Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pokemon. Gen 3 needed some help.

With Ruby and Sapphire being released in late 2002/early 2003, only 200 of the then 384 Pokemon could be obtained in some way, as well as zero compatibility with previous Pokemon games. This was somewhat rectified with FireRed and LeafGreen in 2004, but some Pokemon, especially those from Johto, were still missing.

Enter Pokemon Colosseum for the Gamecube, released in late 2003/early 2004 and developed by Genius Sonority, most known for these games, but also for the Trozei series, as well as the Denpa Men series. Slated as a successor to the Pokemon Stadium series, it evolved into its own game with a story mode and, most crucially, a host of Pokemon that would be unavailable until 2005 with Pokemon Emerald and even then, not as easily as these games. The allure of playing a fully fledged game in 3D and featuring Pokemon from all 3 generations is just too good to ignore.

On top of that, the story takes a different direction to the main series, with Orre as a tonally different region to others and featuring very few Pokemon to obtain as Shadow Pokemon, evil Pokemon that must be Snagged from trainers. It's also, with very few exceptions, completely filled with Double Battles and has a higher difficulty curve to go with that.

Following the lull between Emerald in 2005 and Diamond and Pearl in 2007, another Gamecube game was released in 2006: Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. Edgy name aside, it follows on from Colosseum's plot 5 years after, where Shadow Pokemon are again on the rise, including an inpurifiable Lugia. Not only were both these games able to trade with the main series and be battle simulators in themselves, I think the story is something every Pokemon fan should play at one point. Up until recently, though, I hadn't.

See, I only had Nintendo handhelds when I was younger, so I completely missed all these wonderful games, but no more, they should be shown off in all their wonderful glory! Sure, they're not perfect games and sure, they're a bit awkward to SSLP (you'll see soon enough), but I reckon there's a fair chunk of you who've never played this game. So with that said:

:siren: NO SPOILERS AT ALL! :siren:

This is definitely meant to be a sequel to my Emerald LP and help fill in some gaps. But you don't have to read it, it's only Pokemon after all.

These games are a treat, so let me welcome you to the desert region of Orre, we've got some Shadows to Snag.

Colosseum

Part 1: Welcome to the World of the Wanderer
Part 2: From Oasis to Hive
Part 3: Catch-a-thon 2003
Part 4: Caving in Pyrite Building
Part 5: SALSA!
Part 6: Finally Some Gosh Darn Purification
Part 7: Duking With Dakim
Part 8: Down Under
Part 9: Sub Under
Part 10: Shadows of a Finished Plan
Part 11: Started from the Bottom
Part 12: Middling Intermission
Part 13: A Towering Finale
Part 14: Snag 'Em Holdouts
Part 15: Up and Down Battling
Part 16: Last Leftovers
Part 17: The Ridiculous Rabbit Hole of the e-Reader (Part 3: Of Course There's More) (By Admiral H. Curtiss)

Side Courses

01: Everything To Do With Shadow Pokemon (Colosseum) (From Part 7)

Mini Dishes

01: Mt. Battle Prizes (From Part 7)

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

XD: Gale of Darkness

Part 1: Welcome to the World of Tonal Shifts
Part 2: Portside
Part 3: Arigato Agate
Part 4: Early Game Late Game
Part 5: Finally Some Gosh Darn Purify Chamber
Part 6: Pyrite Its Wrongs
Part 7: Having A Wild Time
Part 8: Distracted From Distractions
Part 9: The Fight for Phenac
Part 10: Ship Shape Scooter
Part 11: Snagless
Part 12: Return of Snagem
Part 13: Key Developments
Part 14: Before the Citadark
Part 15: Volcanic Clamber
Part 16: A Very Greevil Finale
Part 17: Orre You Serious?
Part 18: First and Only Round
Part 19: Fetching the Final
Part 20: Orre Done

