Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
martina...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Viper and KLR are presumably out too with the whole World of Sport thing. Tam does seem to have been suddenly dropped when they were prepping her to be something big, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were her.

Wonder if we'll get an exploding bat match in Full Sail.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
if wwe has signed Tam im sending HHH a fruit basket

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I guess Rossy's getting on his hands and knees to beg HHH not to destroy his promotion during WM weekend didn't work

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

No Tam, No Life, Stardom.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro/status/1001286618953732097

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Io's final match was announced. June 17th, Mayu Iwatani and Io Shirai vs Hazuki and Kagetsu.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yo, Io vs Momo ruled. It's not up on Stardom World, but if you want to watch it now or you want to watch for free then go to https://fujitv.live/fujitv and sign up using your email address for a one day free trial. Then go to Channel 86 for Samurai TV, it aired yesterday (5/29) at 22:00. After watching the show, you can use the rest of your free day watching whatever Japanese wrestling you want on the channel (or Lucha Underground subtitled in Japanese if you ever wanted to do that) if you want, or I guess you can watch whatever else random Japanese TV you want.

I think I spotted you, Auritech, or at least someone who looked like a foreigner. Were you wearing a purple or blue T-shirt under an open shirt?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I like how Io's resignation announcement isn't up on the English Stardom twitter page yet. It seems like Sonny doesn't want to tweet it out for whatever reason. I do wish Dave would do even the slightest bit of research on Io's status with some of her former (probably soon to be current) coworkers though. He claims Asuka and Io still dislike each other, despite both of them coming out last year and saying they had mended bridges and were friends again.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think I spotted you, Auritech, or at least someone who looked like a foreigner. Were you wearing a purple or blue T-shirt under an open shirt?

I was wearing a light gray shirt but there was a foreigner next to me (whom I didn't know) that did wear a blue shirt. Samurai TV was also the reason why I couldn't take any pictures during the show; they requested no photos except during that dumb Drop Kick On My Devil segment.

I also got pretty close to the action when Hana Kimura threw someone into the seats near me and repeatedly hit her with an umbrella. It was fun!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Samurai TV cut out my one big appearance in a wrestling show then they edited out Jun Kasai stealing my beer to hit Takashi Iizuka at TakaTaichiMania so I haven't forgiven them for that.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I love that he repeated that spot with someone's can of coffee in his TJPW match with Hyper Misao, but then, I love literally every part of that match

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is Hazuki's robot dog new? I'm a big fan and I hope he sticks around longer than P and that truck Kagetsu had did.

Johnny Landmine posted:

I love that he repeated that spot with someone's can of coffee in his TJPW match with Hyper Misao, but then, I love literally every part of that match
There were definitely moments where it reminded me of a less insanely violent version of the Iizuka match. Suppose it's a good thing the butcher knives didn't come out in TJPW... Probably a sign I should watch more of his matches when he's two of my favourite matches this year and one was with Iizuka.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1001863048053731328

:thunk:

Also Hazuki was advertised for ROH shows. So she's probably off the table.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
So if it's not Hazuki or Hana (assuming she lets her Wrestle1 contract run out next year and signs then), is the assumption still Tam and/or Mayu? I could see either one of them fitting into the MYC if not necessarily NXT.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TheHock posted:

So if it's not Hazuki or Hana (assuming she lets her Wrestle1 contract run out next year and signs then), is the assumption still Tam and/or Mayu? I could see either one of them fitting into the MYC if not necessarily NXT.

In the STARS vs Oedo Tai match, it really seemed the focus shifted to Saki Kashima as the focus of the STARS team which makes me think its one of those two.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
It'd certainly explain why Tam went from working a main event program against Oedo Tai back to basically being a young girl within a couple months.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
It was Xia Brookside according to Dave. And he also reported that Io was pretty much devistated when she was at the WWE Tokyo show last year and felt it should have been her on that introduction video instead of Kairi.

I smell a massive blood feud incoming on NXT between Kairi and Io and it will goddamn rule.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Deonna Purazzo too. Xia should have been obvious but she just signed and the way Casey from SCS was talking sounded like it was a big name.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
More importantly hey guys did you know about how good tessa is? Dave is saying she is real close to signing with WWE or they should sign her because she was the standout at a Shimmer event or something. This only makes it the 613th time he has said that.

Please note I would place her match at 3rd or 4th best.

https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/984724281656598528?s=19

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 31, 2018

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Wait, in what universe was Tessa Blanchard one of the best women in the MYC? She was better than Marti Belle, sure, but there were ten women in that tournament whose name I would speak before hers would come up.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Auritech posted:

Wait, in what universe was Tessa Blanchard one of the best women in the MYC? She was better than Marti Belle, sure, but there were ten women in that tournament whose name I would speak before hers would come up.

Meltzer has blanket bombed the Observer with Tessa talk to the exclusion of most other indie women or NXT prospects for a number of years.

