Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd like habitats and stuff a lot better if building one wasn't a liability later on.

I think the newer Alphamod versions give you the option to upgrade your lovely starter habitats into better ones with more tiles as you unlock them, and all but the 25 tile super ones can be unlocked with technology.

But I kind of hope that sort of thing might be facilitated by the planet rework, you could also maybe have actual 100 tile ringworlds rather than 4 25 tile ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Baronjutter posted:

Every game the same boring chain of picks.
-The research one
-Voidborn
-Cybernetic
-Maybe Enigmatic Engineering if I think I might get into wars
-Master Builders
-Wonders
-Maybe the one that gives a big bonus to FE's if I'll need it
-Defender of the Galaxy to stand a chance against the crisis.

Can NPCs reverse engineer your stuff?

I usually go with the research bonus first, then decide what I'm going to do later on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes other empires can salvage debris for technology.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so i have no idea how to play this game, just kinda figuring it out as I go along. im friendly humans and have some snail and bear friends. i just kicked the poo poo out of my slaver neighbors, whats the best thing to do in this situation? just about to peace them out and destroy them since i have everything.

do I just toss it all into a sector and let the AI sort it out? i seirously have no idea what im doing and taking over this much space is huge.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Purge them.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

but im friendly :( all aliens are our friends.

also I have no idea how to do that. I actually have 4 planets full of their race now since i beat them in 2 wars.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Koorisch posted:

So which Ascension perks and ethos combinations do you guys usually pick?

I've picked the research one a lot but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just take something else.

There are some I always take, but I tend to re-order them depending on how the game turns out. If I make a lot of neighbors early, I'll take Enigmatic Engineering earlier. Since I tend to play really science-oriented, the Research One is always first pick, though.

Generally it goes:

-Research+10%
-More starbases or Enigmatic Engineering
-Whatever I didn't take as second pick
-Voidborn to get habitats or the flesh is weak if I got a lot of good planets
-Whatever I didn't take as third pick
-6-8th picks: Collecting megastructures, maybe the Collossus-pick (never got that far past version 2.0, to be honest)

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Someone asked in the thread the other day which civics they should take, so I've prepared a short guide for the non-special civics - the ones that can be swapped out. As before, I'd prefer that it represented the Goon Consensus, so please point out anything I should change before putting it in the OP.

Agrarian Idyll: +1 Unity for farms, Fanatic Pacifist only. An excellent choice for the masochists suffering through the tedium of defensive wars only, enabling you to bootstrap your ascension perks and quickly be able to build megastructures all over your boring corner of the galaxy. Pair with the +1 minerals for farms perk from Inward Perfection to really max out your farm spam. Recommended

Aristocratic Elite: +2 Guv'nor max level, +2 leader capacity for emperors and oligarchs. Governors give you +2% resource production for all pops per level, so this perk is equivalent to +4% production for a period of time determined by how quickly your chaps learn or die. Quite a good perk as a consequence for venerable or Ascending races. Leader capacity has diminishing returns, but is especially handy early in the game. Trait Dependent

Beacon of Liberty: +15% Unity for egalitarians. A nice buff for an area in which egalitarianism has no particular strengths (aside from fulfilling mandates), and handy for a spiritualist/egalitarian run as a consequence. If you're not going spiritual, this might be better as a third pick. Situational

Citizen Service: +1 Unity for forts & +15% naval capacity for democratic/oligarchic militarists. Makes forts equivalent to a standard monument, meaning you can build those in the early game rather than monuments and make your planets harder to crack. However, +15% naval capacity is really good, especially towards the mid game when this becomes a bigger constraint. Useful throughout the game as a consequence. Recommended

Corporate Dominion: +1 energy per Trading Enclave, starts with Space Trading tech and can build Private Colony Ships. Exclusive to Oligarchic non-xenophobes. An excellent pick, enabling you to use energy to shove out colony ships in the early game while keeping minerals for anything else you fancy. Of course, you'll need lots of energy to do that - and this pick gives you the tech and buff that'll give you that energy. Recommended