Side Courses

02: Tutorial Battle Sims (From Part 1)
03: Everything To Do With Shadow Pokemon (XD) (From Part 5)
04: Battle CD Selection 1 (From Part 8)
05: Battle Bingo 1 (From Part 9)
06: Battle CD Selection 2 (From Part 11)
07: Battle Bingo 2 (From Part 12)
08: Battle CD Selection 3 (From Part 13)
09: Battle CD Selection 4 (From Part 15)

Mini Dishes

02: Dr Kaminko's Inventions (From Part 1)
03: Battle CD 35 (From Part 11)

THE SHADOW SELECTION SWEEPSTAKES

FINAL Resets: 19

Colosseum: Qwilfish, Sudowoodo, Entei x2, Gligar, Vibrava, Skarmory, Absol, Metagross and Tyranitar (10)

XD: Mareep, Makuhita, Pineco, Lugia x6 (19)

Final Entries!

5 - SystemLogoff
7 - FoolyCharged
8 - Epicmissingno
9 - ItBreathes
10 - BrightWing
11 - Blue Link
12 - rannum
13 - Zack Ater
14 - Regalingualius
15 - Booky
16 - MightyPretenders
17 - loving love Fiona Apple
18 - Thadius

19 - Explopyro
20 - BlazeEmblem & mateo360
21 - Dr. Fetus
22 - flarp22
23 - TheFattestPat
24 - Zanzibar Ham
25 - SSneoman & Blackunknown & Like Clockwork
26 - The Ayshkerbundy
27 - Kilza
28 - Kikas & Xanrib
29 - Leraika & Mraagvpeine
30 - Toyotasomi no Miko
31 - FriskyBoat
32 - Blaze Dragon
33 - BlackPersona
34 - Level Seven & mycelia
35 - Hobgoblin2099 & Jiru
36 - Saladin Rising
37 - Shiny777
38 - Prythian
40 - Aeromancia
41 - Like Clockwork
42 - AweStriker
43 - Odysseus S. Grant
44 - Logicblade
45 - Drufle
48 - Sordas Volantyr & Ibblebibble
50 - hopeandjoy
55 - Nondevor
60 - Funky Valentine
64 - OgretailFood & Carlosologist
65 - Kerning Chameleon
66 - Hunt11
69 - Kemix
70 - SilverFire
92 - Lynneth

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 22, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 1: Welcome to the World of the Wanderer

Is it time for another LP already? That's right, it's my LP of Pokemon Shuffle!

Colosseum Opening

Ah just kidding it's actually a good game.

We've got a fair few options to cover later on, but for now, let's jump right in and meet the Professor!

Oh, we're just given our protagonist. This is Wes, but canonical names are boring, so I want you guys to look at him and remember I've called him THOMAS.

Since I've forgoed videos because I'm getting lazier with each LP, you should absolutely watch the opening cutscene. Why?

It's pretty explosive.

Outskirt Stand

Well that's one way to start a Pokemon game, I suppose. Before we check out where we ended up, uh, who are we and why do we have two cats?

Our starter Pokemon in this game are Espeon and Umbreon, since this game is full to the brim of double battles! You can probably guess which one is gonna be more helpful.

You can find what I think of all 386 Pokemon throughout my Crystal and Emerald LPs, so while I'll still go over every Pokemon you can find in this game, the amount doesn't even reach 100, so I'll be talking about how useful Pokemon are in how you might use them in game.

So, Umbreon, if you compare it to Espeon, it's just not much of a contest is it? Double Battles is a pretty different beast to singles, walls are a lot less effective due to taking two hits per turn and being fast and strong helps immensely so you can get an attack off and prevent one opponent from attacking. So while Umbreon can have his tanking uses, he's probably not a great idea. Getting Bite as a starting move is a mercy, otherwise he would have Pursuit until Faint Attack in the midgame, which wouldn't be great.