There's a bunch of not Tessa left this Summer inbound.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Wasn't Deonna ALLIN?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Xia got super jacked, so that only means good things.

Trust the swole.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tessa should be under WWE contract is the thing. She's a legacy and her works stands well on its own. She's aggressive, hits hard and sells equally well. Go back and watch her against Io Shirai, Rachel Ellering, or Jordynne Grace.

here's the one against Grace(whom I believe is quietly WWE-bound)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDmjvaQl4I

The only real knock against her is she believes her own hype and carries herself proudly. Reminds me a lot of CM Punk's Zero poo poo Taken attitude. This rubs people the wrong way because she's not a proven draw. Biggest problem facing women's wrestling is there's no definitive spot that wrestlers can get to that shows the hype matches the skill level.

Cagematch is down for me right now but I can't think of the last time a women's only card drew more than 1000. Maybe a mania weekend show?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Also Tessa has a horrible attitude problem. Not just buying into her own hype either. I remember hearing stories about her latest STARDOM tour where she spent time making GBS threads on the rookies apparently. Who were wrestling better matches than her. And that in turn pissed off the STARDOM roster, which is most likely why she hasn't been brought back.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Also Tessa's finish looks terrible 90% of the time and she still gets mad every time they mess it up.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Apparently a lot of people are mad that Io is signing with WWE?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Io is mad that she's signing with wwe. she's only doing it to sate her Io ego and knows she won't enjoy it at all

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DarkstarIV posted:

Also Tessa has a horrible attitude problem. Not just buying into her own hype either. I remember hearing stories about her latest STARDOM tour where she spent time making GBS threads on the rookies apparently. Who were wrestling better matches than her. And that in turn pissed off the STARDOM roster, which is most likely why she hasn't been brought back.

Hard to tell what actually went down. Rossy won't talk about it and Tessa says she'd like to return schedule permitting. Everyone I know that's met her says she was at the very least, polite. I'm still waiting for lovely Tessa stories that aren't hearsay or repeated by people who weren't there.

Here's the source I believe you're referencing:

some redditor rear end in a top hat i've never heard of posted:

Xalazi
78 points
·
1 year ago
I think it's fair to say that Tessa is a very polarizing person. She has a lot of friends in the business and she has a lot of people that she rubs the wrong way. She can be a bit of a heat-seeking missile.

Let use Stardom as an example. She recently spent close to a month there for the 5 Star Grand Prix tournament. The following events happened:

She is very good friends with Kay Lee Ray and Toni Storm. I believe that KLR and Tessa knew each other prior to this Tournament, but I think this was the first time that Toni and Tessa met and worked together. By all accounts, all three ladies got along really well and had a great time.

A Scotish wrestler by the name of Courtney Stewart got into a couple of confrontations with Tessa. By all accounts, Courtney started it. Courtney ended up rage quitting Stardom before the tournament was over. Ironically, this meant that Tessa won her braket due to Kairi Hojo also dropping out due to a concussion.

On social media Tessa seem to get a long very well with Kairi Hojo and Kris Wolf. It's worth noting that everyone loves Kairi and Kris. It's basically impossible not to get along with them.

On Tessa's last day in Stardom there was an incidient during a match with a veteran wrestler named Kagetsu. Kagetsu was a mainstay of the Joshi scene. She works for various companies. She's one of the best workers in the world today. She's a part of Stardom's Tag Team and Trios champions. Here is a play by play of the match:

It seems to me like Kagetsue had some "communications issues" with Tessa. We missed all of their crowd brawling because the camera was following Kris and Toni. It's possible that something happened there. When Kagetsu and Tessa got back in the ring(around the 9:39 mark), that's when things started going off the rails. Kagetsu had Tessa in a chinlock. It looked to me like she wasn't letting Tessa up, and Toni came in to break it up. Normally in a spot like that I would expect Toni and Kagetsu, and Kris and Tessa to pair off, but they didn't. Kagetsu and Tessa did a strike exchange at the 10:02 mark. It looks like the strike exchange was a little too snug for Tessa's liking. I think I heard her say "watch out" at that point and they moved on to the ropes taunt. That looked fine. At the 10:37 mark, Kagetsu asks Blue Nikita to throw Tessa back in the ring. She does, but Nikita also gives Tessa a wedgie, which Tessa very clearly calls out. Then we have another strike exchange. At the 10:56 mark Tessa went to throw Kagetsu to the outside, and Kagetsu was having none of it. Tessa is very clearly frustrated. She tries to throw Kagetsu out against her will, fails, and Kagetsu has pretty much stopped working at this point. Tessa throws Kagetsu into her corner and tags in KLR. Kagetsu is still not working at this point. Things got back on track when Toni tagged back in and started working with Kagetsu at 11:53.

So yeah, make of all of that what you will.

