Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Rabbi T. White posted:

All that matters is that DS9 has Garak, so is Best Trek.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SiKboy posted:

"What if space, but cowboys?" isnt really an original enough concept to worry about which of a handful of shows did it "first". And in any case, not one of you fuckers even mentioned Bravestarr.

I mean, Star Trek was literally pitched as "Wagon Train in space".

Tom Tucker posted:

The West Wind Season 3 Episode (_), Isaac and Ishmael

There were exactly two good parts of this episode:

* The commercial bumpers where the actors asked for donations for relief organizations, and
* The "Muslims are to Muslim extremists as Christians are to the KKK" comparison, which is still pretty accurate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Damnit, I'm gonna have to download Space Above and Beyond and relive my HS freshman year aren't I? Maybe I should look up Erin Mizwicki and see if she can break up with me at TWIRP all over again while I'm at it.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

c'mon, you know the answer was 'there aren't any qualified Asian actors!' (meaning 'we rely on a casting agency that doesn't have a good stable of anyone non-white, and no one is willing to put in the effort to try to find someone when these are just featured extras and BG characters anyway' - the majority of racism in film and tv is white laziness taken to a new extreme).

The entertainment industry is, if anything else, all about traveling the path of least resistance

No argument there, but in terms of an in-series explanation, my assumption worked well enough and it's not as harsh as reality. Both the reality of how Hollywood does it's casting, and the reality of the discriminatory undercurrent that exists in America.

If I'm watching a empty-headed show or movie, I don't want reality, I want to be entertained. The real world doesn't need to be part of it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\/\ I getcha, though that's an awful lot of thinking to avoid....thinking

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've been watching a bit of Galaxy Express 999 and I'm sure a similar 'space western' could be attributed to that, as well..

Oh totally, although there's a whole series of crazy 70s/80s anime sci-fi space operas that border on space westerns, for a while it was a Thing because of the popularity of Star Wars

JediTalentAgent posted:

Star Wars:ANH Tatooine stuff is likely very easily an example of space western as much as anything else, too.

It absolutely is (and Lucas will admit it), all the imagery is designed to evoke it and it's got a cantina scene where people freeze to look at who enters, and a moment where the experienced 'gunman' takes down another guy at the bar to prove his worth. And the Han Solo EU stuff was always Han as Space Cowboy.

And then you have all the Treks of varius types as well, though I'd argue they pretty quickly stop being 'space western' and eventually are just 'space diplomacy'

JediTalentAgent posted:

Keeping in mind, I remember when Van Helsing came out and people were calling it a Vampire Hunter D rip-off because of a HAT.

Yeahhhhhh I remember that

But anyway, my point wasn't what came first, it was just to say that Outlaw Star is bouncing boobs trash and Cowboy Bebop does it better.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 03:56 on May 31, 2018

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

/\/\/\ I getcha, though that's an awful lot of thinking to avoid....thinking

Not really?

At the end of it though, I don't have a lot of time for watching TV and movies (mostly because I don't make time for it, and am otherwise busy) except in short bursts, sometimes months apart, so if it's fiction I'm watching, it's to detach for a while.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

kupachek posted:

Not really?

At the end of it though, I don't have a lot of time for watching TV and movies (mostly because I don't make time for it, and am otherwise busy) except in short bursts, sometimes months apart, so if it's fiction I'm watching, it's to detach for a while.

Hey you can watch all the garbage you want, just don't get picky when people point out its faults because you like to watch garbage.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

ryonguy posted:

Hey you can watch all the garbage you want, just don't get picky when people point out its faults because you like to watch garbage.

Nah, not being picky, just explaining the rational behind that concept. And although I have willingly watched some real garbage, firefly amazingly enough doesn't even make the list for 'bad' because there is so much worse out there.

Tonight is "Have Gun - Will Travel", which actually cast Chinese actors to fill the roles of Chinese characters. No Peter Sellers, Sidney Toler or Roland Winters required!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oh totally, although there's a whole series of crazy 70s/80s anime sci-fi space operas that border on space westerns, for a while it was a Thing because of the popularity of Star Wars

There was at least one American show with the same premise, called Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Star Wars rip-off Battle Beyond the Stars had George Peppard wearing a cowboy hat and squirting liquor from his belt like bullets in a bandoleer.

So yeah, uncharted frontiers are all about cowboys regardless of location.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mu Zeta posted:

Isaac and Ishmael was lovely on day one. I was a kid and my eyes did a 360 roll when one of the students asked if all Muslims were terrorists.

It was a bad episode, but there was (and still is) a significant portion of the country that believes all Muslims are terrorists, so it actually didn't seem that out of line. I think the episode had a good intent, just terribly executed because they rushed it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bird in a Blender posted:

It was a bad episode, but there was (and still is) a significant portion of the country that believes all Muslims are terrorists, so it actually didn't seem that out of line. I think the episode had a good intent, just terribly executed because they rushed it.

It's sad that what you're saying is true, but at the same time, the show's target audience was not those people. It was just lazy and annoying for the people that were already watching the show.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A political drama full of intelligent and honourable characters has aged badly.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This probably falls more into line for another thread, but whenever a movie/TV show has a fictional president, all I can think is that it's automatically sci-fi because it's an alternate reality.

edit: I don't know what the hell I should think of Contact with that mindset.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

kupachek posted:

Nah, not being picky, just explaining the rational behind that concept.
It's okay because I am using a different word, you see.

quote:

And although I have willingly watched some real garbage, firefly amazingly enough doesn't even make the list for 'bad' because there is so much worse out there.
Nah it's bad and Joss Whedon is an overrated hack.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm going to say I never got into Buffy and only watched a few episodes of the last season of Angel, but if you were any sort of geek in the 90s/early 00s, you couldn't avoid either. It always sort of annoyed me that Xena got largely pushed to the side and forgotten once Buffy came out.

