Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

myDad posted:

It’s definitely enabled on the Ranger as she summons it at the start of every fight :shrug:

Ghost Heart Animal Companions are currently bugged and will likely be fixed in 1.1.

lurksion posted:

It's also not 25%. Actually it's better than 25% I believe.

Y'sure about that? Testing Eder with Full Plate (55%) and Armored Grace (supposedly a 25% reduction) results in 34% reduction from armor.

Edit: Here's an imgur album showing that it is very much not better than 25%:

https://imgur.com/a/FY5A7pX

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That said Poe1 is a really good game that is worth playing through again even with Poe2 out.

I'm actually running a Wizard through it right now while I wait for the balance patch for Poe2. And it's as fun as ever even though I've played the gently caress out of it. It's gonna be great a year or two from now when all the DLC/polish is done for Poe2 because the difference between Poe1 at launch and Poe1 after all the patches/expansions is huuuuge.

And Poe2 at release is a much better game than Poe1 at release was so Poe2 after all the polish/extra content is gonna be great imo.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Agent355 posted:

Is it worth replaying Pillars 1 just to make my own decisions and remember what the heck happened in the plot or is there really not that much carryover? I know I can just pick one of the predefined packs too.

The OP has a link to a plot/decision summary from PoE1 for a refresher.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kith posted:

Y'sure about that? Testing Eder with Full Plate (55%) and Armored Grace (supposedly a 25% reduction) results in 34% reduction from armor.

Edit: Here's an imgur album showing that it is very much not better than 25%:

https://imgur.com/a/FY5A7pX

is that right? wouldn't a 25% reduction of 55% yield something like 41.25%? so the 34% penalty is better than that? wouldn't that be closer to a 34% reduction of 55%

i'm not being purposely obtuse, those numbers seem like armored grace is better than intended

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ginette Reno posted:

That said Poe1 is a really good game that is worth playing through again even with Poe2 out.

I'm actually running a Wizard through it right now while I wait for the balance patch for Poe2. And it's as fun as ever even though I've played the gently caress out of it. It's gonna be great a year or two from now when all the DLC/polish is done for Poe2 because the difference between Poe1 at launch and Poe1 after all the patches/expansions is huuuuge.

And Poe2 at release is a much better game than Poe1 at release was so Poe2 after all the polish/extra content is gonna be great imo.

I'm playing through PoE1 with a no-micro team (except a priest). I brought an adventurer priest because, honestly, I don't like Durance. It's still as fun as ever!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Agent355 posted:

Is it worth replaying Pillars 1 just to make my own decisions and remember what the heck happened in the plot or is there really not that much carryover? I know I can just pick one of the predefined packs too.

Here you go, Choose your own adventure!
https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_endings

Most of these choices are in the background generator.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 1, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I finished the game and I am pretty sure I got the worst ending...

Told Eothas to help science and smash the wheel, so that part was good. Eder became an angry athiest, Xoti opened a ministry but was sane, Maia went home and tried to teach Rautai not to be colonialist dicks but also continued the half-assed romance (with less time), I apparently missed the Port Maje quest and something about some vampires?

As I couldn't find the uberhull to get through the storm and galleon+red dream apparently isn't a good enough hull, I ended up murdering Furrante for being a slaver fucklord and using the Principi to get through the storm. This turned the Deadfire Isles into a horrible pirate land that sucked where everybody got robbed, and pissed off the Vailian ducs enough to send Pellagina to her death.

Oh well, I know who I'm turning my fire magic against in the third game.

Last thought: was not expecting the Hazanui to be the final boss.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Last thought: was not expecting the Hazanui to be the final boss.

This fight is against the strongest faction that you didn't side with, and it varies based on what you do/don't do. In my RDC supportnig game, Furrante showed up for that fight, for example.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's a nice thematic thing - you're dealing with gods and weirdo monsters and immortals, but it's the people that are the important thing, all the way up to the end.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I avoided visiting The Brass Citadel because gently caress colonialists, but I'm glad I checked it out. Rauatai is an interesting culture with impressive aesthetics and technological advances who really believe they're not only doing what they need to keep their country afloat but also believe, with some evidence, that their way is the best way forward for the Deadfire and their backwards cousins.

