Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I found for manhandela it helps to stand close, but just out of range of the poison attack, while holding block. If it does a seed barrage you just get in a boomerang after it ends. Gohma tends to do eye beam attacks when you stand at a decent distance, I don't really know what provokes Dododongo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

They seem to expose their weak point much less the lower health they are. So if I have a full magic bar I save it for when it's under 50% life already.

The worst one is Ganon on adventure maps when you can't find a drat bow upgrade for light arrows anywhere (unless I'm missing something here), thankfully he's rare.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
A weird change I just noticed from Legends- when you use a fairy nuke, I think the magic aura stays around your character instead of being placed wherever you cast it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kongming posted:

They seem to expose their weak point much less the lower health they are. So if I have a full magic bar I save it for when it's under 50% life already.

The worst one is Ganon on adventure maps when you can't find a drat bow upgrade for light arrows anywhere (unless I'm missing something here), thankfully he's rare.

You do not need an upgraded bow for Ganon. Technically you don't need it in the story level, either; I got a shot at him before I was given the light arrows and it put him down just as well. Just shoot him with the regular bow when the jewel on his forehead glows and you're good to go.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Oxyclean posted:

This game's difficulty makes no sense. Ghirahim's 4+ weapon mission is absurdly hard to the point I couldn't manage an A with Shiek's 4+.

Ghirahim is plenty capable of doing his Lv. 4+ weapon mission himself, though it being a red square does limit when he can do it.

Though, I'm curious: What problems did you encounter when doing it that kept you from the A Rank? I know of one particular thing that throws a curveball at most players in that mission.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Shadowlyger posted:

You do not need an upgraded bow for Ganon. Technically you don't need it in the story level, either; I got a shot at him before I was given the light arrows and it put him down just as well. Just shoot him with the regular bow when the jewel on his forehead glows and you're good to go.

drat, I'm almost positive I tried shooting him with the normal bow and nothing happened...I guess I didn't try hard enough.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I can't even get past that skull-kid mission you need for Shiek's 4+, Darunia shows up with like 4 big poes and wrecks me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

Ghirahim is plenty capable of doing his Lv. 4+ weapon mission himself, though it being a red square does limit when he can do it.

Though, I'm curious: What problems did you encounter when doing it that kept you from the A Rank? I know of one particular thing that throws a curveball at most players in that mission.

The enemy damage I think was the thing that lost me my rank - everything was just shredding my health even with the water shield. Stuff also feels like it has a lot of health. Keeping up with the mission felt difficult - I couldn't get both bombchus at the start - they have too much and are too far apart, I'm not sure if my Ghirahim has the damage to help enough (still has a rank 1 weapon.) Once I clear the first objective my keep gets swarmed while Toon Link goes off to fight Volga and I basically need to run off and heal him before I can clear my keep out. I think if I were to keep Toon Zelda alive, she might keep some of that stuff out of my keep?

The enemies just feel surprisingly tanky for having a 4+ weapon.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

The enemy damage I think was the thing that lost me my rank - everything was just shredding my health even with the water shield. Stuff also feels like it has a lot of health. Keeping up with the mission felt difficult - I couldn't get both bombchus at the start - they have too much and are too far apart, I'm not sure if my Ghirahim has the damage to help enough (still has a rank 1 weapon.) Once I clear the first objective my keep gets swarmed while Toon Link goes off to fight Volga and I basically need to run off and heal him before I can clear my keep out. I think if I were to keep Toon Zelda alive, she might keep some of that stuff out of my keep?

The enemies just feel surprisingly tanky for having a 4+ weapon.

That was the thing I remember being something that would stump a couple players. I particularly remember Volga's keep having an elemental barrier: dispelling that let's Toon Link hold his own for a while against Volga while you clear out the Allied Base.

Practically all red square Lv. 4+ weapon missions are like this. Enemies do butt-high damage and you need to start watching your health because even a single hit can take away a ton of hearts.

You've also hit on one of the reason for why Sheik eventually falls from the lofty standards of breaking the game over it's knee for you: Enemies eventually do so much damage that one hit is more than enough to destroy the shield, and Sheik's moveset is not particularly safe when she does not have the shield to fall back on.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Moon Monster posted:

I can't even get past that skull-kid mission you need for Shiek's 4+, Darunia shows up with like 4 big poes and wrecks me.

