Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

redreader posted:

"I lost the use of one hand entirely, and only have one finger on the other hand. SURELY I'll do better next time". What the gently caress? Is this mental illness?

I don't believe in god or any kind of sentient nature, but if ever there was a case of the universe telling someone to get a new loving hobby, this was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's a good thing that rock fell off, right? That was the big bottleneck?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PostNouveau posted:

It's a good thing that rock fell off, right? That was the big bottleneck?

Yes. Less time in the death zone is overall good, and that loving rock was one of the few true gently caress you obstacles, and it definitely wasn't reasonable to try and push several hundred climbers up and down it in a day.

As there's not a 10m boulder to funnel single retards up at 8800m, I predict were going to have quite a few less "stuck in traffic midday on summit, died in the dark on descent".

It is now the Hillary Stairs.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Reset all the "firsts"

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

No green boots cave and now no Hilary step,what's the point anymore, at least we still have the Khumbu icefall for now.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

It's now the Disney frozen Elsa ice slide and souvenir shop! At khumbu.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Quixotic1 posted:

No green boots cave and now no Hilary step,what's the point anymore, at least we still have the Khumbu icefall for now.

Climate change is working on it, don't worry

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
"Bizarre publicity stunt leaves Everest guide dead": https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12059846

Why am I not surprised this involves Bitcoins?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Bitcoin was involved? They probably murdered him.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Cojawfee posted:

Bitcoin was involved? They probably murdered him.

It's getting worse every time I read another report on it. They were "Bitcoin-like" digital "tokens", that are currently worth exactly nothing. But "may be worth $50, 000 one day".

Or, y'know, be worth jack poo poo since they're on a hard drive buried on a mountain peak that wants to kill you.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Buttcoins.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I murdered a Sherpa, and I've never felt better!

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

quote:

Charlotte Fox survived a harrowing incident on Mount Everest in 1996 and became the first American woman to climb three 8,000-meter peaks, so irony wasn’t lost on her friends when the longtime Aspen resident died last week after apparently falling on the steep steps of her house in Telluride.
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/30/mount-everest-survivor-dies-in-fall-at-colorado-home/

drat, survive climbing Everest only to later die falling down the stairs at your home.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

weg posted:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/30/mount-everest-survivor-dies-in-fall-at-colorado-home/

drat, survive climbing Everest only to later die falling down the stairs at your home.

There are no Sherpas to help you down the stairs in your house.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
She climbed two other 8k mountains, I'm pretty sure she was legit.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Wtf - falling down a four story set of stairs in your house is actually kind of insane no matter what climber you are. But yeah, making it through ‘96 to get taking out by the Colorado Stairfall is insane.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

weg posted:

John Krakauer opens his word processor and begins Into the Basement

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
looks like she wasnt protected

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Perhaps, despite the protestations of the Denver state government claiming the steps are exactly as they were, the steps had disappeared?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bobby Digital posted:

John Krakauer opens his word processor and begins Into the Basement

Can't wait to see who he blames for leaving the guy for dead.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

This thread has gotten me bitten with the wanderlust bug. Got a mini-vacation planned to hike Mt. Katahdin later this month, the first of my many future conquests before I die alone on a 8K gasping for air.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Platystemon posted:

There are no Sherpas to help you down the stairs in your house.

Solo descent, no fixed lines, no oxygen. There's only so many times you can tempt fate like that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Val Helmethead posted:

This thread has gotten me bitten with the wanderlust bug. Got a mini-vacation planned to hike Mt. Katahdin later this month, the first of my many future conquests before I die alone on a 8K gasping for air.

:rip:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Val Helmethead posted:

Katahdin has some legit scrambles. You’ll have fun. I’ve heard it’s beautiful up there. Here was my view

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are you the first double amputee with a sign for a prosthetic to reach the top of that mountain?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Katahdin has some legit scrambles. You’ll have fun. I’ve heard it’s beautiful up there. Here was my view

My friend and I want to do the AT so badly :smith:. I used to hike the portion in the Presidential Range in Gorham, NH, every year.

It's just such a gigantic undertaking and a logistical nightmare. Now I need to reread Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" again.....

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My friend and I want to do the AT so badly :smith:. I used to hike the portion in the Presidential Range in Gorham, NH, every year.

