Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

There are some more bits you can look at with planet modifier and tile blockers that pushes wet climates ahead a bit in those. Early game food is at it's strongest, and starting with wet will let you expand the fastest usually. Plus if you get a big enough food modifier your growth time can get pretty crazy. I like to have my devouring swarm build use a wet start, later on when I'm at 150+ excess food I can't build buildings faster than I grow pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cold planets for life.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Nightgull posted:

Why would anyone pick wet planets then? Society is always my highest research number and food is pretty much solved by station buildings.

I just like how the island planet background looks. :shrug:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Game just handed me the Galactic Nomads settling on a planet and thereby freed me of my life-seeded restriction

Thanks, game. Thanks.

(Still need to deal with my very hostile dickbag of a neighbor though)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What are you all doing with all these Starbases? Outposts are free, so it's only you upgrading them that makes them cost a Starbase point.

Unless you are using them to Anchorage spam, but at that point just grab the +80, get more vassals, or start a Fed to have a Fed fleet.

Even on my most open map with multiple paths of egress I still only ever had like 14/16 Starbases.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

If you put it around a colony you can get 40+ energy after its all filled up. If you fill it with anchorages you can get similar with fleet capacity. If you're not constrained by time/minerals, you get a lot more fleet cap taking extra starbases over the straight cap increase (but that is immediate and you don't have to spend resources to get it). Depending on your map, you can sometimes tie anchorage starbases with special buildings (black holes for +10 physics, or enclaves for their bonuses, or nebulas for +5 minerals). Lastly having a few defense starbases at chokes can buy you a lot of time to have a fleet respond to an attack, and if you can fight around one the bonuses available give a big edge in a fleet battle.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rookersh posted:

What are you all doing with all these Starbases? Outposts are free, so it's only you upgrading them that makes them cost a Starbase point.

Unless you are using them to Anchorage spam, but at that point just grab the +80, get more vassals, or start a Fed to have a Fed fleet.

Even on my most open map with multiple paths of egress I still only ever had like 14/16 Starbases.

Building them around colonies to generate shitloads of energy, using them to spam anchorages (because there are better things to spent Ascension perks on), and building massive shipyards in Gateway systems. Occasionally a defensive one somewhere, but only if it's a really good chokepoint. Like 2-3 at any given time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

If you put it around a colony you can get 40+ energy after its all filled up. If you fill it with anchorages you can get similar with fleet capacity. If you're not constrained by time/minerals, you get a lot more fleet cap taking extra starbases over the straight cap increase (but that is immediate and you don't have to spend resources to get it). Depending on your map, you can sometimes tie anchorage starbases with special buildings (black holes for +10 physics, or enclaves for their bonuses, or nebulas for +5 minerals). Lastly having a few defense starbases at chokes can buy you a lot of time to have a fleet respond to an attack, and if you can fight around one the bonuses available give a big edge in a fleet battle.

Yup, this is the real pro-tip. One game I had 5 anchorage bases all plopped down in a big nebula. Not a bad extra bit of minerals if I do say so!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

8-9 fortress trade hubs over colonies for energy+blacksite+storage
3-4 central ship yards at at a gate systems
6-7 anchorage=black hole observatory/nebula refinery/enclave special+fleet logistics+storage
Choke point bastions as needed. dont forget to fortify unsecured wormholes

As many as they give me, i have use for. Id rather pay the upkeep on an anchorage over having just free fleet cap just for the other things i can get from the location buildings.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Aethernet posted:

Someone asked in the thread the other day which civics they should take, so I've prepared a short guide for the non-special civics - the ones that can be swapped out. As before, I'd prefer that it represented the Goon Consensus, so please point out anything I should change before putting it in the OP.

These recommendations look great. You might be interested in checking out this other excellent guide to Stellaris perks / ethics / etc: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=910342178

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The tiny outliner mod makes dealing with managing my 42 stations a bit easier, at least I don't feel like I'm going to wear out my scroll wheel.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
It's been a while since I've played. What does Hyperlane detection range do? It seems to be on everything

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

DarkAvenger211 posted:

It's been a while since I've played. What does Hyperlane detection range do? It seems to be on everything

How far you can see the hyperlane network.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does any kind of lore/story stuff eventually happen in the system that the L gates lead too? There's a lot of good resources there, but i was hoping for something actually interesting happening.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dongattack posted:

Does any kind of lore/story stuff eventually happen in the system that the L gates lead too? There's a lot of good resources there, but i was hoping for something actually interesting happening.