I barely managed to scrape through that with two potions and the free revive from a Light fairy. I levelled him up to 30 and got him as many badges as I could before I attempted it. I still only barely managed it. Grab a Light fairy if you don't have one already. She's very early in the first adventure map.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

That was the thing I remember being something that would stump a couple players. I particularly remember Volga's keep having an elemental barrier: dispelling that let's Toon Link hold his own for a while against Volga while you clear out the Allied Base.

Practically all red square Lv. 4+ weapon missions are like this. Enemies do butt-high damage and you need to start watching your health because even a single hit can take away a ton of hearts.

You've also hit on one of the reason for why Sheik eventually falls from the lofty standards of breaking the game over it's knee for you: Enemies eventually do so much damage that one hit is more than enough to destroy the shield, and Sheik's moveset is not particularly safe when she does not have the shield to fall back on.

Ah okay, I think on my second attempt I did clear the barrier and it helped, but Toon Link still got whittled down to the point I had to dip out and check on him. I might give it another go with Link, who doesn't have a 4+ yet but a strong level 3. I think the only other 4+ I have unlocked so far is Tetra's. I still haven't figured out how to get to Links' other 4+ missions in Lorule since I've run into a lot road blocks where I have a mission that requires me to use a weak character, either because that tile is between me and where I want to get, or it has the item I need to unlock a path in another tile.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
When characters are your allies, is their strength and health based on the level they'are at in your roster? I'm talking about when they're the version of themselves that you can't switch to during a battle. I'm just curious, I don't have any particular reason to ask this.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They are fixed.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Viridiant posted:

When characters are your allies, is their strength and health based on the level they'are at in your roster? I'm talking about when they're the version of themselves that you can't switch to during a battle. I'm just curious, I don't have any particular reason to ask this.

No. It's only if you can switch between them. It's especially noticeable on the Koei Villain Trio, since they will blatantly use their CPU moveset to fight.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do we got a dummies guide to faeries? I see stat gains and stat reductions from food and it makes me hesitant to start shoving food into my pet's throats.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Does powered bow stunlock not work in this version? I'm only up to the master sword in Legend mode with this version, but I'm seeing a lot of talk about difficult missions to get early weapons and bow stunlock is always my go-to for cheesing with underpowered characters.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im really dumb and bad at figuring out how to beat bosses

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the most dreaded message in the game? I always hate when I am trying to beat the boss "Allied base is in immediate danger"

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Rirse posted:

What the most dreaded message in the game? I always hate when I am trying to beat the boss "Allied base is in immediate danger"

The worst message is by far "Cucco was enraged by the attack and is plotting it's revenge!"

It's an insta-restart for me

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
"Defeat The Imprisoned, The Imprisoned, and The Imprisoned" for me.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Leal posted:

Do we got a dummies guide to faeries? I see stat gains and stat reductions from food and it makes me hesitant to start shoving food into my pet's throats.

I feel like I also need one of these.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My Fairy in a nutshell (I'm not the biggest expert but this is what I know from the 3DS version and a bit of the switch stuff I did):

1) You can only have a limited number of fairies. If you get an extra one, you can send one home.
2) Each fairy has an element corresponding to it, that affects its damage and which clothing boosts their abilities.
3) Dresses count as both Shirt and Pants slot, and offers Power Up to both slots, whereas Shirt and Pants have a single Power up and a single Cost Down if you use that. (I prefer the latter but that's just me)
4) Each fairy has an ability to start with, and unlock further ones as they level up.
4a) Abilities that can be equipped are determined by the Fairy's personality traits. Ex: FAIRY SKILL K requires Smiley 100 and Friendly 100, so to equip it you need Smiley 100 and Friendly 100.
4b) Feeding a fairy food can increase her level, and she will gain and lose points towards those personality traits.
4c) Any personality trait she currently does not have will appear in Red when you preview the skill.
5) When a fairy hits the level cap (I forget whether it's 99 or 100) you can reincarnate her, to change one of her personality traits and give her a small bonus to all her traits.
6) All fairies have a favorite type of food. I don't remember the full details of what determines this.
7) Gold Food will respawn in the maps where you originally got them, so if you really want to hunt a particular type of food, you can redo completed maps. Fairies you dismissed will also show up where they were initially found as well.

I personally like the "Respawn Allied Keep Power when in Allied Keeps" fairy ability, which you can get fairly easily from the base Light Fairy you get close to the start.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

where are the boy fairies

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You unlock him relatively early on in the Adventure mode...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tingle is too old to be a boy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What are the best practices for upgrading weapons?

