Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I remember thinking Peace Sword was cool, but also I haven't listened to it in years.

It didn't leave the kind of impression on me that makes me think every so often "Oh man, that Peace Sword EP was really dope. I need to revisit that." like other Lips projects I've enjoyed a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's weirdly reminiscent of Zaireeka

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

precision posted:

yo this whole thing is good as gently caress

lthe Cleopatra Records "goth bands do Pink Floyd" as far as "actually good tribute albums"

Holy poo poo, I thought I was the only person on the planet who loves this album.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JnnyThndrs posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought I was the only person on the planet who loves this album.

It's amazing.

And I just now learned there were TWO of them - "A Saucerful of Pink" (the one I had) and "The Other Side of Pink". Many of the same bands are on both.

Flaming Lips are putting out a Greatest Hits album because of course they are. :geno:

quote:

The Flaming Lips have announced a greatest hits album, set for release later this year.

The standard album will feature 11 songs released by Warner Bros. Records between 1993 and 2017.

The Flaming Lips, Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (vinyl edition) track list
1. “Do You Realize??”
2. “Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 1″
3. “Race for the Prize”
4. “Waitin’ for a Superman”
5. “When You Smile”
6. “She Don’t Use Jelly”
Side Two:
1. “Bad Days (Aurally Excited Version)”
2. “The W.A.N.D.”
3. “Silver Trembling Hands”
4. “The Castle”
5. “The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song”

That is like the most embarrassing possible "greatest hits of the Warner Years" they could possibly have picked. It's more like a WORST OF. :mad:

Also they released a "new" song. It sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIZ_5ZQC2Po

gently caress you wayne coyne

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

precision posted:

It's amazing.

And I just now learned there were TWO of them - "A Saucerful of Pink" (the one I had) and "The Other Side of Pink". Many of the same bands are on both.

Flaming Lips are putting out a Greatest Hits album because of course they are. :geno:

That is like the most embarrassing possible "greatest hits of the Warner Years" they could possibly have picked. It's more like a WORST OF. :mad:

idk that new song sounds fine to me

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

precision posted:

It's amazing.

I like all of those songs except I don't know what "The Castle" is. I assume its from Oxcy Melody or w/e the last album was called.

I hate all their albums before Transmissions though so we probably don't have similar FLips tastes.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

precision posted:

It's amazing.

Yeah, I have ‘Saucerful of Pink’ as well. I’ll try to find a copy of the other one if it’s even half as good as the first.

To get back on track, I’m not really feeling this ‘new’ song either. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's the self-indulgent REEEEEE-AAAAA-LIIIIIIIIIZE that does it for me. just too on the nose wayne.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

I like all of those songs except I don't know what "The Castle" is. I assume its from Oxcy Melody or w/e the last album was called.

I hate all their albums before Transmissions though so we probably don't have similar FLips tastes.

I guess "hate" is a strong word but it feels like a product nobody needs or wants. Casual Lips fans don't need a Greatest Hits because Spotify has a playlist feature, hardcore Lips fans already own all those songs. It just feels like WB said "yo we're gonna do this whether you want to or not" and Wayne decided to try and control the narrative by making it seem like his idea.

Or maybe he just needs to fix his roof again and those sold out tours aren't paying the bills.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

I guess "hate" is a strong word but it feels like a product nobody needs or wants. Casual Lips fans don't need a Greatest Hits because Spotify has a playlist feature, hardcore Lips fans already own all those songs. It just feels like WB said "yo we're gonna do this whether you want to or not" and Wayne decided to try and control the narrative by making it seem like his idea.

Or maybe he just needs to fix his roof again and those sold out tours aren't paying the bills.
Are the Lips really still selling out tours in 2018 after years of Wayne pretty much blatantly implying that he doesn't give a gently caress what his longtime fans want anymore? You'd think most people would've wised up by now, but maybe not.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

precision posted:

That's from the Soft Bulletin Companion though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's why "new" was in quotes. :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are the Lips really still selling out tours in 2018 after years of Wayne pretty much blatantly implying that he doesn't give a gently caress what his longtime fans want anymore? You'd think most people would've wised up by now, but maybe not.

Well, they're on tour right now and it looks like the next venue they're playing that isn't a festival only has 30 seats available, but it's a smallish theater. The next date after that is an all-ages show at a big theater and General Admission tickets are... FIFTY DOLLARS lmao "you have to be joking"

I mean I just saw Xiu Xiu a few weeks ago for $15, I know the Lips are a lot more popular but they are not $35 worth of better

precision fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 30, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The worst part of this greatest hits album is that the CD version is like 40 songs and the vinyl is like 10.