Corvee System: -50% resettlement costs for non-egalitarians. Slaves already have -50% resettlement costs built in, so this lets you ship your slaves around for free. Very handy for decadent xenophobes who'll need to bring back conquered peoples to their worlds to slave on their behalf, as well as reducing the cost of sending your core race out to administer your newly conquered territories. However, unless you're shuffling pops around constantly the actual cost benefits of this are quite small. Trait Dependent

Cutthroat Politics: -20% Edict Cost. Edicts are great, and this lets you have more of them. This cost reduction applies to both periodical and instant edicts, so if you're picking something like Master of Nature this will indirectly buff it. A must for any influence build. Recommended

Distinguished Admiralty: +2 Admiral level cap and +2 leader capacity for militarists. Each level gives +3% fire rate, so this is equivalent to +6% fire rate for some of the time, in line with other level cap buffs. This isn't a particularly compelling buff compared to the production Governors offer under Aristocratic Elites, especially as you can pick up fire rate buffs from tech and the Supremacy tree. Not Recommended

Efficient Bureaucracy: +2 core systems. The expansion tree gives you +2 core systems as a finisher, and you can pick up a further +2 from tech. Do you really need 9 core systems? Not recommended

Environmentalist: -15% Consumer Goods cost. Pops with Decent Living Standards cost you 0.75 minerals per month, so this saves you 0.1125 minerals per pop per month. This is 1.6875 minerals for a size 15 planet, as most homeworlds are. Consequently, this is an incredibly bad early game pick, but much better for larger empires. It looks slightly better for Egalitarians who want to run Utopian Abundance from the get-go, as the saving rises to 0.16875 minerals per month, but the savings are still inferior to the +10% minerals from Mining Guilds. Situational

Exalted Priesthood: +20% Governing Ethics Attraction for Oligarchic Spiritualists. Ethics attraction is something of a black box, but for an egalitarian spiritualist build that wants to max out influence by limiting the number of factions, this could be helpful. Situational

Feudal Society: -50% Subject power penalty, and vassals can build new starbases (i.e. expand) while being subject to an Imperial overlord. Allows you to safely hold more vassals without having to integrate them, and lets them fill in space on your behalf, ultimately saving you influence. The Vassalise CB is incredibly powerful owing to the amount of influence it saves you, and this makes it more powerful. Recommended

Free Haven: +50% Alien Migration Attraction for xenophiles. Migration is a bit of a black box and not totally reliable, but this could be a good pick for an Adaptable Slow Breeding race that wants to fill its planets with the pops of other races. Trait Dependent

Functional Architecture: -15% Building Cost. This saves you 9 minerals from every basic building you build, and only gets better from there. It saves you 52.5 minerals when you need to upgrade your planetary capital, a key early game development blocker, and only has more value as you go up the tech tree. Recommended

Idealistic Foundation: +5% Happiness. Happiness provides up to +20% of additional production on a sliding scale between 60 happiness and 100, and a corresponding debuff when it's heading in the other direction. This means +5% happiness translates to 2.5% additional production, assuming a given pop's happiness isn't in the 40-60 bracket, which they likely will be at the start of game when factions haven't formed. Later in the game there are lots of options for buffing happiness, so this civic is never actually useful unless you're on the brink of massive revolt. Not recommended

Imperial Cult: +25% Edict Duration for spiritual emperors. As spiritualists get a buff to edict costs, this is a nice pick to take to minmax this particular advantage through an edict-heavy game, and one that stacks with the relevant Ascension Perk. Possibly a better third pick than an opening one, however, as you'll probably want to spend influence on expansion rather than edicts in the early game. Situational

Meritocracy: +1 Leader Skill Level and +1 leader capacity for democrats and oligarchs. While you might think that having +1 level for all leader types is better than all alternatives, the benefits of an additional Governor level largely outweigh most others - and Aristocratic Elite comes with +2 leader capacity, meaning oligarchs should always pick that first. Not a bad pick for democratic societies though, but not one that's top rank. Situational

Mining Guilds: +10% to mineral production. All mineral production, including space mines. An excellent pick to take at any stage of the game, potentially only losing usefulness towards the endgame when you have more minerals than you can eat. Although if you're maxed out on minerals you should probably be at war with someone. Recommended

