Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Fiedler posted:

i'd work for facebook but they probably expect you to actually use facebook, so...

can confirm: my friend works there and they require you to have an account because all of their internal tools are built on it.

Whenever I get invited to their office I bring a tote bag and stuff as many snacks into it as possible.
Last time my haul included a case of Red Bull and a carton of gum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

also you shouldn’t work for Facebook

unless they pay you a lot of money in which case you should work there

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jimmy Carter posted:

can confirm: my friend works there and they require you to have an account because all of their internal tools are built on it.

Whenever I get invited to their office I bring a tote bag and stuff as many snacks into it as possible.
Last time my haul included a case of Red Bull and a carton of gum.

What kind of gum?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I’ve heard Facebook uses a lot of php

I’ve also heard php is the devil

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

so I dunno how or why but I made it through to the on-site from the company I thought I bombed the screens for. 6 hours of interviewing, and 3 more of the pair programming sessions. gonna have to spend the entire weekend practicing algorithms and data structures I guess.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

EVGA Longoria posted:

so I dunno how or why but I made it through to the on-site from the company I thought I bombed the screens for. 6 hours of interviewing, and 3 more of the pair programming sessions. gonna have to spend the entire weekend practicing algorithms and data structures I guess.

IMO a lot of times I thought I nailed an interview I actually got rejected, probably because the interviewers just started taking it easy when they realise I wasn't a good fit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qhat posted:

IMO a lot of times I thought I nailed an interview I actually got rejected, probably because the interviewers just started taking it easy when they realise I wasn't a good fit.
yeah when your interview suddenly switches into easy mode, that means you blew it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Boiled Water posted:

I’ve heard Facebook uses a lot of php

I’ve also heard php is the devil
PHP also happens to be the sound a bowel movement makes, draw ur conclusion

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

qhat posted:

I have no idea why I would’ve passed this. had two 1 hour pairing interviews online, which were “solve this toy problem”

first one I thought I did pretty well on, solved it and did so fairly efficiently. feedback was they wanted another one because I seemed to struggle a bit.

second one I just bombed completely. after my first attempt was wrong, the interviewer even explained the solution to me, and i still spent most of the time staring at code with no idea. it finally clicked in the last few minutes and I got a mostly working solution together, kind of.

unless the second interviewer was just a lot kinder than the first in her feedback, idk what happened.

on site is 3 more of those problems, and then another 3 hours of talking and white boarding an architecture problem.

but drat, I want this job.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

on site is 3 more of those problems, and then another 3 hours of talking and white boarding an architecture problem.

why?

EVGA Longoria posted:

but drat, I want this job.

why?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blinkz0rz posted:

if your test suite takes 8 hours to run your app is either way too big and should be broken into commensurate parts that can be deployed independently and each have their own test suite or else your tests are poo poo and probably aren't actually testing valuable things

or both, like ours

solution: bring even more crap into it from a different monolith

:shepface:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
sent resume for a senior position that's out of my league, to an actual engineering company that does actual manufacturing of actual high-tech things - metal cutting tools, mining and construction equipment, special steels, that kind of thing - and expected it to be a very long shot

they actually responded though and want to talk to me. I don't even have a degree in computer touching, much less engineering. impostering the hell out of myself rn

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheFluff posted:

sent resume for a senior position that's out of my league, to an actual engineering company that does actual manufacturing of actual high-tech things - metal cutting tools, mining and construction equipment, special steels, that kind of thing - and expected it to be a very long shot

they actually responded though and want to talk to me. I don't even have a degree in computer touching, much less engineering. impostering the hell out of myself rn

they probably have no idea what they want anyway so go for it lol

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

i have some friends there who love it, more friends who are also going through the process. the pay and benefits are top-tier. there's good work life balance. it's actually working with people who are better developers than me, so i might learn something. it's a big name that'll look good on my resume. i don't find the work they're doing morally reprehensible.

the interview process has been annoying, especially given that i'm applying to be a web developer, but it's almost done.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
In my experience you learn more about a person when they fail to solve a problem in an interview then when they succeed. Interviewers know people are nervous as hell at these things and sometimes choke on things they'd normally have no problem with.

