Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I personally witnessed Tremek word for word 100% nail rapping along with a significant portion of a Limp Bizkit song that never once got radio airtime.

Thanos did nothing wrong.

Discuss.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thanos was wrong.

So we start off perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Bread is stored in the fridge.

Hot dogs are not a sandwich unless the bun rips in two.

The Buran would have been better.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The gently caress?

If you have too much and it risks going stale, sure. But your only loaf?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We keep ours in the freezer as it gets close to the BB date because we rarely finish it before it starts to turn.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

The gently caress?

If you grew up in the PNW where bread molds instantly, you'd do the same.

Future bread is stored in the freezer. Current bread in the fridge.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Thanos was wrong.

So we start off perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Hot dogs are not a sandwich unless the bun rips in two.

Bread is stored in the breadbox so it doesn't go stale.

There's no space in "hotdog" but they're not a sandwich unless the bun hinge fails.

The Buran was cool.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Magnus Praeda posted:

There's no space in "hotdog" but they're not a sandwich unless the bun hinge fails.

You're just not thinking big enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfA_L_zfqiU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Snape killed Dumblethor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dumbledore killed Hermione.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cars suck welp thanks 4 reading later dorks

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Next you're going to say something just as silly like "also potatoes go in the fridge" and let me tell you, I'm going to let you know just how much I disagree with both statements, buster.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Bread in the fridge really? I thought that actually made it go stale? Anyways I keep it in the cabinet for the kids and it has been perfectly fine for MY WHOLE LIFE.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

cars suck welp thanks 4 reading later dorks

Sorry for your unfortunate Saturn.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Sorry for your unfortunate Saturn.

incredibly the same

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

everdave posted:

corn in the fridge really?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm a little sad -- the last thread title made me laugh every time. (I'm sort of dim, don't judge.)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

This is bullshit. Born and raised in Seattle and we never kept bread in the fridge. Freezer, sure, but that was mostly long term storage for when we were in Alaska for the summer. Bread is super expensive up there.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

All sliced bread in the freezer. Then all bread is consumed as either toasted from frozen, or under the broiler/grill for sandwiches because that defrosts one side and makes a nice toasted other side so your sandwich isn't soggy anyway. If you think there's no mould that can occur in the fridge you are crazy, and the dry fridge just makes it stale without keeping it any longer for palatable non toasted or grilled bread anyway.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

"Wikipedia posted:

Staling is not, as is commonly believed, simply a drying-out process due to evaporation. Bread will stale even in a moist environment, and stales most rapidly at temperatures just above freezing. Bread stored in the refrigerator will have increased staling rates, and therefore bread should be kept at room temperature. However, refrigeration delays the growth of mold and extends the shelf life of bread

One important mechanism is the migration of moisture from the starch granules into the interstitial spaces, degelatinizing the starch. The starch amylose and amylopectin molecules realign themselves causing recrystalisation. This results in stale bread's leathery, hard texture

Don't chill your bread, folks. Unless you want stale bread for grilled cheeses, panninis, or french toast

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm a little sad -- the last thread title made me laugh every time. (I'm sort of dim, don't judge.)

Nothing endures but change.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

The Door Frame posted:

Don't chill your bread, folks. Unless you want stale bread for grilled cheeses, panninis, or french toast

Mmmm.... I think I'll make some for Sunday brunch.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In Seattle did you have air conditioning? We didn't. We had a swamp cooler.

Everything molded. The drying capacity of a fridge was a godsend. And the bread is in a bag, so it's not the bread being dried out, it's just preventing excess external moisture.

Storing bread in the fridge does make it go stale faster, but not from drying. It causes this glycoconversion stuff with the starches that happens faster at low, but not freezing temperatures. However, while I can easily get 2 or 3 weeks from fridge bread, that's better than less than one week from counter or breadbox bread.

