Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Little Kazu got them longboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

remusclaw posted:

I played that for the first time recently. It has fighting game style button presses for moves, which was something of a turnoff, but I assume it is worth learning as I have never heard anyone speak ill of it.

Giant Gram 2000 had some really cool team stuff where you could do 1 vs 2, 2 vs 1 (light), 2 vs 1 (heavy), and 2 vs 2 (which was often synchronised finishers).

It also had a pretty interesting way of doing a create mode. You had your base wrestler who would have very few moves (a punch, a kick, a bodyslam, a stomp) and you learned new moves by training against other wrestlers and having them do them to you. Furthermore, when you got those moves, the more you did them in training, the more they'd level up and the stronger they'd get. Eventually, some would level up and unlock a followup or a new move altogether. For example, if you level up brainbuster to level 30 gives you the sheer drop version followup, and levelling up the sheer drop version to level 30 unlocks the Steiner Screwdriver as a new move. You can also combine moves, which is how you get the burning attacks and the super powerful moves (like combining the Muscle Buster and Muscle Driver gives you the Giant Gram).

There's also a History mode where you have to play through certain matches and hit certain spots at specific times to gain rating points. The famous Kawada vs Misawa match is there with the Ganso Bomb spot as a double reversal bonus spot (Kawada powerbomb reversed into Hurricanrana reversed into Ganso Bomb).

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Giant Gram 2000 is definitely a game you have to learn but once you do it's amazing. The way you can exchange counters is unlike any other wrestling game. IMO it's the only wrestling game where you can play to win and still have an actually entertaining wrestling match. The engine is designed that way.

On a base level it just seems like an arcadey wrestling game but they captured King's Road style so well. If you're into 90's AJPW / early NOAH it's a must-play. The animations and sound effects are also the best.

edit rant: For example, the Ganso Bomb is in the game but the only way to do it is for Kawada to try a powerbomb on Misawa, Misawa to try to reverse it into a huracanrana, and for Kawada to counter that reversal into the Ganso Bomb. (Edit2: guy before me literally mentioned this example whoops)

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 22, 2018

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Seymour Buttz posted:

On a base level it just seems like an arcadey wrestling game but they captured King's Road style so well. If you're into 90's AJPW / early NOAH it's a must-play. The animations and sound effects are also the best.

The sound effects are great, especially the one that signals bone breaking that sounds like someone throwing a drum kit through a window.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I've got some creations in Fire Pro that are in desperate need of theme music. Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5YCDiRZocQ&feature=youtu.be

Miraglo: A brave technico, and sworn enemy of the Rudo King. Fights for justice and fair play, often alongside his sister Dama Relampagio.

Captain Vanessa Kincaid: a pirate. I might use the end credits theme from the film Serenity for her theme; I wouldn't be against something steampunky if you have ideas.

Los Defensores (La Espada/El Escuda): A heroic lucha tag team.

VERSUS!

El Volcan: right-hand man-mountain to the Rudo King.

"The Jester" Chester Callahan: evil clown (is there any other kind?) Currently considering Three Dog Night's "The Show Must Go On."

The Uprising (Fabian Montrose/Quentin St. Ives): heavily inspired by Dalton Castle's Boys. They already have a theme--"Children of the Revolution" by T.Rex--but I'm still working on their looks. Also, not wild about "Quentin St. Ives," so if you've got ideas, I'm open.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

use this for somebody. i don't know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL1jPWOEwB8

Nevermind it doesn't ramp up enough at any point. I'm going to leave it on here. digital littering is funny

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Tekken 7 will be getting some free NJPW tat at the end of the month.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/999288940153618433

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
WWE2k18 has some great glitches. Before a match between Daniel Bryan and AJ Styles, Ricochet kept showing up in place of AJ's picture on the loading screen. But Daniel and AJ had their entrances and the match started like normal. When it did, Ricochet was just chillin in the middle of the ring like he was a competitor. He attacked both of us, we attacked him, but he couldn't pin or apply submissions to anyone because he wasn't technically "in the match". He still broke up pins though, so it was like a singles match with the added stipulation that Ricochet could gently caress with you.

I'd like to see this on a PPV sometime frankly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

Mick Foley sleeping under a pile of newspapers in one of the ring corners, if he gets woken up both combatants are disqualified and Foley wins.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WWE2k18 has some great glitches. Before a match between Daniel Bryan and AJ Styles, Ricochet kept showing up in place of AJ's picture on the loading screen. But Daniel and AJ had their entrances and the match started like normal. When it did, Ricochet was just chillin in the middle of the ring like he was a competitor. He attacked both of us, we attacked him, but he couldn't pin or apply submissions to anyone because he wasn't technically "in the match". He still broke up pins though, so it was like a singles match with the added stipulation that Ricochet could gently caress with you.

If you added the stipulation that he could also win the bout, this would be HHH's favorite type of match ever

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Had 2K17 for a year and a half, and holy poo poo, just discovered Nikita Koloff's Russian Sickle is in the game. Time for weak, puny Americans to go down!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
2k18 Glitch #2 today: Kota Ibushi vs The Miz in a Last Man Standing match for the IC title.

Kota's entrance is first and during, Curtis Axel comes out to beat him up on the ramp (so far normal since he's one of Miz's friends in-game). Kota recovers, dropkicks Axel, applies a shoulder claw which immediately causes the ref to ring the bell and the announcers to declare Kota the winner of the match and on to the next match. :psyduck:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

2k18 Glitch #2 today: Kota Ibushi vs The Miz in a Last Man Standing match for the IC title.

