Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Sometimes when you open the ship designer the game drops to 5 fps and stays there for a random amount of time. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens often enough that I just kind of try to forget that it's even there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So wait, is there a difference between opening the fleet manager and adding X of ship Y to a fleet and clicking reinforce vs docking the fleet in a shipyard and building the same? All I've been using the fleet manager for is dictating fleet composition using only auto-generated designs (plus any event ships merged into the fleet) and invariably it gets all hosed up. If I can avoid the headache by just docking and building I'll do that.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

Slower overmap movement means where you have your fleet matters more, and having one big deathball is very weak to other strategies. Later on you can make gateways to connect disparate parts of your empire if you desire, and jump drives are a thing still. Increased sensor range becomes useful as you're able to react to threats soon. Changing this too much is going to start messing with how a lot of things are balanced currently, I'd recommend actually playing the current game before digging into mods.

Despite what people go on about, corvettes aren't the be-all and end-all of ship+fleet design. The computer doesn't take steps to counter your fleet composition so the downsides to missile/torp corvettes aren't exploited. For example cruisers/battleships can get 75%+ hit rate against 90% evasion corvettes, and field guns that do enough damage that your corvettes get maybe 1 roll for disengage (I can go dig up the tech layout for kinetic artillery to have 75% hit rate if you like, other weapons are more accurate). If you force the fight in a black hole system there is a -50% chance to disengage, there is a starbase module with -20%, and a titan aura for another -10%. The AI also doesn't build border fortresses, so you're not fighting into an extra 60% hp/armor/dmg and negative auras (like -20% shields, or that -20% disengage chance).

Basically the only thing that isn't really viable right now are strike craft, the edge that a torp corvette has over a mixed fleet is not big enough for that to be the difference maker against the AI. Having a smaller reactive corvette fleet that you combine with border forts while the bulk of your fleet is on the attack can work just fine. Larger ship sizes will have more chances to disengage, and larger weapon slots do better damage (useful for attacking stations or when the AI fields larger ship sizes). As always, the key to winning wars is more about building a stronger economy and turning that into a stronger fleet and winning one sided fights.

Never thought of the strategic use for slower map movement. So Corvettes aren't the absolute king of combat then or at least in single player (I never play multi player) anyway. That's good to hear. Thanks for the info ZypherIM. Did they ever buff fortresses and the like? Are are they still only there to buy a few seconds now that you can't make fortress flowers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When the contingency hubs trigger they automatically convert the system to their ownership. I had a 50k power mega defense chokepoint system which got a hub, starbase and its platforms vanish instantly without a fight. Yes the 200k or so of enemies would have won, but my 150k fleet 2 jumps away may have been able to change the tide.

Hub should have to fight-off any in-system enemies before it gets full ownership! Not cool.

Also I'd like to take back saying corvettes are the only ship worth building. I'm used to playing stellaris in a way where the only real challenging combat I ever get into is with a crisis (which is always contingency) and very specific corvette fleets are the obvious choice against them, but not necessarily all enemies. In some recent wars against normal AI's I found my mixed fleets generally performing better and taking fewer losses than my entirely corvette fleets. BUT the extra strategic mobility of a 100% corvette fleet can more than make up for this if you're already the overdog. Who cares if you lost 4000 more minerals worth of ships in the war, you finished it sooner. Gotta go fast.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 2, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

CitizenKain posted:

I found I couldn't use cruisers against their mothership, since I didn't have enough DPS to drop the thing before it poppped all my cruisers. It seemed to fire frequently enough on my game that it was better to have a bunch of destroyers in there to soak up hits while the Torpvettes did the hardwork.
Hum, could it be up to fleet composition then? All my fleets, except for ones with titans in them, have 20 corvettes at minimum and anywhere from 10-15 destroyers of varying roles. I found that with having my original fleet composition I was taking heavy losses but after switching from 5 to 15 PD destroyers I was able to absolutely clobber them. The corvettes are also nice at drawing early fire since they tend to speed off so the large mount weapons will waste fire on them first, buying the other ships some time.

Looking over a fleet from an older save grey tempest fleets come with 5 cruisers and 1 titan (or at least they do in this game) with a combined 220 fighters. I think some stats may have been changed though because the fighters now do +100% shield penetration and +66% armour penetration. That's different than I remember seeing before but I don't see anything about adjustments to their fleets in the 2.1.1 change log so maybe I'm just remembering wrong? I do see the reduced the HP of missile type weapons and the other half of the grey tempest's fleets are made up of a missile weapon called an Energy Ball or something like that, that does -25% shield damage so PD may be a lot more effective at stopping them than I had originally thought. The mothership's main weapon has the same bonus to shield and armour penetration as the fighters but has a damage potential of 1-9999 making their effectiveness fairly random, the cool down is only 12 days instead of the titan beam's usual 22 days so it can fire faster than I remember though.