E: Starch Retrogradtion
http://www.chatelaine.com/food/kitchen-tips/store-bread-in-the-fridge/

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sure that's great and all but what's the book of the month?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I want to read catch 22 again because life is poo poo hilarious.
also funny, bmw parts breaking and their replacement costs (not bad, but you should see the shipping!) No idea why goons hate on them though because shipping is free in the usa.
E: can we have the hate car title back :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 31, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

Moral Combat by Michael Burleigh.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Adiabatic posted:

I'm curled up with a copy of The Revolution Betrayed by Leon Trotsky, eagerly awaiting the coming class wars

Fo3 posted:

E: can we have the hate car title back :v:

E: JUNE CHAT: Aunt May is still waiting for Peter to hate car

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

"INCHI DICKARI" in the last thread posted:

social stigmata

Is that where you only get the wounds of Christ at parties or in front of a crowd?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

The Door Frame posted:

I'm curled up with a copy of The Revolution Betrayed by Leon Trotsky, eagerly awaiting the coming class wars
What's the point of reading history? You know the end already!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Fo3 posted:

What's the point of reading history? You know the end already!

No spoilers! I haven't read that far yet

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

In Seattle did you have air conditioning? We didn't. We had a swamp cooler.

No one in Seattle has air conditioning or a swamp cooler. Well now some of the newer condo buildings/houses might have it, but the vast majority of this city runs out to buy fans and what ever portable AC units they can in the store when we get our now yearly stretch of 90+ degree weather.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

Ignition! is solid rocket scientist nerd cred and it's finally been reprinted, now's a good a time as any to pick up a copy if you haven't yet

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cage posted:

The gently caress?

Spare one goes in the freezer, duh. And buy wheat bread - it lasts longer before turning green.

This man knows what's up.
(Though with the aforementioned wheat bread, we don't usually need to use the fridge strategy.)

Probably, but then again: Russia.

Enourmo posted:

You're just not thinking big enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfA_L_zfqiU

...isn't that just uncut baloney?

The Door Frame posted:

Bread pudding is another good use for stale bread.

Enourmo posted:

Ignition! is solid rocket scientist nerd cred and it's finally been reprinted, now's a good a time as any to pick up a copy if you haven't yet

It's available as a PDF if you look (wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)
Still haven't gotten around to reading it, though. :(

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Is that where you only get the wounds of Christ at parties or in front of a crowd?

STEEEEEEEEGMAAAAAAATAAAAAA
IN YOUR EYE

I'm a freeze until toastin kinda guy

Book of the month is Bosch Jetronic Fuel Injection: How to Understand, Service and Modify

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slurry_curry posted:

No one in Seattle has air conditioning or a swamp cooler. Well now some of the newer condo buildings/houses might have it, but the vast majority of this city runs out to buy fans and what ever portable AC units they can in the store when we get our now yearly stretch of 90+ degree weather.

and thats cause seattle is the PNW and idaho aint

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

But he described exactly the same scenario I grew up with (except we had a swamp cooler because it was a tad drier for 2 months a year, though most houses didn't have one).

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Agreed. East of the mountains is a completely different place.

But he described exactly the same scenario I grew up with (except we had a swamp cooler because it was a tad drier for 2 months a year, though most houses didn't have one).

I guess Idaho is less of a desert than eastern washington, but still much warmer in the summer than Seattle/western washington. Hell, when I was a kid it seemed like we were lucky if we got a couple days of 70+ degree weather, and now we have ~month long stretches of 90+ degrees in the summer. Granted I did spend most of my summers in SE Alaska when I was growing up, so I just had year round grey and rain.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
please change June chat title to BREAD CHAT / ARGUMENT

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

everdave posted:

please change June chat title to BREAD CHAT / ARGUMENT

Yes. And maybe I'll get an answer as to why American bread is more like cake than what the rest of the world understands as bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yes. And maybe I'll get an answer as to why American bread is more like cake than what the rest of the world understands as bread.

Also growing up my mom always kept bread in the fridge. As a grown-rear end adult IT IS SO MUCH BETTER KEPT ON THE COUNTER.

• Locked thread