Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Counter: Yes. The middle is bad but the start and finish are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

He said he was growing it out for the show back in season 4!

stephen amell eat the eggsgrow the van dyke

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

Counter: Yes. The middle is bad but the start and finish are good.

How was the ending good or satisfying?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I watched the finale and I wanted to be nice but gently caress Off. Couple of nice fights but that sucked rear end.

Give Ollie a season on the Waverider, let him tell various rulers through history that they have failed their cities or something. Please just cheer the sad fucker up :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McDragon posted:

Well I watched the finale and I wanted to be nice but gently caress Off. Couple of nice fights but that sucked rear end.

Give Ollie a season on the Waverider, let him tell various rulers through history that they have failed their cities or something. Please just cheer the sad fucker up :(

:mad:: Julius Caesar! You have failed this empire!
:flame:: BACK OFF HOODIE! CAESAR’S MINE!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oliver on the Waverider would be a hell of a thing. It would be like Rip fighting for power with Sarah all over only Sara would totally lose. But then Oliver would just lose his mind over all the actions and decisions of the Legends and try to fire them or something. Then he'd just take Ava's job or something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The writing staff for next season posted a group picture to Twitter recently
https://twitter.com/ARROWwriters/status/1001571727443308545
I'll admit, I'm more curious to see how the show does next fall now.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Which one is Speed Weed

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

I'm impressed that many women are Arrow writers.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

It should be noted that this is a new writing staff to go along with the new showrunner. Not sure how many of them, if any, are holdovers from the most recent season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm impressed that many women are Arrow writers.

I'm pretty sure that's the point. Didn't the old head writer get fired for being a sex monster?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the point. Didn't the old head writer get fired for being a sex monster?

Hold showrunner/head writer. Season 7 might be a whole new world.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Can't be any worse!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

You're thinking of the guy in charge of Flash and Supergirl, Andrew Kreisberg. I don't think Guggenheim was fired, or at least he and Wendy Maracle weren't publicly fired.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Klungar posted:

It should be noted that this is a new writing staff to go along with the new showrunner. Not sure how many of them, if any, are holdovers from the most recent season.

After that last season I hope everyone was replaced.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoyed it with the caveat that it was the best way they could clean up the messy season. I've said it the last few weeks but I think they finished off strong as best as they could since you can't go back and correct your mistakes. And I'm fine with Supermax Arrow and Diaz Take 2. I have cautious optimism that Kirk Acevedo can pull off a psychopath bent on revenge without the failed super crime boss genius stuff the finale effectively neutralized. And maybe Longbow Hunters? I'm game but I was never close to hatewatching this season.

If you haven't seen 12 Monkeys, Season 1 Episode 11 "Atari" has him doing an amazing supervillian. However I'm not sure how much faith I have in the overall production to give him the material to get that kind of performance.

I've said it before, but send Diaz to Legends and he'll end up as a great villain or Legend. Either/or.

edit: Actually, you really have to watch 12 Monkeys from the start up to ep 11 to really get a solid feel for the character arc to that point. Acevedo's character grew up without parents in a hosed up world, did crazy poo poo to survive, and in episode 11 takes him to the point of being a major player in The Army of the 12 Monkeys, which since it's a time travel show he's basically been the man in the shadows up until that point. He's effectively a 10x better version of what Diaz should have been.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 1, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

I thought one of the main good things about Kreisberg leaving (besides him being a sex monster) was that they'd stop axing all of the writers between seasons?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 1, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just watch all of 12 Monkey's. Season 1 isn't nearly as good as the rest, but it turns into a god drat good show.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Thank god they saved Diaz so we can get more Diaz. Can't get enough of that Diaz.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

If you haven't seen 12 Monkeys, Season 1 Episode 11 "Atari" has him doing an amazing supervillian. However I'm not sure how much faith I have in the overall production to give him the material to get that kind of performance.

I've said it before, but send Diaz to Legends and he'll end up as a great villain or Legend. Either/or.

Yeah, I'm plenty familiar with Acevedo from 12 Monkeys and going all the way back to Oz. He's one of my favorite low level actors. Which is why I'm more than happy to give him and the show the opportunity for a second take on the character now that they've effectively wiped the slate clean of the stuff they screwed up with him the first time. Forget all the "super genius who has already won and whatever the gently caress the Quad is" stuff that we mocked. He's a psychopath willing to burn to death some schoolyard bully from 20 years ago for revenge and Oliver Queen just thwarted him and screwed up all his poo poo. Arrow and Acevedo can make that work.

Will they? I have no idea. But I'm not even half way as down on the show as a lot of people in this thread. If I was I would have quit it already.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Diaz knew he was going to be blown into that harbor and just swam down to his underwater lair.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

howe_sam posted:

Jeez, 70% of the employed female tv writers in LA at one table.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm plenty familiar with Acevedo from 12 Monkeys and going all the way back to Oz. He's one of my favorite low level actors. Which is why I'm more than happy to give him and the show the opportunity for a second take on the character now that they've effectively wiped the slate clean of the stuff they screwed up with him the first time. Forget all the "super genius who has already won and whatever the gently caress the Quad is" stuff that we mocked. He's a psychopath willing to burn to death some schoolyard bully from 20 years ago for revenge and Oliver Queen just thwarted him and screwed up all his poo poo. Arrow and Acevedo can make that work.