Still, with nothing but fighters and missiles PD is very potent against tempest fleets.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So, what's going on here?

My science ship ought to be able to path there.... but can't.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Fintilgin posted:

So, what's going on here?

My science ship ought to be able to path there.... but can't.

Annoying glitch(?). Because the newly spawned system wasn't around when your ship first visited the neighbouring system you don't have any sensor information on it so it counts as completely unexplored. Just send your ship to Pennek and you'll get some data on the new system, allowing you to send ships to it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Thrasophius posted:

Did they ever buff fortresses and the like? Are are they still only there to buy a few seconds now that you can't make fortress flowers.

Fortresses in the form you're thinking of don't exist anymore. Each system can now have a starbase which, among other things, can be decked out with weapons batteries to fortify a system, auras that give bonuses to your ships or penalties to enemy ships, and surrounded by defense platforms (similar to what fortresses used to be, actually, but can't be built separately from a starbase). They won't stop a truly dedicated attack force but they'll be more than enough to deal with smaller fleets and support your own fleets if they're in the same system.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

When the contingency hubs trigger they automatically convert the system to their ownership. I had a 50k power mega defense chokepoint system which got a hub, starbase and its platforms vanish instantly without a fight. Yes the 200k or so of enemies would have won, but my 150k fleet 2 jumps away may have been able to change the tide.

Sounds like a bit of an oversight on paradoxes part. Would've been cool if the contingency awakens on one of your populated worlds (necron style) and having your ground forces fight larger and larger waves as the ghost signal gets stronger and legions of synths awaken. Could have events too were your tiles are locked one by one on the planet as they become over run and turn into machine cities matrix style. If you hold them off you can have event chains as your soldiers delve deeper into the catacombs.

Jabarto posted:

Fortresses in the form you're thinking of don't exist anymore. Each system can now have a starbase which, among other things, can be decked out with weapons batteries to fortify a system, auras that give bonuses to your ships or penalties to enemy ships, and surrounded by defense platforms (similar to what fortresses used to be, actually, but can't be built separately from a starbase). They won't stop a truly dedicated attack force but they'll be more than enough to deal with smaller fleets and support your own fleets if they're in the same system.

Oh that's ok then at least you can have a semi-decent fortification then that'll at least buy a bit of time. Are the auras still area of effect or system wide?

Thrasophius fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 2, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

OwlFancier posted:

if you're wanting the game to randomly design you new ships then what do you need the fleet manager for?

To say “put 100 corvettes in this fleet and reinforce” instead of doing it by hand.

ZypherIM posted:

It is fine to complain that there is a bug with the fleet manager. However, when the solution is literally "turn off auto-update" it is rather silly to talk about how the fleet manager is bad. If you don't want to do anything with the ship designer (weird, bad choice but whatever), nothing is stopping you from opening the ship designer, click auto-complete, click save, open your fleet manager, tell each fleet to upgrade. The benefits of the fleet manager are huge even with auto-design being buggy.

Uh, yes, I am complaining about the bug in the fleet manager. I am aware of how to work around it and have done so to get the benefits thereof. I shouldn’t have to, is the point.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Hum, could it be up to fleet composition then? All my fleets, except for ones with titans in them, have 20 corvettes at minimum and anywhere from 10-15 destroyers of varying roles. I found that with having my original fleet composition I was taking heavy losses but after switching from 5 to 15 PD destroyers I was able to absolutely clobber them. The corvettes are also nice at drawing early fire since they tend to speed off so the large mount weapons will waste fire on them first, buying the other ships some time.

Looking over a fleet from an older save grey tempest fleets come with 5 cruisers and 1 titan (or at least they do in this game) with a combined 220 fighters. I think some stats may have been changed though because the fighters now do +100% shield penetration and +66% armour penetration. That's different than I remember seeing before but I don't see anything about adjustments to their fleets in the 2.1.1 change log so maybe I'm just remembering wrong? I do see the reduced the HP of missile type weapons and the other half of the grey tempest's fleets are made up of a missile weapon called an Energy Ball or something like that, that does -25% shield damage so PD may be a lot more effective at stopping them than I had originally thought. The mothership's main weapon has the same bonus to shield and armour penetration as the fighters but has a damage potential of 1-9999 making their effectiveness fairly random, the cool down is only 12 days instead of the titan beam's usual 22 days so it can fire faster than I remember though.