They're so, so good guys. They're loving seductive, not just to the characters and the Hanua but also to the player. I'm honestly a bit surprised they didn't include an unnecessary and overpowered katana analog to gently caress with gamers' minds even more. I can kind of see how outright colonialism appealed to people, back in the day. BTW, does Kana's ending slide from PoE1 affect Deadfire in anyway? Like, if he's an isolationist is there a line somewhere about how not everyone in Rauatai supports the empire or something? I mean outside of personal conversations with Maia. (Who, btw, is also great. She's like an evil Commander Shepard, I love it. Seeing her makes me think about how the rest of the world must feel about America.)

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

There seems to be good and bad in every faction, where the new blood pirates are hunting down slavers for example, or the lovely Huana caste system.

I think if I do another playthrough I'm going it alone with Angry McBleakwalker, anyone know where to get the Uberhull?

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

There seems to be good and bad in every faction, where the new blood pirates are hunting down slavers for example, or the lovely Huana caste system.

I think if I do another playthrough I'm going it alone with Angry McBleakwalker, anyone know where to get the Uberhull?

Blackwood hull, at the ship supply shop in Neketaka. It's pretty expensive, like ~50,000cp iirc

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Digital Osmosis posted:

They're so, so good guys. They're loving seductive, not just to the characters and the Hanua but also to the player. I'm honestly a bit surprised they didn't include an unnecessary and overpowered katana analog to gently caress with gamers' minds even more. I can kind of see how outright colonialism appealed to people, back in the day. BTW, does Kana's ending slide from PoE1 affect Deadfire in anyway? Like, if he's an isolationist is there a line somewhere about how not everyone in Rauatai supports the empire or something? I mean outside of personal conversations with Maia. (Who, btw, is also great. She's like an evil Commander Shepard, I love it. Seeing her makes me think about how the rest of the world must feel about America.)

Kana shows up for a cameo in PoE2 with most of his endings from the first game, but I don't know how the game reacts to him being an isolationist. That said I imagine there's a lot of isolationism in Rauatai that the RDC are just ignoring because they don't have enough political pull, regardless of Kana's ending. They are after all sending most of their military equipment and personnel to distant shores as a high-risk investment.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Yeah, I can't imagine Kana would do much - one of the ending slides I got for him explicitly said that he was influential in making Rauatai's colonial efforts more collaborative and open to multiculturalism but I can't see ANY of that translating into the RDC in Deadfire. Like, that's the exact opposite of their jam.

And the Huana seem the unambiguously good faction to me, to the point where it's kind of annoying. I mean they have a caste system and caste systems suck, that's true. But it seems easy enough to get them to give a poo poo about their lower caste. I don't know that like, the warrior/ruler caste would be willing to give up their prerogatives short of open class warfare, but living comfortably at the bottom of the totem pole in a culture you feel tied to and respected by, with your homeland secure isn't the worst lot in life. Their ending slides all seem pretty loving hopeful to me. Or is there more Roparu abuse by the higher castes in the game other than the situation in the Gullet?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Digital Osmosis posted:

And the Huana seem the unambiguously good faction to me, to the point where it's kind of annoying. I mean they have a caste system and caste systems suck, that's true. But it seems easy enough to get them to give a poo poo about their lower caste. I don't know that like, the warrior/ruler caste would be willing to give up their prerogatives short of open class warfare, but living comfortably at the bottom of the totem pole in a culture you feel tied to and respected by, with your homeland secure isn't the worst lot in life. Their ending slides all seem pretty loving hopeful to me. Or is there more Roparu abuse by the higher castes in the game other than the situation in the Gullet?

Tikiwara has some bad poo poo involving the caste system, though not necessarily harming the Roparu. Definitely a couple cases where the system's rigidity is failing the people.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Don't forget that as well as starving their working class, they also broke a bargain with an ancient and intelligent being (which they only had to make in the first place because they displeased their patron deity enough to make her revoke her powers) and locked it in their cellar indefinitely. While their queen didn't know about it, she still gets extremely mad at you for freeing it.