Will they? I have no idea. But I'm not even half way as down on the show as a lot of people in this thread. If I was I would have quit it already.

Speaking of 12 Monkeys

JUNE 15TH WOOOO

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally finished the season and the thread title is a lie right? Like did I miss it or did he not do the salmon ladder even once.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

MarcusSA posted:

Finally finished the season and the thread title is a lie right? Like did I miss it or did he not do the salmon ladder even once.

Probably why nobody's stayed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sir Potato posted:

Probably why nobody's stayed.

Yeah no poo poo. Thats like 20% of the reason I watched the show to see him do stupid workout stuff. I mean they hit that black bag thing a lot but eh its just not the same.

Bring back workout Ollie!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I didn't hate the season, but the Diaz storyline just seemed weird and unearned, considering he seemed like a complete background character during the Cayden James stuff (did he even really have any lines outside the episode where Diggle bought the magic fixing juice?). I don't get why Black Siren was so afraid of him the entire time. If he is genuinely coming back to be the Big Bad for Season 7, it's kind of difficult to get hyped about because I was a little sick of him by the end of the season (even if he's teaming up with the Longbow Hunters or whoever).

The ending was ok, it's hard to judge how they'll do with the "Oliver in prison" story until we see how they run with it. I'm assuming it's kind of the impetus for Roy coming back (he's supposed to be a regular next season, right?) I was disappointed that they killed off Lance (have they not killed enough of that family already?) The conflict within the team throughout the season also just didn't feel well-written, then it's just waved away with Oliver's little goodbye scenes.

I dunno, there was some good stuff in the season and the finale, but a lot of just weird or bad stuff. Hopefully the new writing team and showrunners do a better job for Season 7.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The only way I would ever see them keeping Diaz around actually paying off would be if they do that thing where the stakes are raised by having the new bad guy kill the previously unbeatable bad guy.

Like he storms into The Quadrant's headquarters, drenched in water, screaming about how Oliver Queen is DEAD and someone new just unceremoniously snaps his neck before they go to sit down at the table, alone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The only way I would ever see them keeping Diaz around actually paying off would be if they do that thing where the stakes are raised by having the new bad guy kill the previously unbeatable bad guy.

Like he storms into The Quadrant's headquarters, drenched in water, screaming about how Oliver Queen is DEAD and someone new just unceremoniously snaps his neck before they go to sit down at the table, alone.

I'm trying to think of who they could get to do that and all that's occurring to me is Bane.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Diaz might have been slightly more palatable if it weren't for how they mishandled THE QUADRANT, greatest criminal organization ever that was co-opted by some drug dealer or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All super powerful secret organizations are always like that in TV. They're built up to be super powerful and sinister, but get chumped by a main character as soon as the plot needs it to be. It really reminded me of lovely 90s action shows in that way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

VictorianQueerLit posted:

They should have the Longbow Hunters just up and murder him right away.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just popping in to say I'm behind and I'm halfway through one ep past Diggle leaving. This is insufferable melodramatic nonsense. Do I dare bother stick it out? Tell me it rights its ship soon?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Feenix posted:

Just popping in to say I'm behind and I'm halfway through one ep past Diggle leaving. This is insufferable melodramatic nonsense. Do I dare bother stick it out? Tell me it rights its ship soon?

lol well...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MarcusSA posted:

lol well...

gently caress. I’m out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Feenix posted:

I realized I missed this episode and didn't bother going back to watch it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Feenix posted:

gently caress. I’m out.

They do rectify a lot of the bullshit by the end of the season, but I'm not sure the journey was worth the destination

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

They do rectify a lot of the bullshit by the end of the season, but I'm not sure the journey was worth the destination

You could probably summarize the events of the season that are of any note in 2-3 episodes, not counting the crossover

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

oh jay posted:

Diaz might have been slightly more palatable if it weren't for how they mishandled THE QUADRANT, greatest criminal organization ever that was co-opted by some drug dealer or something.

I skipped a massive chunk of episodes before the trial got started and it helped a lot. Near the end I was more "oh ok I see where they're going with Diaz, I think they got there" because of it. I think someone here described it here as Diaz just having a lot of time to think about this and really, really wanting it, and I agree. He's a planner, but he also has a cockroach's survival instinct and a little bit of luck.

Not sure how we get from James dying to owning the entire city, but I don't really give a gently caress since I wasn't here for it. It made watching the finale actually fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
OMG I'm in the courtroom verdict episode and it's just like... what is even going on.

Laurel, you can scream his head off any time you like. Why are you afraid?

Laural, ok so that time at the end he had a dampener. YOU HAVE A loving PISTOL.

Ugggghhhh...