Nationalistic Zeal: -10% claim costs and -10% war exhaustion for militarists. A bit of an odd perk - the claim costs reduction is good for offensive wars, whereas the war exhaustion reduction mostly helps militarists on the defensive, as they already have a war exhaustion bonus over non-militarists anyway. Reducing war exhaustion on the offensive is better done through other means. Not Recommended

Parliamentary System: +25% influence from factions for democrats. As Egalitarianism already offers bonuses to faction influence, this can stack with those bonuses to provide positively monstrous influence gains in the early to mid game, enabling expansion while running edicts. Pair this with Cutthroat Politics and you'll have permanent buffs across the board. Recommended

Philosopher King: +2 ruler level cap for emperors and dictators. At last! A pick for dictators! And what a terrible pick it is! Rulers give buffs to edict duration and unity production per level of 5% and 3% respectively, as well as reducing unrest by 5. Compared to additional production from governors (which also applies to Unity, and comes with leader capacity too) the benefits of buffing your ruler are low. While it does stack with Imperial Cult - which of course dictators can't get, the poor lambs - it's really only worth running this if something converts your ruler into an immensely powerful psyker who gives you bonus influence to really get those edicts running. Not Recommended

Policy State: -25% Unrest and -25% Piracy Risk for everyone who's not fanatically egalitarian. Unrest is a bit on/off - once the 'Recently Conquered' debuff wears off your proud new citizens, they're generally easy to manage unless you've screwed up the faction game entirely, as long as you build a couple of forts on newly occupied worlds. As a result, this is only worth taking if you hate pirates so much that you can't spare a couple of clicks every 50 years or so. Not Recommended

Shadow Council: -75% Election Cost for non-emperors. The buffs rulers can offer are very strong, and being able to pick the right one is very helpful. Unfortunately it's also not worth it - democrats change every 10 years at a cost of 12.5 influence with this perk for a chance to only influence the outcome, and oligarchs change every 20 years at a cost of 50 influence. However, while the case is marginal for oligarchs, it's very strong for dictators, who rule for life. This perk enables you to consistently choose your ruler and their corresponding buff, and is one of the few reasons to pick a dictatorship over any other government type. Situational

Slaver Guilds: +10% food and mineral production by slaves for authoritarians. An incredibly powerful civic, especially in the early game, that stacks with authoritarians' inbuilt buff to slave output. Picking both this and Mining Guilds for Fanatic Authoritarians is absurdly good. Recommended

Technocracy: +1 Research alternatives for materialists. Useful in the very early game when directing your research is of the highest priority, and has some use towards the midgame to maximise your chances of getting rare techs. However, you can get +1 alternatives from both a tech and a Tradition, and once you have both of these the value of this declines significantly. Situational

Warrior Culture: +20% Army Damage and -20% Army Maintenance for militarists. The changes to ground combat in 2.0 have made buffing your armies very powerful. Combat widths have made losses during invasions inevitable, and these directly feed back to war exhaustion in a major way. Increases in damage mean your armies will win combats with fewer losses. Accordingly, this is an excellent pick to reduce war exhaustion during offensive wars, which as a militarist you should be having all the time. Recommended

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 31, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Supposedly the Ransomeers event can have a non-negative outcome but I've never seen it.

Also I can't really answer the perk question because I haven't really ever played not-heavily-modded Stellaris. Alphamod, Tons of Traditions, Cultural Overhaul and NSC being the biggest changes, and Origin Civics more recently. Stellaris feels too empty for me without those.

And also yeah, despite all the complaints about bad sector AI I find that if you dump all the excess space into a sector and let them sort themselves out they get along well enough that it doesn't really matter what they do. You just might have to feed them a bit to get them going initially.

Oh by the way, an important thing to reiterate on - because it never really occurred to me until recently - is that you can swap in and out civics freely (every 20 years or so anyway) and so you're not at all bound by what you pick at the start if something else becomes more useful later.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 31, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Supposedly the Ransomeers event can have a non-negative outcome but I've never seen it.

I have. But I can't tell whether it's 'Do as you're told, always succeed' or whether it's a random roll even if you kill the station first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm fairly sure it's random because I usually kill the fleet first and it still succeeds.