Breeding and tutor moves aren't in this game, so you have even less options, especially with TMs being pretty limited. You could give him some cool moves, but man you have a fast attacker RIGHT THERE. Get used to seeing this, there are some Pokemon that can't be used in this game and this borders on being one of them. It'll work out fine, but you will feel sad while doing it. Also his other moves kinda blow, though Taunt is useful at the start, but you'd rather just attack. Timid is +Spd -Atk, but Umbreon is a wall, so...

There's like 4 ribbons in this game (I think?), so this page won't be seeing a lot of use.

Espeon is a much better choice, having a super nice moveset for doubles and just hitting really hard. However, while it is my favourite Pokemon ever and I'm ecstatic to use it, it can be a rough journey, due it not doing a whole lot aside from nuking stuff with Psychic. Like Ranmaru, Espeon will be one note, but what it does is very good. However, don't be surprised if he faints a lot due to this game's harshness and not being able to take many hits. You'll be healing Espeon a lot, since he'll be your main attacker for a good chunk of the game until you can rely on your other mons to pick up the slack.

Reflect is pretty useful to make him not fall over immediately, but it might be preferable to just attack and not get hit! The AI in this game is a little interesting as we'll see later. Also, Modest nature, that's +SpAtk -Atk, which makes Return less potent, but who cares about that? Well it's kinda bad, since we didn't get Bite like Umbreon, so Psychic STAB is your only source of special attacks in this game. He'll have a lot of spare moveslots!

Our P*DA is our Trainer Card, though it'll have other uses later on. You can probably guess what the Snag List is about.

Our email is a weirdly underutilized feature in this game, but when they eventually start coming in thick and thin, you can choose your alert tone. This is the only choice.

We even start out with some items! We can't put this sack into our inventory. Yet.

Heheheh, yeah. And we bagged ourselves a great big catch, too. Boss'll be sure to fix us up with big rewards, too. Heheheh, it doesn't get any better than this!

Ooh, food? I haven't eaten in four LPs!

News Alert

TEAM SNAGEM is a gang of POKEMON abductors who have already been marked for arrest. The HIDEOUT was discovered only as a result of the explosion. By the time police arrived, the ruined building had already been abandoned. The cause of the explosion is under investigation. It should become apparent eventually.

What kind of dashing rogue would do something so terrible? Oh yeah, since the models for these games haven't been ripped for the most part, sometimes I won't have the right portrait to use, but there's a fair variety to choose from, so it shouldn't be too confusing, especially for important characters.

Outskirt Stand

I hear they use something called a SNAG BALL to catch POKEMON from their rightful trainer in battle. I'm guessing that you're a trainer. You'd better be careful.

Might as well hang with the locals, keep up with the tings, or whatever the kids say.

Seems we've done our civic duty for today, guess I should blow up hideouts more often!

I bet your POKEMON are impressive, too. If the opportunity ever arises, I'd like to have a battle with you. Heh... though I doubt I'd have any chance of beating you...

Any way I look at it, it's obvious that you're no ordinary Joe. So what do you say? Let's you and me have a quick battle! Yeahah! That's the spirit! All right, all right. Over here, this way!

Did you know? This region is based on America, specifically Arizona? I'd have never guessed.

Willie Battle

Woah, 3D environments! 3D Trainers!

3D Pokemon! 3D battles! Only two Pokemon though, triple battles aren't a thing yet.

Already we have some tricky business, since text boxes and attack animations are seperate! So I'll probably have to screenshot what attack it is so I remember what the move is when I only put the animation in the update. Should be easy enough. This is what Espeon will be doing for most of the LP: using a Psychic move and probably knocking something out, it's great.

And this is what Umbreon will be doing: much less damage and not knocking out Pokemon.

This isn't a battle we'll have trouble with, so we'll let Umbreon deal the final blow. Secret Power has the same kind of effects in this game as it did previous, but it has the same Needle Arm animation regardless.

Hey, I know. Why not test your skills in PHENAC CITY? It's out west of here. You'll find trainers who are way better than me there. You should go out there and get some battling in.