Is it as simple as “keep the highest damage weapon with the most slots, upgrade abilities for that weapon as you see fit, sell the rest?” Obviously the responsible min/maxer is going to want multiple upgraded weapons, one a lot of damage upgrades, one with farming upgrades, etc.

For damage though, is it better to upgrade individual combos, or your primary elemental type? Do upgrades for damage reflect themselves in the damage number associated with the weapon?

Also, is any given character more likely to find upgrades for their own weapons, or is it all random for everybody?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 31, 2018

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Senerio posted:

My Fairy in a nutshell (I'm not the biggest expert but this is what I know from the 3DS version and a bit of the switch stuff I did):

1) You can only have a limited number of fairies. If you get an extra one, you can send one home.
2) Each fairy has an element corresponding to it, that affects its damage and which clothing boosts their abilities.
3) Dresses count as both Shirt and Pants slot, and offers Power Up to both slots, whereas Shirt and Pants have a single Power up and a single Cost Down if you use that. (I prefer the latter but that's just me)
4) Each fairy has an ability to start with, and unlock further ones as they level up.
4a) Abilities that can be equipped are determined by the Fairy's personality traits. Ex: FAIRY SKILL K requires Smiley 100 and Friendly 100, so to equip it you need Smiley 100 and Friendly 100.
4b) Feeding a fairy food can increase her level, and she will gain and lose points towards those personality traits.
4c) Any personality trait she currently does not have will appear in Red when you preview the skill.
5) When a fairy hits the level cap (I forget whether it's 99 or 100) you can reincarnate her, to change one of her personality traits and give her a small bonus to all her traits.
6) All fairies have a favorite type of food. I don't remember the full details of what determines this.
7) Gold Food will respawn in the maps where you originally got them, so if you really want to hunt a particular type of food, you can redo completed maps. Fairies you dismissed will also show up where they were initially found as well.

I personally like the "Respawn Allied Keep Power when in Allied Keeps" fairy ability, which you can get fairly easily from the base Light Fairy you get close to the start.

Is there a way to know which abilities are automatic and which you have to activate. Because I will never both to activate them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Is it as simple as “keep the highest damage weapon with the most slots, upgrade abilities for that weapon as you see fit, sell the rest?” Obviously the responsible min/maxer is going to want multiple upgraded weapons, one a lot of damage upgrades, one with farming upgrades, etc.

For damage though, is it better to upgrade individual combos, or your primary elemental type? Do upgrades for damage reflect themselves in the damage number associated with the weapon?

Also, is any given character more likely to find upgrades for their own weapons, or is it all random for everybody?

I hold weapon damage above all else, but I can't say I'm keen on the impact of the abilities. I keep some spare stuff with +rupee/material/slots/stars around so I can staple them onto any upgrades I get.

I think elemental type only effects attacks that use that element, (so certain combo strings?) and I think they might only effect some aspect of that element, like the water debuff lasts longer, rather then it being a damage up? Someone made a post in the thread about how the elemental stuff works overall because there's like the stage and character element, and then there's combo element and specific enemy elemental weaknesses.

It feels like I almost always get one weapon for the character I'm playing.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It seems like it's never really worth it to go for locked skills if they're 1000 KOs (even if it only takes one map to unlock it generally) because they're almost always a ZR button Item+ skill. The interesting ones seem to come from the 3000 and 5000 KO locked skills. I've unlocked skills like "Heart Power" which is an attack bonus for every 5 full heart containers you have and Compatriot which is an attack bonus that scales by how many keeps you control. So if you have weapons sitting around with locked 3000 or 5000 KO skills, it might be worth your time to save them and grind them out on something like those KO challenge maps, then apply them to some high level 5* weapon. That's my plan at least, though I don't have enough L2 weapons unlocked yet to really start doing it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

elf help book posted:

Is there a way to know which abilities are automatic and which you have to activate. Because I will never both to activate them.

Common sense, mostly? If it's conditional then it will activate on the condition. If it's something like "Raises attack" it's activated.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

GreatGreen posted:

Folt can respond with a huge in depth analysis but the basics are:

The damage number is only indicative of the rank (1-4+) and the stars. Each star (up to 5) increases damage by I think 10%.

Skills are a different story.