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 1, 2018

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
New role update. I'm getting paid a lot more and have done almost nothing for the past three weeks compared to my previous role where I was in meetings 7 and a half out of 8 hours. Met with a bunch of departmental people and my boss last week and they couldn't agree as to what I was needed to work on. My new boss reminded them she hired me based off what they told her they needed.

It's fun watching this mess now that I'm not under its direct reporting structure.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

TerminalRaptor posted:

In my experience you learn more about a person when they fail to solve a problem in an interview then when they succeed. Interviewers know people are nervous as hell at these things and sometimes choke on things they'd normally have no problem with.

I read this kind of thing a lot and it does not square with my personal experience of a 100% correlation between solving the whiteboard problem and getting an offer

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

raminasi posted:

I read this kind of thing a lot and it does not square with my personal experience of a 100% correlation between solving the whiteboard problem and getting an offer

It might also be a sign of a company thats somewhat desperate for people. I know we pay under market rate at our company, and I've been in interviews where we're desperately hoping they'll get our (relatively easy) whiteboard problems just so we can make the offer.

So I guess you should ask yourself why a company would be interested in you if you really think you bombed an interview, what else did they see in you? Are they just looking to fill seats?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TerminalRaptor posted:

that's not unreasonable. i think it ultimately comes down to different engineers (they just use random devs not managers) have different standards, is likely my guess?

looking back and reflecting, it's possible i didn't do as badly as i felt at the time. i did ultimately get a (mostly) working solution once i understood, just ran out of time. the problem is apparently a bit notorious that you're not going to come up with the good solution on your own, so having it explained to me probably wasn't a big knock against me? it was take an A1Z26 encoded string and return the number of possible decodings it has

ADINSX posted:

It might also be a sign of a company thats somewhat desperate for people. I know we pay under market rate at our company, and I've been in interviews where we're desperately hoping they'll get our (relatively easy) whiteboard problems just so we can make the offer.

So I guess you should ask yourself why a company would be interested in you if you really think you bombed an interview, what else did they see in you? Are they just looking to fill seats?

i don't think they're particularly desperate for people.

i do know my resume is pretty good, i can handle the discussions really well, and web development doesn't have a ton to do with the ability to solve these problems. my code itself comes out good.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ADINSX posted:

I was unclear

in my experience, solving the puzzle means I get an offer, and not solving the puzzle means I do not get an offer. “oh it’s ok if you don’t get the right answer, we just want to see how you think” is, to me personally, a crock of poo poo.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

raminasi posted:

I was unclear

in my experience, solving the puzzle means I get an offer, and not solving the puzzle means I do not get an offer. “oh it’s ok if you don’t get the right answer, we just want to see how you think” is, to me personally, a crock of poo poo.

thats fair. I guess it all comes down to how much help the interviewer is willing to give. Personally if I see they're on the right track, or they get the brute force solution (when a better one exists), and they communicate their thinking clearly and ask clarifying questions (which our problems are designed to need), thats what I want to see. If I need to give a few hints then thats fine too (but not great)

I'd be happier with someone talking and thinking out loud and getting the easier answer than someone who quietly gets the more difficult solution and either can't explain how they got there, or is a jerk about it, etc. The whiteboard problem is just a proxy for issues that we'd encounter in our real job... how are they gonna figure it out? Are they gonna go off into a corner for a month, or are they going to engage the team, PM, etc?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

TerminalRaptor posted:

GOOD interviewers know this. in the real world, tricky interview style edge case questions are things you could just spend a couple hours on instead of 15 minutes, and would not be a problem.

many people think working that kind of problem out in 15 minutes during an interview is a good indication of whether you can do the job. in a real job being able to deliver on a predictable schedule (to name just one example) is more important than solving every technical gotcha question extremely quickly, but they can’t turn that into a tricky interview.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

:yotj: of course from the company that had me do the supervised personality test (and no, the figgies are not yospos approved)
hopefuly the place i had a final-stage interview with today gets back to me super quick since the figgies are similar but the location is much more midwestern (cheap)

also fukken government workers taking so long to get back to me :bahgawd:

edit: imposter syndrome hitting me hard as company 2 gave me an offer with more figgies and a title a couple grades higher than i applied at so double :yotj:

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 2, 2018

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Still not heard back about the interview I did. Gonna give it untill Tuesday (a full week) then send an email.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

Actual engineering company doing actual engineering things means that they don't know how to do boring line of business crud computer stuff, almost without exception

Gamma
Dec 31, 2008
yo quality thread, lots of good advice. I'm looking for a little advice of my own:

I'm looking for a new job. I've got six years of software experience in a low CoL city but I'm looking to go full on mercenary with my next role and make as much money as possible. I'm willing to move almost anywhere or work remotely.

resume at a glance:
  • 3 years at a start up - the product is a natural language driven business intelligence/data analytics platform. Tech I directly worked with was a lot of python/javascript with some java sprinkled in. Using the latest and greatest hipster js, I built significant portions of the front end, including all of the product's visualizations and its third party API. I also built a lot of the python data analysis code and the product's data science platform. By virtue of building these tools, I got some experience doing machine learning and data science tasks.
  • 3 years at an accounting software company. I did stints as both an implementation consultant and a software engineer. The tech was generally terrible but I got a lot of experience with SQL and some with C#/.Net
  • Bachelor's degrees in mathematics and physics from a top 20 university. My background is really useful for the more intense TensorFlow type stuff

how can I leverage that skill set/experience for the highest payday? I'll definitely be giving the big 5 tech companies a shot, but what cool/high-paying opportunities are my skills a good fit that I might not be considering?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

6 hour interview is behind me. it felt fine during the day, but holy crap am I drained now that I'm home.

please don't make candidates do a 6 hour interview

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

EVGA Longoria posted:

6 hour interview is behind me. it felt fine during the day, but holy crap am I drained now that I'm home.

please don't make candidates do a 6 hour interview
Make them do a full 10 hour interview to simulate the hell that is your daily life.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Emailed the company in the afternoon yesterday to ask if there's an update on my interview last Tuesday, it's 6.30pm today now and no response.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
Went in for an on-site interview for a mid-size company (has an office locally, but HQ in California and a few other offices in Western US and Canada) a few months ago. Said they liked me, was given "all yes and soft-yes" responses by the interviewers, but they just had a division meeting and decided they were refocusing to find a manager instead. The recruiter said to reach out again Q3-ish. This was all after being initially contacted by their recruiter.

Saw they posted a job that was more or less what I applied for a few months back and reached out to my original recruiter letting him know I'm still interested. Submitted an application mentioning this in my cover letter as well figuring that they probably have some arbitrary hiring workflow.

Recruiter was away on vacation for a week when I originally contacted him and said he'd be back Monday. How long should I wait before I send a follow-up on this? Or was that "contact us again around Q3" just them letting me down easy?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i never used recruiters before. is it verboten to apply directly when using one?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Is it 3rd party? If so, no. If it's internal you'll have a better shot with them anyway

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PokeJoe posted:

Is it 3rd party? If so, no. If it's internal you'll have a better shot with them anyway

keep in mind that the recruiter will probably get salty as hell if you do this. the company will at worst be a little confused but won’t end up caring.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I’ve found the external recruiters are legitimately useful at handling a lot of the bullshit. I don’t have to chase them or the company for a response, they handle that. also pretty good on the salary side because they don’t waste the time if the role can’t pay what I want for salary

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Had an interview week before last. All of last week I kept hearing letter imminent; CEO must return to sign.

Welp he's back from Austria and I'm having a 30 minute meet n greet today, then offer. Wtf

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EVGA Longoria posted:

also pretty good on the salary side because they don’t waste the time if the role can’t pay what I want for salary

recruiters will happily waste your time on salary

this is not the recruiters' fault: companies are just not very honest with themselves or their collaborators about what the actual salary is

if a company says they'll pay a max of N, often the real pay is N+30% after they've met a specific candidate

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I just went from imposter syndrome to c level is excited about me

Wtf

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Space Whale posted:

Wtf

typical imposter syndrome progression is now to not trust the c-level's judgment, watch out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Space Whale posted:

Wtf
step 1: fake it til you make it
step 2: make it

youve arrived at step 2. congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
The thing is, this is aviation. Not avionics, but more planning and writing the "oh poo poo" contingency plan for a given flight plan.

Fate is fickle but I'm not complaining.