Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
botl do earthsea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

this broken hill posted:

botl do earthsea

hard agree

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
the funniest thing about earthsea is that when i talk to other fans, women say tehanu was the best book and men say it was the worst. every time, no exceptions

:biotruths:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

this broken hill posted:

the funniest thing about earthsea is that when i talk to other fans, women say tehanu was the best book and men say it was the worst. every time, no exceptions

:biotruths:

I only read the first three, but of those I preferred Tombs of Atuan by far. If Tehanu continues Tenar's story then I'd easily believe it was the best of the bunch.

edit: speaking as a man

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 30, 2018

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Do any of you YA-haters also hate Robert Cormier?

I generally don't like YA very much but I make an exception for him. The Chocolate War I would argue is actually a better introduction to existentialism then The Stranger and is actually pitched so a teenager could understand it, without giving up depth.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seldom Posts posted:

I generally don't like YA very much but I make an exception for him. The Chocolate War I would argue is actually a better introduction to existentialism then The Stranger and is actually pitched so a teenager could understand it, without giving up depth.

lol

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Seldom Posts posted:

Beyond The Chocolate War is also hella good, possibly as good as the first book

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Seldom Posts posted:

lol

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clipperton posted:

Beyond The Chocolate War is also hella good, possibly as good as the first book

Yeah that's true.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, Chocolate War is good but man dont drop it up against the stranger

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
One of the things about genre insecurity is that it always leads people to try and put it into comparisons against books they are jealous of

Like, if the book is good it's good, it doesnt have to do *blank* better than a classic novel. Comparing it like that just belies your need for acceptance

Like how the guy who wrote the magicians had a big thing about how George re Martin was a better psychological writer than most so called "literary" authors

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

In summary, if you actually thought the chocolate war stands on it's own as a great novel you would just be like "its good" but since you secretly know its not as good as an adult book you played yourself by trying to compare it to the stranger

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I read the Stranger and the Chocolate War when I was a teenager and the Chocolate War explained existentialism a lot better to me . I'm not saying it's a better book, but if you were trying introduce the concept to someone, you'd be better off with the Chocolate War. Anyone who can appreciate why the Stranger is a better book than the Chocolate War doesn't need an intro to existentialism.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that Cormier writes YA and is good. So you can't dimiss all YA. Genre insecurity isn't a real thing. It's just a class marker. The books can be judged on their own merit regardless of whatever genre they're in.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One of the things about genre insecurity is that it always leads people to try and put it into comparisons against books they are jealous of

meanwhile, the lit fic thread still can't go two pages without bringing up science fiction again

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

In summary, if you actually thought the chocolate war stands on it's own as a great novel you would just be like "its good" but since you secretly know its not as good as an adult book you played yourself by trying to compare it to the stranger

Nah, you just jumped to conclusions like this because you want to demonstrate your own social standing. Class marker. If you really want to engage in talking about books, answer the question--do you like Cormier?

edit: I hosed up the quote first time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, and I am finishing up the next two reviews. One sci-fi book and a fantasy series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Does the converse of this argument also hold, because a lot of things get compared to Tolkien

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Clipperton posted:

meanwhile, the lit fic thread still can't go two pages without bringing up science fiction again

secretly reading the lit fic thread just in case they mention sci fi

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

secretly reading the lit fic thread just in case they mention sci fi

i paid :10bux: for it, why wouldn't i read it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

you made up the book called 'the chocolate war' right. these posts are all a piss take, right?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

you made up the book called 'the chocolate war' right. these posts are all a piss take, right?

I made up the book but the posts are all deadly serious.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Seldom Posts posted:

Nah, you just jumped to conclusions like this because you want to demonstrate your own social standing. Class marker. If you really want to engage in talking about books, answer the question--do you like Cormier?

edit: I hosed up the quote first time.

Yeah and I like the chocolate war but my immediate critical synopsis of isn't "even better than The Stranger"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh, and I am finishing up the next two reviews. One sci-fi book and a fantasy series.

just try not to get probated for something by then

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah and I like the chocolate war but my immediate critical synopsis of isn't "even better than The Stranger"

My "critical synopsis" was that it's a better intro to existentialism. Not that it's a better book. You're the only one who has suggested that. Do you not agree?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

YA book is easier read for children than Camus book - a shocking controversial statement in this, The Book Barn

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

just try not to get probated for something by then

no

rvm
May 6, 2013
To be fair, a lot of literary fiction these days suck so hard. It's pretentious whiny crap that will be forgotten in less then a generation. A lot of what we now call classics started as basically pulp novels. Dickens wrote his best works for people who didn't know how to read for crying out loud.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

rvm posted:

To be fair, a lot of literary fiction these days suck so hard. It's pretentious whiny crap that will be forgotten in less then a generation.

that's because the concept of 'literary fiction' has been coopted by the publishing industry into a genre where middle class people talk about their middle class problems in boring prose.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Seldom Posts posted:

you can't dimiss all YA.
I think you're tilting at a windmill.

Seldom Posts posted:

I generally don't like YA very much but I make an exception
Why do you have to "make an exception" when you already acknowledge that your distaste for the genre isn't comprehensive? And why do you assume that everyone else has made up their mind to categorically dismiss any book that was ever written for children?

"YA", as a commercially codified genre, is garbage by and large. That has nothing to do with whether or not a book written for young audiences can be good.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

YA book is easier read for children than Camus book - a shocking controversial statement in this, The Book Barn

but camus is YA

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think you're tilting at a windmill.

"YA", as a commercially codified genre, is garbage by and large.

Lol

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Why do you have to "make an exception" when you already acknowledge that your distaste for the genre isn't comprehensive?

Try putting words together in a way that makes sense.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That has nothing to do with whether or not a book written for young audiences can be good.

Yeah, dude I just said that a couple of posts up.

Seldom Posts posted:

The books can be judged on their own merit regardless of whatever genre they're in.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hes right tho

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seldom Posts posted:

The books can be judged on their own merit regardless of whatever genre they're in.

No.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I would argue the book has already been judged on its merit when its given a genre

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

what about classic young adult writer hermann hesse

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would argue the book has already been judged on its merit when its given a genre

Indeed, the marketing department at the publisher is the arbiter of merit.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Seldom Posts posted:

Indeed, the marketing department at the publisher is the arbiter of merit.

Marketing departments are a plague on the face of the earth, but while I agree that trying to pigeonhole books into neat little genres has probably done immense harm to literature, surely you need some idea of what a work is trying to do before criticising it? Otherwise, what's to stop you criticising the Chuckle Brothers for their lack of gravitas? Yeah, it'd be an accurate description, but what would be the point?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Seldom Posts posted:

You mentioned you read Cormier when you were a kid (I did as well). Do you still read his books? Do you find yourself returning to them? I can't see myself doing it. Even when I was a kid, I thought many of his books were puerile and ridiculous. Beyond the Chocolate War, for instance, saw the precocious bully and his friend from the previous book engaged in a battle of wits involving death traps and complicated murder plots. It all reads as ultra-masculine brinksmanship more than anything else. I find much of his work intended mostly to shock, and while that's enough precocious, bookish twelve year olds, I think you can do much better.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Oh boy I'm excited for more reviews!