Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Silver Falcon posted:

What I want to know is, is there a way to tell what food boosts what element? I remember seeing it in the 3DS version but I haven't spotted it in the Switch one yet. My light fairy learned a lightning skill and that confused me. I don't have a lightning fairy yet.

You can see what element skill a fairy is most likely to learn if you press like, Y or X or something on the food part of the My Fairy screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, damage requirements are percentage now, so heart pieces matter again. That said, if the A rank requirements are 100% or less, hearts are still useless.

It'd be nice if the game would let you know about this. Along with how many kills, or if kills even matter...

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

That's the one thing that Fire Emblem Warriors has over this honestly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I am FAIRLY certain that you need 1600 kills if it's a mission lvl. 5 and above or if it's a weapon upgrade mission
FAIRLY sure
Might be talking out my rear end though

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Senerio posted:

That's the one thing that Fire Emblem Warriors has over this honestly.

Yeah, if nothing else it made me know that I should retry cause I'm not gonna get an A rank. Here I need to debate if I should restart, or if I do need to go out and kill 1,600 enemies before finishing the boss.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yeah I don't know why the game doesn't just tell you what the requirements for A rank are. Like... why? Knowing what they are doesn't make it any easier to do them, just saves you a bit of time if you whiff it and know you're not getting A rank so you might as well restart.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

So far I've been able to get A ranks with damage around 120 but not much higher, but I don't know if that holds in harder maps.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Is there anything more infuriating/soul-crushing in this game than shooting for an A-Rank and finding out that you missed it by like 6 seconds? Because that's happened to me twice now on like two different maps (both maps for unlocking level 1 weapons, no less).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's something funny about Folt being adamant that Shiek is bad (or at the very least drops off) then you go on youtube and the guy who mains hyrule warriors and has created guides for every installment/walkthroughs for literally everything goes "Nah Shiek is actually the best in the entire game outside Master Sword (unlocked) Link"

Fun reasoning behind his picks and I can't exactly disagree with most of it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah strictest A ranks seem to be

15 minutes
1600 Kills
120% Damage

Which is way more lenient than WiiU/3DS on Damage and harder on KOs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's something funny about Folt being adamant that Shiek is bad (or at the very least drops off) then you go on youtube and the guy who mains hyrule warriors and has created guides for every installment/walkthroughs for literally everything goes "Nah Shiek is actually the best in the entire game outside Master Sword (unlocked) Link"

the crazy YouTube walkthrough man is correct

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like lists that say who the worst is because it's almost always the same characters and unison is wonderful.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like lists that say who the worst is because it's almost always the same characters and unison is wonderful.

Agitha?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hi it's me, I main Sheik. I didn't watch the guy's video but I agree Shiek owns bones and is the best.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gamesbrained is the ur-channel for hyrule warriors, really.

He got so stupidly into the first that he started doing detailed guides for everything. and now he is updating his guides for every weapon in the game with the switch release.

The stuff on his channel looked so cool it got me to buy the 3ds version.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

earlier in the thread people were saying you can make quizzes easier by keeping the camera off the wrong answer, but it hasn't worked for me when I've tried it. zelda keeps running up and stabbing my rear end

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Is Skull Kid's laser eyes attack straight up the best attack in the game

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

Is Skull Kid's laser eyes attack straight up the best attack in the game

Yeah, pretty much.

Rotating the control stick in the same direction as the laser moves makes a nice arc attack into an amazing mook killer.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Oyster posted:

Folt can respond with a huge in depth analysis but the basics are:

You are indeed correct: Weapon Base power increases by 10% for every star yes, up to a maximum of 50% of the weapon's base power at 5 stars.

Skills that increase the damage output generally do not show it as you said, usually by around 10%. That they do not show it is a good thing: Battle scenarios in this game has a damage cap that your weapon's base power is affected by, and these skills apply their damage boost after the damage cap has been applied (if needed), making them the only way to boost damage output on any kind of map.

General Skills

5000 KO Skills: There's only one such skill; Heart Power, and it is mandatory on every ultimate weapon build because it boosts damage all around with no downsides other than needing to increase your health pool. It can be unlocked relatively early if you're dilligent at Skulltula killing.

3000 KO Skills: No Healing is the general best and most versatile of the bunch, of which the limit is only one such skill per weapon. Defenseless is the second best though you lose your best option against giant bosses and certain characters if you pick it. Compatriot offers a solid increase, but is very situational. The rest is pretty much garbage. These are also unlocked relatively early if you're dilligent at Skulltula killing.

ATK Skills: Strong Attack+, Strong II+, Strong IV+, etc. most weapons will want any leftover slots fill up with these when your 4000 KO slots, Heart Power, and the 3000 KO skill slot is decided upon. The more technical you play, the more of these you will want, and they should be used to boost your most used C#s.

2000 KO Skills: The best of the situational skills. Vs. Dragon is the best general pick, but you should pick a Vs. Skill that best covers your weakness against certain enemies that you have problems with, and as many of them as you can possibly get with just one Vs. Skill, because the limit is only one.