Still, with nothing but fighters and missiles PD is very potent against tempest fleets.

When they showed up, I was only using corvettes and destroyers. The cruiser unlock took awhile to show up, and when it did there was something else I needed more. I think if I'd been able to get enough materials to actually field more cruisers, it would have gone better. But 15 PD vettes, 20 torpvettes and then a mix of PD destroyers and distruptor destroyers was giving me victories.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Annoying glitch(?). Because the newly spawned system wasn't around when your ship first visited the neighbouring system you don't have any sensor information on it so it counts as completely unexplored. Just send your ship to Pennek and you'll get some data on the new system, allowing you to send ships to it.

Yeah, this worked. Thanks! :)

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I feel like I live in bizarro world sometimes because I don't ever have problems with the fleet manager aside from it's weirdness with auto upgrades. And I can just fix that by upgrading a fleet before I reinforce.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I've had a bug with the fleet manager where it insisted the fleet was at full strength when it says something like 23/24 and I couldn't find any stray reinforcements. Ended up just moving it all into a new, identical fleet.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Another oddity: I (aggressor) have lost 41 ground armies in this war, giving me 23% war exhaustion just from that. My opponent has lost 175 ground armies and gained...0% war exhaustion.

That doesn’t seem quite balanced.

Edit: also there’s no possible way I’ve lost 41 ground armies in this war.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ulmont posted:

Another oddity: I (aggressor) have lost 41 ground armies in this war, giving me 23% war exhaustion just from that. My opponent has lost 175 ground armies and gained...0% war exhaustion.

From what I was reading, defensive armies don't count towards war exhaustion.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

imweasel09 posted:

I feel like I live in bizarro world sometimes because I don't ever have problems with the fleet manager aside from it's weirdness with auto upgrades. And I can just fix that by upgrading a fleet before I reinforce.

Yeah, it took me a second to understand what was going on, but now i love that i can just click reinforce and it starts building ships all over to send to my fleet.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ulmont posted:

The math for war exhaustion makes no sense and isn't worth understanding to my mind. It just is a black box to me. Lose ten systems and three planets? No worries. Do your battleships take damage in the process but not actually suffer losses? 5% war exhaustion. Your corvettes get slammed and emergency warp out? Totes fine. Does nothing happen all month? 1% war exhaustion.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

CitizenKain posted:

When they showed up, I was only using corvettes and destroyers. The cruiser unlock took awhile to show up, and when it did there was something else I needed more. I think if I'd been able to get enough materials to actually field more cruisers, it would have gone better. But 15 PD vettes, 20 torpvettes and then a mix of PD destroyers and distruptor destroyers was giving me victories.

That sounds like a fleet specifically designed to pick them apart. With nothing but PD ships they'd have one weapon that wasn't countered in each fleet and it would have a hard time tracking corvettes. Wish I had taken a closer look at tempest ships when I first encountered them, maybe then they wouldn't have totally screwed up the galaxy (for me and every one else).

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Kaal posted:

The math for war exhaustion makes no sense and isn't worth understanding to my mind. It just is a black box to me. Lose ten systems and three planets? No worries. Do your battleships take damage in the process but not actually suffer losses? 5% war exhaustion. Your corvettes get slammed and emergency warp out? Totes fine. Does nothing happen all month? 1% war exhaustion.

That sounds really lovely. What happens when you reach 100%? Is it like Europa where everything goes to poo poo and people rebel?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I just wish there was a button that said "auto upgrade and if there's not enough energy to do it then remove a shield and replace it with armor."

The ratio can change a lot earlier depending on tech rolls for systems vs reactor upgrades.

:ssh:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

imweasel09 posted:

You're not living in bizarro world, some people just repeatedly complain about the same bug that has the same work-around since 2.0, which doesn't impact gameplay if you're willing to spend any time in the ship designer at all.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Thrasophius posted:

Oh that's ok then at least you can have a semi-decent fortification then that'll at least buy a bit of time. Are the auras still area of effect or system wide?

Yeah, there's an achievement for getting a starbase up to 40k fleet power, if that gives you any idea of what they're capable of. Auras are system wide as near as I can tell.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Thrasophius posted:

End game crisis are supposed to be tough and require more than just any 1 empire to beat, so they've got some kind of bullshit aspects to make them legitimate threats.

