Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

They're mostly for ambiance. Most of the ones I've seen used much were guys who missed sitting at the bar to watch the game but had families now, so had their buddies over and built a dive bar in their basement.

Oh dear. How sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It’s also for people who want to compartmentalize the outside experience but in a homogenized “safe” space they control and manage.

It’s just another “thing we normally have to go to a shared social space to enjoy”, now we can do at home by ourselves in a room imitating the outside experience.

This is like McMansions 101

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yes I understand, but the bar is the odd one out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you guys see a lot of people adding basement bars now, or in new construction? To me it seems so '50s-'70s. The only home bar trend that I'm seeing now is bar carts, often rehabbed ones.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just :lol: if you don't immediately drink all alcohol present in your home

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I went to high school with someone who had a bar in their basement. It was definitely a late 70's construction with all those angles.

SpartanIvy posted:

:yeah:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I haven’t really seen them in post-bubble construction, with the exception of McMansions.

SpartanIvy posted:

Hide alcoholism under the thin veneer of the family home bar experience

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 30, 2018

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
A bar in your home is for drinks and drink making things much like how a kitchen is for food and food making things. It is usually in a room where you entertain guests so as to not have to leave to make drinks. Now that kitchens are more open to entertaining spaces it is more common to see a cabinet or corner dedicated to the booze arts instead of an area in the living room/entertainment area.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

JEEVES420 posted:

A bar in your home is for drinks and drink making things much like how a kitchen is for food and food making things. It is usually in a room where you entertain guests so as to not have to leave to make drinks. Now that kitchens are more open to entertaining spaces it is more common to see a cabinet or corner dedicated to the booze arts instead of an area in the living room/entertainment area.

Oh so that’s why they call it a baby room

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Oh so that’s why they call it a baby room

Not to be confused with the baby making room that may or may not have a bar depending on the age of construction.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JEEVES420 posted:

I recently moved from appartments built during the 60's and 70's to one built in 2000. Holy poo poo is it amazing to have an open kitchen area.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Basement bars are actually where you put all your bottles of liquor and immediately forget them because the only thing you actually drink is Miller Lite then go on business trips while your kid and their friends get ripped in the basement

god bless basement bars

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just want to decorate my den/sports watching/alcohol storage corner with lots of alcohol parephenalia and microbrewery stickers.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

If you put the bar in the kitchen then where does the sweet pool table go?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf posted:

In the pool, idiot

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

there wolf posted:

Kitchen Island that every house has now doubles as the pool table. I hung my TV over the stove for the entertaining trifecta, never have to leave to the kitchen again!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My buddy's parents' house built in the late 90s/early 00s had a basement bar but it was more so that the basement was an on-suite and the kitchen just had a sink and fridge.

As an under-ager it was god drat sweet.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Kitchen Island that every house has now doubles as the pool table. I hung my TV over the stove for the entertaining trifecta, never have to leave to the kitchen again!

Stick a La-Z-Boy on a rollout shelf in a cabinet.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
gently caress a bar cart. I put together one back when I drank more and honestly that thing was just a dust magnet. Just a bunch of fragile glassware and bottles (minus the handle of Tito's to keep it from ruining the aesthetic) that needed to be full on Windex'ed every time company came over. Plus the dang thing was on casters which made zero sense because if you even leaned against it all the glasses would fall over.

I inherited a glass front china cabinet and it's much more useful for holding my wineglasses. Liquor is now only bought for actual occasions, because guess what, drinking mixed cocktails on the regular at home is a pain in the rear end.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My great aunts house had what I would describe as a pure party basement. It had a full bar, like, seating for at least 20, C-shaped counter, full sink, loving bar. And a dedicated dance floor, a wonderful space for a pool table, a quiet little fireplace corner for just talking to company, a small little gym....

And then about 100 yards off the main house it had a party pavilion with a smaller bar and it was all screened in and (if my 8 year old brain remembers correctly) that thing was a solid 100’x40’ at least. I know we did a lot of indoor quiots and cornhole in there.

It also had a rad little courtyard space of like 20’x20’

But it was just a weird little 60s ranch house, not a huge mansion or anything, situated on maybe like 3 acres, most of which was just woods

That house loving ruled, and it got sold to the county so they could run a loving highway through the land, and I’m pissed because I could’ve been living there now

And that’s my basement bar story

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Basement bars are great provided you have friends.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I'm usually the first to tell people smaller homes are the way to go, but can also definitely understand why in-home bars had their moment, particularly if you're from a big family. It just depends on each individual lifestyle.

My aunt and uncle had a rad-as-gently caress walk out basement with a fireplace, room for a couple of sofas and a few comfy chairs and a bar that sat probably 8 or 10 people. We had bible study down there every Wednesday, game nights every other Saturday and Christmas mornings/NYE at their house were awesome.

The bar gave us plenty of room to spread out Christmas morning coffee/tea/coffee cake, or veggie trays and sandwiches for bible study/game night and there was always enough seating and space to put cups and plates (versus bible study at homes where you had to sit in a semicircle on folding chairs while balancing a bunch of crap on your lap.) My aunt loved puzzles and had one spot on the bar dedicated to whatever puzzle she was doing that week. I loved staying up late with her and just chatting, drinking tea and doing a puzzle. It was also nice because they had dogs large enough to reach the kitchen counter, so potluck spreads were only safe at bar height.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
Agh, you guys don't know what it was like in 70s suburbia.