I'm not saying Xena/Herc aged super well, it's been a LONG time since I've seen either one to really be able to say they're still good/bad. I will always feel they had a bit of a fun charm to them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm going to say I never got into Buffy and only watched a few episodes of the last season of Angel, but if you were any sort of geek in the 90s/early 00s, you couldn't avoid either. It always sort of annoyed me that Xena got largely pushed to the side and forgotten once Buffy came out.

I'm not saying Xena/Herc aged super well, it's been a LONG time since I've seen either one to really be able to say they're still good/bad. I will always feel they had a bit of a fun charm to them.

Herc aged better than Kevin Sorbo did imo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hercules would kick backward and hit a guy in the knee which in turn made him kick backward and hit the guy behind him which I still find entertaining to this day.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

Buffy was the more serious and "realistic" fantasy show so it had that going for it. Hercules/Xena was pretty silly in comparison. It helped Buffy didn't try to use bad mid-90's broadcast tv budget CGI either, at least not much.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Him turning into an rear end in a top hat is pretty accurate for the original mythic character though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Herc and Xena air daily on the "Heroes and Icons" network, so I watch it out of boredom often enough. It was always goofy and bad, and nothing has changed about that today.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shows that are extremely campy and fun tend to age very well indeed. Xena has a rap battle episode.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

purple death ray posted:

Shows that are extremely campy and fun tend to age very well indeed.

S P A C E G H O S T - C O A S T T O C O A S T

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
This is why the Adam West Batman has weathered the years far better than any of his more serious successors

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is why the Adam West Batman has weathered the years far better than any of his more serious successors

:chloe: or :thejoke:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think Firefly was an ok show on its own merits, but I definitely get hating it based on its creator.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I guess Adam West himself died recently but he'd aged extremely well too, was still working as Batman right up until he passed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The 60s Batman movie is loving timeless and I challenge you to prove otherwise.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The 60s Batman movie is loving timeless and I challenge you to prove otherwise.

My point was that other batmans such as TAS have aged at least as well as Adam West's series. That's all. I've got no bone against 60's Bat-movie

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The nolan bamhams are pretty much exactly what you want if you want the dark and brooding take on the character. Some of the comics have aged horrendously, but as far as the movies go, I think it's just the kilmer/clooney ones that are outright bad.

Not even Seal would pull them across the finish line.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I picked real winners of sci fi shows to watch in the 90's. One year I was into Earth 2, the next year was Space:Above and Beyond. It taught me to not bother with sci fi shows their first season and wait and see how well they do first.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alterian posted:

I picked real winners of sci fi shows to watch in the 90's. One year I was into Earth 2, the next year was Space:Above and Beyond. It taught me to not bother with sci fi shows their first season and wait and see how well they do first.

Earth 2 had Tim Curry as a villain, I remember it being a pretty good show

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Earth 2 had Tim Curry as a villain, I remember it being a pretty good show

I liked it. It had a lot going for it, it just also had stuff that didn't work.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Don't get me wrong, I loved it at the time and I still think its an interesting idea. It just sucks to get into a show and not have any sort of conclusion.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Alterian posted:

I remember Earth 2 ads airing during SeaQuest. Also the X-Files had a random mention of it by the Lone Gunmen.

Speaking of SeaQuest, that's a show I was super into at the time, but now definitely want to just leave comfortably in the recesses of my memory.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Hydronium posted:

Speaking of SeaQuest, that's a show I was super into at the time, but now definitely want to just leave comfortably in the recesses of my memory.

I think the first season of that show, where it had a stronger oceanographic bent, is still decent. Trying to turn it into Star Trek Under the Sea in season two was pretty bad. Do you remember the one where Mark Hamill plays a blind astronomer who is actually a space alien fugitive in disguise?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Speaking of 60's Batman, can anyone help me identify an episode?

I saw this when I was very young and it was dubbed in German, so there was a lot I didn't get.

A villain had gotten hold of some device that made some areas black and white. When Batman and Robin got caught in this area they were badly affected and had to get back to the color area ASAP. Some vigorous shoulder rubbing of each other helped to heal the effect of the stay in the black and white area. The color area got progressively smaller.

Anyone?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Per posted:

Speaking of 60's Batman, can anyone help me identify an episode?

I saw this when I was very young and it was dubbed in German, so there was a lot I didn't get.

A villain had gotten hold of some device that made some areas black and white. When Batman and Robin got caught in this area they were badly affected and had to get back to the color area ASAP. Some vigorous shoulder rubbing of each other helped to heal the effect of the stay in the black and white area. The color area got progressively smaller.

Anyone?

That was one of the Mr Freeze episodes. The black and white area was supposed to be his freezing cold environment that only he could survive in, which is why they rubbed each others shoulders for warmth. I don't know the exact episode titles for that one, sorry.

E: it's from Mr Freezes first appearance on the show, "Extreme Freeze". That specific death trap is from part 2, "Rats like Cheese". :)

purple death ray has a new favorite as of 22:00 on May 31, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Didn’t Sorbo go all right wing after a big ol’ stroke? He gets a little leeway from me since strokes really gently caress people up, and at least he didn’t go full Tila Tequila.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the first season of that show, where it had a stronger oceanographic bent, is still decent. Trying to turn it into Star Trek Under the Sea in season two was pretty bad. Do you remember the one where Mark Hamill plays a blind astronomer who is actually a space alien fugitive in disguise?

I remember the episode where they fought posideon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

purple death ray posted:

E: it's from Mr Freezes first appearance on the show, "Extreme Freeze". That specific death trap is from part 2, "Rats like Cheese". :)

Thank you so much. It's weird how some things just lodge in your brain at a young age.