It's just such a gigantic undertaking and a logistical nightmare. Now I need to reread Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" again.....

Do it! It’s a lot easier than people make it out to be.

The “hardest” and most annoying part of the trail was figuring out how the hell youre getting to town and back for a resupply.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Why didn’t you wait for that jackass to get down off the sign before you took the picture? :downswords:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

High Lord Elbow posted:

Why didn’t you wait for that jackass to get down off the sign before you took the picture? :downswords:

The elements almost beat me. Since it was such an awful day no one was coming up and 5 months of work with no one there to take my picture at the very end was a huge letdown. I huddled behind a cairn for 45 minutes in the freezing cold and rain just hoping someone would appear out of the mist. Eventually I gave up and as I was mentally preparing myself for this huge bummer of not getting a picture at the sign another hiker came up and was able to take it. On my way down I saw no one else on their way up. I was one of 4 people to have summitted that day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did you know you can turn cameras around?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

For a boring ol close up selfie I think not!

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Ha!

I'm coming up from Katahdin Streams, so if the weather is nice it should be awesome views the whole way. 4 person total misery summit doesn't sound fun though, but it'd be a hell of a story.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Some even come equipped with timers!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You guys don't like it when you get the mountain to yourself? That's, strange...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/03/us/el-capitan-yosemite-climbers-fall.html

Jason Wells and Tim Klein fell off El Capitan this weekend.

quote:

Mr. Robinson said Mr. Wells and Mr. Klein were using a technique called simul-climbing in which both climbers are attached by a rope and move at the same time to go at a faster pace. They were doing this with a third person, a variation on an already rare technique that is “inherently riskier” than regular climbing, Mr. Robinson said.

The third person, who was not identified by the National Park Service, was on a separate rope and anchor, and not securely attached to the same system being used by Mr. Wells or Mr. Klein, according to Mr. Robinson, and was unharmed.
Could someone explain why "simul-climbing" isn't actually worse than just the two climbers not roping at all? Because if there's no goddamn anchor and you're both climbing at the same time, all this does is ensure if one of falls you both fall, like some kind of suicide pact, right? I must be missing something.

Anyway this is not comparable to deaths on Everest since these were very very experienced climbers not in the Death Zone and not exploiting Sherpas, I just didn't know of a better place to post it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Some cursory wikipedia browsing tells me that they are supposed to have an anchor though.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/03/us/el-capitan-yosemite-climbers-fall.html

Jason Wells and Tim Klein fell off El Capitan this weekend.

Could someone explain why "simul-climbing" isn't actually worse than just the two climbers not roping at all? Because if there's no goddamn anchor and you're both climbing at the same time, all this does is ensure if one of falls you both fall, like some kind of suicide pact, right?

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I’m talking about, but speculating about things of which you are ignorant on the Internet is half the fun.

I assume it is inherently more risky because the odds of one climber falling are lower than one out of two climbers falling. So if they are linked together, they are each doubling their chances of falling to a grisly demise.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
But there's an anchor. Or anchors. Lead places them, person in second place cleans. In theory, this doesn't seem any more dangerous that regular trad with someone belaying from the ground

in practice, anchors are trash and falling on them pulls them out way more than is reasonable for sane people

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
^^I should refresh a thread before posting.

Leperflesh posted:

Could someone explain why "simul-climbing" isn't actually worse than just the two climbers not roping at all? Because if there's no goddamn anchor and you're both climbing at the same time, all this does is ensure if one of falls you both fall, like some kind of suicide pact, right? I must be missing something.

Anyway this is not comparable to deaths on Everest since these were very very experienced climbers not in the Death Zone and not exploiting Sherpas, I just didn't know of a better place to post it.

The lead climber is placing gear as they go so there isn't a fixed belay but the rope is still clipped into protective gear in between both climbers. When they get to the next anchor the lead will wait for the other climber to catch up (picking up the gear as they go) and then they will either swap the gear or trade places for the next pitch.

Also there is a climbing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522567

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I did a mountaineering course in school earlier this year. Wrote a complete guide on climbing Mt. Robson here in Canada as the class project and my prof gave me 100% on it. Guess I'm ready for Everest.

JK I would honestly die.