Apart from the fact that there are generally no bars in walking distance or public transportation near suburbs, in the 70s:

1. People were much more accepting of casual drinking. The idea of what constituted problem drinking was very different then.
2. There were three or maybe four TV channels. You watched what was on, or you didn't watch anything.
3. There were no VCRs yet.
4. There were no video games to speak of yet, and they were for kids, anyway.
5. Eating at a restaurant was something special. Once or twice a month, maybe, but certainly not even twice a week. Mostly if parents could get a babysitter.

All of this is to say:

This is going to sound crazy, but it was very common to VISIT with your neighbors. All the kids would run around the yards in a gang all day, and if a mom called a kid and he didn't answer, she'd call around or maybe just walk around looking, and get invited in, and have a drink. Someone comes to borrow a tool? Come on in and have a beer. Sometimes a neighbor would come to talk, and they'd break out the booze and kick all the kids out of the house for some peace and quiet. Lots of the guys had tractors with snowplows, and in the winter they'd go around from house to house plowing driveways, and if someone invited them in to get warm, well ...

Oh, and the drinking age was 18 then, too.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime.mp3

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I bought a MCM cabinet to hold my record player and amp and bar supplies/liquor. I keep it in my kitchen and also store my house plants on it. Fight me I guess??

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
also, we decorated with a fishbowl at the entrance and a rhino horn cocaine straw

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
No. Cigarette smoke was an ever-present thing, though. And shag carpeting.

Edit: The hall, stairs, and my parents' bedroom had a weird multi-colored shag carpet that was red, yellow-orange, and dark green. Very weird.

And the bathroom had a white tub and toilet, but a red sink with black and white wallpaper. Those design decisions all came with the house, though.

guaranteed fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 31, 2018

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It could be worse: the bathroom could have had shag carpeting.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I don't know how 70s shag was all the same three ugly colors.

Was there some carpet baron who retired off his millions from his orange and green shag monopoly?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I think it's more that almost everything in the 70s was one of like 3-4 gently caress ugly colors.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Earth tones, kiddies.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

All I know is I was born in 1972 and developed a lifelong aversion to orange.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

One of my student flats had every room painted a different solid colour. Orange living room, a purple bedroom, another one was blue. And this was decorated in the 2000s.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

guaranteed posted:

All of this is to say:

This is going to sound crazy, but it was very common to VISIT with your neighbors. All the kids would run around the yards in a gang all day, and if a mom called a kid and he didn't answer, she'd call around or maybe just walk around looking, and get invited in, and have a drink. Someone comes to borrow a tool? Come on in and have a beer. Sometimes a neighbor would come to talk, and they'd break out the booze and kick all the kids out of the house for some peace and quiet. Lots of the guys had tractors with snowplows, and in the winter they'd go around from house to house plowing driveways, and if someone invited them in to get warm, well ...

Oh, and the drinking age was 18 then, too.

To touch on this, in the 70's you had the interstate system being built allowing people to move out of the cities to these new housing developments (white flight). Back then housing was pretty affordable too, so new families could easily move out there and start a family, and you'd have tons of new families with everyone being similar ages.

guaranteed posted:

No. Cigarette smoke was an ever-present thing, though. And shag carpeting.

Edit: The hall, stairs, and my parents' bedroom had a weird multi-colored shag carpet that was red, yellow-orange, and dark green. Very weird.

And the bathroom had a white tub and toilet, but a red sink with black and white wallpaper. Those design decisions all came with the house, though.

The house I grew up in from ~1988 - 2003 was built at some point in the late 60's or early 70's, and it was a single story catalog house with a room above the garage. By the time we moved out there, all the kids had grown up and left home, so my roving gang of kids totaled 4, including my brother.

This house had carpeting of that color in the half-bathroom and the room above the garage, although I don't know if it was shag. The rest of the carpeting (including that of the other bathroom) had been replaced with a more neutral gold color during the 80's. When we replaced the carpet we discovered that it was all covering hard wood floors.

My bedroom had stucco'd walls, but some of the other rooms had peeling paint to reveal green and purple paint beneath, and I recall one of the rooms had peeling gold wall paper.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I moved in, my house had, in the kitchen, a wall with a fake brick veneer. Like, they'd just taken 1/2"-wide slices of bricks and glued them onto drywall, no mortar or anything.

And then they painted it pastel lime green.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7lFCMyfkic

hello I brought a gift

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When I moved in, my house had, in the kitchen, a wall with a fake brick veneer. Like, they'd just taken 1/2"-wide slices of bricks and glued them onto drywall, no mortar or anything.

And then they painted it pastel lime green.

That reminds me of this house I drive by sometimes where all the brickwork is painted green except they only went halfway up the chimney.

I truly appreciate Google for allowing me to show this to you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

One of my student flats had every room painted a different solid colour. Orange living room, a purple bedroom, another one was blue. And this was decorated in the 2000s.

Honestly that seems like a great idea for a student flat. Make things real easy when you've had too much to drink and need to pass out, piss, or vomit.

Is this my bedroom? No, my bedroom is purple, this room is blue, this is not my bedroom.

Is this the bathroom? No, the bathroom is pink, this room is orange, this is not the bathroom.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The house I just bought has a kind of crows feet wall texture in most of the rooms and I don't think anything of it but one of my friends hates it. Thread, is that texture acceptable or should I go through the tedious process of scrapping it all off like she thinks I should?

E: best picture I have of it
https://imgur.com/Z3cEKN0

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SpartanIvy posted:

The house I just bought has a kind of crows feet wall texture in most of the rooms and I don't think anything of it but one of my friends hates it. Thread, is that texture acceptable or should I go through the tedious process of scrapping it all off like she thinks I should?

E: best picture I have of it
https://imgur.com/Z3cEKN0

If it doesn't bother you, give zero fucks. Sanding off texture is loving miserable.