but if the probabilities are even the slightest bit unkind with regard to losing the facility, our outpost and everyone in it I will absolutely vote D.

Also I said this in the discord but it bears repeating here: This means loving war. I mean burn down every resource and asset that they own war. You do not gently caress with us. We gently caress back, and we do it hard.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Hexenritter posted:

I'm not casting my vote just yet but this facility is orders of magnitude more important and invaluable an asset than a single ship. I'd err more toward a "suffer significant damage to the Jenni and smash the falling ship way the gently caress out of the way rather than lose the Jenni entirely" solution but if the probabilities are even the slightest bit unkind with regard to losing the facility, our outpost and everyone in it I will absolutely vote D.

D is the only option that will 100% work.

E: because we are sacrificing the ship in a straightforward exchange

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 30, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I really can't in good conscience vote for anything other than D then.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
D

Best out of the bad here

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

C, and if that doesn't work, it was a pleasure CYOAing with you.

I'm not picking D because I'm not ready to cash that check in with Jenni's existence as a character just yet.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

D. It's like marbles but with Spaceships. :votegop:

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

D.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Xarbala posted:

I'm not picking D because I'm not ready to cash that check in with Jenni's existence as a character just yet.
I think the Jenni we talk to is entirely in 10/6’s head, a manifestation of the safety protocol she designed to keep from going killbot.

I suspect the ship on the other hand was just named Jenni because 10/6 has a serious sentimental attachment to the name (ex. Jenniston).

malbogio fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 30, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

meh, we're literally a utilitarian-at-best robomind

D, this facility is literally priceless and also has a lot more meatbodies on it than whatever luckless schmucks are onboard our old ship

now, bear in mind, we're going to want to replace it pronto, because being reliant on mercenaries contractors for transorbital stuff isn't great, but

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also, why is there soot on our spacebuddy's face

are you running your spaceship on a COMBUSTION ENGINE?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

D

I want to do C, but can't risk the failure chance, and I assume they are mutually exclusive.

What happens to us, though?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What happens to us, though?

Luckily The Jenni comes equipped with escape pods. Not the best ride in these conditions, but they'll work

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

meh, we're literally a utilitarian-at-best robomind

Actually, TenSixths is an ascended human mind that was torn out of post-human-extinction digital heaven and thrown into a robot body by humanity's negligent successor race, the Archons (who in turn were also the negligent and sometimes abusive precursors to the vast majority of the different races of the galaxy today). And has repeatedly shown sufficient sentimentality to such a degree that people have been taken aback by it. No utilitarian robomind would go through the trouble of "peacefully" disabling a refugee fleet's engines, let its also-once-human-children (who, like her, were also uploaded digital minds shoved into robot bodies) tell the refugees what their human names were, and then give the refugees directions to vital supplies they would need to survive their exodus. She may also be fiercely pragmatic, which suited being placed into a warship for a body, but she's still clearly clinging on to her humanity as hard as she can.

Her entire motivation was determined by vote to be Family, and Jenni is Family too.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Xarbala posted:

No utilitarian robomind would go through the trouble of "peacefully" disabling a refugee fleet's engines, let its also-once-human-children (who, like her, were also uploaded digital minds shoved into robot bodies) tell the refugees what their human names were, and then give the refugees directions to vital supplies they would need to survive their exodus.
Uh, we may have read that very differently if that was your takeaway. The killbot Mechanoid 274 that 10/6 was chopped into attacked the migrant fleet trying to take them out, and since in their doctrine the central ship was the command ship it headed straight for the ship in the centre. Turns out though that it was the creche ship of the migrant fleet and coming face to face with the children was what allowed 10/6 to break her programming by pulling up the memories of family that she had stored away. The attack was all Mechanoid 274's initiative, while it was 10/6 that gave the fleet the route and coordinates.

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 31, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sheep-dodger posted:

Uh, we may have read that very differently if that was your takeaway. The killbot Mechanoid 274 that 10/6 was chopped into attacked the migrant fleet trying to take them out, and since in their doctrine the central ship was the command ship it headed straight for the ship in the centre. Turns out though that it was the creche ship of the migrant fleet and coming face to face with the children was what allowed 10/6 to break her programming by pulling up the memories of family that she had stored away. The attack was all Mechanoid 274's initiative, while it was 10/6 that gave the fleet the route and coordinates.

Thanks

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Xarbala posted:

Actually, TenSixths is an ascended human mind that was torn out of post-human-extinction digital heaven and thrown into a robot body by humanity's negligent successor race, the Archons (who in turn were also the negligent and sometimes abusive precursors to the vast majority of the different races of the galaxy today). And has repeatedly shown sufficient sentimentality to such a degree that people have been taken aback by it. No utilitarian robomind would go through the trouble of "peacefully" disabling a refugee fleet's engines, let its also-once-human-children (who, like her, were also uploaded digital minds shoved into robot bodies) tell the refugees what their human names were, and then give the refugees directions to vital supplies they would need to survive their exodus. She may also be fiercely pragmatic, which suited being placed into a warship for a body, but she's still clearly clinging on to her humanity as hard as she can.

