Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I beat Detroit twice and enjoyed it and it'll probably be a goty contender for me too, depending on how the rest of the year shakes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Dont tell me David Cage did well in spite of himself and every other thing he's done.

For Detroit, Cage was the equivalent of a tv showrunner instead of being the sole writer and director. It seems to have worked out for the game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

exploded mummy posted:

or at least it'll probably be up hter ewith burnout paradise as chillout racing game

i'm enjoying how seamless moving between air/sea/ground is and how the loading is basically nil at all kind of like driver san francisco

Does it still have the dumb RPG elements?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Dont tell me David Cage did well in spite of himself and every other thing he's done.

If you’re able to turn your brain off and just roll with the lack of subtlety in some of the storylines then it’s a good time. The game is a technical marvel and the branching stuff is done extremely well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Stopped clock principle, etc. But yeah, it's leaps and bounds better than his others for sure. And I can't let a game that has such a depth of variance go unnoticed, it's actually insane how well the branching "create your own story" thing was actually followed through on. There are entire stages/scenes that so far only between 1 and 10 percent of all players have seen. It's impossible to see more than half the game in any given playthrough, and it's extremely possible to fail/gently caress things up with most of those failures giving you entirely new scenes.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kirby_JP/status/1002384514683826178

a bad boy appears

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Samuringa posted:

Does it still have the dumb RPG elements?

hard to tell exactly. it feels like some of the stuff is still there, but they refined a lot of it down to more or less "get cash buy cars"

they do have the parts stuff, but I'm not sure if its fixed bonuses vs randomized

winning races gets you followers and cash (you can also get followers by doing cool poo poo)

cash is used to buy new cars and poo poo

fans have some sort of popularity leveling going on, but you can advance your rank only once in the beta (from unknown to amateur, which happens after you finish the first event)

the popularity level does seem to unlock different classes of vehicles, like the crew 1, but this isn't nearly annoying since they diversified - there are 4 separate challenge categories, so as an amateur, you can drive a street car, offroad car, plane, and boat without bothering to level up

I did hit enough fans to have made it to the second rank in an hour of futzing around (but again, you're capped and unable to rank up), and that had drifting cars, rally cross cars, helicopters, and dirtbikes

it does look like all the vehicle classes are basically unlocked after you rank up two or three times, so the content gate is minimal.

what does scare me is that there were a few supercars locked out unless you hit Icon 300 or 600 status, and the menu does have a section reserved for Icon stuff, so that probably means theres probably some weird rear end prestige thing going on, or possibly just a long term goal

there weren't any of those radio towers from the 1st game, and I didn't seem to find any of the car part either, albeit there are stuff like photo ops and some hidden bonus stuff

but I have to say I really was impressed, since the game does let you swap between boat, plane, and car instantaneously, without loading anything.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

nachos posted:

If you’re able to turn your brain off and just roll with the lack of subtlety in some of the storylines then it’s a good time. The game is a technical marvel and the branching stuff is done extremely well.

Yeah, see, wanna buy what you're selling but heavy handed metaphors fuckin kill me

E: I'm sorry I trust nothing cage puts his name on, but I'm curious enough to maybe pick it up on sale now when I was never gonna play it. So theres that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Also the aesthetic is completely different. They got rid of the crime and gang shot in place of you and your team being a crew of autosports/aerosports/watersports enthusiasts doing various racing series and it's done a lot more livelier and more vibrant colors.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, see, wanna buy what you're selling but heavy handed metaphors fuckin kill me

Seriously, the heavy-handed stuff is wildly exaggerated by The Internet. Like yeah, it's in there, but in my first playthrough I actually didn't even see the worst of it - a lot of the more heavy-handed stuff only happens if you play into it.

And other things, like "THE ANDROIDS RIDE IN THE BACK OF THE BUS!!!!!" is exaggerated and dumb. Like yes, there is exactly one part where you, as an android, ride in the "android compartment", but in the context of the game world, it makes sense - this is in Detroit, which is where All The Robots Are Made, so it would be kind of strange if they didn't have an android compartment since pretty much literally everybody has an android they send out for errands and most humans take self-driving Taxis anyway.

