Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Bring back Dragons Dogma!

Dragon's Dogma could really benefit from a true HD current gen game and a story/world that isn't so boring I want to shoot my brains out. The combat gameplay of Dragon's Dogma is unmatched and beyond excellent but my god everything else in that game is the biggest slog. Would love for Capcom to farm out some of those ideas to Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

Dragon's Dogma could really benefit from a true HD current gen game and a story/world that isn't so boring I want to shoot my brains out. The combat gameplay of Dragon's Dogma is unmatched and beyond excellent but my god everything else in that game is the biggest slog. Would love for Capcom to farm out some of those ideas to Platinum.

Re release the old game but make trees transparent when grappling monsters. Goty.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Capcom isnt gonna give platnum work that would require admitting capcom misses them unless im forgetting any collaborations

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

Capcom isnt gonna give platnum work that would require admitting capcom misses them unless im forgetting any collaborations
You're not, Platinum hasn't worked with Capcom.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DLC Inc posted:

The story is good because it alludes to the climax in 1990s style JRPGs where you have to talk to everyone and then it goes balls out buck wild that nothing until God of War ‘18 tried to challenge.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

So should I be hopeful about Cyberpunk 2077?

I'm going to guess we'll see stuff next year and it'll get a late 2019 / 2020 release.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rumors are xbox show will have gameplay

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I'm going to guess we'll see stuff next year and it'll get a late 2019 / 2020 release.

They've confirmed they'll be at E3 this year.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

hosed up if true.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Bullshit, I own one and no longer believe “games” as you call them exist or are possible

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Going to be sad if Cyberpunk 2077 isn't shown. Won't be grumpy at CD Projekt, just sad.

Maybe the Xbox show will be run by volunteers since they replaced their support staff with unpaid volunteers.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/270234-microsoft-replaces-xbox-support-reps-with-unpaid-volunteers

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not exactly E3 news but kind of, here’s the two video clips included in the month’s update for bloodstained: ritual of the night, a game that has been in development since 2015, already delayed once, and purportedly will release before the end of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsCOS5Wves

https://youtu.be/1e0wi0rxico

amazing, keep up the great work fellas. every minute is on display

edit: don’t know why the second one won’t embed probably due to phoneposting

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 2, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raged posted:

Going to be sad if Cyberpunk 2077 isn't shown. Won't be grumpy at CD Projekt, just sad.

Maybe the Xbox show will be run by volunteers since they replaced their support staff with unpaid volunteers.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/270234-microsoft-replaces-xbox-support-reps-with-unpaid-volunteers

Uhh excuse me those volunteers were paid in kind with free training from the fired staff AND microsoft points so its all cool *closes edge window furiously*

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Accordion Man posted:

You're not, Platinum hasn't worked with Capcom.

Platinum is made up of the remnants of Clover, which was a Capcom studio

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Raged posted:

CD Projekt is bringing something to E3 but hasn't named it. It's probably Cyberpunk.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CharlestonJew posted:

Platinum is made up of the remnants of Clover, which was a Capcom studio
I know, but once they became Platinum they haven't worked with Capcom again.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
If Death Stranding doesnt end up being The Holy Mountain of video games then I'm gonna be disappointed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Raged posted:

Hahaha microsoft

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bloodstained got us that 2D version that is really good so that's all that matters

I watched Nintendo and Sony's E3 from 10 years ago today

NINTENDO

This is the infamous one, the worst Nintendo conference in E3 history, and it's impressive how bad it is. Here are the games shown at the conference, in full and in order:

- Shaun White Snowboarding
- Animal Crossing City Folk
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Raving Rabbids TV Party
- Call of Duty: World at War
- SPORE Creatures
- Wii Sports Resort
- Wii Music

That's all you get. There is, I poo poo you not, 22 minutes of nearly-uninterrupted talking from Iwata and Reggie about Nintendo's sales performance and philosophy. Having been about a year and a half since the Wii's launch in North America, it's clear that their intent going into the presentation was "People like Wii because of Wii Sports, so let's focus only on games like that".

