Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Someone requested a gif:

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Someone requested a gif:

I loved this, was definitely a "If you do that, it will exceed my boundaries and kill me"

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Someone please superimpose the SyFy logo over Holden's hand

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The overlay with the camera data is bugging me.

f⁄13.5, 1⁄48 seconds?

How well is this ship lit?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JossiRossi posted:

I loved this, was definitely a "If you do that, it will exceed my boundaries and kill me"

Is it wrong to be excited about the hat being back?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

etalian posted:

Is it wrong to be excited about the hat being back?

Holden's 'WHAT'S WITH THE HAT?!' was amazing.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Someone requested a gif:

sometimes its the small scenes that steal the show

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

404notfound posted:

Seconding

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

404notfound posted:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

:five:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nooooo my wasted effort

https://i.imgur.com/1G6y0PT.mp4

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reddit karma mine.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Speaking of creepy spy guy, that was the first time I had ever seen Jensen's voice actor. I was flabbergasted that voice comes from that man.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

404notfound posted:

That gifs got legs I tell ya. LEGS.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope this show's popularity grows and grows and it becomes at least as big as BSG at it's peak and someone turns all the SyFy executives into Torgo's Executive Powder.

Someone who is into twattering needs to tweet this to the entire cast.

Meh, give the guy a break and let it go. I very much disagreed with what he had to say too but he was super chill about it and that's something to be encouraged.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This one makes it look like you're censoring a penis coming into frame.

And yea, It was because the Hardcore OPA guy was all "Shoot the Roci!!!" instantly, making me think the whole plan was to blow up the UN Ship, broadcast the message and then blow up the Roci killing Holden because Dawes sees him as a threat, but on the surface it would look like the OPA was on the up and up.

I am probably wrong and it is some other 3rd (4th?) party that's interest is to sow chaos in the system.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've just rewatched the last episode and when she-hulk brings up her PDA to detonate the bomb there are two status displays. One says something like "link to detonator" and the other says "uplink to Rocinate" - they're both in the green.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Even knowing what was going to happen that last part of the episode was tense as hell. And the rest was awesome too. So glad this show got picked up.

Also I watched it on the Syfy stream, and there were like a dozen "fucks" dubbed over in increasingly ridiculous ways, so I'll be happy to get some proper swearing without having to buy the episodes.

:lol:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm assuming that the tech and camera guy are working for what's left of Mao/Protogen to both get a bit of revenge on Holden and try and drive people away from the ring.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
BUT WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RING C'MON MAN YOU CAN'T END IT THERE

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't have a problem with the character being queer -- in the abstract anyway. I've a problem with the character being so heavily abject, and the show using classic kneejerk traits -- disabled, queer -- to paint him as unlikable.

By way of comparison: If Mao Snr. had mentioned a husband instead of a wife I wouldn't be bothered. Or if the genders of the camera crew were swapped -- ponyguy became ponygirl, and viceversa -- I'd probably only be talking about how it's a shame that the show's first character with a disability was so obviously repellent. I think that's consistent with what I've been saying, I guess?

Just catching up, but I have to say if you are looking to be offended maybe you should look somewhere else.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

AwkwardKnob posted:

BUT WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RING C'MON MAN YOU CAN'T END IT THERE

They did show what happened: the missile, still burning toward the Roci, is mysteriously held in place.

In retrospect, I really appreciate the cliffhanger they went with. A lesser show would've ended with the crew hurtling toward the gate, as if there were even a remote possibility that they might get blown up by the missile or splatted like Maneo. But since we're not complete dumbasses, we moved past that part and are now faced with: what the hell is up with this side of the gate? :psyduck:

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
IS THIS SHOW GOING TO GIVE US ALIENS

I DEMAND ANSWERS

It would be actually really cool and potentially hard-sci-fi to see The Expanse's take on alien life forms who build crazy molecules and star gates. Some kind of vast intelligence that's creating Miller out of nothing hundreds of times per second to probe outcomes and bridge the gap of understanding between our two species.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Holy poo poo. Miller is my favorite character, and Jane loving killed that performance. I’d gladly watch a spin off that’s nothing but Miller telling cop stories and trying on hats.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gorn Myson posted:

Okay, this episode was great and so is the season but you all seem to be ignoring the most obvious thing.....

Is Bobbie coming back any time soon?

