Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
a burger i ate while in melbourne at royal stacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Jose posted:

a burger i ate while in melbourne at royal stacks

Noice

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Looks decent. But reminds me of shake shack burgers. Which suck. And are over priced. At least they are in London.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Shake Shack's mushroom burger is pretty good. And the double that's one beef, one mushroom. It is all satisfactory to a level beyond the usual chains, imo.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 22, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bogart posted:

Shake Shack's mushroom burger is pretty good. And the double that's one beef, one mushroom. It is all satisfactory to a level beyond the usual chains, imo.

I was just about to say, shake shack's best burger isn't even a burger. It's a lava cheese mushroom sandwich.
Overhyped.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m watching Diners Drive-Ins & Dives and just learned about a place in Texas called Maple & Motor. Anyone ever been there? I might have to make up an excuse to make a trip.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Just had a classic fish and chip shop works burger from Munchca in Avalon, Sydney. Plus Chips and pineapple fritter. Burger had egg, bacon, beetroot, lettuce, grilled onion, cheese tomato, pineapple.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

Just had a classic fish and chip shop works burger from Munchca in Avalon, Sydney. Plus Chips and pineapple fritter. Burger had egg, bacon, beetroot, lettuce, grilled onion, cheese tomato, pineapple.

Perfect. Love a good fish and chips shop burger with chicken salt in the chips.

You did get chicken salt, right?

Right?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Love me a burger with the lot from aussie takeaway joints. There was a caravan take away open all night in Canberra that mixed in a bit of cheap woolies snag meat with their beef burger patties. They also did a hotdog with vegemite, and the gravy was thick as molasses for the chips. After grog bog was loving horrific but worth it.

I miss fried dimmies so loving bad.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

iajanus posted:

Perfect. Love a good fish and chips shop burger with chicken salt in the chips.

You did get chicken salt, right?

Right?

Definitely had chicken salt, this isn't amateur hour.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Ranter posted:

Love me a burger with the lot from aussie takeaway joints. There was a caravan take away open all night in Canberra that mixed in a bit of cheap woolies snag meat with their beef burger patties. They also did a hotdog with vegemite, and the gravy was thick as molasses for the chips. After grog bog was loving horrific but worth it.

I miss fried dimmies so loving bad.

A butcher friend of mine mixes in beef sausage mince with regular mince when making burgers and it's great for thin patties. You can get s really mad crust

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pineapple fritter sounds fuckin' transcendent.

F
Nov 6, 2005

The can of kirks rounds it out nicely.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Would, chicken salt or not.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

That's the way, old mate

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp this sucks! I was planning to custom grind my own burgers for Memorial Day, but it turns out the piece of poo poo meat grinder I bought is a piece of poo poo. I took it out of the box, looked up the manual online, fully assembled it according to the instructions, then I turned it on and it doesn’t work. Flipped both the forward/reverse master switch and the on/off/reverse switch every which way. Nothing happened. I tried calling customer service but it turns out those fuckers are closed for Memorial Day. :argh:

So now I have to go to the grocery store, buy more meat from them, and have them custom grind it there.

Still planning on good burgs but drat this is annoying.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Welp this sucks! I was planning to custom grind my own burgers for Memorial Day, but it turns out the piece of poo poo meat grinder I bought is a piece of poo poo. I took it out of the box, looked up the manual online, fully assembled it according to the instructions, then I turned it on and it doesn’t work. Flipped both the forward/reverse master switch and the on/off/reverse switch every which way. Nothing happened. I tried calling customer service but it turns out those fuckers are closed for Memorial Day. :argh:

So now I have to go to the grocery store, buy more meat from them, and have them custom grind it there.

Still planning on good burgs but drat this is annoying.

I got a hand crank meat grinder for like twenty bucks on Amazon, it's easy to use and also works great for sausages.

Maybe don't over think it

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Bubble Bass's Patty Melt Order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8hi6A5MPVY

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

you can also grind in a food processor somewhat decently, and you can always just finely dice the meat for a rough grind

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

you can also grind in a food processor somewhat decently, and you can always just finely dice the meat for a rough grind

I mentioned that but he shot me down because he doesn't have one and would rather spend money on something he can only use for meat instead of a super handy kitchen appliance.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
"I can just chop with my knife!" :downs:

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I honestly just dice up the meat finely 95% of the time than dig out the grinder because I usually am only making 1-2 patties. I also like a nice coarse grind.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bogart posted:

"I can just chop with my knife!" :downs:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My annual burger from Turtle Shack in Flagler Beach, FL. Also the best onion rings I've ever had. It was bomb.

12 ounce patty.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thread opinions on the meat grinder attachment to a KitchenAid stand mixer? Versus a standalone grinder?

I already have the mixer. Realistically might use it a couple times a month for 2-3 people worth of food.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thread opinions on the meat grinder attachment to a KitchenAid stand mixer? Versus a standalone grinder?

I already have the mixer. Realistically might use it a couple times a month for 2-3 people worth of food.

I haven't tried a standalone grinder, but the last time I used the KitchenAid attachment, I got a lot of smear even after using a brand new blade and freezing all the components prior. If I ever get back into grinding my own, I'll go standalone.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

I haven't used the KitchenAid attachment but I love my stand alone grinder. Doing enough meat for two even with a hand crank only takes a few minutes and it's surprisingly easy to break down/clean up/put away

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sounds like hand crank might be the way to go. Any specific recommendations?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Sounds like hand crank might be the way to go. Any specific recommendations?

Mine was a gift, although I was assured it was "the cheapest one on Amazon". I think it's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Grinder-Tabletop-Clamp-Sausage-Cutting/dp/B0000DE4LW/

It's been fine for me through at least fifty pounds of beef and pork (and stuffing most of that into delicious sausages), but the reviews are pretty lovely so maybe it's worth it to cough up the extra couple bucks for a nicer one?

F
Nov 6, 2005

A good looking burg with that egg on top. Was it runny?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'll be the dissenting opinion.

I find it works great (if you keep you expectations in check). You ain't going to make 50 lbs of deer sausage out of the thing.

Cube meat. Freeze the meat cubes for a 1/2 hr or so, along with the auger. Lube the o-rings with some vegetable oil and be patient with it as you feed the meat in. Let it work. Clean up is basically toss a piece of bread in after everything and it will basically clean itself out.

Granted, I normally do this with a 3-4lb chuck roast type stuff for hamburger, but it works for me. The smearing comes from the meat getting a little to warm. So you have to have a pace and commit once you begin.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the smokehouse chef branded one is better than the KA branded

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Decided to put the Weston #10 on my father's day wishlist, we'll see if I get it. Thanks for all the suggestions, for now I'm going to hold off on big money KA attachments I've decided. Hope to post again soon with hand cranked patty pics.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
The new Basics with Babish is about making burgers and fries. They look good I guess but not as good as one would expect after grounding his own beef imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCgfiqq-5c

He also makes fries and does the two fry method at different temps, which seems to be the legit way to do it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you're going :effort: on fries, the par boil w/ vinegar step seems the most extremely key part to me, over the double fry. If you par boil then even a single fry comes out fantastic, and the double fry + freeze in between is just the best thing ever ever.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

A new burger Cafe opened up near us and since I have a lot of free time now I tried out their wares

Very tasty, and they didn't skimp on the onion rings...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Do you like, squish it down hard, or do you remove 3/4s of the onion rings?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

just put your fries in cold oil, turn on heat, then pull when they're done.

double frying etc is too much work unless you always have oil already hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

just put your fries in cold oil, turn on heat, then pull when they're done.

You are gross.