Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Baby has great hair, Chili, dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My parents rescued a stray a year or two before I was born. The night I came home from the hospital, she crawled into my crib and slept next to me. Attempts by my parents to keep it from happening again were soundly thwarted by magic cat powers, so abigail kitty slept with me for the next 15ish years of her life until she was too blind to get down out of my bed. It depends on the cat, but some just click and you get to grow up with a super sweet lovable kitty who cuddles up on your pillow next to you every night. :kimchi:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Elmnt80 posted:

My parents rescued a stray a year or two before I was born. The night I came home from the hospital, she crawled into my crib and slept next to me. Attempts by my parents to keep it from happening again were soundly thwarted by magic cat powers, so abigail kitty slept with me for the next 15ish years of her life until she was too blind to get down out of my bed. It depends on the cat, but some just click and you get to grow up with a super sweet lovable kitty who cuddles up on your pillow next to you every night. :kimchi:

What a good kitty. :3:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when we all congratulated you on your new cat (Butterscotch), and you pretended you were only fostering him, and we all pretended to believe you, but really we were all shooting sideways, knowing glaces at each other? I remember that.

By the way, from now on you need to prepend Butterscotch’s name with “the award-winning.”

“The award-winning Butterscotch ate a rubber band, today.”
“The award-winning Butterscoth pooped out a rubber band, today.”

... and so on. You should also update his Twitter handle to reflect his new status.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Remember when we all congratulated you on your new cat (Butterscotch), and you pretended you were only fostering him, and we all pretended to believe you, but really we were all shooting sideways, knowing glaces at each other? I remember that.

By the way, from now on you need to prepend Butterscotch’s name with “the award-winning.”

“The award-winning Butterscotch ate a rubber band, today.”
“The award-winning Butterscoth pooped out a rubber band, today.”

... and so on. You should also update his Twitter handle to reflect his new status.

Haha, we really were stuck on the decision for a while. I know us adopting him seemed like a foregone conclusion but we knew exactly how much of a handful he was going to be. Y'all get the happy, snuggly pictures and funny stuff but believe you me, he's a high maintenance life sucker. And as if he needed any more reason to be a huge diva? He will never learn of his triumph. Ever.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
So I'm doing my first foster. The (adult) cat is a former feral, but super cuddly - hell, the worst interruption to my sleep is that she cuddles SO hard that I'll wake up with her embracing my entire head like a hat and purring.

The problem is she uses her teeth and claws when playing because previous foster homes didn't... teach her not to. Straight up mauling and scratching and ignoring me when I yelp and push her away, and she'll randomly attack me to try and play with me.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Whoa, what's up thread I didn't know about. I'm currently living in Vietnam and working with a local rescue group. Here's Rocky the lovable old man I'm fostering.

He's got a patch of fur still growing in from his surgery when he was brought into the clinic. He was found being attacked by some scumfucks in an alley which left permanent stiffness in his back legs but other than that he's a chill dog.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thats a good dog

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Springfield Fatts posted:

Whoa, what's up thread I didn't know about. I'm currently living in Vietnam and working with a local rescue group. Here's Rocky the lovable old man I'm fostering.

He's got a patch of fur still growing in from his surgery when he was brought into the clinic. He was found being attacked by some scumfucks in an alley which left permanent stiffness in his back legs but other than that he's a chill dog.

Post more. International animal rescue is incredibly interesting! Also, that's a good boy!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Post more.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
A.R.C. - Animal Rescue Care is a small organization in HCMC (former Saigon). We work with a Vietnamese vet and a lot of volunteers to take care of dogs & cats. I've only been with the group for about 4 months, I participate in the dogwalking and maintain the financial books for them. We have a pretty extensive cat group, but I'm incredibly allergic to cats so I don't have much interaction with that branch. Currently we've got five dogs in shelter, and handful others in foster. Like 20+ cats but those come and go into homes much faster than dogs in this city.

This is Nau, another dog we had who was just adopted last week. He was hit on his muzzle with a machete, it was split all the way up his scar but it healed really well and you'd have no idea other than his chunk of nose missing. He's a very sweet dog who will make a great pet.

I swear not all of the animals have been attacked by people, we just had a few more dramatic cases recently. To cleanse your palette here's a more accurate picture or Rocky in his natural setting: sleeping directly in front of the purifier hogging up all the clean air.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:/ people are the worst.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Kitten update!