Her entire motivation was determined by vote to be Family, and Jenni is Family too.

good point but i'm sticking to my vote

B and C might fail, leading to catastrophe, and A leads to catastrophe by definition

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Voting closes in ~5hours, 12PM EDT.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
There's a lot of things the Captain will risk, but I don't think losing their adopted family is one of them. We'd sacrifice the Jenni-- and suffer the psychological trauma that comes with making a Sophie's Choice. D

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The Jenni, Impact T-minus 00:05:34

The Kaltorans crewing The Jenni with you look at you with barely contained panic. You take no notice, already inputting new course vectors.
“Ma’am, what do we do?

Caliban Luck. A smart lad, but still a bit wet behind the ears. You answer without looking up from your calculations.
You all are going to get into the escape pods and eject while I use The Jenni to detonate the threat beyond the MSD.”
“But ma’a-”

Caliban stops short as your gaze swings to him, the damaged half of your faceplate arcing slightly.
“What makes you think that was a suggestion young man? Escape pods. Now.

The Jenni begins its ascent as the crew hurries to the pods. The ship shudders as they eject over the plateau, and with a few commands you send an additional item with them.

“ESCAPE PODS 1, 2, AND 3 AWAY SAFE. PALANTOR COMMUNICATION BLADE JETTISONED. WARNING: CURRENT COURSE AND SPEED WILL RESULT IN IMPACT IN 75 SECONDS.”

You give the console a friendly pat and continue locking in your course and overloading the power core. The ship’s oft-abused engines begin to shriek with the effort of pushing its bulk through the pressure wave forming at the bow. A few final keystrokes and The Jenni can do the rest. You head to the final bridge pod, trailing a hand along the bulkhead. You key the hatch and pause, looking around on last time.
“Well done Old Girl. You were a hunk of junk I found on a scrapheap, but you suited my needs. You deserve better than this, I’m sorry.”

You swing into the pod and trigger the release, watching through the plexscreen as a rapidly receding The Jenni slams into the falling Hadrian vessel. She begins to push the enemy ship upwards a few meters before her core detonates, enveloping both ships in a blinding white light. Your pod is screaming at you about unexpected course corrections when the shockwave hits, sending you tumbling at far more Gs than the pod was designed for. The green ground and blue sky trade places in your plexscreen, quickly becoming a muddled blur.

And then there is a sound like the world ending, a sudden jolt, and blackness.

+++++
The Nebula Dancer, over Waistra Plateau

The bridge of a Twi-Far vessel is basically a concert and light-show when in operation, colored tiles and musical chimes conveying the information most species use holograms for. Korote stifles a cough in her elbow, the atmosphere of the ship still carrying the remnants of the Hadrian boarders’ incendiary grenades. A new tone sounds, and she looks up hopefully and her color brightens a bit.
“Lifepod recovered Captain, the last of the Kaltoran crew.”
“Good, good. Any sign of Captain TenSixths’ pod?”
“No Captain, not since the transponder signal was lost in the explosion.”

Korote slams her fist in frustration, causing a discordant chord.
“Shoals and Rapids! I am not returning to the Flotilla to tell them I lost our best bet at gaining an ally against the Oni! Scan for gamma emissions, if her frame is based on Mechanoid tech she may have a nuclear reactor for power.”

The bridge crew redouble their efforts, all hoping that their Captain’s Faren could keep her temper in check. Already her colors were cycling, signs of an internal debate.
“Yes. I know that G’lan, but she’s still our best hope. Even if she is somewhat reduced nowadays.”

The door to the bridge opens, and the soft squelch of shifting vegetation joining the chorus. Korote turns to see First-In-The-Sky standing there, its mask held at an inquisitive angle. It still bears the scorches of the incendiary grenades, but she can see fresh growth poking through. She shuddered a bit internally at the implication. Korote enjoyed the presence of the Zhou passengers, but some aspects of their lifecycle were a bit… much.
“Shakes-The-Trees sleeps now, we have returned him to the Forest. First-In-The-Sky is now Biggest Brother, Biggest Sky-Friend Korote-Runs-the-Ship.”
“Ah. Well, I hope he strengthens all the Brothers, Big and Little.”

First-In-The-Sky rearranges its mass in a rolling pattern, a Zhou bow. It approaches the Captain’s Podium, rocking its mask back and forth inquisitively at the colors and sounds.
“The Sky-Friends still seek Mother-Locked-In-Metal? Maybe she too sleeps? Do the Metal-Brothers return to the forest?”
“I don’t think so First-In-the-Sky. And I hope she doesn’t sle-”
“Gamma radiation Captain! On the north side of Waistra Lake!”
“Full speed pilot, don’t spare the engines!”