Elemental Skills: Honestly they are all very situational. Darkness+ and Fire+ are the most useful of the bunch and work for certain character builds. Light+ is.. kinda just there, and you should never take Water+ or Lightning+, ever. They are so not worth the slot.

1000 KO Skills: Used for niché builds. Arrows+ is generally the most useful skill of this bunch because Powered-Up Bow is pretty good, though Bombs+ can work in certain builds in an even more niché manner.

Legendary: Mandatory on Rank 1 and Rank 2 weapons that you like the look of. It's pretty useless for Rank 4/4+ weapons since this skill, unlike other damage increasing skills, increases a weapon's damage output by altering it's base power, and remember what I said above about base power being subject to the damage cap? Yeah. On top of that, because the other skills are percentage based, the boost this skill gives to a Rank 4/4+ weapon is laughably small due to the already high base power of these weapons. This skill cannot be unlocked for weapons until the Master Sword is completely unsealed.

4000 KO Skills

Unlike the 3000 and 5000 KO skills, these unlock at 90 Skulltulas which will take some time. You can take two of these, and you really, really want to: Finishing Blow+ is pretty much mandatory on every character because WPSes account for a good amount of your damage output. Hasty Attacks is also beneficial for the majority, with a couple outliers who either must learn new combos to keep their damage output, or doesn't benefit at all:

Hylian Sword!Link: Can actually take down the WPGs of giant bosses without using a Special. Unfortunately, one of his combos do not work well with Hasty Attacks, and his Special is pretty bad so the consensus is to take Regular Attack+ and use his Special for Giant Bosses and to get out of jams if he needs to.

Naginata!Impa: I've heard this messes up her combos. Frankly, I do not see why, but I do think that she actually benefits very little, if at all from Hasty Attacks. Take Special Attack+ if you're not taking Hasty Attacks.

Sheik: One of the characters who must learn a new set of combos to benefit from Hasty Attacks because the skill destroys her old combos. Honestly, I don't really see the point: Sheik benefits very little from Hasty Attacks as-is, so if you agree, take Special Attack+ so you can turn her Special into an actually decent damage dealer. You could also try Heartstrong because of her shield, but please keep in mind that Sheik is not very safe if she does not have the Shield up, and postgame enemies do quite a bit of damage with even their weakest hits

Book of Sorcery!Lana: Another character who should learn new combos in order to benefit from Hasty Attacks since her old combo gets ruined by it. Not as debilitating as Sheik, but she also doesn't benefit too much from it since she can already do what she wants to do with her normal attack speed. Invest in Special Attack+ if you don't take HA since Lana's special is actually pretty goddamn good.

Trident!Ganondorf: Giving him Hasty Attacks let's him empty the WPGs of more Giant Bosses than only King Dodongo and Argorok (and the timing is pretty tight on King Dodongo). However, the Trident is perhaps the weapon whose combos, and thus damage output, gets utterly ruined by Hasty Attacks because the knockback eventually gets so high that enemies get flung across the stage. Take Regular Attack+ instead: Ganondorf's attack string has a projectile at the end.

Volga: Hasty Attacks somewhat debilitates his combo game, but to nowhere near the extent of the Trident. Still, Volga does not benefit a whole lot from it since what he wants to do is already easily accomplished with his normal attack speed. Invest in Regular Attack+ if you don't take Hasty Attacks for him.

Young Link: Do not take Hasty Attacks with Young Link, not because he doesn't benefit from it, but because Hasty Attacks doesn't stack with Focus Spirit, and Young Link wants to be in Focus Spirit for the majority of the battle (and this is basically achievable in almost every battle). Focus Spirit+ is the replacement skill for obvious reasons.

Sand Wand!Toon Link: Hasty Attacks also debilitates his combo game. I don't think it's as debilitating as many of the above examples, but it's something to keep in mind. Take Regular Attack+ if you don't take Hasty Attacks in any case.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yes, she drops off, she's not in the top 10 best characters, but she's still good enough to comfortably keep herself on the high end of good characters.

I mostly disagree with a good amount of the placements on his Top 10 list, mostly because I think his guides (even now) are somewhat outdated in terms of peak player skill. About the only one I agree with is Ghirahim, who we've pretty much placed in the same spot for pretty much the same reasons.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What do you mean when you say a character must "learn new combos"? Do you mean that they attack so fast the window of pulling off certain specials becomes inconsistent or something?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel like there should be a tier list for the players who have disassembled the combat systems entirely, and then a second tier list for the players who, like me, are kinda lovely at it.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FPzero posted:

What do you mean when you say a character must "learn new combos"? Do you mean that they attack so fast the window of pulling off certain specials becomes inconsistent or something?

Yeah, when fighting enemy generals, the goal is to stunlock them with certain combo strings. Hasty attacks makes some characters strike so fast that they build up huge amounts of knockback, flinging enemies out of once good high damage combos.

Its still fun as hell to put it on those characters if you are not a exalted master of hyrule warriors. The characters strike so fast with hasty attacks that ones who move a lot with their combos feel like they fling themselves across the map.