Orre Map

When you have a badass bike, there's no need for routes, we just got from one location to another.

Phenac City

Based on Phoenix, the capital of Arizona, as well as the mineral phenakite.

Yeah, you say that, but this... it won't stop squirming. Makes it tough to hold on.

Okay, okay. Settle down in there. Just be quiet for a little while longer.

Tch! The tape didn't keep her yap shut! Hey! Quit your shouting!

Oh, drat! Did that punk there hear all that?!

I love the way they just dump the sack.

Trainer Battle

There we go, that's the battle theme we all know and love. Man fighting trainers is such a treat in this game.

Again, this is what Espeon will be doing most of the time.

Hey that's lucky! This is why you choose Bite over Faint Attack if you ever get that far with Umbreon.

We'll finish off the battle with Return, a move you use only use when you don't want to knock a Pokemon out, or to be flashy, and get a level already! Our starters already have a bit of exp and Umbreon is now two levels ahead of Espeon. Just to show how meh Umbreon still is.

Phenac City

Huh? Wait a sec... that face... might you be... TEAM SNAGEM's...

Wha... you dingbat! Don't shoot off your mouth! Don't get all happy just on account of winning this once. The next time we meet, I'll trash you, your POKEMON, and all!

Gah! This is tied good and tight... can you believe those people? What a horrible thing to do! Can you give this rope a tug from the other side?

Please! We need your help!

Hopefully this is a talking Pokemon, those are pretty rare!

...where is this? Where did those two bring me?

This is PHENAC CITY, the opulent city of water. This person saved you from those thugs.

The way he battled those goons, it was truly superb. I wish you could've seen it.

Oh! Is that so? Thank you! And... uh... you are? Oh! So you're named THOMAS! I am...

Meet Rui, either she's the rival, or we're gonna have a companion. Guess which one it is. I'm also not gonna call her Yuki, we just had one of those. So Anca it is, that's a perfectly normal name.

Oh! Those guys, did they use a peculiar POKEMON?

A peculiar POKEMON? No, they looked ordinary to me. What do you mean by peculiar POKEMON?

Oh... no... no, that's fine, then.

Well, it's easy to see something's on your mind. You should go see our MAYOR for his advice. He's a very kindly person. I'm sure that he'll be able to help you somehow. The MAYOR's house is near the fountain square past here. Go up the stairs from the square and it's on your left.

The MAYOR? Yes, that's true! The MAYOR might know something!

Sorry, but I'm a lone desert wanderer. I only have room in my heart for my cats.

You have wholly and utterly convinced me.

If you're with me, THOMAS, it won't matter if those guys come back again! Thank you! Thanks for joining me for a while!

Oh okay, the game went there pretty quickly. Great.

Pokemon Center

Let's start exploring the city by going, where else, but the Pokemon Center!

I need to go over the PC as well, since this is where you SAVE. If you remember, there wasn't an option in the main menu, so it makes this game a lot trickier, since you have to find a PC in the overworld if you want to take a break. I don't need to worry about that as much since I have savestates, but drat it can get annoying.

This is where you can trade with the Gen 3 games, but you can't do it until the postgame, otherwise it would make the game a lot easier.

Now for the Mart. Our item selection is similar to what we'd get after the 2nd badge, so that's nice.

We'll sell the items we start with that we don't need, ESPECIALLY Awakenings. But I feel like something's missing...

But, as you know, there are no wild POKEMON around these parts. So there's no demand for POKEBALLS. Meaning nobody sells them. That's common knowledge, too.

Now for the east side of town.

There's a few standard optional battles around, but there's a lot less than in the main games, especially if you're going for 100%. I'll be showing off every battle in the game at least once, since without wild Pokemon to grind, you can rematch most trainers in the game for infinite exp.

Trainer Battle

I'll be trying to show off a bit more of the battling this time around, as I didn't really for most of Emerald, but I obviously won't be showing off every single attack.