+++++
The lone figure sits on a large rock a bit up from the waterline, paying no attention as the Nebula Dancer hovers above and sends down a shuttle. Between the figure and the water is the partially pulped corpse of an aquatic horror, several of its teeth still embedded in the figure’s body. Korote approaches it, a tentative smile on her face.
“Captain TenSixths? Are you alright?”

The figure turns slightly, and regards Korote with its scorched and melted faceplate. It produces rough, unmodulated sound that shortly resolves into words:

“No
WE
are
NOT
okay.”

=====
A: Inhale. Count To Four. Exhale
You have too many people depending on you, you can’t lose your poo poo right now. Get it together and move past the situation.
B: A Dish Best Served Cold
It won’t be today. Or even next week. But you will have vengeance someday, and it will be total and devastating.
C: An Unfortunate Relapse
MULTIPLE MISSION-CRITICAL THREATS DETECTED. IMMEDIATE COUNTERATTACK REQUIRED FOR THREAT_CLINE, THREAT_HADRIAN, THREAT_PALADINC. DEATH TO THE FLESH, ALL HAIL THE NEW MACHINE.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 2, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B It will be terrible to behold.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
A

We will have our revenge of course, but we will not be overwhelmed by it. We must remain in complete control.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

C is tempting but I'm going with B. We can still release a LITTLE of our inner killbot, at some more opportune time. When we have more resources for it.

we have a war crimes mad scientist, may as well keep her good and busy

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
A

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

B, with a rider that we are not lapsing, we are intending on paying back insult and offence with systematic, calculated vengeance. We will not shy away, we will not falter, and we will avenge every life that was lost from our care.
They were family, they were innocent, they were ours.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hexenritter posted:

B, with a rider that we are not lapsing, we are intending on paying back insult and offence with systematic, calculated vengeance. We will not shy away, we will not falter, and we will avenge every life that was lost from our care.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Hexenritter posted:

I don't want it to be all consuming but i like the gist of this

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Blasphemaster posted:

"I loving SWEAR I will chop your bodies into little bits, lace them with a dormant FLESH EATING SUPERVIRUS, and mail them across the systems to be FORCE FED TO YOUR RESPECTIVE ENTIRE EXTENDED FAMILIES."

B.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A.

We’re better than these meatbag toddlers. We do not succumb to emotion. Revenge is beneath us.

Cline and Hadrian are useful tools. Even when paid off Cline failed to inconvenience us. If anything he lured our opponent into a false sense of security. Hadrian are mercs and haven’t crossed any lines worth getting upset about.

Paladin is the only group to really cause offense, but they’re small and unimportant. If giving them a bloody nose is enough to make them bugger off then I’d rather not give them any more of our time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ehh, I think we need to slap Cline on the wrist if nothing else. Don't want other randos deciding they can gently caress us over without consequence. I don't have a particular idea for it, but I'm sure something will come up.

or we could just go all wergild and demand some sort of compensation or consideration for the trouble he's caused us

Good point on the Hadrians, but Paladin (or at least this particular branch) needs to be made an example if it's at all personally convenient.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

A and B seem mutually compatible, seeing as they operate on two different time scales.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hexenritter posted:

:yeah:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

B, but with enough C shining through to make people who know what to look out for worry about us.

Oh, an order the biolab to start work on that flesh-eating supervirus.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

or we could just go all wergild and demand some sort of compensation or consideration for the trouble he's caused us

I’m all for using the grievance of the attack as leverage. Cline doesn’t know he failed to cut our comms. Let’s let him think he did and coerce him into cutting us in on that sweet bribe money once he finds out he bet on the wrong horse. In exchange we’ll forget to use him as a human battery like the protagonists of the Matrix movies did with their enemies.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

malbogio posted:

I’m all for using the grievance of the attack as leverage. Cline doesn’t know he failed to cut our comms. Let’s let him think he did and coerce him into cutting us in on that sweet bribe money once he finds out he bet on the wrong horse. In exchange we’ll forget to use him as a human battery like the protagonists of the Matrix movies did with their enemies.

I'd like to add this to my vote too. Cline was at least contrite, so he doesn't get the brunt of our ire. He must however,as GreyjoyBastard so aptly put it, pay wergild.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hexenritter posted:

I'd like to add this to my vote too. Cline was at least contrite, so he doesn't get the brunt of our ire. He must however,as GreyjoyBastard so aptly put it, pay wergild.

Or we make with the slicing and dicing and so forth whence pain amplifiers will be involved. Because we're so nice as to give them a small chance at redemption.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

Or we make with the slicing and dicing and so forth whence pain amplifiers will be involved. Because we're so nice as to give them a small chance at redemption.

Well, I never said don't do that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Hexenritter posted:

Luckily, Corporation law is based on fining the guilty party based on the amount of revenue lost or brand damage. We can probably get a wrongful damages prosecution against Cline, he doesn't have the primo lawyers Hadrian and the Cobsortium have