Fortress talk, upgraded stations have a really big health+armor pool, and can get upgrades that increase that to even higher amounts. The auras are system wide and highly effective (stuff like -20% enemy shields or +10% friendly fire rate). You can build defense satellites as well which achieve that sort of "flower station" layout, those also get the +hp/armor bonus that the main station gets from modules. Once you get the FTL inhibitor tech, upgraded starbases automatically get one so enemies can't just scoot around the edge of the system to jump past like pre-2.0.

Late game fortresses aren't going to stop a big fleet, but they can slow them down while your guys show up, or allow your fleets to punch above their weight by applying strong auras and soaking a lot of damage (citidals have 100k hp+armor by default, plus 26 slots worth of armor+shield slots. then you can put up to +60% more hp+armor on them, so around 190k hp+armor+shields with level 5 armor+shields).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Thrasophius posted:

That sounds really lovely. What happens when you reach 100%? Is it like Europa where everything goes to poo poo and people rebel?

I believe that you get a 20% happiness malus, and in 24 months your opponent may force a status quo peace. Also war exhaustion is an opinion factor for getting the AI to accept peace terms.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 2, 2018

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Thanks for bringing me up to date on things guys. Reading patch notes is fine and all but it's nice to hear how they have affected the game. So overall is post 2.0 an improvement?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I’d say it is. There’s been some stumbles, but overall I’d say stellaris’ future is incredibly bright. I have little doubt that next years version of stellaris is going to be even better than the current version, which isn’t something I can say of the other paradox games right now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Thrasophius posted:

Thanks for bringing me up to date on things guys. Reading patch notes is fine and all but it's nice to hear how they have affected the game. So overall is post 2.0 an improvement?

Absolutely.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Quite. Losing ground armies should at least give some amount of war exhaustion. Zero is a bit dumb. Even Tyranids would feel the pain after losing entire swarm fleets' worth of units.

This is either a bug or an oversight.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Thrasophius posted:

Oh yeah. Steam is full of dipshits negative review bombing the game because they don't like change, but on the whole the changes have been for the best. Having different FTL options is a fun idea, but with the custom race design it didn't really work out.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
God, I can't wait for tiles to go away. I thought of buying Distant Stars and firing up Stellaris again today, then I thought of managing tiles and click click click upgrading tens of labs or mines or whatever and it just makes my eyes bleed with tedium. I hope the future comes soon.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Guildencrantz posted:

God, I can't wait for tiles to go away. I thought of buying Distant Stars and firing up Stellaris again today, then I thought of managing tiles and click click click upgrading tens of labs or mines or whatever and it just makes my eyes bleed with tedium. I hope the future comes soon.

I was looking through the artbook today, this was a prototype/external mock up type thing from before release:

I don't have any complaints with the current UI, but it's fun to think of what could have been,

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Only thing I don't like about the current UI is that it looks like crap at high res (I play at 2560x1440), and it would be cool to be able to change the color without a mod.

Would also love a volume slider for interface sounds (or turn them off completely.)

Also more starting options - slider for planet size, toggle for initial starbase/fleet/ships would be cool.

Basically been playing 2.1.1b with Distant Stars nonstop and I am really loving the early game now. My favorite strategy is to build an empire with long lived, high level cap leaders, and then take the edict effect/cost civics and government types. At the beginning of the game, I hold off exploring until I get the first discovery opener, then pop Map the Stars and start working on getting as many science ships as possible with as many good leaders in place. With Distant Stars, I've been able to get some really sweet systems in the early game that are close and easy to settle. Fun stuff.

e: Also I will literally buy the poo poo out of these story packs. Not sure what the effort was in terms of coding/man hours to put this out, but all the anomaly variety has really increased the depth and emergent aspect of this game, which I appreciate.

e2: One more request for QOL is to add a "reroll" leader pool button.

Leaders/traits probably need a pass anyway as it is unfun to have field scientists get worthless traits (like $technology expertise). Maybe with the diplomacy update we'll be getting some new leader types, diplomats/spys or whatever. I'd like to see scientists split into two types, researchers and the Away Team science guys. Also way more trait variety please.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 2, 2018

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Gyshall posted:

e2: One more request for QOL is to add a "reroll" leader pool button.

You can just hire and fire until you get what you want. I guess maybe if you had a reroll button that cost a certain amount of energy, it would achieve the same effect.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dogen posted:

You can just hire and fire until you get what you want. I guess maybe if you had a reroll button that cost a certain amount of energy, it would achieve the same effect.