The big announcement of Nintendo's E3 was: The Wii Motion Plus attachment. And they "demonstrate" it with Sports Resort, except that the demonstrations involve activities that largely could have been done with the regular remote. In no way do they show the "enhanced precision" of the motionplus, as actions like swinging and steering are in regular Wiimote games like, say, the original Wii Sports, and Mario Kart Wii.

Wii Music was their One More Thing, and like NintendoLand in 2012, Nintendo thought that Wii Music was going to be the game of the show. They spend about 12-13 minutes on it to close out the presentation. Obviously, everyone remembers Ravi Drums and the horrible performance of Mario 1-1. I'm not sure if people remember that THIS WAS THE BIG REVEAL Nintendo thought was going to be a megaton.

I should also mention that this was Cammy Dunaway's first E3 with Nintendo, where she talked about being a Busy Mom and hurting her wrist skiing which she then references 15 times over the next hour.

There's no Mario, no Zelda, no Metroid, no Donkey Kong, no Smash Bros, no Fire Emblem. Only brief mentions of Pokemon (and not even mainline titles but Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Ranger). Just something to keep in mind when you prepare your "this is the most disappointing Nintendo conference ever" post for the 14th

SONY

A condensed list of Sony's presentation:

- Resistance 2
- LittleBigPlanet
- PS2 sizzle reel
- Ratchet & Clank: The Quest for Booty
- PSN sizzle reel (Crash Commando(?), Fat Princess, Flower, Pixeljunk Eden, PAIN, Ragdoll Kung-fu I'm not joking I'm serious, Siren)
- Gran Tourismo TV, a "content network" with shows like Top Gear
- PLAYSTATION HOME!!!
- Movies & TV on Playstation Store
- Resistance: Retribution (PSP)
- PSP sizzle reel (games like Locoroco and Patapon that are dead franchises at this point :( )
- DC Universe Online
- PS3 sizzle reel
- God of War 3 teaser trailer
- Infamous
- MAG

The only hardware announcement is an 80GB PS3 for $400 (boy times have changed)

DC Universe Online is announced in 2008... it doesn't launch until 2011. It looks ugly as gently caress.

This might have been Jack Tretton's first E3, he's extremely nervous and sweaty and has three bottles of water prepared for him on a table. He reads the teleprompter with all the genuineness of a hostage with a blindfold. God of War's teaser is just Kratos on a building and that's it.

Playstation Home brags about having special areas based on Uncharted and Resistance, there's footage of avatars jumping up and down and bowling. They wanted this to be as popular as Second Life, but it didn't even reach... first life!!!!!!

During the movies & TV demonstration they go to rent Dewey Cox from the store and there's only an SD rental available.

I'm sure there's a person out there who fondly loves MAG but this was not a very good game to end a conference on. They talk about how it will have 256 player battles, but don't have a live gameplay demonstration. The trailer looks boring and grey as gently caress. Also this was the era of everything looking boring and grey as gently caress -- Resistance 2 being the biggest offender. Apparently MAG lasted until 2014 before the servers shut down, so I guess it had some success, but most multiplayer games die off quickly when they have 8 v 8 battles, I dunno how you could possibly find a 256 player battle even on the first day of launch.

Of the two, obviously Sony's was better, but both were pretty dull and full of a lot of talking. This is JUST BEFORE the era when E3 conferences went loving buckwild (2009 would be Ubisoft w/ Joel McHale and Laser Tag, 2010 was Konami with luchadors and Mr Caffeine), so there was a lot more "E3 is for investors" stuff and talking sales and charts and graphs.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 2, 2018

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

not exactly E3 news but kind of, here’s the two video clips included in the month’s update for bloodstained: ritual of the night, a game that has been in development since 2015, already delayed once, and purportedly will release before the end of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsCOS5Wves

https://youtu.be/1e0wi0rxico

amazing, keep up the great work fellas. every minute is on display

edit: don’t know why the second one won’t embed probably due to phoneposting

idk i'm trying to be cynical but this looks fine to me?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The prequel backer reward is gonna end up the better game imo

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I should also mention that this was Cammy Dunaway's first E3 with Nintendo, where she talked about being a Busy Mom and hurting her wrist skiing which she then references 15 times over the next hour.