It's mostly just not worth it so I usually just tell them to gently caress off.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Koorisch posted:

So which Ascension perks and ethos combinations do you guys usually pick?

I've picked the research one a lot but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just take something else.

egalitarian/xenophile/militarist, spreading freedom at the point of a sword :hist101:

the research one looks very attractive but it's nothing you can't get plenty of elsewhere. i go for:

1. masters of nature (mostly because i have a mod that gives it three tiers of planet size upgrades for escalating costs, instead of the vanilla single tier)
2. voidborne, or my first ascension path perk
3. the other one of those two
4. the final path perk, if available

after that it's just up to the situation, as none of the others are too terribly distinctive. definitely get master builders at some point to go along with voidborne though

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok so now that I kiiiinda understand the game a bit, what are good traits and whatnot for a race thats like, weak and doesnt breed a lot and relies on shittons of robots? that sounds like something fun. cute little dudes that unleash robot armies and poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jazerus posted:

egalitarian/xenophile/militarist, spreading freedom at the point of a sword :hist101:

the research one looks very attractive but it's nothing you can't get plenty of elsewhere. i go for:

1. masters of nature (mostly because i have a mod that gives it three tiers of planet size upgrades for escalating costs, instead of the vanilla single tier)after that it's just up to the situation, as none of the others are too terribly distinctive. definitely get master builders at some point to go along with voidborne though

If I'm using that mod I also take this as first pick because it makes it the best perk in the game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 31, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm fairly sure it's random because I usually kill the fleet first and it still succeeds.

It's mostly just not worth it so I usually just tell them to gently caress off.

It could just be a concidence but I've noticed that if you have a fleet about as powerful as theirs (but still strong enough to win) you'll get a better chance of success.

If you show up with a 10k strength fleet and blast everything away with a single salvo then you usually end up killing everyone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

queeb posted:

ok so now that I kiiiinda understand the game a bit, what are good traits and whatnot for a race thats like, weak and doesnt breed a lot and relies on shittons of robots? that sounds like something fun. cute little dudes that unleash robot armies and poo poo.

Natural Engineers, Intelligent, Weak, Traditional, Slow Breeders, start with Mechanist and be Fanatic Materialist.

Unity and research are the two things that robots are worst at while minerals and fighting they're always good at. You could also swap traditional for thrifty if you want because you'll use a lot of energy on robot upkeep and they aren't super good at that either for a while.

Downside is you will be stuck between having good defence armies by staffing your forts/capitals with robots, and having them output more unity/money. But you could always swap them out if you end up in a war. What species is working a fort/capital tile determines what defence armies it produces.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 31, 2018

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

OwlFancier posted:

Natural Engineers, Intelligent, Weak, Traditional, Slow Breeders, start with Mechanist and be Fanatic Materialist.

I'd start with Thrifty always when doing a robo run. You can engineer it out when you hit mid game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

I'd start with Thrifty always when doing a robo run. You can engineer it out when you hit mid game.

Yes this is also a valid pick because energy is an issue for them too. I just like unity in general and you can get a lot of energy in 2.0 from trade starbases, and if you're building robots you can put those everywhere because you can colonise everywhere.

If you're not planning on synthetically ascending you also don't necessarily need much unity. You might want to consider going at least to cyborg though as I think it affords you some extra benefits for robots.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

queeb posted:

Mechanist as that will allow you to start out with robots and Mining Guilds so you can generate more minerals and produce more robots.

In terms of ethics then Fanatic Materialists for robot upkeep reduction and faster robot research times and then a minor ethics pick of your choice

Traits I would go with Intelligent and Conservationist as combined with Academic Privilege it will give you a good boost to research speed.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Aethernet posted:

Someone asked in the thread the other day which civics they should take, so I've prepared a short guide for the non-special civics - the ones that can be swapped out. As before, I'd prefer that it represented the Goon Consensus, so please point out anything I should change before putting it in the OP.

Beacon of Liberty: DLC check for apocalypse. If you don't have it take BOL early, and remember to swap it out when you're done with unity, if you have apocalypse the unity ambitions are strong enough to take whenever.

Corvee: Absolute trash, spending a civic slot on a static amount of energy is terrible. So many better things to take.