Since these games are basically Double Battles: The Movie, there's a lot more happening every turn and there's some pretty neat stuff the AI will throw at us, so I think it'll be an interesting time. Also what kind of trainer class is Fun Old Man???

Phenac City

Ah, yes. You're young, but you've got a bit of spine! Why, you're just like me when I was young! Well done, indeed!

Those thugs must have come back and taken off with it. I bet they came from PYRITE TOWN. I'm sure of it!

No? Is that right. That's got be vexing. I know! If it's about POKEMON, there's the PRE GYM! It's actually called PRESTIGE PRECEPT CENTER, but everyone just calls it PRE GYM... PRE GYM is a place where skilled trainers work on their own abilities as well as their own POKEMON. You'll find many trainers there who are knowledgeable about POKEMON. I'm sure they can help you. The PRE GYM is on the raised middle part of the town. You should visit there.

We'll go check out the Gym in just a moment. First, there's something behind this house.

You're a trainer, too, aren't you? Let's duke it out! Let's battle! All right! Here we come, and there's no holding back!

Surprisingly, this battle isn't difficult. Umbreon still couldn't knock out the Wurmple in one shot.

I didn't think I'd lose. Big guy, you're tough... I want you to have this since you're so good.

Some TMs aren't even in these games, but unfortunately Torment is still here. Sure, it can be useful, but it's just not my style.

Pre Gym

This is a place for trainers and POKEMON to not only sharpen their strength and skills, but also their body and spirit.

Oh? You must be a trainer, too. Are you listening in on my class? Since you're here, I have something here that you might like. May I see your P*DA please?

Oh! That's a POKEMON DIGITAL ASSISTANT! Or P*DA for short! THOMAS, you have one, too, don't you?

Here you go. I've upgraded it and added the STRATEGY MEMO function. You'll be able to check the types and abilities of the POKEMON you've met at a glance. Come see me whenever you like. I'll update your P*DA with detailed data on the POKEMON you've met. I hope you make good use of the STRATEGY MEMO as you aim to be a great trainer!

Our one and only upgrade for our P*DA is basically a Pokedex, but in alphabetical order. There's no kind of regional Pokedex, so I won't be evolving every Pokemon I see, just catching.

It's got your basic info, the cry, height comparison and a model viewer. It's cool, but you can only update it by talking to the teacher, which I'll try to do when we need to come back to Phenac City... if I remember.

Well, what do you think? Since you're already here, do you feel like having a battle? Okay. Then let me introduce you to the trainers of PRE GYM. When you're ready to go, go to the BATTLE AREA in the center, and stand at the left-hand side.

In all, you'll be facing four trainers. They're all a handful, I can vouch for that. And now, this is where your opponent enters!

We've done plenty of talking this update, so let's battle!

Trainer Battle

The trainer names in these games are... interesting to say the least. There's some real good ones.

Oh wow, Espeon didn't OHKO a Pokemon for the first time in the LP. Mental.

But this game starts off pretty easy. It's never ridiculously hard, but it will get tougher, don't you worry.

So, what's your plan? Do you keep chugging on with your battle challenge? Okay, gotcha! Let's get the next battle started!

Oh yeah, there's a real mix of Pokemon in Orre, but we'll mostly see Johto and Hoenn Pokemon, making me think this southern region is on the other side of Johto, as Kanto Pokemon are pretty uncommon.

Boosting with Agility and Defense Curl won't help you much.

Two trainers already. Are we about to be fired up?

Doesn't look like it.

Wait, Ground types, Dug, I get it!

The way you battle is... uh... interesting. You might say it's unique, or maybe it's just chaotic. Well, I wish you the best of luck!

Ahah, an Ice type trainer, I'm getting it now!

Oh... never mind then.

My battling style must have been too sophisticated for you.

I know what comes next after fighting four trainers in a row.

You don't have a fully party of POKEMON yet. When you get six of them, I'd like you to come see me again. That's when I will be your opponent. I'll be looking forward to it!