I think it's a time everyone would like to forget, Cammie included.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

maybe it doesn't seem that bad in a vacuum but this is the stuff they're picking to show us for a game that's theoretically hitting full release within six months, and has been being worked on for the past 3 years. a special effect for highlighting walls, and a spell effect you can aim.

even more disheartening, this is literally the most gameplay i've seen in an update from them since the demo they put on steam two years ago

edit: don't worry though because a new demo will be dropping at the end of this month. however, the spells shown in the preceding two clips will not be included in this new demo. because, I guess they're hard to implement, or something.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 2, 2018

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

it might be fun but the aesthetics are awfully ehhh

like the stuff in the environments dont seem to fit together and the colors are ugly as heck

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 2, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i also sincerely hope i'm wrong and the game drops and turns out great and i have to eat my words here. it's just that aside from the demo 2 years ago there seems to be and little and less to see how the game has been shaping up that a couple of 10 second clips of basic animations doesn't really help

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They've posted dozens of videos in the last two years and had showings of gameplay at various cons and poo poo, you've not been watching the kickstarter updates very hard if those are the only two gameplay videos you've seen in two years.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Orv posted:

The most disappointing thing about modern E3 (what a thought) is that everyone, even Ubisoft, has moved away from entertaining train wrecks of presentations into carefully scripted, neutrally dull stage shows of "Here is game, here why game." Occasionally you still get things like hoopzgod but it's few and far between.

E3 is awful, but it's still the most wonderful time of the year. I have absolutely zero ability to concentrate on anything in life besides videogames between May 15 and June 15.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Getting vibes of Condemned with how the Melee is working with a bit of Fallout and Bioshock.

Looks good how the hell is this the first stuff I've seen of this

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zas posted:

it might be fun but the aesthetics are awfully ehhh

like the stuff in the environments dont seem to fit together and the colors are ugly as heck

It reminds me a lot of Abyss Odyssey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GPPu5vHQnA

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

VoLaTiLe posted:

Getting vibes of Condemned with how the Melee is working with a bit of Fallout and Bioshock.

Looks good how the hell is this the first stuff I've seen of this

This game is incredibly mysterious. That trailer was the first ANYONE had heard of it, the company that's making it seemingly popped up out of nowhere and has all of one other game to their name (a VR game that seems to be a prequel to Atomic Heart) and generally speaking no one knows anything about anything related to it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Infinity Gaia posted:

This game is incredibly mysterious. That trailer was the first ANYONE had heard of it, the company that's making it seemingly popped up out of nowhere and has all of one other game to their name (a VR game that seems to be a prequel to Atomic Heart) and generally speaking no one knows anything about anything related to it.

Im ready to get scammed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quest For Glory II posted:

Bloodstained got us that 2D version that is really good so that's all that matters

I watched Nintendo and Sony's E3 from 10 years ago today

NINTENDO

This is the infamous one, the worst Nintendo conference in E3 history, and it's impressive how bad it is. Here are the games shown at the conference, in full and in order:

- Shaun White Snowboarding
- Animal Crossing City Folk
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Raving Rabbids TV Party
- Call of Duty: World at War
- SPORE Creatures
- Wii Sports Resort
- Wii Music

That's all you get. There is, I poo poo you not, 22 minutes of nearly-uninterrupted talking from Iwata and Reggie about Nintendo's sales performance and philosophy. Having been about a year and a half since the Wii's launch in North America, it's clear that their intent going into the presentation was "People like Wii because of Wii Sports, so let's focus only on games like that".

The big announcement of Nintendo's E3 was: The Wii Motion Plus attachment. And they "demonstrate" it with Sports Resort, except that the demonstrations involve activities that largely could have been done with the regular remote. In no way do they show the "enhanced precision" of the motionplus, as actions like swinging and steering are in regular Wiimote games like, say, the original Wii Sports, and Mario Kart Wii.

Wii Music was their One More Thing, and like NintendoLand in 2012, Nintendo thought that Wii Music was going to be the game of the show. They spend about 12-13 minutes on it to close out the presentation. Obviously, everyone remembers Ravi Drums and the horrible performance of Mario 1-1. I'm not sure if people remember that THIS WAS THE BIG REVEAL Nintendo thought was going to be a megaton.