Bobbie is not in this book, but she was with the fleet in the last episode so presumably they're rolling her into the story somehow because it works better for TV. Avasarala also is not in the third book but again, I'm sure they'll fit her in somehow.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TTerrible posted:

I've just rewatched the last episode and when she-hulk brings up her PDA to detonate the bomb there are two status displays. One says something like "link to detonator" and the other says "uplink to Rocinate" - they're both in the green.

Good catch! I completely missed that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Bobbie is not in this book, but she was with the fleet in the last episode so presumably they're rolling her into the story somehow because it works better for TV. Avasarala also is not in the third book but again, I'm sure they'll fit her in somehow.

yeah, the books have long stretches where some characters don't show up at all, but since characters like Bobbie and Ava are such fan favorites, I can't imagine that they will leave them out for too long.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
This episode was probably the best yet. Agree about where they left the cliffhanger, what a perfect “OH GOD—wait what??” cut.

Boggles my mind that it was so close to dead and it’s getting better and better. If they keep this up it’ll be well and truly better than the books.

Raged posted:

Just catching up, but I have to say if you are looking to be offended maybe you should look somewhere else.

you really didn’t have to

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, the books have long stretches where some characters don't show up at all, but since characters like Bobbie and Ava are such fan favorites, I can't imagine that they will leave them out for too long.

Plus there's just logistics of keeping actors employed and stuff. At this point in the books there are enough main characters that the ones outside the Roci crew vanish and return quite a bit, which you can do in a book series but they'll have to change for TV, so there's no way to know how they'll play into things. Which is fine by me, they've done an excellent job with the adaptation so far. Weird how having the authors on board and actively helping seems to make the adaptation better. :v:

Though it also helps that the authors are totally okay with changing stuff. I imagine it'd be a nightmare having an author around who is insisting that the show must be exactly the same as the books!!!!!! without understanding that you just can't do that and have anything worth watching.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Speaking of creepy spy guy, that was the first time I had ever seen Jensen's voice actor. I was flabbergasted that voice comes from that man.

It's literally just his normal speaking voice, just a *liiittle* deeper than usual, too. The world is a wonderful and mysterious place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

When he got hired the director apparently asked him "why are you doing that voice?" and he just said "what voice?"

E: With him and Shoreh they should double down on the voices and get like Brian Blessed in.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Boggles my mind that it was so close to dead and it’s getting better and better. If they keep this up it’ll be well and truly better than the books.

Seriously, it’s nearing the end of its third season, just survived being cancelled and it’s this good still. Best sci-if on TV for years.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Someone who is good with computers please edit the hand to look like a pixelated dong. :v:

Milky Moor posted:

I had completely forgotten Holden never saw the hat. So not only does he have to wonder why he's seeing Miller but also why he's wearing something so ridiculous. It's such a great little detail.

e:

counterfeitsaint posted:

Meh, give the guy a break and let it go. I very much disagreed with what he had to say too but he was super chill about it and that's something to be encouraged.
I missed this and just wanted to point out that I'm not trying to be a dick and would assume/hope Ojjeorago isn't either. It's an interesting way to look at the character and his scenes even if I don't agree with it.

bloom fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 1, 2018

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Penguin in a parka
I know, I know
it's really serious

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Milky Moor posted:

"Keeps the rain off my head" (I actually cheered a little when he said that, it's one of my favorite lines of his from the first season)

Toast Museum posted:

He literally lives in a brothel during shore leave on Tycho.

ah I'd forgotten that, shoots my "Amos is volcel" theory :v:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I really hope they work Avasarala in but... as far as we know she's on Earth. That's months of travel time away and like three light-hours, even if she wanted to talk. We could get a UN reaction to things, but the intrigue plot seems to have been neatly tied up already.

I'm glad we're getting more Bobbie though. And I'm glad people are glad of that. I feel like one of the few missteps the show made was in introducing Bobbie a bit too early, so her first few episodes were just her being a dumb annoying marine and people were wondering why book readers were so excited to see such an obnoxious character. It looks like Bobbie's innate awesomeness in the following events shines through even that first impression. Or maybe that first impression helped give a real sense of progression to her character.

Either way, she's great now and it looks like we're getting more of her.

It's crazy how good the show's been. The book was pretty mediocre, but this adaptation is riveting!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So, four more episodes in the season or four more weeks until the season finale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Five more episodes.