I just opened my 5th L-gate into nothing but some special resources. Yet to see any hostiles let alone interesting writing :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dongattack posted:

Not that I found but maybe someday they'll put some special stuff to find in there. At least a special archaeological story bit like you get in the precursor systems would be nice.

I mean they're reworking it because the gates are were way to easy to open at Distant Stars launch and you could just murder yourself because you got too many "lucky" anomalies giving you the insights.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
While I know the differences between planets, I still choose wet planets if it fits the theme of a custom race I am doing.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nightgull posted:

Why would anyone pick wet planets then? Society is always my highest research number and food is pretty much solved by station buildings.

Food just comes out of my ears in this game, to the point that I'll basically do whatever I can to get rid of it. My last game I was making +300 food, with 5000 stocked up. And I was going around replacing +2 farms and closing hydroponics stations and replacing them with nothing just to save on energy costs. They could double pop food costs and it would hardly affect my play.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

You can sell food so it feels less bad to have a lot of it now. Cold or dry is still better but I pick planet pref mostly on theme.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, i kinda dislike L gates then, they leave a wide open hole for anyone to teleport directly into my heartlands. I disable wormholes for that reason. Hope they make them more worth it with interesting events/story soon.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I don't quite get why food was implemented as it is. If you have a shitload of it you don't really grow quickly, it's not hard to maintain, and it's done nothing but screw up the AIs ability to grow/manage planets since its introduction.

I think it would be fine to either make food genuinely impactful where it does something to affect your empire or perhaps consider a way to further reduce its impact since currently it's only a drag on the AI.

One more reason I find playing robot hive minds to be a lot of fun, since they don't deal with food period. The downside is growing pops, yuck.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

They have gotten feedback that people were disappointed by 'positive' L-clusters because it seemed like they lost out and unless there's a big bad behind them they aren't really very interesting, and they're going to work on that.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

I don't quite get why food was implemented as it is. If you have a shitload of it you don't really grow quickly, it's not hard to maintain, and it's done nothing but screw up the AIs ability to grow/manage planets since its introduction.

I think it would be fine to either make food genuinely impactful where it does something to affect your empire or perhaps consider a way to further reduce its impact since currently it's only a drag on the AI.

One more reason I find playing robot hive minds to be a lot of fun, since they don't deal with food period. The downside is growing pops, yuck.

They listened to the people who objected to it being per-planet only. So the made it empire-wide. All else has followed from this. They added the growth bonus to try and not turn it into 'as much as you need without going over'. People still have issues with how much/little they can make, especially as, as you note, the growth bonus isn't that great as your empire scales up and up in size. Hive Minds care more, but the issue with how much you can hold in reserve is still there.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 1, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So growth rate talks. You get 1 base, each point of food gives .02, up to a max of 2 per planet. So 100 excess food gives you 3 base growth instead of 1 (assuming only 1 planet is growing 1 organic pop), which is then modified by things that normally modify growth rate. You fill out planets silly fast if you've got the food. Then once your population caps, turn to trader enclaves and trade away excess food for minerals or energy, and once you take a new planet you can temporarily stop the trade.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ZypherIM posted:

So growth rate talks. You get 1 base, each point of food gives .02, up to a max of 2 per planet. So 100 excess food gives you 3 base growth instead of 1 (assuming only 1 planet is growing 1 organic pop), which is then modified by things that normally modify growth rate. You fill out planets silly fast if you've got the food. Then once your population caps, turn to trader enclaves and trade away excess food for minerals or energy, and once you take a new planet you can temporarily stop the trade.

Yeah and when you have 10 planets growing 10 organic pops which will be the case much of the game when you have 100 excess food, it gives you 1.3 base growth, which is equivalent or worse than taking rapid breeder

Basically what I'm saying is if you get a shitload of food you still can't grow quickly, the use of a single planet example is generous and a bit misleading - when your planet count is low your food amount will be too, so it may be +10 or +15 surplus when it's one planet and pop, and when you start rolling 100/200+ it becomes really hard to see the impact since you will usually have a dozen planets that are in the process of growing until handed off to a sector, at which point more planets will be colonized so you will still have like 10ish pops growing usually.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 1, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Counterpoint: When you're a Devouring Swarm, and you start eating people, your growth goes through the roof.

I had like +1.3k food after my last war for a while.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah and when you have 10 planets growing 10 organic pops which will be the case much of the game when you have 100 excess food, it gives you 1.3 base growth, which is equivalent or worse than taking rapid breeder

Basically what I'm saying is if you get a shitload of food you still can't grow quickly, the use of a single planet example is really misleading - when your planet count is low your food amount will be too, so it may be +10 or +15 surplus when it's one planet and pop, and when you start rolling 100/200+ it becomes really hard to see the impact since you will usually have a dozen planets that are in the process of growing until handed off to a sector, at which point more planets will be colonized so you will still have like 10ish pops growing usually.