Dr. Sterling is getting adopted by my parents! He is also The Most Interesting Cat In The World...

They have discovered my office chair.

They are sometimes lapcats.

Here are the twins- Sterling and Major Tom

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

coolusername posted:

So I'm doing my first foster. The (adult) cat is a former feral, but super cuddly - hell, the worst interruption to my sleep is that she cuddles SO hard that I'll wake up with her embracing my entire head like a hat and purring.

The problem is she uses her teeth and claws when playing because previous foster homes didn't... teach her not to. Straight up mauling and scratching and ignoring me when I yelp and push her away, and she'll randomly attack me to try and play with me.

My adoptee is like this. Yelping and then leaving help. She still ambushes my legs daily, but without claws anymore. The other tactic I've used is squishing her (gently) so that she's a bit compressed and mostly immobile but not like, in pain or having her breathing restricted. Sometimes I use a towel or blanket. She's an ornery little poo poo but corporal cuddles and the usual yelp and walk away have helped.

Ignoring on its own isn't enough, you have to leave her alone so she's deprived of you, her favorite toy. Make sure you've got appropriate toys to redirect her with before she gets psycho. Da bird is a classic.

Something I've noted with my idiot is that she can't be allowed to have a perch higher up than my head when I'm sitting or lounging and she also gets super territorial about lying on coats or clothes. All laundry has to be put away or she starts to think she's the boss and she gets mean.

Cat behavior is weird poo poo.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Weird poo poo indeed.

Kitty has a forever home! They found her a big family, which should give her all the attention her little heart desires, so she'll be leaving in a few days.

I miss her already but I'm trying to be strong for my first successful foster!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Momcat Is going back to her owner- I dropped her off for her spay half an hour ago. I paid the vet to shave her butt while she's under so she'll have at least some time without having horribly matted fur...

...and I left my number in case the owner is a flake and for some reason doesn't pick her up on time. I give it 50/50. :/ I know the owner won't keep her inside- when I talked to her previously she actually asked me where cats poop and pee if you don't let them outside and seemed bemused by the idea of a litter box. I just keep telling myself "not my cat, at least she's getting spayed."

All four kittens are going to FANTASTIC homes though, so that's a huge plus!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Wroughtirony posted:

Momcat Is going back to her owner- I dropped her off for her spay half an hour ago. I paid the vet to shave her butt while she's under so she'll have at least some time without having horribly matted fur...

...and I left my number in case the owner is a flake and for some reason doesn't pick her up on time. I give it 50/50. :/ I know the owner won't keep her inside- when I talked to her previously she actually asked me where cats poop and pee if you don't let them outside and seemed bemused by the idea of a litter box. I just keep telling myself "not my cat, at least she's getting spayed."

All four kittens are going to FANTASTIC homes though, so that's a huge plus!

All of those kittens were ridiculously cute, and I am glad at least one of them is remaining within the family, so to speak.

Sorry to hear about the issues with momcat's previous/current owner. Maintaining a litterbox is probably the lowest-intensity pet maintenance activity out there next to feeding them (and cats take to it pretty naturally/readily), so the reaction to that is just a little concerning.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I found this Butterganger in a Twitter reply thread and figured this thread might appreciate her:

https://twitter.com/NEHumaneSociety/status/1007357253119299585

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
And another one, wrong coloration but still beefy.

https://twitter.com/PasadenaHumane/status/1007323459888640000

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

I found this Butterganger in a Twitter reply thread and figured this thread might appreciate her:

That's pretty drat uncanny. Good find!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Antivehicular posted:

The placement of that first pic and the line "a diet may be necessary" is just perfect :allears:.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Lord Butters and Lady Crisco

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Spots the Round Mound

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Hey guys! I'm fostering a blind and mostly deaf fluffball dog. His paperwork says "maltese" but I see Lhasa/spaniel or maybe Lhasa/pekinese. He is black and white and soft and pitiful. He was picked up with glaucoma in both his eyes so they operated and took them out.

He is so very very sweet, and in spite of everything gets around really well.He comes and finds me in the house and lays on my feet. I've had him for about 2 weeks now and he's settling in..but my god this dog is pitiful. I can't tell if he's elderly or just really bad off. He got tons of fatty tumors, his spine is sticking out because fur isn't growing there. He also dribbles pee. I'm going to have this dog for a long long while I think.

My question!

