Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Actually one thing that I've notice there being almost none of in this season, or really S4 either, is sight gags. Especially the kind where the camera cuts away from the conversation to show a piece of mocked-up media that reinforces a pun that's being made, like a newspaper clipping or a Motherboy poster or a close-up of Maeby's report card.

I mean there are occasional bits like that, but nothing like in earlier seasons. Instead you get long drawn-out scenes between two talking heads where you can go full minutes between puns or dialogue gags.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Someone said it earlier, but the directing is really off. Every conversation is just shot/reverse shot with awkward audio mixing whenever you see anyone from the back moving their mouths. It makes everything look super fake and only adds to the "are we doing green screen right now" effect.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Seriously? It only works if you pronounce DA as "dah", which nobody in real life would. Nor would they tack it on to her name like that. Who refers to their local DA as "Joe Schmoe Dah"?

It's a huge contrived reach in a way that Bob Loblaw is not.

e: Note also that Bob Loblaw works as part of a joke about him being an alternative to needless jabber, whereas I don't recall anyone trying to make any kind of pun playing off Lottie's name.

Yeah, this. It doesn't really make sense as a wordplay joke unless the characters are aware of the wordplay and are doing it on purpose to mock her, which kind of defeats the joke.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is Hurwitz still directing every episode? I haven't gathered the courage to watch S5 yet after the shitshow that was S4 but that was all directed by Hurwitz and it was probably a huge reason why it was so bland and boring. Looking at the people they had directing episodes in S1-S3 it's kind of impressive. I mean they did have Paul Feig directing a few but for each one of those there were a bunch directed by people like the Russo brothers who are now basically doing every big Marvel movie and those episodes were among the best ones in the entire original run.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

He's not credited as having directed any episodes this season so far.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Huh, I wonder if he still has a say about the look of the show then if it's lazily directed. The guy can write (on a good day) but he's no good behind a camera, that's for sure.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Hakkesshu posted:

Someone said it earlier, but the directing is really off. Every conversation is just shot/reverse shot with awkward audio mixing whenever you see anyone from the back moving their mouths.

Yeah I loving hate this. Literally every single time someone is shot from behind the audio is obviously way out - and sometimes even from the front - the example that comes to mind is George Sr laying on George Michael's bed, the audio track slipping away from his lip movements which we can still clearly see, guys!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Troy Miller is credited as directing every episode this season. He co-directed all of season 4 with Hurwitz.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t know what he’s done before but they should fire him into the sun

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Troy Miller is credited as directing every episode this season. He co-directed all of season 4 with Hurwitz.

Oh okay, that makes more sense. I do remember now seeing his name alongside Hurwitz's name. You'd think with the show's high profile (pre-scandals anyway) and Netflix's deep pockets they could've found some competent directors to handle the episodes but I guess not.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Nichael posted:

That was a classic AD joke, and I'm hoping/assuming there's more of her.

Speculation but I wonder if she’s Lindsay’s birth mother - tagged because it references something that happens mid-season.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Troy Miller has directed a ton of TV. I agree that a lot of 5 seems off, including the direction (and definitely the audio mix at times). It’s very odd.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

David Cross is absolutely terrible in this season.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

A lot is... And again, I liked season 4 a lot. This just didn't quite work.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

This is my biggest disappointment. Portia being a non-entity hurts but Buster/Michael/Gob all have amazing moments... Tobias sucks and his weird mustache friend just seems like they wanted to do Dubris Redux but then I guess they got Maria Bamford anyways so like what’s the point even? How could every one of his scenes be so week.

Also no sight gags is a huge revelation for me. Remember hair plugs and falling down the stairs?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They were like if Family Guy cutaway humor was based on clever puns and wordplay.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
This was the first time I noticed how hosed up David Cross's teeth are.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Steve2911 posted:

Tobias playing Michael is the best thing in this season.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There were no jokes or comments referencing Tobias being an albino black man was there

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's a shame because Kyle Mooney is fantastic.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Calaveron posted:

There were no jokes or comments referencing Tobias being an albino black man was there

I was disappointed when we found out Tobias had a brother but his name was Robbie. Feels like a missed opportunity after we found out that Tobias' middle name is Onyango.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LesterGroans posted:

This was the first time I noticed how hosed up David Cross's teeth are.

:same: It's like the first time you see Tom Cruise's teeth

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm six episodes in and there have been a few sight gags/physical bits that have made me laugh, but it's pretty clear that we didn't really need this season.