Every faction is terrible. Go to Ukaizo alone and let the Deadfire burn. :colbert:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SirSamVimes posted:

Every faction is terrible. Go to Ukaizo alone and let the Deadfire burn. :colbert:

This is the truth. gently caress these dudes. I guess the RDC is supposed to be the least lovely but still very lovely by absolute terms, but siding with them is sort of like taking the Sneering Imperialist perk in F:NV, which is pretty refreshing because the Huana are pants-on-head retarded.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

SirSamVimes posted:

Don't forget that as well as starving their working class, they also broke a bargain with an ancient and intelligent being (which they only had to make in the first place because they displeased their patron deity enough to make her revoke her powers) and locked it in their cellar indefinitely. While their queen didn't know about it, she still gets extremely mad at you for freeing it.

They also kidnap and discuss eating lagufeath children, as all unambiguously good peoples are wont to do.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Coldforge posted:

They also kidnap and discuss eating lagufeath children, as all unambiguously good peoples are wont to do.

Put it on the pile of reasons the Huana fuckin' suck. I liked when you talk to the queen about feeding her poor, she sends you to her brother or whatever who basically says "some rear end in a top hat is trying to SMUGGLE FOOD!? TO FEED OUR POOR !? WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT!"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Coldforge posted:

I'm not sure that any of the other factions would object to that practice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well the roparu are actually more than just poor people. They are people who have no skills and don't do any work.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ah, they're 21st century western poor people

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tenzarin posted:

Well the roparu are actually more than just poor people. They are people who have no skills and don't do any work.

i thought they were only allowed to do terrible manual labor jobs because of ~*~the caste system~*~ not that they didn't do any work at all. the guy being accused of stealing in tikawara i thought was being called lazy because of his individual problems, not because all roparu are forbidden to work.

it's also possible i missed some very big exposition thing that clearly says "ROPARU CAN'T HAVE JOBS"

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

and something about some vampires?

if you go to the very very south east corner of the map there's an island that's full of them. i never encountered an actual plot that sends you there, so it seemed like one of those things where you just find it by exploring on your own. there's definitely a mini-quest there but the first combat had fampyrs in it and by the time i found it i was already up to Ondra's Mortar so i just said "gently caress this noise" and figured i'd save it for another play through

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yea I guess there's not a part where they explain a roparu went up classes.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Imo the main failings of the Huana seemed to be the result of pressures put on them by forces external to the deadfire. Colonialism and piracy (... capitalism?) seem to have greatly exacerbated the issues with their pre existing social and economic structures, which admittedly weren’t great to begin with, but did try to provide for and look after everyone in the best way they knew how.

I don’t know a lot about it, but India might be a decent real world analogue?

Economic “progress” often leads to disruption of pre existing social orders, and the pre-existing orders tend to fight back in various ways (see UK’s Speenhamland laws).

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 1, 2018

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Quick question.
I was only able to play a few hours of Pillars after release because my computer died. I've got a new one now but I was wondering if the bugs with Eder and other stuff had been fixed yet before I jumped back in?
Also I have choice paralysis over what character to actually play.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The roparu are working class, it's just that according to their system the manual labour is the least worthy role so they get the least prize-share despite being the most numerous.

Gee, I wonder who thought that up. :thunk:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Helith posted:

Quick question.
I was only able to play a few hours of Pillars after release because my computer died. I've got a new one now but I was wondering if the bugs with Eder and other stuff had been fixed yet before I jumped back in?
Also I have choice paralysis over what character to actually play.

The big importing bugs have been fixed but there's still a lot of quest progression bugs (none that dead-end a quest line entirely afaik, but a few like being given a quest you already completed) that still exist and will probably be fixed in the patch coming sometime in June.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It seems chants aren't working, at least not for multiclassed Pallegina. They're active but the little scrollbar isn't showing any songs, nothing in the combat log and her phrases don't go up. Is this a bug or do chants work differently from 1 (e.g. being interrupted by using paladin abilities)?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Roparu are explicitly the "unskilled labor" and "first to starve" caste. They work when work is available, but what they earn goes to the Mataru first and if there is any left after trickles down to the middle caste, they all have to share what's left of that piece.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

jokes posted:

This is the truth. gently caress these dudes. I guess the RDC is supposed to be the least lovely but still very lovely by absolute terms, but siding with them is sort of like taking the Sneering Imperialist perk in F:NV, which is pretty refreshing because the Huana are pants-on-head retarded.