We'll actually have six Pokemon pretty soon, trust me, but we'll be battling Justy later. He's a little bit strong.

There's nothing down here. Hmm, weren't we supposed to be going somewhere?

Oh yeah poo poo the Mayor's house. I am too easily distracted.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 10, 2018

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yo your New LP thread post doesn't actually have a link to this LP.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Welcome to the land of double battles and Best Music.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

lol good job me. Here I thought things had gone a bit too smoothly.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Is nicknaming pokemon a thing in this game?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ah the Gamecube games! The entire reason I wanted a Gamecube as a wee lass.

...my brother had a PS2, so I never did. :(

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Relatable. I like this guy already.

I'm surprised you're going with default names considering your usual naming scheme. I expected LEO and MIREI, the Japanese names, but I guess this is fine too. What isn't fine is that screenshot size, please make them bigger.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Blaze Dragon posted:

What isn't fine is that screenshot size, please make them bigger.

Specifically, I'd recommend something like 1.5x the current size; that ought to be fine.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This game is great, and a lot of people are less familiar with it so I'm looking forward to seeing their reactions.

I think you're doing pretty well showing the battles so far; the animations are kind of long so it's probably hard to pick a good place to screenshot (and a lot of them look kind of silly, like Bite with the giant phantom jaws). It may not come across as much in the LP, but battles in this game can take a while even if they're easy just because of the animations (which I seem to remember you can't skip or turn off in any way). It's still fun and the music's great so that never bothers me, but it might some players...

When I played this I actually found Umbreon quite useful, honestly. It's not going to do damage, but when you consider the way you have to catch pokemon in this game (I'll be vague since you haven't shown it yet) having a durable staller with Confuse Ray can be pretty helpful. That said, nothing you've said about it is wrong either, it really gets overshadowed by Espeon.

(Also worth noting is that both Espeon and Umbreon are locked to male here, so you couldn't breed more eevee on the GBA until FR/LG.)

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

Leraika posted:

Is nicknaming pokemon a thing in this game?

Not for the first few hours. There is a Name Rater and through him is the only way you can nickname the starters. You're also not given the option to nickname Pokemon you catch until roughly the same point.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Sorry the images are a bit small, but they're half the size I record at and I didn't like the look of the 3/4 size images. Besides, I use a lot of images in my updates, especially in 1-4 image grids, so having them too big would make it look awkward, especially when put onto the Archive, which is where this LP will spend most of its life (hopefully they outlive me).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I love these games! It's a shame they never made a 3rd game, or even release the existing games in HD.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I usually read LP updates on mobile, and the pictures are a pretty good size for me.

I've never played these games so I'm really looking forward to this!

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
I love these games, warts and all and I am eagerly awaiting this LP. Good luck Crosspiece!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Tons of dirt, no wild Pokemon, yeah sounds like Arizona to me. Umbreon is my favorite Eeveelution, man.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Oops I can't stop thinking about how anyone in this region even has Pokemon

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"I wish they'd gotten blown up with their hideout."

Well, that's kind of dark.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rannum posted:

Ground types would love it. There's no shortage of desert-dwelling pokemon even in the few generations I've played - sandshrew, cacnea, trapinch, etc.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"I wish they'd gotten blown up with their hideout."

Well, that's kind of dark.

Yeah, Orre is not a nice place.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

rannum posted:

They're all imported.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everyone in Orre is prickly because they live in a barren wasteland and all have really stupid names.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Crosspeice posted:

Sorry the images are a bit small, but they're half the size I record at and I didn't like the look of the 3/4 size images. Besides, I use a lot of images in my updates, especially in 1-4 image grids, so having them too big would make it look awkward, especially when put onto the Archive, which is where this LP will spend most of its life (hopefully they outlive me).

Problem is, half-size is unreadable unless I drop down to a lower resolution or use zoom (which then affects the other LPs where it's not an issue). Native size really isn't an issue.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Fun Old Man is my trainer class, for future reference.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wes Thomas is the best protag

I'm playing through Colosseum right now myself, so I'm interested to see how you go through it

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Sweet, my two favorite Pokemon games are getting LP'd, awesome.