Kota's entrance is first and during, Curtis Axel comes out to beat him up on the ramp (so far normal since he's one of Miz's friends in-game). Kota recovers, dropkicks Axel, applies a shoulder claw which immediately causes the ref to ring the bell and the announcers to declare Kota the winner of the match and on to the next match. :psyduck:

"Congratulations! You've Unlocked the Vince Russo Achievement!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not a glitch. If that was Universe mode, the game considers run-ins like that as separate from the advertised match.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It's sadly Universe mode working as intended.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
drat... i guess i was the glitch all along!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Not a glitch. If that was Universe mode, the game considers run-ins like that as separate from the advertised match.

Holy poo poo why did they keep that?!

Or did they add it? It's been a while since I played 2K17

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my universe mode keeps putting sheamus on my roster no matter how many times i take him out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

my universe mode keeps putting sheamus on my roster no matter how many times i take him out.

WWE Games have always had weird things the AI would insist on in season/universe mode. One of the earlier WWE smackdown games gave X-Pac seemingly endless WWE title shots, I remember winning the title, and the next 3 major shows was something like

Me vs X-Pac
Me vs X-Pac vs Kurt Angle
Me Vs X-Pac in a cage (I generally hate cage matches in wrestling games because climbing's always a pain in the rear end)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Are you suggesting that you don't want Sheamus? Because you want Sheamus.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

Holy poo poo why did they keep that?!

Or did they add it? It's been a while since I played 2K17

Because, and I hate to say this, 2k WWE games are poo poo and they don't fix anything that isn't super game breaking.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Testekill posted:

Because, and I hate to say this, 2kYuke's WWE games are poo poo and they don't fix anything that isn't super game breaking.

Fixed that for you. 2K is just the publisher. Nothing will change as long as Yuke's is churning them out.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't think the developer matters.
The game needs a break in its yearly development cycle.
But if people are just going to buy the game no matter how bad it is why not just poo poo in a box and sell it?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Timby posted:

Fixed that for you. 2K is just the publisher. Nothing will change as long as Yuke's is churning them out.

I honestly think that they've actually gotten worse with 2K as the publisher though. 2K14 was probably their last good one and even then that was basically just working with what Yukes had at THQ before they made the jump to current gen.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't think the developer matters.
The game needs a break in its yearly development cycle.
But if people are just going to buy the game no matter how bad it is why not just poo poo in a box and sell it?

Basically this is the problem. They have less than a year to make the game for the following year and thus can't fix stuff that's been broken since probably the first SmackDown game even. If they did a new release every two years and did roster DLC in the interim they'd probably still make just as much money, possibly more. Of course the other problem exists that this is a niche genre with very little competition (I'd even argue Fire Pro caters to a different type of fan in a lot of respects) and thus no impetus to improve, and instead load it down with arbitrary things including a faux cash shop (which will probably become a real cash shop for 2K19 :barf:)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

WWE Games have always had weird things the AI would insist on in season/universe mode. One of the earlier WWE smackdown games gave X-Pac seemingly endless WWE title shots, I remember winning the title, and the next 3 major shows was something like

Me vs X-Pac
Me vs X-Pac vs Kurt Angle
Me Vs X-Pac in a cage (I generally hate cage matches in wrestling games because climbing's always a pain in the rear end)
I liked how, based on the card and the match times, every show in Wrestlemania 2000's career mode was at least five hours long.

Yes, Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 accurately predicted the future of WWE.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if it weren't for the 2 count glitch and the random universe reset glitch wwe13 would have probably beaten out here comes the pain for best game since no mercy

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

I liked how, based on the card and the match times, every show in Wrestlemania 2000's career mode was at least five hours long.

Yes, Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 accurately predicted the future of WWE.

If you aren't hyped for a 59 minute Hardcore Holly vs. Billy Gunn match, that's on you.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rare Magic card l00k posted:

If you aren't hyped for a 59 minute Hardcore Holly vs. Billy Gunn match, that's on you.

ending in a double dq

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
This loks pretty cool until the eventual lawsuit that shuts it down

https://twitter.com/AKI_Evolution

https://twitter.com/AKI_Evolution/status/998747927056089088

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Anyone play MMA Tycoon?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I mean there’s been modern roster updates for No Mercy for years and years

Also lol Fraps in 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

I mean there’s been modern roster updates for No Mercy for years and years

Also lol Fraps in 2018

Gotta have that authentic 2008 No Mercy mod experience

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fire Pro World comes to PS4 Aug 28

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Now with pre-order deets and links for the west:
https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/1002301443737464833

Takuan
May 6, 2007

~Tonight!~
GAME Pro Wrestling Presents Limit Break! Live @ 8:05 EST
Full card:
4 Way Scramble:
Chun-Li vs Cuphead vs Faith Conners vs Tracer
6-Man Tag Match:
King Bowser, D’Vorah, & Goro Majima vs Duke Nukem, Solid Snake, & Frank West
Tag Team Exhibition:
The Sons of Light(Megaman & Protoman) vs The Returners(Terra Branford & Sabin Figaro)
Falls Count Anywhere:
Link vs 2B
Special Showcase Exhibition Match:
Rainbow Mika vs A Literal Bear
GAME Pro Wrestling vs The World Match:
NEMESIS vs Stan Hansen
Special Singles Match:
Trevor Belmont vs Mettaton
Phobos Death Match(Exploding Barbwire, win only through knockout or submission)
THE DOOMSLAYER vs Scorpion

Live Tonight @8:05 Eastern on
https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
What the gently caress Luigi

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

Me and my friends playing this on Aug 28

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I don't have a twitch account so I couldn't comment but I caught the second half of that card. The deathmatch at the end owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

That's not a glitch that's just WCW mode.

I'm not sure if even 2K could get glitched enough for Hogan to win a strap match against Ric Flair by pinning Vader. Has a game ever had a strap/bullrope match? Seems like it would have happened but i cant think of one.