Go for it Wayne, make it cost $80, you've got plenty of expensive vinyl box sets anyhow.

I mean not that I was really going to get it either way as I have the albums that aren't bad already.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I had the flaming lips beer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

T Bowl posted:

I had the flaming lips beer.

I think it's pretty frickin' nasty. We sell a lot of it where I work.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

precision posted:

Well, they're on tour right now and it looks like the next venue they're playing that isn't a festival only has 30 seats available, but it's a smallish theater. The next date after that is an all-ages show at a big theater and General Admission tickets are... FIFTY DOLLARS lmao "you have to be joking"

I mean I just saw Xiu Xiu a few weeks ago for $15, I know the Lips are a lot more popular but they are not $35 worth of better

Why is that surprising? The Flaming Lips were charging $50 for GA tickets at least as far back as 2007. Probably earlier, but that's the earliest I could find in my email history.

Concert ticket pricing isn't more money = more better.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Not that Wayne's not a shameless businessman as he is, but also Xiu Xiu's live shows probably cost a little less to run and transport.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Barry posted:

Why is that surprising? The Flaming Lips were charging $50 for GA tickets at least as far back as 2007. Probably earlier, but that's the earliest I could find in my email history.

Concert ticket pricing isn't more money = more better.

That's fair. I haven't seen them since 2001, when I paid $25 to see them in a large theater.

The last time I paid $50 for a concert was Nine Inch Nails in 2009. Which I mainly went to for Deerhunter, haha.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I've said this before but I paid $90 to see The Cure up close and it was worth it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Last time I saw the lips it was for free because a scalper couldn't sell his tickets so he gave them to me :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Last time I saw the lips it was for free because a scalper couldn't sell his tickets so he gave them to me :v:

The one time I had this happen to me, it was for Moby around 2001. Literally just giving tickets away. Haha.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

The one time I had this happen to me, it was for Moby around 2001. Literally just giving tickets away. Haha.
That's the only way you could get me to see Moby nowadays :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It looked to me like everyone was there for Crystal Method. So even Moby fans don't go to see Moby. He did a cover of "Everybody Hurts". Moby is the whitest man alive

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

It looked to me like everyone was there for Crystal Method. So even Moby fans don't go to see Moby. He did a cover of "Everybody Hurts". Moby is the whitest man alive
I'm a poor-ish white man, and after his comments about how food stamps should be regulated according to his standards, I don't even think I'd see him for free.

Crystal Method, on the other hand, who I saw in October, still own.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like I was snobby about Crystal Method back in the day just because I listened to FSOL and Aphex Twin lol

I should give them another try, when I gave Death in Vegas another try it turns out The Contino Sessions is one of the greatest albums of the 90s, and dat Iggy Pop cameo, man

This thread is now about techno

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I hate giving Wayne money nowadays but I just got tickets to see them at Taste of Chicago because the cheaper GA level was $18 a ticket (inclusive of all fees). Hope he doesn't play anything from Oxford Melody!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nail Rat posted:

I hate giving Wayne money nowadays but I just got tickets to see them at Taste of Chicago because the cheaper GA level was $18 a ticket (inclusive of all fees). Hope he doesn't play anything from Oxford Melody!
To quote Vampire Weekend, "Who gives a gently caress about an Oczy Mlody?"

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
oczy mlody is dope stop hating

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This thread is so weird - even if you hated the last 3 albums you are still allowed to like the old stuff. Some people here act like Wayne Coyne has somehow retroactivity made Clouds Taste Metallic not good

Like I don't throw away my copy of The River because Lucky Town sucks

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I still listen to Transmissions From The Satellite Heart regularly. I absolutely love that album. I can put it on and go about my day and still get really into it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hadn't listened to Hit to Death in a while and the other day I rediscovered how absolutely phenomenal the one-two punch of "Gingerale Afternoon" and "Halloween on the Barbary Coast" is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And... in the past 24 hours I've listened to "Jets Pt. 2" approximately 30 times. I've always loved that song, but I'm now pretty sure it's almost my favorite song of their entire career. I don't know why, it's such a "simple" song, but it works so well and Wayne sounds so great on it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Greatest Hits collection announced

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wow, disc 1 is so much better than the other 2 it's kind of insane.

And I had forgotten that Wayne ripped off J Spaceman by covering "Lord Can You Hear Me?" like that. Ugh.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkVGsFsPEPM

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1002354090561687552

Hey, remember The Flaming Lips?

No?

Me neither.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao oh my god

oh my literal god

i can't stop laughing

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just when I was was hoping Wayne would give up the gimmick bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I just found out about that at random and was about to post it. For gently caress's sake, Wayne, stop.