There's no Mario, no Zelda, no Metroid, no Donkey Kong, no Smash Bros, no Fire Emblem. Only brief mentions of Pokemon (and not even mainline titles but Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Ranger). Just something to keep in mind when you prepare your "this is the most disappointing Nintendo conference ever" post for the 14th

SONY

A condensed list of Sony's presentation:

- Resistance 2
- LittleBigPlanet
- PS2 sizzle reel
- Ratchet & Clank: The Quest for Booty
- PSN sizzle reel (Crash Commando(?), Fat Princess, Flower, Pixeljunk Eden, PAIN, Ragdoll Kung-fu I'm not joking I'm serious, Siren)
- Gran Tourismo TV, a "content network" with shows like Top Gear
- PLAYSTATION HOME!!!
- Movies & TV on Playstation Store
- Resistance: Retribution (PSP)
- PSP sizzle reel (games like Locoroco and Patapon that are dead franchises at this point :( )
- DC Universe Online
- PS3 sizzle reel
- God of War 3 teaser trailer
- Infamous
- MAG

The only hardware announcement is an 80GB PS3 for $400 (boy times have changed)

DC Universe Online is announced in 2008... it doesn't launch until 2011. It looks ugly as gently caress.

This might have been Jack Tretton's first E3, he's extremely nervous and sweaty and has three bottles of water prepared for him on a table. He reads the teleprompter with all the genuineness of a hostage with a blindfold. God of War's teaser is just Kratos on a building and that's it.

Playstation Home brags about having special areas based on Uncharted and Resistance, there's footage of avatars jumping up and down and bowling. They wanted this to be as popular as Second Life, but it didn't even reach... first life!!!!!!

During the movies & TV demonstration they go to rent Dewey Cox from the store and there's only an SD rental available.

I'm sure there's a person out there who fondly loves MAG but this was not a very good game to end a conference on. They talk about how it will have 256 player battles, but don't have a live gameplay demonstration. The trailer looks boring and grey as gently caress. Also this was the era of everything looking boring and grey as gently caress -- Resistance 2 being the biggest offender. Apparently MAG lasted until 2014 before the servers shut down, so I guess it had some success, but most multiplayer games die off quickly when they have 8 v 8 battles, I dunno how you could possibly find a 256 player battle even on the first day of launch.

Of the two, obviously Sony's was better, but both were pretty dull and full of a lot of talking. This is JUST BEFORE the era when E3 conferences went loving buckwild (2009 would be Ubisoft w/ Joel McHale and Laser Tag, 2010 was Konami with luchadors and Mr Caffeine), so there was a lot more "E3 is for investors" stuff and talking sales and charts and graphs.

I remember E3 '08 being a real wet fart. Resistance 2 looked cool (loved the first game) but then I ended up hating it at release. I don't know what microsoft's show was like but I remember Warhawk was still the best thing on the PS3 and Uncharted 2 was shown off for the first time in December of 08??? so the Sony first-party studio beast had not woken up yet. MS was still doing pretty good but literally as soon as Uncharted 2 launched MS began a long rear end slide into self-destruction that culminated with Kinnect and XBone.

Crazy times. The PS4 gen has been drama-free in comparison. AND SO MANY GOOD GAMES!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So I'm guessing that's gonna be the only big game Bethesda has to show?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends how big you consider Rage 2

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sakurazuka posted:

Depends how big you consider Rage 2

I'd already forgotten that was a thing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bungie working on non-Destiny game. Scored 100 million in funding.
https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46925

Probably won't be seeing any info on this for a while

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

maybe it doesn't seem that bad in a vacuum but this is the stuff they're picking to show us for a game that's theoretically hitting full release within six months, and has been being worked on for the past 3 years. a special effect for highlighting walls, and a spell effect you can aim.

even more disheartening, this is literally the most gameplay i've seen in an update from them since the demo they put on steam two years ago

edit: don't worry though because a new demo will be dropping at the end of this month. however, the spells shown in the preceding two clips will not be included in this new demo. because, I guess they're hard to implement, or something.

The game was delayed to 2019 a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They haven't said anything about a delay the official line is still 2018, are you thinking of Shenmue 3?

• Locked thread