Yeah, that's kind of the point, if I'm going to be abusing the mechanic just make it easy to do, heh. It would be great if it was something like (Leader Pool * 200) or whatever and cost the same thing as hiring/firing the entire pool.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Reroll leader pool button is a good addition for current mechanics but I'd rather see them just take an extra step back and rework leaders in general. Right now you're basically pumping 90% of your leader cap into scientists, scientists are the only ones doing anything cool and getting unique effects via surveying, and then they die unless they're immortal but can still die randomly because balance. Leader cap increase made exp gain traits useful compared to how it used to be but also made lifespan boosters necessary synergy (my old Fleeting species that handled early demise by popping out new leaders at max level is dead and gone). The small leader pool size makes multi species empires extra annoying with the way traits can work.

My gripes about the current system that doesn't involve wholesale overhaul is that I can't change permissions on robots, so I can use templates to specialize for certain tasks and I have a leader type template with the level boosting stuff, but the leader pool is inevitably clogged by worker bots. Hire and fire also has a good couple second pause between hitting the button and being able to do things (because I'm playing on a toaster maybe) so rolling new leaders is a tedious experience.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Dyson Spheres already work like this, right? After you build the framework the Partial stages give you progressively more energy until the final one hits the full 1000 credit cap. Ringworlds should work the same way, you get a basic ring frame that supports like 12-tile sections and then upgrades that eventually fill out to the full 25 per.

Yeah, but the point was more that they should be longer term projects in the sense that you can start building them in the midgame, but only have the tech/perks/resources to actually finish them in the late game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Recently, I played a lot of SEV alongside Stellaris, and boy, as much as I love Space Empires V, that game isn't really made for the thousands of ships and bases you can theoretically have. Every time I have to upgrade something in Stellaris, I'm actually relieved because it's thousands of times faster then the system SEV comes with. :shepface:

(To retrofit designs in SEV, you have multiple options, all come either with horrible loading times, or long times spend just skipping past planets/ships/fleets to find the designs you want to upgrade. Then you have to click your way through multiple menus to select first the ship you want to retrofit, how many units you want to retrofit and what design they should be upgraded to. Later this thing can take literally half an hour or more of your time.)

Anyway, now that I've played Stellaris for a while, I sometimes catch myself trying to find demographics or other Stellaris-things when playing SEV. The sad thing is, SEV's UI is opaque enough it could very well have those functions, but hidden away in one of its many, many menus.

In my conclusion, all wishful dreams about the future aside, Stellaris is a good game and always was, it just keeps getting better. Seriously, try some ancient 4x game some time and compare it to Stellaris, that's when you can feel the progress of time for yourself.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I can compete 1v1 with Admiral/Grand Admiral AI anymore. At least with Glavius' AI, since 2.1 they're nuts and seem to be able to keep at Overwhelming from beginning to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Libluini posted:

Recently, I played a lot of SEV alongside Stellaris, and boy, as much as I love Space Empires V, that game isn't really made for the thousands of ships and bases you can theoretically have. Every time I have to upgrade something in Stellaris, I'm actually relieved because it's thousands of times faster then the system SEV comes with. :shepface:

(To retrofit designs in SEV, you have multiple options, all come either with horrible loading times, or long times spend just skipping past planets/ships/fleets to find the designs you want to upgrade. Then you have to click your way through multiple menus to select first the ship you want to retrofit, how many units you want to retrofit and what design they should be upgraded to. Later this thing can take literally half an hour or more of your time.)

Anyway, now that I've played Stellaris for a while, I sometimes catch myself trying to find demographics or other Stellaris-things when playing SEV. The sad thing is, SEV's UI is opaque enough it could very well have those functions, but hidden away in one of its many, many menus.

In my conclusion, all wishful dreams about the future aside, Stellaris is a good game and always was, it just keeps getting better. Seriously, try some ancient 4x game some time and compare it to Stellaris, that's when you can feel the progress of time for yourself.
I loved SEV back in the day and played the crap out of it, SEIV, SEIII and the shareware of SEII, and I have pretty much the same feelings you do about it. Except, SE had an upgrade facility/building option that you could use empire wide and holy poo poo that was a time saver. With tiles going it's a moot point, but really, I'm honestly surprised Stellaris lacked that one feature that I think SE had way back even in SEIII? (at the very least it was in SEIV).

Also the other week I played a full version of SEII for the first time and, after playing a 4x game that is essentially hyperlanes only, it really just cemented my feelings on Stellaris going the route it has.