The real heavy-handed stuff is more in the parent/child metaphors that are present in every storyline, but it's still not that bad.

The script being great and the actors doing a really really good job (esp Clancy Brown, Lance Henriksen, and the leads) helps loads.

Connor is my husbando :swoon:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm the watersports enthusiast.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

Seriously, the heavy-handed stuff is wildly exaggerated by The Internet. Like yeah, it's in there, but in my first playthrough I actually didn't even see the worst of it - a lot of the more heavy-handed stuff only happens if you play into it.

And other things, like "THE ANDROIDS RIDE IN THE BACK OF THE BUS!!!!!" is exaggerated and dumb. Like yes, there is exactly one part where you, as an android, ride in the "android compartment", but in the context of the game world, it makes sense - this is in Detroit, which is where All The Robots Are Made, so it would be kind of strange if they didn't have an android compartment since pretty much literally everybody has an android they send out for errands and most humans take self-driving Taxis anyway.

The real heavy-handed stuff is more in the parent/child metaphors that are present in every storyline, but it's still not that bad.

The script being great and the actors doing a really really good job (esp Clancy Brown, Lance Henriksen, and the leads) helps loads.

Connor is my husbando :swoon:

I'm so conflicted

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Does Detroit explain why anatomically correct humanoid robots are used for slave labor and not sex trafficking?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

al-azad posted:

I wish Capcom sold off Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney to Chunsoft or literally anyone else who gives a drat.

Now I wanna see ArcSys play with the SF IP.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
gently caress you precision dont make me want to play a David cage game :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like the part where the android literally and metaphorically returns from the dead and then grabs a sick duster that happens to be hanging on a piece of rebar.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

Does Detroit explain why anatomically correct humanoid robots are used for slave labor and not sex trafficking?

I don't know where you got this idea, there is an android house of prostitution you visit.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm so conflicted

Well, in my first playthrough I didn't even see that screen. That's what I'm trying to get across here, like yes, that stuff is in there, in SOME of the scenes, which any given person might not even see. Like the "literally sings a slave song" part, that's something you won't see unless you go down a very specific path.

Point is, it's easy to cherrypick a few screenshots from one storyling in a game that's 8-10 hours long, and which has an additional 8-ish hours of content you'd have to play several times to see. If the possibility of seeing a couple heavy-handed metaphors over the course of a very long game is enough to turn you off, then sure, but I have to stress that stuff is literally like 1% of the game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

I don't know where you got this idea, there is an android house of prostitution you visit.

Well, in my first playthrough I didn't even see that screen. That's what I'm trying to get across here, like yes, that stuff is in there, in SOME of the scenes, which any given person might not even see. Like the "literally sings a slave song" part, that's something you won't see unless you go down a very specific path.

Point is, it's easy to cherrypick a few screenshots from one storyling in a game that's 8-10 hours long, and which has an additional 8-ish hours of content you'd have to play several times to see. If the possibility of seeing a couple heavy-handed metaphors over the course of a very long game is enough to turn you off, then sure, but I have to stress that stuff is literally like 1% of the game.

Ok, sold. drat it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GUI posted:

To add to this they were extremely obtrusive with the development of their Western games - Bionic Commando 2009's storyline was butchered and the tone of the game was supposed to be lighter, but Capcom kept insisting Western audiences liked more serious settings which led to the finished game's constant switching of comedy/serious with very little in-between and things like the main character's design. DmC was in a similar situation with them constantly rejecting designs for being "too Japanese."

gently caress the DmC team for walking out a GDC presentation with "old dante was a fag" .

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

I haven't played the game, I just question a world where slaves are given humanoid appearance, self changing skin, and sapience when the same processes can be handled by a claw on a swivel.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

gently caress you precision dont make me want to play a David cage game :(

Don't play that dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...