Save

Xalazi
48 points
·
1 year ago
I forgot to mention one thing, performance wise, Tessa is the single worse wrestler to ever step in a Stardom ring. Which is ironic, because she's actually not a bad wrestler per say. Her basics are good and she's a good enough athlete. The thing is that when things don't go according to plan she falls to pieces, and she is totally unable(or unwilling) to work a Japanese style. Here is my review of the 5 Star Grand Prix tournament final between Tessa and Yoko Bito, a solid worker that has good to very good matches with everyone else:

(Deep Sigh).,...well, it was a match. These two have zero chemistry. There were some crazy stupid botches. Tessa throwing “Knees”/”Kicks”(I honestly can’t tell which) to Yoko on the ropes, while Yoko didn’t react at all looked laughably bad. Yoko totally made a mess of Tessa’s running cutter, a move that everyone else in this tournament has taken without problems. That might be the worse botch I’ve seen all year. Beyond the mistakes, the match went on way too long. Tessa had the heat forever and ever and ever. Her taunting of the Japanese crowd in English went over extremely poorly. Considering that this was the finals of a major tournament, this might be the worst match in Stardom this year. The only real positive that I can take from this match is that both ladies worked hard.

She also had a couple of terrible matches with Kris Wolf, and she had a mediocre match with Io Shirai, who is the best female worker in the world right now.

Save

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Junpei Hyde posted:

Apparently a lot of people are mad that Io is signing with WWE?

Yeah. There are people mad. Will Osprey is one, and a bunch of others online are as well. Because she should be on the indies forever in their eyes. Please note that most Japanese fans are supportive of her move to WWE. It's only the English speaking portion I've seen a lot of complaints out of. I know when the WON story came out today, some went as far to say that she's a dumbass for being incredibly upset about not being able to sign with WWE [at the time] and pursue her dream and further her career. They want her to remain in Japan and be like Meiko Satomura at the very most. However unlike Meiko, she has higher ambitions and has hit a hard ceiling in STARDOM.

Oh yeah, English joshi fans are starting to call her a sellout for signing with WWE. :psyduck:

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 31, 2018

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah. There are people mad. Will Osprey is one, and a bunch of others online are as well. Because she should be on the indies forever in their eyes. Please note that most Japanese fans are supportive of her move to WWE. It's only the English speaking portion I've seen a lot of complaints out of. I know when the WON story came out today, some went as far to say that she's a dumbass for being incredibly upset about not being able to sign with WWE [at the time] and pursue her dream and further her career. They want her to remain in Japan and be like Meiko Satomura at the very most. However unlike Meiko, she has higher ambitions and has hit a hard ceiling in STARDOM.

Oh yeah, English joshi fans are starting to call her a sellout for signing with WWE. :psyduck:

Apparently Asuka is their example of why she shouldn't even tho Asuka was pushed about as well as WWE will push anyone

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I've seen people bring up Kairi getting beaten by a punch in five minutes but not Asuka.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Junpei Hyde posted:

Apparently Asuka is their example of why she shouldn't even tho Asuka was pushed about as well as WWE will push anyone

Yeah, that's the thing. People also claim Kairi is done for and will never amount to anything in WWE, but I'm pretty sure she's going to be in the NXT Women's Title picture after Chicago. Hell, I'm thinking she'll be the one to take the title from Shayna. They do have unfinished business after all. They each have one win against each other on televised programs. And I wouldn't rule out Asuka taking the title from Carmella at Money in the Bank. WWE is still a business and will want to have an attractive match card to drive up network subscriptions for Summerslam.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

This is the same attitude indie rock fans have when a band they champion actually gets signed to a major label. It’s petty and dumb. I wouldn’t blame Io for wanting to show her incredible talent to as wide an audience as possible even if it means going through the VKM meatgrinder. If one day she can find herself in the center of a 50-70k seat arena that’s a hell of a lot better than most of her detractors will ever achieve.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Auritech posted:

She had only one match, but it was easily the best match in the first round.

The people bitching about Io are ridiculous. She's never struck me as lifer like Satomura, I'm betting if she stays she's retired in a couple of years.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

There is also the subsect of people who are tired of the take that "She's done all she could in Stardom!" because this is seems to be used only when great indie wrestlers get signed to WWE and not vice versa.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not saying it isn't a reflection of the reality in joshi wrestling, but it's kinda weird that 38-year-old Meiko Satomura is viewed in the same light as a male wrestler still sticking around into his 50s.

I really doubt WWE bury Io or whatever, but I can easily see them sapping away any interest I have in her and making her feel like just another person they have on their ridiculous roster like they've done to pretty much everyone else in the past year or so. Hopefully we get some really great matches before that happens and she gets a lot of new fans along the way because she deserves to be talked about among the likes of AJ Styles and Little Kazu.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i heard io got a special wellness clause in her contract and it's not for her heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/RISEdtwa/status/1001087304637743105
Anyone watch this yesterday?