Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
two days since release and the newest Apple security update details still aren’t available :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Probably some embargoed thing from a common library vulnerability and they're waiting for partners to get with it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Maximum Leader posted:

I remember when all steam games could be unlocked client side

There are still third-party programs that pretend to idle you inside your games in order to get the Steam trading cards to drop. Valve doesn't care.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
reminder that password managers don't protect you when your entire device gets owned
https://twitter.com/Magoo/status/1002220961939128320

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pr0zac posted:

reminder that password managers don't protect you when your entire device gets owned
https://twitter.com/Magoo/status/1002220961939128320
plus because it's a buttcoin there's a good chance it was an inside job

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“magoo”? fake news

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It was raining when I woke up, same as yesterday, same as the day before that. Since they finished enclosing the "downtown" District in Seoul there was a constant rain of dirty water from the exec floors above, if I thought they had a sense of humour I'd think this was the trickle down effect they were always talking about.

I heaved myself out of the cheap pod I'd slept in and walked down the corridor to the communal bathroom to wash off another night's discount kimchi stink, when I got there the shower was busted, cryptolockered for the fourth time this month. loving Russians, since Putin got uploaded to the Internet they've been worse than ever.

Looking over at the mirror to see whether I could pass for employable a red light started flashing right in the middle, blocking my view; "time to update your antivirus!". I hate the loving future.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
rename thread to security fanfic megathread imo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

gently caress yea, cyber-punk dystopia!

:cry:

i just realized it's literally the exact thing paul is smashing in that "nerds are terrible" comic

the comic right before this established it's a dumb mirror-computer in his bathroom that cost $20k iirc

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wasn't the author drawer of that comic incredibly, insanely mentally hosed in the head

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

why is that ringing a very vague bell? wasn't there a denial of service attack back in the nineties that worked the same way?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wasn't the author drawer of that comic incredibly, insanely mentally hosed in the head

don't sign, yadda yadda...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This would loving terrify me if there were actually significant numbers of Teslas sold.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05/how-a-software-brake-upgrade-won-tesla-a-consumer-reports-endorsement/

Setting aside that the braking was *wildly* inconsistent before, apparently Tesla will accept OTA updates for vital safety features like braking profiles. Not only that, but mere *days* passed from Consumer Reports saying brakes bad to the update being beamed out. I’m sure the update underwent rigorous testing.

But the OTA firmware updates are scary. Because like everything else in those death-mobiles, I’m sure many corners were cut to make deadlines and budgets.

gently caress’s sake.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i wouldn't say she's "insanely mentally hosed in the head," she's just got a whole lotta depression, plus she's trans and only figured that bit out after having a pretty public mental breakdown

she's doing better last i heard at least :unsmith:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a comic strip author......is weird????? :wth:

p.s. i dont know anything about that strip except it has the couple of nerd-eviscerating ones that get recycled every once in a while

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

OTA connections to cars are going to be comedy gold for years to come I think

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raere posted:

OTA connections to cars are going to be comedy gold for years to come I think

they'll be hilarious right up to the point at which a school bus gets owned and driven over a bunch of kids at a bus stop. then they'll knock that poo poo off forever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol ticketfly:

quote:

Following a series of recent issues with Ticketfly properties, we've determined that Ticketfly has been the target of a cyber incident. Out of an abundance of caution, we have taken all Ticketfly systems temporarily offline as we continue to look into the issue. We are working to bring our systems back online as soon as possible. Please check back later.

For information on specific events please check the social media accounts of the presenting venues/promoters to learn more about availability/status of upcoming shows. In many cases, shows are still happening and tickets may be available at the door.

Thank you.

not sure what happened there, exactly.

edit: they have a somewhat uninformative faq up

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 1, 2018

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
has there been any uptick of security incident notifications yet? i saw some people predicting a surge of companies coming forward due to the 72 hours notice part of GDPR. or do they only need to notify the authorities and not the public?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Getright downlo posted:

has there been any uptick of security incident notifications yet? i saw some people predicting a surge of companies coming forward due to the 72 hours notice part of GDPR. or do they only need to notify the authorities and not the public?

that implies that companies actually know they’ve been owned

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Midjack posted:

they'll be hilarious right up to the point at which a school bus gets owned and driven over a bunch of kids at a bus stop. then they'll knock that poo poo off forever.

im sure the former will happen but the latter definitely wont lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Midjack posted:

:laffo:

Right. Like all the gun control that happened after a classroom of first graders was literally machine-gunned?

E: White first-graders, even.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

what's the dev equivalent of thoughts and prayers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

efb but if the kids aren’t white nothing will happen and it will likely actually get weaponized by the government

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

flakeloaf posted:

#FIXME

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

flakeloaf posted:

marked wontfix

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pollyanna posted:

efb but if the kids aren’t white nothing will happen and it will likely actually get weaponized by the government

very concerned about this direction given the last time there was mass production of uber tanks

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
all car crash victims will get one year free of credit monitoring

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

flakeloaf posted:

We are aware of an issue affecting a small number of users related to credentials.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

//second header file by jamesm DO NOT UNLINK

#ifndef header2 /* Include guard */
#define header2

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

flakeloaf posted:

//second header file by jamesm DO NOT UNLINK

#ifndef header2 /* Include guard */
#define header2

James, no!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

must be from a different vendor

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flakeloaf posted:

A low priority bug added to the icebox

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
protonVPN finally released a Mac app and it comes with a seven day highest tier VPN trial for those who need that sort of thing. it may or may not be an electron app

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
let’s play the game of Infosec Troll or Undiagnosed Mental Issues
https://twitter.com/dragosr/status/1001114342958317568

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jimmy Carter posted:

gonna go with #2 https://twitter.com/dragosr/status/1002083600794206208

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol thats the badbios guy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
man the nsa agent intentionally bugging this guy must be having the time of their life right now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

power over ethernet is a communist plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Suspicious Dish posted:

man the nsa agent intentionally bugging this guy must be having the time of their life right now

And they are not even spying on him anymore, they just do it for fun now.

• Locked thread