Its fun playing as Fi with a optimized 4+ 8 slot weapon. You just dance through and around everything at mach speed, shredding and dodging everything.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I am FAIRLY certain that you need 1600 kills if it's a mission lvl. 5 and above or if it's a weapon upgrade mission
FAIRLY sure
Might be talking out my rear end though

I had thought it was 1200 but then that got me a B on Ganondorf's festival of cuccoos.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like how they always have people saying "Just remember that this is just for fun and all the characters are equally capable." I guess that's true in the sense that me and Lebron James are equally capable basketball players since we can both get the ball through the hoop.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Got this with birthday money. Had the Wii U one, but not Legends (though a kind soul on these forums offered up their code so I got Wind Waker characters on Wii U).

Game still owns. Definitely looks a bit...crisper? I usually can't notice marginal graphical upgrades but there is a difference. Only up to the path split on Legends mode, enjoyed the first Linkle level too, good to have her in a game that gives context!

Re: all characters being capable...I mean they are? I quite like Fi. I'd sooner use her than Impa's big sword. Then again I also like Corrin in FE and I've always been into Mr Game & Watch in Smash so I recognize I might have a weird thing for poo poo playstyles

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sudden Javelin posted:

Got this with birthday money. Had the Wii U one, but not Legends (though a kind soul on these forums offered up their code so I got Wind Waker characters on Wii U).

Game still owns. Definitely looks a bit...crisper? I usually can't notice marginal graphical upgrades but there is a difference. Only up to the path split on Legends mode, enjoyed the first Linkle level too, good to have her in a game that gives context!

Re: all characters being capable...I mean they are? I quite like Fi. I'd sooner use her than Impa's big sword. Then again I also like Corrin in FE and I've always been into Mr Game & Watch in Smash so I recognize I might have a weird thing for poo poo playstyles

Fi suuuucks. Not unplayably so or anything, though. I think the biggest graphical upgrade is the solid 60 FPS if you're playing on a TV. It's very noticeable imo.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

FPzero posted:

Continuously attacking enemies in this game tends to scale the knockback that your attacks does. It varies with each attack, but after some time, if you're not careful enough, the knockback scales to the point where enemies are eventually knocked clean out of your combo and sent way, way far. And you can't not let up on attacking them for a while since a decent part of the enemies also have super frames or recover in the air. Hasty Attacks occasionally hastens this for some characters, enough that their tried and true combos will not work because the knockback becomes too much before they're done comboing.

For others, like Lana (and Hylian Sword!Link), certain attacks simply doesn't connect well when you're using Hasty Attacks, ruining your damage output with your combos. Lana can work around this with a new combo devised for Hasty Attacks players, but Link can't.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

b_d posted:

earlier in the thread people were saying you can make quizzes easier by keeping the camera off the wrong answer, but it hasn't worked for me when I've tried it. zelda keeps running up and stabbing my rear end

Yeah, I found that that tip only works when the wrong answer is a non-playable enemy. Playable characters have absolutely no qualms about attacking from off screen and in fact love to time their attacks to deny you hitting the other character’s weak point

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wizzro is still worst girl due to his instant, multi hit AOE attacks but Agitha is a close second. Why does her charge 3 attack have invincibility frames that last so long? Did a Midna quiz map where 2 of the answers was Agitha and I had to sit there and let the second warrior beat on me every time she summoned that giant beetle.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This game is cool and good. I'm somewhat of a rookie so I have a question: Is there any reason to use anything but the Master Sword when you get it while playing as Link? It eclipses every other weapon he has. I assume he'll get stronger ones in the future but that seems a ways off.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

If you like the playstyle of another weapon better, really. You don't NEED the most powerful weapon in the game but it might help for certain characters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SettingSun posted:

This game is cool and good. I'm somewhat of a rookie so I have a question: Is there any reason to use anything but the Master Sword when you get it while playing as Link? It eclipses every other weapon he has. I assume he'll get stronger ones in the future but that seems a ways off.

link's gloves are a) better, and b) hilarious

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm working towards the gloves; I still have some adventure maps to clear. It's good to hear that the weapon quality isn't paramount to whichever weapon is the coolest. I like how the Hylian Swords look so I like to use those.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A rank 3 Hylian Sword will also outclass the Master Sword until you unlock it's full potential. (Which I think requires unlocking every weapon & weapon upgrade)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

The level 3/4/4+ Gloves are Links best weapon because they're the coolest.

The swords are good though.

The best weapon in the game is the Dominion Rod though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Link generally massively outlevels everybody else so he’s overpowered with anything.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like that the Master Sword is so overpowered. It's a boring weapon and I usually use other stuff, but if I struggle with the cooler weapons then it's nice to be able to just pull out the I.W.I.N. stick and get it over with :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every game should have a stupidly overpowered option. I believe this with all my heart.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I love Link's Master Sword cause its like, no gimmicks, no flashy moves, he's just a hard rear end mother fucker that is going to wreck poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Leal posted:

I love Link's Master Sword cause its like, no gimmicks, no flashy moves, he's just a hard rear end mother fucker that is going to wreck poo poo.

Sword beams with full health