Funny, I see the RDC as being easily the most lovely, bordering on mustache twirling at times. Not trying to argue here - I made my points about Rauatai above and I don't see real world analogies as being helpful - but I think it's interesting that we could walk away from the same writing and have completely opposed views.

I do think the Roparu are supposed to have jobs, just menial ones that don't require many skills. Like Crumbum said, if they all literally did nothing why would they be especially butthurt about the fruit thief?

And Helith - those bugs aren't totally stamped out yet, the word is most of them will be fixed in the 1.1 patch coming sometime early june. I couldn't stand the wait and so I'm playing my first game with the "everything bad" history where basically every connection to PoE1 is dead or angry with you, it's a nice way to side-step the import issues.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

roparu revolution dlc when ropekid

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Someone finally made a mod for the first game's Stronghold to collect taxes every 5 days instead of being based on quest completion.

This bothered me more than anything else in the game, even if you end the game with more money than you could ever need. Renovation build times and henchmen salaries using one unit of measurement and taxes using another was my personal hell.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98567-stronghold-turns-to-days-mod/

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The RDC is interesting in that their goals aren't all that bad but they are going through the scummiest means possible to achieve them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Clarification of an earlier post re: colonialism and genocide. Under no circumstances are they “not all that bad”

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

jokes posted:

Put it on the pile of reasons the Huana fuckin' suck. I liked when you talk to the queen about feeding her poor, she sends you to her brother or whatever who basically says "some rear end in a top hat is trying to SMUGGLE FOOD!? TO FEED OUR POOR !? WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT!"

Added to the pile of Huana bad:

Slavery is legal in Deadfire, so long as the natives aren't enslaved. Who decides what is legal? Why, the biggest native power in the Deadfire of course. Which is the Huana.
Help my people are starving! No we won't farm that is not our way.
Oh hey, these two imperial powers are riding up to my neighborhood. Maybe I should let one of them control the docks and the other build a sea fort in my capital city.

Huana leadership is too dumb to live.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I finally got around to playing White March even though I had it for a long time and I'm actually kinda impressed at the improvement between it and the base game. Although the archmage section was a huge pain in the rear end and Llengrath's swamp was borderline unfun by the time I was done.

I'll probably replay because apparently I hosed up and locked myself out of one of the endings by waiting almost to the end of act 3 to finish part 2 and getting greedy with the White Forge and I do want at least one, maybe two proper import saves for when I get the second game. I'm not even sure whether I care enough to actually have the tempering ending but having the option to see it would be nice.

I've been wondering about 2 and equipment: is there gear that compares aesthetically to the Endless Path uniques (esp. Vengiatta Rugia, Vierina's Leaves, Hand & Key and the Adra plate). I would be a bit disappointed if there isn't at least roughly as good looking stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Basic Chunnel posted:

Clarification of an earlier post re: colonialism and genocide. Under no circumstances are they “not all that bad”

I mean I'm pretty sure genocide is not on the agenda for the RDC

DuckKnight
Mar 5, 2017

Agnosticnixie posted:

I finally got around to playing White March even though I had it for a long time and I'm actually kinda impressed at the improvement between it and the base game. Although the archmage section was a huge pain in the rear end and Llengrath's swamp was borderline unfun by the time I was done.

I'll probably replay because apparently I hosed up and locked myself out of one of the endings by waiting almost to the end of act 3 to finish part 2 and getting greedy with the White Forge and I do want at least one, maybe two proper import saves for when I get the second game. I'm not even sure whether I care enough to actually have the tempering ending but having the option to see it would be nice.

I've been wondering about 2 and equipment: is there gear that compares aesthetically to the Endless Path uniques (esp. Vengiatta Rugia, Vierina's Leaves, Hand & Key and the Adra plate). I would be a bit disappointed if there isn't at least roughly as good looking stuff.

Hey, I just finished up White March as well. Overall I liked the themes, but fuuuck that ending argument. I was able to argue #2 and #3 but #1 didn't even give me a rebuttal for any of the options. It was literally "I did this" followed by "No" which seems kind of lame to not even be able to defend any of your actions, even if it leads to failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I didn't even really try to win the final argument. I don't believe that someone should be made to forget, so I just talked with the Eyeless for a bit and then let them go merge with Abydon.