Environmentalist: Notes are on point, I'd mention that it makes a strong 3rd civic as by that point in the game you have enough pops for it to make an impact.

Exalted Priesthood: Only useful in maybe one case, but temples give you +20% spiritualist weight already and if you're going psionics you get a bunch of bonus weight from psionics and each ascension path perk. I'd drop it to not recommended.

Functionial Architecture: More situational in my mind, because most of the costs early on are not from planet buildings, and once you're looking at the more expensive ones you usually have economy sorted out. If you're colonizing a lot this is better, but if you're focusing more on space+stations+fleet early it doesn't provide much oompf.

Imperial Cult: Actually amazing if your ethos lets you take it. You're getting half of one of the better ascension perks straight up. Early game you should be considering using map the stars to improve the quality of your starting systems (slows down your land grab by 1 system), and you'll be in a spot to be using other edicts well before you unlock your 3rd slot.

Nationistic Zeal/Warrior Culture: I'd swap the recommendations on this myself. -claims cost is hugely beneficial, and a blanket -exhaustion is on-par with stronger army action in most stages of the game. Maybe late game another 20% on your armies will add up enough, but early/mid game your war exhaustion modifier is strong enough to make more army losses not meaningful.

Philosopher King: Useful with immortal/long life leaders with +leader cap setups, you can crank that bonus up to disgusting levels. Situational, but as a 3rd pick can provide a benefit, especially with unity ambitions or as a slaver empire.

Technocracy: Weak pick unless you're doing an off-build, like spiritualists wanting to do synth ascension. Or maybe later on if you're really digging for a rare tech and you have terrible luck, swap to it for a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're going strict minmax rather than roleplay I would also suggest that you pick nonadaptive instead of weak/slow breeder because that's one less trait pick (which means you can mod something else in once you research genemodding) and honestly if you're using robots, you don't need your primary species to be able to colonize very much.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

queeb posted:

materialist is a gimme, there's a civic they can take to make you start with robots and the tech to build robots

Authoritarian lets you optimize your robots for use as slaves, Egalitarian saves you some money, militarist is never BAD, xenophile if you're big into making friends, xenophobe if you're big into not

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're going to use robots I also recommend this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1323750659

Which adds a lot of new, extreme traits for species and robots, otherwise robomodding feels very shallow for my money. But then, this also wildly expands the range of options for what kind of species you might pick to rely on robots :v:

It also adds a chance to roll special leaders depending on what traits you pick, which is another nice element.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god there's so much to this game its crazy.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Robots tip: have your starting world type be dry, as these worlds have better chances for energy tiles. This should give you 2 planets that have a nice energy base, supplying power to your robots on other world types.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Anecdotal, but I find if I destroy the Ransomeer fleet before the base I always save the prisoners.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Which is annoying since fleets prioritize stations over fleets for some reason, so it's a bit of a crap shoot. It's usually why bringing and equilivently powerful fleet to do the fighting gives you a better chance since you don't immediately destroy the base.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Jazerus posted:

1. masters of nature (mostly because i have a mod that gives it three tiers of planet size upgrades for escalating costs, instead of the vanilla single tier)
2. voidborne, or my first ascension path perk
3. the other one of those two
4. the final path perk, if available

after that it's just up to the situation, as none of the others are too terribly distinctive. definitely get master builders at some point to go along with voidborne though

:buddy:

I do the same thing, except with Fanatic Egalitarian insted of xenophile (even pre-ftl despotisms won't be spared my wrath and I don't want the xenophiles throwing a fit over it).

My first perk pick is usually Technological Ascension, or Transcendent Learners if I'm going for a leader build. After that I take Mastery of Nature, my preferred ascension paths the 3 megastructure perks, and World Shaper usually being my last pick and usually more for fun than anything else.

Also I love these guides that people are posting, I'm working on one for traits myself and will hopefully have it up soon.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

jesus, started my robot dudes game, spamming robots on my home planet trying to figure out how they work, get an event chain looking for some old gods or something, my dudes get pissed since it turns out the planet is just a barren one, so they look again. fuckin bam, size 25 gaia world, right by my home world. holy moly.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

queeb posted:

jesus, started my robot dudes game, spamming robots on my home planet trying to figure out how they work, get an event chain looking for some old gods or something, my dudes get pissed since it turns out the planet is just a barren one, so they look again. fuckin bam, size 25 gaia world, right by my home world. holy moly.