So one of his eyes leaks. nothing gross, just the usual kind of eye gunk discharge. However because his eyes are sealed it kind of forms a gunk spike that sticks out. Is there some secret way to wash it away? I was using a warm, wet paper towel but it didn't really seem to cut it. And I do have to admit to being pretty squicked out putting much pressure on the area. Anyone have a suggestion for something better to use to clean it? wet wipes maybe?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Hey guys! I'm fostering a blind and mostly deaf fluffball dog. His paperwork says "maltese" but I see Lhasa/spaniel or maybe Lhasa/pekinese. He is black and white and soft and pitiful. He was picked up with glaucoma in both his eyes so they operated and took them out.

He is so very very sweet, and in spite of everything gets around really well.He comes and finds me in the house and lays on my feet. I've had him for about 2 weeks now and he's settling in..but my god this dog is pitiful. I can't tell if he's elderly or just really bad off. He got tons of fatty tumors, his spine is sticking out because fur isn't growing there. He also dribbles pee. I'm going to have this dog for a long long while I think.

My question!

So one of his eyes leaks. nothing gross, just the usual kind of eye gunk discharge. However because his eyes are sealed it kind of forms a gunk spike that sticks out. Is there some secret way to wash it away? I was using a warm, wet paper towel but it didn't really seem to cut it. And I do have to admit to being pretty squicked out putting much pressure on the area. Anyone have a suggestion for something better to use to clean it? wet wipes maybe?

Good on you!

First off, where are the pictures.

Second, yeah that sounds like a tough situation. I do know that there are baby face wipes out there, they might prove to be more gentle and easy on the region than your standard ones. I'd check to make sure that wipes you are using are alcohol-free. But, also, this sounds like a really good question to ask your fostering people. Have you tried reaching out to them?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Chili posted:

Good on you!

First off, where are the pictures.

Second, yeah that sounds like a tough situation. I do know that there are baby face wipes out there, they might prove to be more gentle and easy on the region than your standard ones. I'd check to make sure that wipes you are using are alcohol-free. But, also, this sounds like a really good question to ask your fostering people. Have you tried reaching out to them?

Yeah I probably should, just figured the goon hive-mind might know. And I do have pics! I'll have to see about some up.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Yeah I probably should, just figured the goon hive-mind might know. And I do have pics! I'll have to see about some up.

Even if we did, the people you foster with might get upset with you if you try anything beyond obviously harmless/minimal interventions. I'm sure you'll do fine though, and keep us updated!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

My fosterfloofs are getting fixed today, and two of them are probably going to their forever home this weekend. The one that my parents are adopting is staying with us until August, but I'm going to miss Stevie and Major Tom!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:frog:

the portal has once again opened.

always right before work wtf

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Does dog go boof? It looks like a boof dog. Also did they drop it off collar and all?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
much like every other animal ive posted in the thread except for the one where I saw the guy ditch her into the fence, its just more like walk outside in the morning and oh hi skinny malnourished dog.

gently caress.

chili cursed me by calling me a feral animal magnet.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 29, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Was your house at one time a veterinary clinic or something?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nope. its just off a private dirt road that's kind of tucked away. Apparently to fuckheads that's a magical sign to "ditch your responsibilities here"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

this rear end in a top hat knows what he is doing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How many dogs do you have now, sneakyfrog?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
4 dogs and 3 cats

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

aaaaand the g/f keeps sending pictures...…

im thinking he'll already be moved into the house by the time I get home.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sneakyfrog posted:

aaaaand the g/f keeps sending pictures...…

im thinking he'll already be moved into the house by the time I get home.

Sorry Sneaky, but I don't think that Good Boy is going anywhere.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

coolusername posted:

Oh hey, it's my cat. His previous owner raised him from a kitten but apparently forgot or didn't know how to teach him not to be a bitey rear end in a top hat. I can't play with him with hands at all because he bites like a motherfucker and after two years he's finally stopped ankle biting everyday but he still occasionally mauls one of my legs for no apparent reason. He really clamps on as well, teeth and all front claws.

I've gotten very good at spotting the warning signs and defending myself but sometimes he gets the devil in his eyes and welp, that's a maulin', no toy is distracting him. Literally the only thing I can do is close a door between us for a few minutes, and when I come back he always gives me this cute little confused face like "we were playing, where did you go?"

Godamn he's lucky he's a sweetheart the rest of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my bank account is already crying.