Funky Valentine posted:

Welcome to the land of double battles and Best Music.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I love these games! It's a shame they never made a 3rd game, or even release the existing games in HD.
There is so much stuff in these games that I love and would love to see ported over to the main series of games, and we've already seen two of them. First, Wes Thomas's bike is the greatest thing ever, and that opening cutscene made me fall in love with the game from the word go.

Second, I love that all the battles are double battles. It completely changes up how you play the game and makes it way more strategic, and it gave me a new appreciation for moves like Helping Hand and Protect.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wes Thomas is the best protag

You know you're in for a ride when your game about befriending magic creatures opens with terrorist bombing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crosspeice posted:

They're genuinely hard to see at this size, at least for visually-impaired people like me. Forcing my sight to follow the LP is not exactly the nicest of experiences, and they'll look even more awkward if you archive them in a size that's genuinely far too small for a Gamecube game. You aren't playing a handheld game here, it's meant to be seen on a bigger screen.

Aerdan posted:

Problem is, half-size is unreadable unless I drop down to a lower resolution or use zoom (which then affects the other LPs where it's not an issue). Native size really isn't an issue.

I agree.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know you're in for a ride when your game about befriending magic creatures opens with terrorist bombing.

I had to double check to make sure I wasn't in the Reborn thread.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crosspeice posted:

I can't loving read a lot of them. If you're not going to increase the size, please transcribe all the text in them.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yeah, now that I'm on desktop, the pictures are way too small. Sorry buddy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, these are way too small considering how much goes on in each screenshot.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Yay Pokemon Colosseum! I love this game even though it's surprisingly difficult for a 9 year old and I never beat it.

And while you're right that Umbreon isn't as good as Espeon, I could never find it in myself to split them up.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Colosseum is interesting. You can just force your way through like any other Pokemon game, but if you change up your tactics a bit for the double battles you'll do much better.

Umbreon is a great example. Normally a tank isn't very practical for a playthrough, but they are invaluable in this game. Umbreon can use taunt, confuse ray and toxic to shut down some of the more annoying bosses in this game. You also have to remember that your heavy hitters like Espeon are going to be taking a lot of damage. Umbreon's stall tactics help soak up a lot of it. He's also very useful for catching. He dishes out small bits of damage and can sit there taking plenty of abuse.

The developers were smart giving you Espeon and Umbreon as starters. They really exemplify how important balancing the offense and defense of your team is. It's not as clear during the beginning since most of your opponents are pretty easy, but once you get to the first "dungeon" it becomes more apparent.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Saladin Rising posted:

Second, I love that all the battles are double battles. It completely changes up how you play the game and makes it way more strategic, and it gave me a new appreciation for moves like Helping Hand and Protect.

It'd work like 1000% better if they gave you a shitton of moves to use. I suppose part of it is that this is a 3rd generation game. Feint, Trick Room, Lava Plume, Discharge, Tailwind, and U-Turn were in 4th generation and added incredible amounts of depth to team construction. 5th added Wide Guard and Quick Guard which really changed up the game by having moves that protected the user and ally.

Also the only thing with Follow Me is kind of trash.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

On the bright side, Surf doesn’t hit your other Pokémon yet so it’s not as risky to use in doubles as it is starting in Gen 4.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

On the bright side, Surf doesn’t hit your other Pokémon yet so it’s not as risky to use in doubles as it is starting in Gen 4.

Yeah, but if we're talking the campaign mode, nothing can learn surf until post-game trade shenanigans.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dallbun posted:

Yeah, but if we're talking the campaign mode, nothing can learn surf until post-game trade shenanigans.

nnno? I'm playing Story Mode right now and pretty much every water type I have knows Surf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Pyrite Town is a good name for the new Team Snagem hangout.

• Locked thread