I got this event chain on my current life-seeded run. Was a pretty sweet draw.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I like the followup where someone comes by and is like "Hey, mind if we murder those peeps still living on it?"

Sure buddy, go for it

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

ZypherIM posted:

Robots tip: have your starting world type be dry, as these worlds have better chances for energy tiles. This should give you 2 planets that have a nice energy base, supplying power to your robots on other world types.

Is this actually true? I haven’t really found it to be the case. My latest runs have been dry and they’ve been crazy loaded with minerals and physics research.

queeb posted:

I got this too, it was inhabited by a weird fungus species. Then some other species came and killed all the fungus people, leaving it ripe for colonization. A lot of the unique flavor text for colonizing it was really ominous but nothing ever happened.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

I like the followup where someone comes by and is like "Hey, mind if we murder those peeps still living on it?"

Sure buddy, go for it

Was handy, as it saved me from doing it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Which is annoying since fleets prioritize stations over fleets for some reason, so it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Seriously, this behavior is extremely stupid and I sincerely wish Paradox would flip it. Like if my fleets should for some reason find themselves in an evenly matched fight, I want them to kill the relatively fragile ships who will have offensive capabilities should they survive, and not waste time damaging some stupid station that will repair itself in a few months.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat i told them no to burning the planet cause i thought they'd kill it, they said theyd be back. oh dear.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Just ran into a cool new event chain (sadly bugged):

We discovered a derelict colony ship, which started a chain of events ending with discovering a size 25 gaia world with the lost descendants of the colonists living as a primitive species on it. But there was a twist: Their log was talking about "vessels" hunting them mercilessly. Turns out the "vessels" are the actual colonist species, while the colonists are a weird symbiosis of fungus and the original species.

So suddenly an angry fleet of non-fungus people show up to burn out the last survivors of the infected. Since I don't want to just toast the gaia world, I chose "no, gently caress you" as the option. The hunters then insulted us, attacked the planet anyway, and then just disappeared. Leaving the intact gaia world and their peaceful symbiotic people alone. Uhhhhhh I think that outcome may be a bug. There was even a graphical display of bombardment showing up on the planet. The very next day, the entire alien fleet jumped out without actually doing any damage.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Nightgull posted:

Is this actually true? I haven’t really found it to be the case. My latest runs have been dry and they’ve been crazy loaded with minerals and physics research.

Yes, you can look at the file under /common/deposits/00_deposits.txt

When you break it down, this is roughly how it works out:

Dry planets get a +50% weight mod on energy deposits, +25% weight mod on mixed mineral / energy deposits and +50% weight mod on +1 and +2 physics deposit.
Cold planets get a +50% weight mod on minerals and +50% weight mod on +1 and +2 engineering deposits
Wet planets get a +50% weight mod on food, +25% weight mod on mixed mineral / food deposits and +50% weight mod on +1 and +2 society deposits.

It is enough to be significant, but not huge to the point where it is pouring out your ears.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
Are there downsides to having massive amounts of territory? i usually turn down the amount of AI empires, and turn up the amount of advanced AI starts, but i havent gottent to endgame with the most recent updates.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just the usual penalties to research and unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

ZypherIM posted:

Yes, you can look at the file under /common/deposits/00_deposits.txt

When you break it down, this is roughly how it works out:

Dry planets get a +50% weight mod on energy deposits, +25% weight mod on mixed mineral / energy deposits and +50% weight mod on +1 and +2 physics deposit.
Cold planets get a +50% weight mod on minerals and +50% weight mod on +1 and +2 engineering deposits
Wet planets get a +50% weight mod on food, +25% weight mod on mixed mineral / food deposits and +50% weight mod on +1 and +2 society deposits.

It is enough to be significant, but not huge to the point where it is pouring out your ears.

Why would anyone pick wet planets then? Society is always my highest research number and food is pretty much solved by station buildings.