So at 100 food and 10 growing pops it would be +0.2 growth per planet, rapid breeder gives +20% (+20% of 1 growth is 0.2). Now add in the fact that food is base growth and all growth modifiers apply to it, and 100 food is better. If you step up to your listed 200 food at 10 pops, you're at +0.4 base growth per pop, which is twice as good as rapid breeder not counting additional modifiers.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

Counterpoint: When you're a Devouring Swarm, and you start eating people, your growth goes through the roof.

I had like +1.3k food after my last war for a while.

Yeah I was talking in the context of regular empires, though I guess for hive minds they did actually make it meaningful. I think they should explore ways to make it meaningful for regular meatbag empires too. Compare a food based normal build to a rapid breeder + mechanist start where you have the growth from the pops and the growth from the robots, and it's quite the difference.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ZypherIM posted:

So at 100 food and 10 growing pops it would be +0.2 growth per planet, rapid breeder gives +20% (+20% of 1 growth is 0.2). Now add in the fact that food is base growth and all growth modifiers apply to it, and 100 food is better. If you step up to your listed 200 food at 10 pops, you're at +0.4 base growth per pop, which is twice as good as rapid breeder not counting additional modifiers.

I feel when adding in the opportunity cost of all those farms wasting tiles to get a nice food surplus it's really a rough trade, and I'd like to see food do more. If you're a fan of the current implementation that's cool, I'd just like to see food be a bit more important.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Let me build organic ships that are like 50% food as a civic. Meat ships from meat planet plz.

https://youtu.be/ZP7K9SycELA

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea excess food production gave that much of a boost to non-Devouring empires. I've been keeping it at like +20 at all times.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I feel when adding in the opportunity cost of all those farms wasting tiles to get a nice food surplus it's really a rough trade, and I'd like to see food do more. If you're a fan of the current implementation that's cool, I'd just like to see food be a bit more important.

I'm not saying there isn't room to improve food usage and stuff, just that it is more impactful than people think. Growing to 16 population on 100% habitablity world takes just over 700 total growth progress (lower hab% modifies the rate, so 80% hab takes 1.2x longer to grow). I'm a little too lazy to include upgrading gene clinic to the upgraded version partway, but +10% from a tech, +10% from a building, +20% rapid breeders (another +25% if you're inward perfection). Modifiers are additive, so 1.2 (1.4 for rapid breeder on top)x <base growth>. So it takes roughly 48 (41) years to fill that planet. If you have +0.2 from excess food you're instead looking at roughly 40 (34) years, with +0.4 from excess food it'll be 34 (30).

If you want to mess around with crazy growth builds, try out an inward perfection rapid breeder on wet climates. You start with a 1.45x growth rate, getting up to 1.65x after the early tech and gene clinic. That planet from before fills out in 25 years at +0.4 food. If you have full growth bonus you're filling that out in under 12 years.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

So how is the game now that they have forced hyperlanes on everyone? I really like my wormholes and being able to head off any fleet. Is corvette spam still a thing?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Thrasophius posted:

So how is the game now that they have forced hyperlanes on everyone? I really like my wormholes and being able to head off any fleet. Is corvette spam still a thing?

Slow as molasses and yes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Thrasophius posted:

It's slow as gently caress and wars are annoying because the AI is determined to be as annoying as possible without any real hope of accomplishing much. And yeah it's still pretty much the best thing going as near as I can tell.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Thrasophius posted:

Corvette spam is a thing but probably not in the way you're thinking of if you haven't played since 2.0

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah they're better for different reasons, but still probably the all around optimal choice.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Slow as molasses and yes.

PittTheElder posted:

It's slow as gently caress and wars are annoying because the AI is determined to be as annoying as possible without any real hope of accomplishing much. And yeah it's still pretty much the best thing going as near as I can tell.

So it's slow as gently caress now and spam is still a thing. Sounds like a step backwards. Did they at least change warscore and get rid of the whole "oh you completely dominated me and occupied all my territory. You have enough score for these two planets. How about a 10 year truce?"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I like that it's down to one movement system now but I do hope they speed up fleet movement.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Eltoasto posted:

I like the followup where someone comes by and is like "Hey, mind if we murder those peeps still living on it?"

Sure buddy, go for it
Yeah, it's not like I wasn't going to do it myself.