• George-Michael and Michael's hallway action, and subsequent realization of how dorky it actually looked
  • George-Michael and Michael sizing each other up and evaluating nearby items for weaponization
  • Tobias's offscreen falling off of furniture when somebody stands up just before the cut
  • The husk of the out-of-business 90-Minute-Tooth next door to the closet conversion place (put out of business by Hour Mouth)

I guess that's about it so far. Maeby is definitely great, and I kind of just want the show to be about her and George Michael, as they're the only characters with much juice left.
Speaking of juice, so far Buster just seems utterly wasted.

Also, for those who don't know, Lindsay's green-screen presence isn't due to her not being able to be with the rest of the cast, but rather due to her retirement from acting to pursue humanitarian goals with Ellen. Hurwitz managed to pull her back for her 45 combined seconds of very weird screentime, and they even wrote in her wearing a sheet for a scene just so they could have "her" standing with the family in wider shots.

The shot-reverse-shot and bad lipsync editing is really, really distracting, and it's even more noticeable when they compose shots just so they can use them wherever, like George Michael on the phone in the car, with the phone and hand very conspicuously covering any part of his face that would move during speech.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's bizarre that they put Lindsay at the centre of the plot when they couldn't actually use her. It's like they had to rework most of the season once they realised she was retiring and it kind of just means there's no plot.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The shot/reverse shot foreground characters' lips not matching their dialog has been a thing since season 1, but that doesn't make it any less jarring.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jesus, they actually got Ron Howard's dad to do a scene what must have been weeks before his death.

What a weird episode.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Does anyone actually like the Hollywood Variety-speak humor? The "jokes" about Brian Grazer and Ron Howard seems like an inside joke that only Mitch Hurwitz thinks is hilarious

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm sure Ron thinks they're hilarious, too

Can somebody get the stats on how much time the narrator spends speaking in each episode? I'd like to see just how much more there is now, because it feels like a whole lot

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Watched the third episode. I liked this show more when the narrator wasn't literally Ron Howard and they just slipped little jokes in here and there. Maybe it's a huge meta-joke about how the narrator was making fun of the Scandalmakers narrator for being bad, and now he's just as bad?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LinYutang posted:

Does anyone actually like the Hollywood Variety-speak humor? The "jokes" about Brian Grazer and Ron Howard seems like an inside joke that only Mitch Hurwitz thinks is hilarious

I do when it's maybe once or twice an episode. Instead of 22 minutes of it.

Again, I don't really get what happened. I respect Hurwitz a lot, and I think the cast are all really talented (even if many of them assholes), but this was a misfire. I see people saying that this is better than season 4, and I don't feel that way at all. Season 4 was different, but it was funny.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Watched the third episode. I liked this show more when the narrator wasn't literally Ron Howard and they just slipped little jokes in here and there. Maybe it's a huge meta-joke about how the narrator was making fun of the Scandalmakers narrator for being bad, and now he's just as bad?

The narrator's always been literally Ron Howard though

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Calaveron posted:

The narrator's always been literally Ron Howard though

Yes. But it wasn't always "Ron Howard." They'd make little jokes about it, but it was never straight up him being him until season 4 and I think the change in narration style is really what is making the show suffer.

edit:
I mean, was it? I always thought the little jokes were just tongue in cheek. Maybe I was giving it too much credit.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 2, 2018

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

There were jokes indicating it was literally Ron Howard as early as season one. It's not just the narration, it's a lot of things. It just feels so slow, and listless.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I am not alone in thinking this season is terrible? I'm halfway into it, I suppose 2 more hours of watching this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to see if there is a payoff.

I think having the storylines literally take place right after Season 4 was a huge mistake.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Season 4 ended in 2013, two months pass and it's now 2015.

¿¿¿¿????

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
why didn't they just have Lucille 1 running for senator

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Season 4 ended in 2013, two months pass and it's now 2015.

¿¿¿¿????
What makes it more insane is season 4's end point was actually 2012.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This show sucks now.

Season 5 is Boondocks Season 4 levels of bad.

Season 6 will basically be zombie Simpsons at this rate.

George Micheal and Maeby are the only two good people left. And even then so, Maeby's increasing fladerization is getting tiring (though to be fair this has been a thing since Season 3).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This show sucks now.

Season 5 is Boondocks Season 4 levels of bad.

Season 6 will basically be zombie Simpsons at this rate.

George Micheal and Maeby are the only two good people left. And even then so, Maeby's increasing fladerization is getting tiring (though to be fair this has been a thing since Season 3).

I still like GOB. It's just a shame that Will Arnett seems so tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Steve2911 posted:

I still like GOB. It's just a shame that Will Arnett seems so tired.

Maybe I'm misremembing the original seasons, but Gob also seems to be suffering from flanderization. It seems that ever since the latter half of season 3 he's been a walking cartoon character.

• Locked thread