For Elemental Skills, there are certain ones that are better than others. Always have Darkness+ on a dark weapon, never have water+ on a water weapon. Fire is okay if you have nothing else, lightning is situational (I generally only have it on the spinner because it's very easy to pop people into the air with that).

Attack Skills are nice for combos that you use, for example Linkle's C2 is her best officer WPG combo so I'll always have Strong Attack 2+ on whatever weapon I'm using, but I'll never have Strong Attack 4+ on it because the bomb spam is her most unreliable move. That said, those are the first skills to be removed if I don't have slots for them.

Bonus Skills are your farming skills. You can put all 6 on a weapon if you want, but they have no place on an "ultimate weapon".

KO Skills require 1,000 kills to unlock and only serve to enhance an item or give you special gauge every 300 KOs. Don't use them.

VS Skills require 2,000 kills to unlock and boost damage against a particular enemy group. VS Undead and VS Dragon are popular, Undead because of how common they are (Wizzro, Big Poe, Icy Big Poe, Gibdo, Redead Knight, Darknut, and Stalmaster) and Dragon because of how annoying they are (Volga, King Dodongo, Argorok, Lizalfos, Dinolfos, Aeralfos, Fiery Aeralfos). You can only have one of these per weapon, so don't make it Vs Sorceress (Lana and Cia).

SP Skills require 3,000 kills to unlock and you can only have one of them. The most common is No Healing, since if you've taken enough damage to need healing you've already lost the A Rank. Defenseless is also popular as many don't bother guarding, but they give the same power boost. Compatriot at full power is the strongest of the bunch, but that requires controlling 5 keeps and many missions don't have the keep capturing mechanic at all, making it much less powerful for those missions.

AUG Skills require 4,000 kills to unlock and you can have two of them. Hasty Attacks is a must since it basically makes you attack at Focus Spirit speed all the time. Focus Spirit+ is popular, as is Finishing Blow+, but it all depends on play style.

Lastly, the 5,000 kill skill, Heart Power, just scales upwards as your maximum hearts increases so go for it.

All that said, my Luminous Crossbows (Linkle 4+ weapon) has:
Hasty Attacks
No Healing
Str Attack 2+
Str Attack 3+
Reg Attack+
Vs Dragon
Heart Power
Fire+

Reg Attack+ could probably get changed out because her normal attacks kill all mooks already anyway, and Fire+ could probably get swapped out as well. I tend to use Fairy Magic more than Focus Spirit with her, so those +'s wouldn't make sense for my style.

Hopefully all that makes sense!

And all that said, this is for the 3DS version. I'm not sure if it changed at all for the Switch, I'm not that far into it.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 31, 2018

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Oyster posted:

SP Skills require 3,000 kills to unlock and you can only have one of them. The most common is No Healing, since if you've taken enough damage to need healing you've already lost the A Rank. Defenseless is also popular as many don't bother guarding, but they give the same power boost. Compatriot at full power is the strongest of the bunch, but that requires controlling 5 keeps and many missions don't have the keep capturing mechanic at all, making it much less powerful for those missions.

just wondering since I'm not that deep into the post-normal-legends stuff yet. what's with these skills? I assume they have a benefit?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Those skills all boost your attack.

Also of note is that most of these skills aren't unlocked until you have a bunch of Skulltulas.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

b_d posted:

just wondering since I'm not that deep into the post-normal-legends stuff yet. what's with these skills? I assume they have a benefit?

They boost the attack power, but that boost is not reflected in it's damage number. a 4+ 5 star will be 750 with No Healing and without it. No Healing, Defensless, and Sturdy Feet all boost by the same amount. Compatriot boosts depending on how many keeps you control, capping at I believe 5. At 5 it is stronger than the others, but you won't always be at that level, so I like to go with No Healing.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Oyster posted:

The most common is No Healing, since if you've taken enough damage to need healing you've already lost the A Rank.

Damage Taken is calculated way differently in this version. Getting hit in an All Attacks are Devastating map only seems to do 99 damage, regardless of how much health I've got, for instance.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's a percentage now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm think "all attacks are devastating" have always left you at 1 heart? I thought I remember it happening that way in Wii U.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, damage requirements are percentage now, so heart pieces matter again. That said, if the A rank requirements are 100% or less, hearts are still useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

What I want to know is, is there a way to tell what food boosts what element? I remember seeing it in the 3DS version but I haven't spotted it in the Switch one yet. My light fairy learned a lightning skill and that confused me. I don't have a lightning fairy yet.